As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Storm March] Group 1 — First Light

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Critical Failures
Prologue

“Darling, have you heard the buzz about the Tempest Wall?”, says a nice enough woman from behind a newspaper.

“Yes, yes, it’s all anyone is talking about. It won’t come to pass, of course, one simply can’t go beyond the Wall. Fact of life, law of nature, that sort of thing.”, her partner replies.

She lights a pipe and snatched up the newspaper playfully.

Obviously crestfallen, the nice enough woman continues, “Of course. But it is a lovely idea, don’t you agree? Three fleets ejecting their most brutal weapons of war into the eternal storm, all in the hopes that three— what are they calling them?

“Isleships”, a chuckle, “Tiny islands rigged with engines and unsavoury magic to let them chug along like a clumsy galleon.”

“That’s right. Isleships. Then when a break in the Tempest Wall is made three isleships of three separate nations working in unison sail off to an unknown sky. Ever so romantic.”

“Perhaps dear, perhaps. But it’s simply impossible, they’re doomed to fail.”

“We’re doomed!”, Quartermaster Adair hollers as he grips the wheel of Aurlancea, the ceiling of the bridge tearing off a moment after.

Even so he’s grinning as he banks an entire island away from Pang’s Wish, which has risen to avoid some danger.

Lightning rips and forks but will never strike, for there is no ground here, only bruised black clouds and bullet fast rock the size of fists. If he lives that long, Kani is going to reveal in being the old man that says, “You’ve not experienced a storm ‘til it's been all around you with no way to go but through!”

Kani is a lookout on Maykupuni, but right now he’s hiding below, and no one will hold that against him. Not as one of their own galleons is torn from its chains and blown to shrapnel in seconds against the storm.

Luckily for you, some enterprising logistics officer from Nijico got every crewman, mercenary and scholar aboard the isleships ear-muffs to drown out the thunder. Unfortunately you still feel like your soul is being vibrated out of your body by the incessant roll of angry clouds. No matter who you are, you’re being thrown about, suffering madalies you never knew existed, and overall you feel one thing: Doomed.

But time passes, and you arrive. Shaken yet renewed, baptised by the Tempest Wall herself, each pioneer tentatively looks over the damage to the three isleships, this new Steading, and is awestruck by a new sky full of untamed islands that lies beyond it.

None know who coined it, and it’s the first argument of many around the Steading, but before you by dawn’s golden light is the Storm March. No one’s islands, a free sky, a new world, yours for the taking.

Far from you courageous explorers and storied exiles, a nice enough woman looks out from her balcony, and sighs.

Endless_Serpents on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The Current Roster
    @Nips
    Doruthan, Living Inferno Man

@joshgotro
    Imani, Slickest Fighter Ever

@Elvenshae
    Exilis, Go Go Aquilaean Ranger

@Mahnmut
    Hawthorne, Trickster Cleric of the Moon

More adventurers are welcome to join! Just send me a PM. When I have at least three I’d be happy to start a series of adventures for you that’ll happen alongside the others. Later, new parties can be set up.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2019
    The Pitch

Persistent World
    The adventures you undertake are in your hands. There’s no pre-planned story. In its place is a living, breathing world that moves with and without you. You affect it, and it pushes back. A danger left to linger will grow, people will go about their schemes while you are away, changes you make will persist, and marks of your passing will be found by other adventuring parties.

Changing Alliances
    There are no set parties in Storm March. Instead you team up with other adventurers interested in taking the same quest, or convinced to pursue your personal expedition. Adventurers can switch parties after every jaunt into the Storm March.

Pulp Serials
    Every quest is self contained. You venture into the unknown, land on a new island, find or are found by adventure, and return home to the Steading by its natural end.

Every session (after forming a party at the Steading) begins just before landing at your destination, or in the thick of action after landing. There is no time to waste in the Storm March.

The Steading
    Consisting of three very different locales, every session begins with a quick scene at the Steading. After a quest is completed the current party will carouse together, then part ways. The Steading is safe, and is a place for trade and discussion for those not currently in a party. The Steading will grow over time, as of the initial sessions it is still recovering from the journey through the Tempest Wall.

A quest or two may take place in the Steading if a few players suggest it, but to begin with these are tales of exploration, mystery and daring, rather than intrigue.

The Skies Beyond
    Choose your own reason you don’t want to go back to where you came from, for otherwise it makes little sense for you to be here. Should you wish to retire a character, or you can no longer play, it’s assumed that adventurer has ‘gone back to the farm’ until further notice.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2019
    Extra Character Creation Rules

Getting Started
    Create a level 1 character using any of the standard classes, including Barbarian, Arcane Duelist and Immolator. The rules for Dungeon World can be found online, here are some resources for those that don’t have the book.

https://book.dwgazetteer.com/

https://a-dungeon-world.fandom.com

Traditionally there should be no duplicate classes in a Dungeon World game, but I’ll allow it, as I do not expect two characters to be roleplayed the same nor take the same advances as they level up. Through play we will define each character, and if your narrative has a defining moment I will create a custom move or even an entire compendium class appropriate for you to take when you next level up.

