As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I am an old, and missed Bill Nye being the Science Guy back in the day. Was glasses on/glasses off a thing on his show?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I am an old, and missed Bill Nye being the Science Guy back in the day. Was glasses on/glasses off a thing on his show?

Yes it specifically was

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

If you live in the Seattle area, being "an old" and "missing Bill Nye being the Science Guy back in the day" does not mean the one leads to the other.

A quick Youtubing of "almost live" and "Bill Nye" should prove fruitful.

Even back then, safety glasses were most definitely a thing of his.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chiitan's Japanese Twitter account got banned, which has resulted in a lot of content from the English account not being viewable somehow. The English account has been urging people to help. :(

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Why was it banned?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Why was it banned?
    No idea. Twitter hasn't told the account holder why.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Probably for not being right wing enough in their violence.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh wow, it's not just the Japanese account, a lot of Chiitan accounts for multiple languages were banned too. What the hell?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    OH MY GOODNESS

Hah! I just posted the same in the Abortion thread.

I missed this but Meyers had another "HEY!" segment on Biden. Biden is bad. And an idiot. And bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiMdZJBRI8

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    On that subject, Sam Bee went off on a justified rant about "electability" last night.

https://youtu.be/fk1X7cCwYjI

My favorite fact was that EVERY male Democratic candidate has lost at least one election in his career while NONE of the females have (yet).

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I have to know how Last Week Tonight started their episode tonight in the wake of things.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have to know how Last Week Tonight started their episode tonight in the wake of things.
    He should be reminding people not to unsubscribe if he wants to keep that mascot budget

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I still have no idea how they got a whole spinoff for that greenlit

steam_sig.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think we're all agreed we want more Trump in our lives, we just don't have enough Trump-related content. You can't Trump Trump hoho! More Trump. Nothing btu Trrum;e Trump that's Trump Trump Trump TrumpTrumpTURMPTUNFUNISDTRUMA<

wandering on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think we're all agreed we want more Trump in our lives, we just don't have enough Trump-related content. You can't Trump Trump hoho! More Trump. Nothing btu Trrum;e Trump that's Trump Trump Trump TrumpTrumpTURMPTUNFUNISDTRUMA<

*pokes wandering's brain*
    Yep. Over-saturated.
    Late night hosts hammering away on Trump every night might cause a backfire in time for the 2020 election. I figure if you beat the war drums for years, they will start to sound soothing.

"Trump misspelled a word in a tweet!"
    "Yeah! Boo!"
    "And he employs vampires in his cabinet!"
    "Ha ha, what a bad guy!"
    "And he puts kids in cages."
    "I already said he was a bad guy."
    "And he eats babies!"
    "... but the economy is doing good ... unemployment is down ... Trump's not all bad ..."

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Nice, local shoutout on John Oliver. The douche running the private medical investigations company wearing a Rockhurst University jacket.

Easily the most stuck up it's own ass Jesuit University in the tri-state area.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    This is the kind of story we need right now. I would unironically do this if I was in the same situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doP5tQMUcdQ

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I wish the audience would've given Michelle Wolf a chance, RE: her Netflix show. It had a couple rough experiments at its start but she found her stride for what to do with the show after.

I will always respect a comedian who is trying new shit instead of sticking to formulas. That's part of what makes Conan O'Brien so great and standout for his gen of late night show hosts. He was more experimental than they were and that's how we got the Masturbating Bear and such.

Speaking of Conan's penchant for absurdism. YouTube just hit me with Seth's "Late Night Casserole" of random bits bit.

https://youtu.be/rEXL_AF25To

Everything about Roomba Rumors is great.

I dunno if we'll find out if the Roomba was really having technical difficulties or if that was their way of messing with Seth, but I think it's better if we leave it as a mystery.

The Gilbert Gottfried ASMR thing is definitely a joke I've made before and probably most everyone else. Bonus points to Seth for actually doing it.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Every time Oliver dubs Gilbert Gottfried over Kushner, I cannot stop laughing.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Every time Oliver dubs Gilbert Gottfried over Kushner, I cannot stop laughing.

I believe the finest Gottfried thing in the last few years is this (NSFW, language):

https://youtu.be/XkLqAlIETkA

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wherein Sam Bee's cohorts turn the Dem primary into Supermarket Sweep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VlVopkkuoE

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited May 2019
    Describing Beto as a human vape pen made me do a spit take.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Howard Stern has been doing some book promotion but he gave Colbert an extended interview. I mean, it's not a great interview in the sense that Howard is talking most of the time with little input from Colbert, but it's a pretty fascinating talk. Especially regarding Trump and the 2016 election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fqlJ_dTFI

Howard Stern has been doing some book promotion but he gave Colbert an extended interview. I mean, it's not a great interview in the sense that Howard is talking most of the time with little input from Colbert, but it's a pretty fascinating talk. Especially regarding Trump and the 2016 election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fqlJ_dTFI

I believe Stern is also doing a full length Anderson Cooper 360 tonight on CNN.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I'm still concerned about Chiitan, and I just came across this article from the Japan Times. Twitter isn't giving any official reason why because they don't comment on why people are banned, but supposedly from an insider Chiitan got banned from Twitter for violating its rules about 'spam.' Which is very loosely enforced to begin with so I dunno what the fuck.

The article also points out though that during the same week lots of accounts got banned for violating Twitter's recent new rules about buying artificial followers, which pop stars and such do. And Chiitan probably got caught up in that somehow?

I miss it already. We never got to see the next stage for the John Oliver feud.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm still concerned about Chiitan, and I just came across this article from the Japan Times. Twitter isn't giving any official reason why because they don't comment on why people are banned, but supposedly from an insider Chiitan got banned from Twitter for violating its rules about 'spam.' Which is very loosely enforced to begin with so I dunno what the fuck.

The article also points out though that during the same week lots of accounts got banned for violating Twitter's recent new rules about buying artificial followers, which pop stars and such do. And Chiitan probably got caught up in that somehow?

I suspect it was because of the John Oliver thing. Since Jack is a neo-nazi and John is a prominent progressive… Or it might be my tinfoil hat speaking.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I suspect it was because of the John Oliver thing. Since Jack is a neo-nazi and John is a prominent progressive… Or it might be my tinfoil hat speaking.

That is pretty tinfoil hat considering the piece was entirely non-political.

Mother of god, metal-on-metal for a hip replacement is the dumbest fucking idea. I didn't need the segment to tell me that. As soon as he showed a picture of it I felt mortified.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mother of god, metal-on-metal for a hip replacement is the dumbest fucking idea. I didn't need the segment to tell me that. As soon as he showed a picture of it I felt mortified.

"Untested mesh in vagina" should have set off ALL THE ALARM BELLS. >_<

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I had an orthopedic surgeon do some bullshit in my wrist to try and fix it when I was 18. I'm pretty sure some of what he did was totally untested, but my arm was a total shit show so I'm just happy it's remained functional since then, even if I do technically have some shrapnel in there now.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Another week of LWT, another bout of wondering just how long this out of control hyper capitalism can keep on trucking.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The FDA is way too overwhelmed by its mission and has an outdated approach to modern clinical drug and device issues. I pushed through a 21 CFR 812 IDE and the FDA was not prepared to assess the application - like a 510(k) premarket, you can have a totally stupid protocol