I suggest using these character sheets if you have google drive/docs:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5YvczkvmuTucVFaZ1FzMlZWS2M

Otherwise many other blank sheets can be found online, or you can just write down your details by hand. There isn’t too much to your character.

If you want to play a third party class just run it by me first.

Cultural Options
    Your character sheet asks you to select a race, and thereby gain a racial move. In Storm March, you instead make up your own race (or a culture, lineage, or house). Give your kind a name, or an associated island, and either choose an appropriate move from the standard options, or work with the GM to create a move to suit.

As an example:
    Melovian
    You're one of the blue skinned, horned and roguishly charming folk from Melovia, a crumbling city state.
    When you break a social taboo, and manage to talk your way out of it, mark experience.

Red Rock Islander
    You’re a great hulking rough and ready sort, hard as the island you hail from.
    When you take damage, you can ignore it and take a debility instead.

Flying Mount
    Next make a flying mount. Further rules for flying mounts are found here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HIfqgwRlzG0GrVSNHt_GBdnJTt3JjlWfMLzUUlJEeOQ

Add your mount as a note on your character sheet.

Populate the Steading
    Finally, make an NPC. Further rules for this character are found here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LBLhWmVFIiCIIUKkCrrOJsWaVP0lV9Ca_m3-97fdMHY

You do not need to make this character right now, but instead introduce them as you see fit.

For now just focus on making a character, we’ll build the rest up as we go.

Endless_Serpents on
    The Steading

These three isleships have boldly blazed a trail through the Tempest Wall and now, battered but lively, they rest. They are collectively known as the Steading, and people can walk (on rickety temporary bridges) and fly freely between them. Though there are those with obvious allegiances this is strictly speaking a joint venture.

Choose a isleship to hail from. At a minimum you can find a bed for the night on that isleship, but you don’t own any property. You are assumed to be from a home island of the patron nation, but you need not be.

Aurlancea
    The Golden Isleship
    Commissioned by the Osnier Republic.
    Hundreds of years ago a little country stole half of the sky and founded an empire that shaped the destiny of a thousand islands for centuries to come.
    A dozen civil wars, usurpations, expansions, regressions and treaties later, and the empire became a diplomatic republic with a representative of every major and minor island chain having a seat at the elected high council.
    Osnier is currently the largest nation in the skies, though huge tracts of uninhabited islands and those kept for strategic positioning are disputed by many.
    Those here on behalf of Osnier are quite honest on why they’re here, though no two will have quite the same answer. Wealth, the thrill of danger, a claim to stake, patriotic pride, curiosity.
    As far as the Republic is concerned they simply have a right to be here for their sheer grit and ingenuity in getting here.

Aurlancea is a dusty frontier town with some decadent trappings.

Pang’s Wish
    The Verdant Isleship
    Commissioned by the Temple of Renewal.
    Officially a neutral religious group, the Temple is widespread but ultimately Mysian in origin. Mysia is known as ‘The Last Kingdom’, a small nation lead by a young queen and a fearsome elite guard of warrior monks and devilish assassins. Or so they say. Mysia has been on the backpedal for generations, and claiming new ground would be of significant benefit to their queen, who rules in the stead of her father, who chose to abdicate.
    The Temple of Renewal in contrast is rising, a welcoming faith that believes strongly in redemption, the interconnected nature of all mortal life, liberty, and rustic living. Those less charitable say they draw in the unwanted and strange. If pressed, many members claim they’re just here to keep the peace, spread the faith and bask in the beauty of the wilderness.

Pang’s Wish is a calm garden with a single small snowy mountain.

Maykupuni
    The Sapphire Isleship
    Commissioned by the Sabaan League.
    The League is perhaps the oldest of nations, this has afforded them time to solidify their governance and defences, and none would be mad enough to make direct war on them in this era.
    Beginning as a handful of tiny islands, the Sabaan integrated other islands over the centuries as more industrial nations pushed them aside, giving them a quite true charitable history, though they’ve wiped their fair share of ‘troublemakers’ off the map too.
    The Sabaan League could be called tribal despite their high art, technology and magic, which is on par with any nation. Each individual island is lead by a chief, or some other manner traditional to that particular group, but each holds a binding contract in the Tablet of Order, which keeps them on hand to feed the hungry of a neighbour, fight on their behalf, and abide by the law of the island they’re currently standing on. It works to be sure, but at the cost of change being difficult among the islands.
    Which begs the question why they’re so far from home at all...

Maykupuni is a tropical paradise with a warrior motif.

I feel it’s very important to note that this isn’t my setting and story, but yours. Any details I have created so far (such as the three isleships) are just to get you started. I will often ask you questions about the world or what you’ve seen, and your answer will be the truth.

My final setting extra are additional weapons. You can rebrand any existing weapon you can start with as something more exotic, though you can’t alter its tags, or you can replace one starting weapon with one of these:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/16HmhDzrq7KGaDD-TNHKrk4_01POfojvQ_BFPMwcQi4I

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Reporting for duty! My duty is funtimes. I'll start cooking a character for this today.

As an aside: I see you've linked to the Dungeon World SRD. There's another site that has it, that I've found to be much more friendly and less like a god-awful eyesore, and it's much more friendly on mobile:
    https://book.dwgazetteer.com/

Y'know, if people are into that sort of thing.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Grand, I’d forgotten what that one was called (I had been looking) but you’re right, it’s twice as good! Thank you.

Glad to have you onboard.

For your benefit and the rest of the GToG crew, you are still the focus of my attention until you all die I mean defeat Glamjin.

Some visual cues:
    mnmpa2ww7xu9.jpeg
    552h13y0zou8.jpeg
    o5dbejn7o0lz.jpeg
    8x4yzdrahcbx.jpeg
    wrizt6t2p96l.jpeg
    n8mugtplrzx7.jpeg

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Love these references! After reading this material, I'm working out a Cleric from Osnier with the domain The Downtrodden and Forgotten.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Very cool. A cleric in a brand new setting is a very interesting character indeed! There are no established religions (nothing besides the name is known about the Temple of Renewal as yet) so whatever you come up with will be one of the main religions of the world.

As a new player I think it’s just a good general reminder that your Constitution score, not the +1 or so bonus is added to your HP. If it’s not double digits have a look again. It’s a common mistake so I figured I’d mention it.

Any thoughts on your race? Or what you’ll be flying around on?

Very cool. A cleric in a brand new setting is a very interesting character indeed! There are no established religions (nothing besides the name is known about the Temple of Renewal as yet) so whatever you come up with will be one of the main religions of the world.

As a new player I think it’s just a good general reminder that your Constitution score, not the +1 or so bonus is added to your HP. If it’s not double digits have a look again. It’s a common mistake so I figured I’d mention it.

Any thoughts on your race? Or what you’ll be flying around on?

Sisan
    You're from Sisa, an industrial city on a barren island. Working Sisans are ethnically diverse, but run short and frail.

Jenna - Rock Krake
    Look: Rough gray skin, hints of lilac. Mass-produced saddle and bags.
    Tag: Clever
    Instinct: Curious - to follow light and noise

Good solid picks @Mahnmut

My hunch is you’re going to use the dwarf move, but if not just PM me and we’ll work on a Sisan move.

edited May 2019
    Good solid picks @Mahnmut

My hunch is you’re going to use the dwarf move, but if not just PM me and we’ll work on a Sisan move.

Haha, that tracks, but I think the Human move, actually. :biggrin: Your faith is diverse -- you know a wizard spell as a cleric spell. I'll pick Invisibility:

Deity: _______
    Domain: The Downtrodden and Forgotten
    Petition: Gaining Secrets

_____ was originally a trickster god of thieves and vagabonds, but her portfolio broadened as her cult grew among the dispossessed, taking influence from the Temple of Renewal's popular philosophies. ____ governs chance, second chances, and solidarity; her favorites are quick-witted, daring, and self-sufficient, but don't hesitate to lend or accept a helping hand. The only gift she accepts from her followers, who don't have much, is knowledge: share a story, a secret, or an inconvenient truth with ____, and she'll smile back at you.

Uhhh so this is pretty nearly the Blue Lady from Max Gladstone's books. (: I might even go all-in on stealing and name her that? But I'd be interested in a different skinning, like Raccoon Mom or Alley Krake, if I can land on something evocative.

Mahnmut on
    edited May 2019
    Luck is often The Lady, I recall a similar character by that name in the Discworld novels. Whether you call her straight up the Blue Lady is up to you, but I think she’ll fit right in as a Osnier goddess. They’ve got a bit of Western frontier in their design, so a god of chance sounds good to me. For second chances her being a good aligned devil with a scary sounding name might be interesting.

Madam Chance? The Rose-red Lady? Dame Masque? Up to you.

Endless_Serpents on
    Alright, I'm slowly working over my character idea; it's not immediately popping for me, so I think I have to simmer on it a bit more.

I want to try playing an Immolator, but I think the problem I'm having is the class feels like it's all over the place.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited May 2019
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say it is subpar compared to the others. I’ve altered it for you. Now it focuses on being a rebel, and is much more helpful to the party.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MbGWhRZ9DtsgkcUQpiSSQW8horcmHrR3yj9schpiqSw

Edit: I was almost tempted to name it the Phoenix, because I’ve realised you’re a psychic with fire powers.

More edit: If you choose this class, you do not begin knowing why you have these powers. You’re in opposition narratively to the wizard (education, effort) and the cleric (chosen, faithful) as your powers are a mystery. You can have a good guess though, and you’ll get a compendium class later when we learn the origin of your power.

Afternoon edit:
    The Immolator inspiration:
    - Jean Grey from X-Men
    - Melisandre from A Song of Ice and Fire
    - Furiosa from Mad Max: Fury Road
    - Lucifer from Biblical Myth
    - V from V for Vendetta
    You’re a loose canon that’ll burn themselves into the ground, but not before sparking great change.

Endless_Serpents on
    Nips, I thought the same about the Immolator! The Look and Demeanor had me popping, but when I sat down to read the moves, I was like, who... is this....

Love the note about Western frontier. I think my god is "Sister Moon" for now. Character sheet here!.

Hawthorn! That’s grand! What a fun character.

Add this item to your character sheet:

Serene Orb
    A palm sized glass orb with layers of water and smaller orbs inside. The water moves very slowly yet continuously. 0 weight.

When you place the Serene Orb in a large body of water, it will bring it to stillness and make it absolutely clear right to the bottom until it is removed.

Should the Serene Orb be shattered all nearby water will rush towards it in sudden waves from all sides.

Dwell on the answers to these questions and bring them up later during play.
    - Where did you acquire the Serene Orb?
    - Why shouldn’t you own it?

Is everyone okay with starting on say, Tuesday?

If we only get enough folks for one party we will of course continue as a normal campaign using this thread for our adventures. Should that happen I’ll have a recruitment drive after our first adventure and see if it takes. It’s not a big deal, I’m just fond of the idea of a shared world, bit of friendly rivalry and such, you know?

Okay, things are starting to coalesce. @Endless_Serpents, I'll take that Inferno class! It speaks a little more to me than the RAW Immolator.

Meet Doruthan Truthseeker!

taVFxMTl.jpg

Doruthan is a Karstuma. The Karstuma were discovered in the wake of a meteor shower that struck an outlying island of the Sabaan League several hundred years ago. They have no memory of a past prior to waking from the meteor shower, and investigations and divinations into that past have yielded...nothing. Simply nothing, as if the Tempest Wall vomited them wholesale into existence on that day. As they are strongly tied to their meteoric birth, Karstumans are immune to non-magical heat and fire. [OOC: I decided I wanted to use the RAW Immolator/Salamander racial, as it fits really well into the picture in my head.]

Doruthan has taken the surname/title Truthseeker. He believes that his people do have a history, but it is lost beyond the Tempest Wall. Therefore, he intends to travel through the wall to discover that past, and return that truth to his people.

Doruthan travels aboard the Maykupuni. His mount is an Earthsky Wurm, a curious creature also found only after the meteor shower. Resembling a scaled eel, Earthsky Wurms are named as such because while they tend to burrow and hide in earthen holes, they can be coaxed into flight with proper motivation; no one quite understands how they fly, but conjecture is that their superheated blood combined with relative light-weight causes them to rise much like a balloon.
    Inspiration:
    Abyss_Worm.jpg

Doruthan's Wurm is named Squall, and it's a particularly...unpleasant creature. At least, to everyone except Doruthan. It has the tag frightening, and the instinct Glutton.

edited May 2019
    That’s straight up the most badass character I’ve seen this year.
    I’m glad I could help make you a class that worked for you. That’s a fine racial move, it makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the plot hooks!

You might want to whack Squall on your character sheet, as though there isn’t much to it they can level up to a lesser degree.

Endless_Serpents on
    Added!
    Mount	Earthsky Wurm	
    Name	Squall	
    Look	"Stony grey scales, toothy maw.
    	Hand-crafted saddle and bags."	
    Tags	Frightening	
    Instinct	Glutton: To feed whenever it can.

I think there's an error on Elvenshae's and Mahnmut's sheets.

RAW has a stat array of 16, 15, 13, 12, 9, 8.
    Their sheets have an array of 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8

Not sure if I'm missing something that's class-specific in either case.

edited May 2019
    @Elvenshae
    I like the overall theme of your guy! Keep it up, and glad to have you here.

Please add this item to your inventory once you’ve finished making your character:

Fan Fence
    Neatly packed to allow for travel, the fan fence is an ingenious defensive device once used by a now ruined nation—they could not defend against internal strife—but this item still remains useful. It is made of thin, light-weight alloy. 1 weight.

When you throw the fan fence down it becomes a chest high obstacle a few feet long that can be used as cover against your enemies. It puts whoever it is thrown in front of in an advantageous position, providing they weren’t in mid sprint!

It takes a fair bit of time to repack afterwards.

@Nips
    Good catch.

I’m loath to say it, but you guys need to knock your stats around a smidge.

Correct stat array for everyone:
    16, 15, 13, 12, 9, 8.

Score <——> Modifier
    1–3 <——> -3
    4–5 <——> -2
    6–8 <——> -1
    9–12 <——> 0
    13–15 <——> +1
    16–17 <——> +2
    18 <——> +3

This keeps the fabled +3 bonus a couple of levels away.

I can only assume it’s written incorrectly on your sheets to start with, no biggie.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2019
    Roger! Yeah, the sheets in that drive folder say 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8, is why

Mahnmut on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    During its expansionistic face, the Osnier Empire subjugated hundreds, if not thousands, of independent city-states, tribes minor and major, and assorted other polities. Some, however, joined the Empire willingly, such as the tribe the Empire called the "Aquilaeans" for their close bonds with the electrum eagles of their home islands. Some hundreds of years ago, this race of mottled-golden-skinned, earless, hairless humanoids was embroiled in a generations-spanning war with the Oh'rah-hain, a smaller tribe that prospered through use of blood magics. Seeking an end to the stalemate, the Aquilaeans offered a century of servitude to the Empire in exchange for help against their foe. Together, the Empire and the Aquilaeans defeated the Oh'rah-hain in a series of bloody campaigns, during which the Oh'rah-hain were completely wiped from the skies. Afterwards, Aquilaean scouts and sky-cavalry were key contributors to the Empire's expansion into and pacification of their region of the sky.

Even after their century of indenture ended, the Aquilaeans continued to serve with the armies of the Empire and were present at the founding of the Republic. Aquilaean scouts are still sought-out by canny commanders and, while the role of sky-cavalry is somewhat reduced in the face of armed galleons-of-war, electrum-eagle-riding warriors still help defend the Republic's borders.

Exilis is an Aquilaean scout. After a two-year tour with the 8th Border Regiment of the Osnier Republic, he returned home to find himself called to further indoctrination into his tribe's shamanistic traditions. Having trained far enough to earn his first flight-feather tattoo, he was sent out into the world on a spirit quest. During his wandering, he ran into a former commander, now Second Adjutant for Intelligence aboard the Aurlancea, who invited Exilis to join the expedition. After consulting his augury bones ("mixed, good"), Exilis now finds himself in an alien sky.
    6roqa7js3pgi.png

Exilis is accompanied on his journey by Iugo, his electrum eagle mount, and Peregrinus, a minor eagle of uncertain species that is probably smarter than it lets on.

The electrum eagles of the Aquilaeans are so named because of their mix of brilliant golden and silver metallic plumage. As the great eagles mature, their feathers - which are a rather non-descript brown at hatching - take on greater and greater luster. At full maturity, they achieve a mirror-like polish - a flight of such eagles passing overhead is sight rarely equaled. Fortunately for the eagles, the feathers fade back into brown once they are plucked or molted, or upon the death of the eagle, making them largely useless as ornamentation - though many claim that a primary flight feather from an electrum eagle brings good luck. Iugo's feathers are brown but showing hints of their future, indicating that the eagle has not yet reached maturity.

Exilis's gear is a mix of tribal hand-made and mass-produced Osnier army equipment, based largely on where he was when a particular piece wore out. Iugo's saddle and tack are primarily of Aquilaean manufacture, though several key pieces - a piece of light-plate keelbone barding, several buckles, and one generous pannier - are of Osnier make.

Second Adjutant for Intelligence Marcus Temporus is a serving officer in the military of the Osnier Republic. Based on the Aurlancea, he is one of the key players in the management of the exploration, mapping, and eventual exploitation of the Storm March. Marcus Temporus is a short, stocky man with greying hair and a well-lined face earned in long service to the Osnier Republic. His uniform is always immaculate, even on campaign, and his grumbling demeanor hides a genuine care for the men, women, and others under his command. Marcus Temporus works closely with his counterparts onboard the Pang's Wish and the Maykupuni, making him a key information broker.

Elvenshae on
    Exilis, mark experience. Good job!

Tomorrow at 1200GMT we will begin! Everything will be in-character once we start. You can always say something out of character just by putting [OOC: your text] at the end of your post.
    There will be hand drawn maps! Terrible, terrible hand drawn maps!

uo7rtt8mngnu.jpeg
    wwp720xpaaf0.jpeg
    0i3kx7xz63bg.jpeg
    t89y29ilkegy.jpeg

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My character post is coming. Work has been something of a pain.
    Quick preview.
    wk4jkda8m06a.jpg

No worries. Half a second after seeing your character I heard this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbkF-15ObM

That’s the slickest looking Fighter I’ve ever seen! Charisma has gotta be at +1 for you!

edited May 2019
    Pang’s Wish
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCOr7_cQkGQ

Today is the day. You’ve all made it, and while this shared triumph shines radiantly on the three isleships rank and status holds no sway. The Day of Fools they’ll call it back home, but for you it is the first day of a new calendar, a festival, the Eve of Exploration. Potential swirls on the wind.

“Our best are preparing for more important expeditions.”, Abbot Hue is quick to explain, “But it is felt prudent, as a show of solidarity, that a symbol of the Steading as a whole is brought to a fitting island.”

Aurlancea’s Second Adjutant for Intelligence, the infamous Marcus Temporus, smiles thinly at the abbot, then turns to Exilis.

“So you lot are needed. Pick whatever island you like, doesn’t make much odds.”, he says in his cigarette hoarse Rothimere accent.

Ma Kualu cuts in with a raise of her brow, “An island fitting as neutral ground, I’d remind you, as to be used at a later date as a trade hub and council meeting place.”

“Aye, though we’ve no knowledge of what’s out there, so don’t get yourself killed for the sake of a rock.”, Marcus growls, “You’ll make the right choice though, I’m sure of that.”

He nods to you Exilis, and you feel warmed by his confidence.

Ma Kualu unveils a statue, passing the white sheet to her elderly krake, who wraps it around his slender tentacles like a fretful washer.

Your mission is to land on the island of your choice and claim it as neutral ground.

One of you take this following item.
    Grandiose Symbol
    A large marble statue hewn with a paragraph on your collective victory and some common laws. It depicts several riders ahead of three galleons with a nude woman (vaguely any or no race) holding a torch and carrying a book.
    3 weight.

You are all on Pang’s Wish, stood in the Garden of Serenity. The three older agents stand inside a sheltered public hut made from bamboo, shielding them from the hot summer sun. Ma sits, but the abbot and officer stand rigid on opposite sides. The statue stands before you, and you eye each other as you watch from the gravelled ground.

Around you are every flower you’ve ever imagined, and scent of herb and flower pervades the air.
    Pang’s Wish

t3gucj1h4yd1.jpeg

1. The Temple of Renewal
    2. Living quarters and shops
    3. Garden of Serenity
    4. Bright Beacon (lighthouse)
    5. Cavern entrance
    6. Thermal Bathhouse
    7. Underground living quarters

A. Rolling hilly terrain
    B. Mountain
    C. Snowy peak
    D. Illuminated cavern

More detailed descriptions will be gained as you find them out.

Give me a quick flashback to moments before arriving at Pang’s Wish, and tell me why you’d take on this task.

There’s no shopping before you head out, you’ve brought all you could afford to this mission already.

Feel free to ask questions, and plan together.

OOC: After work today you’ll have three options where to land.

Endless_Serpents on
    Abbot Hue
    nwsxdnn29mdz.jpeg
    Though a monk, Hue gives off an aura of a warrior. They’re older than they look, and remember a very different world for the world’s most widespread religion. Rumour has it Hue is related to the royalty of Mysia.

Marcus Temporus
    6k7kqdjy28fm.jpeg
    Diplomacy, and diplomacy by other means, that’s his work. Marcus lives for the Republic, and has risked his life for it more than once. His family is broad and well-travelled, and if not for his lion-like tail you’d never know where he hailed from originally.

Ma Kualu
    j6wq94iaa8yn.jpeg
    Significantly younger than the title ‘ma’ would indicate, she inherited her status from her late mother. Officially she is an ordinary woman, just another member of Maykupuni. Off the records she is the chief of what remains of her tribe, and on her street her word is law.

"Doru, just because the Expedition Chiefs have requested volunteers doesn't mean you need to jump at the first opportunity to leave the isleships. We haven't even fully divined our landing position! Going in blind beyond the Tempest Wall, even to a simple rock, is foolhardy." The woman berating the spiritual seeker isn't even looking at him as she upbraids him, instead intently flipping through an ancient tome.

"Toth, the leadership seeks to make a point, a gesture of solidarity. A gesture I believe in, truly. You clearly understand gestures, as you're always fiddling with the somatics of your auguries," the mountain of a man pokes fun at the mage with a smile, his opposite on this voyage. "Besides, I have my six senses and the protection of my ancestral flames, though I doubt I'll have need to rely on them if the rock is as simple as you say."

The woman squints at Doruthan, her face contorted in a way as if to say why do you always choose to leap before looking?

Toth Menassus, Augur Emeritus of the Fullbright Consortium

Toth, via the Consortium, was a member of the original expedition after the meteor swarm delivered Doruthan's people to their island home. She has used every form of divination, augury, scrying, and magic she has at her disposal to try and unpick the threads of history that hide his people's history, to no avail. Being a wizard, and very long lived (though she never reveals her age!), she was intrigued when Doruthan was born and showed talents and a disposition unique even among his peers. When he matured and began to make noises about a vision of history from beyond the Wall, it intrigued her; she retired from the Consortium to accompany the isleships, and hopefully lend her divination talents toward keeping them all safe.

Toth, in a very obvious and real sense, is the opposite of Doruthan in every way; where he is large, loud, imposing, and passionate, she is slight, quiet, contemplative, and cool. She never makes a move without first collecting as much data as possible, and never acts without a clear plan and path. Perhaps this is why she chose to follow Doruthan on the journey; when the future is constantly cataloged, what mystery is left in life?

Her job aboard the Maykupuni is to provide forward intelligence through her auguries.

Look:
    5a7fcde389f6da4e9b907b5d21af2570.jpg

edited May 2019
    Map of the Storm March
    wr8rrtm6rtze.jpeg

The scale of this is artist licence.

The great unknown is a thing of fear for most, trepidation for the wise, and a joy for you to behold. Nothing is known yet, nothing is named, but together you will learn with each daring jaunt out into the wide blue yonder.

Miles behind the Steading is the Tempest Wall; this side of it looks to be mostly white cloud with occasional thunder, far different to how you’ve known it.

Out in the distance specks of islands dot the horizon. The nearest three remain nameless and wild.

Your choice of islands...
    A5 holds a barren belt of rock concealing a sharp, rugged stretch of island. What little can be picked up by telescope indicates it’s cold and inhospitable.

B5 is lush with forest, and waterfalls cascade from the sides. It may have a basin spanning most of the island. Rain is sighted overhead, and hasn’t stopped since you arrived.

C5 is in dispute. It appears to be purple, and has large structures across it. Each isle comes with its own unique ecosystem, and so far from mortal intervention who knows what life it holds.

You feel the wind pick up, lifting the garden’s ornamental kites.

Your mounts fly overhead, or else menace the shrubbery. They are looking forward to finally flying again after being cooped up for duration of the trip through the Tempest Wall.

[OOC: Vote on where to head after you’ve introduced yourselves. A tied vote will be settled by me.]

Endless_Serpents on
    Doruthan meditates for a moment, eyes closed. Structures, and the possibility of civilization! Could my visions of the truth be proven so soon?

"Hail, fellow explorers! I have consulted the fire within, and it provokes me to investigate the isle furthest to the (east). If there exists a people on this side of the Tempest Wall, its honors us to meet them at haste, and prove ourselves equals."

The firebrand pets one of the many tusks of his earthsky wurm, and wrests control of it with the myriad leather straps tied around its torso and head.

[OOC: C5, the purple isle I'm assuming that's to the east. Maybe a bad assumption in this world! Do they even have cardinal directions? Doruthan is not a cartographer.]

edited May 2019
    [OOC: Just as the people of this world would be speaking a different language, they’ll have their own way of determining directions. For our own sanity we’ll make the Steading the focal point and things will be north, south, east, or west of it, as well as higher or lower in the sky than it.

If you ever want to throw some jargon, you could say behind the Steading is Stormward, up is Starward, and down is Grimward.

If you fly too high (like, extremely so), the air thins and you would eventually reach something like space. Celestial bodies like stars, a sun and a moon do there regular thing up there.

Go too low and it becomes like an asteroid belt crossed with a sandstorm. There is air down there but it’s as hard to breath as going too high. It doesn’t have a bottom as fair as anyone knows.]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2019
    “Mtunza! TO ME!”
    The constant roar of wind rushed past Imani, gracefully falling towards Pang’s Wish. A large dog, long lush brindle fur, and innate strength, dropped faster than the oddly dressed man. Repositioning, Mtunza shifted his canine legs and slowed slightly, Imani sliding slowing into the saddle.
    “Good boy.”
    As the pair glide towards Pang’s Wish, Aurlancea behind them, Imani tightened his legs around Mtunza, letting loose a howl and hug the large animal tightly around the neck, “dive…dive.”
    The singular mountain peak rushed towards Imani as Mtunza moved with each pull of his fur.
    “Adventure boy. Lands none have seen. Beasties bigger than you to treat with.”
    The pair landed softly within the Garden.
    “Stay here boy. I’ll be right back.”

Imani
    bJFYJdZ.jpg

Mtunza
    8ZajWG2.jpg

[OOC: Jesus I'm bad at images.]

joshgotro on
    Hawthorne overslept. When the sun reaches his cot, he groans, rolls over, pauses, sits bolt upright. Not cursing, but moving fast, he slips into his plain gray coveralls, puts on his slightly uncomfortable shoes, and bolts out to where his rock krake Jenna sleeps. His fluffy white hair goes un-combed, and he doesn't spare a thought for the artifact hidden in his baggage under the cot.

--

"Well," he ventures, "if there's folks living out here, best we introduce ourselves." He gestures with open hands to imply polite greeting, harmlessness. "And I'd say that's where we'll learn the most about our new situation." He nods to Doruthan.

OOC: I gotta find me some sweet reference images

edited May 2019
    "... and with the Wall behind us, the real work begins." A motley collection of scouts, freeriders, aeromagi, and other assorted ne'er-do-wells is gathered on the patch of ground christened the "foredeck" of the Aurlancea. Marcus Temporus addresses the group, pacing slowly back and forth, his voice carrying clearly and calmly, the only outward sign of agitation the slight, irregular twitching of his tail. "Abram, Calt! I want your lot helping with the inspection of the Aurlancea and her ships - report to the Grand Bosun. Delman, ak'Tichj - divide your group in half; send one half - better be you, ak'Tichj; don't think the Sabaans've forgiven you, yet, Delman - and offer - offer! - your assistance with their inspections. They don't need you, I want you on high patrol. Delman, your group is with me; we're headed to the Wish."

The majority of the crowd disperses to its work, and a handful of untasked riders remain. "The rest of you, make yourselves generally useful. Exilis, not you. Walk with me."

[ooc]
    Marcus Temporus
    6k7kqdjy28fm.jpeg
    Diplomacy, and diplomacy by other means, that’s his work. Marcus lives for the Republic, and has risked his life for it more than once. His family is broad and well-travelled, and if not for his lion-like tail you’d never know where he hailed from originally.

*fingersnaps*

Elvenshae on
    edited May 2019
    [OOC: I’m just chiming in to say you’re all awesome. This is gonna be fun!

Feel free to chat amongst yourselves in and out of character, and pick an island.

Plus, Imani, add this to your inventory!

Wind Seed Earrings
    A gift earned through a display of prowess, a rare but memorable sight. Such earrings are heavily associated with Asnanda, a legendary hero who married a spirit of air and leaves.

When you invoke your gift during a fall or while taking a leap of faith, roll +CHA.
    On a 10+, you land slowly, gracefully, and reach an advantageous position. Those who see you are impressed.
    On a 7-9, you avoid harm or reach an advantageous position; your choice.
    On a 6-, you crash. Expect even worse harm for your hubris.

How did you earn the earrings?
    What rival felt they deserved the gift more than you?

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2019
    It is a strange group that has been gathered by the isleships' representatives. One of the representatives of the Maykupuni is talking about how his fire is directing him to the easternmost island of the choices laid before them. Exilis grins slightly ... Fire? Fire cannot tell the future - only the past! Even a child knows that! Still, apart from his strange superstitions, the ashen one's suggestion is a good one - if there are living beings here, friendly or otherwise, the buildings seem a good place to find them. Also, the isle of buildings is closest to the Aurlancea, and though the search is for neutral ground, it would be a small advantage to his homeland to have shorter travel to and from the meeting ground. And, lastly, initial scouting indicates the island is predominantly purple, a most auspicious color.

"I agree with this one. Either the purple island is still occupied, and we must sound out its people to see if they are friend or foe, or it is deserted, and we must determine what scattered its inhabitants. That is where we should first journey."

[ooc: @joshgotro ... You have a flying dog mount? Not, like, a winged dog, but one that just kinda runs into the air? Sweet.]

Elvenshae on
    edited May 2019
    "Yes. Let us meet these new souls maybe. Or maybe we find beasties with hides the colors of setting suns."

Imani moves through the group of adventures with a wide smile.

"This will be great pride."

How did you earn the earrings?
    What rival felt they deserved the gift more than you?

Imani, third son to a family in need of only one heir, took to the skies early. Auntie Jafari always needed scouts.

Babruni, the wildest person I know, scouting farther than safe, riding the wind as if the ground didn't exist. Mtunza and I were still so small but we couldn't let Babruni fall...

[OCC: @Elvenshae Correct. Mtunza is of the wind. Being adorable physically is just cream.]

joshgotro on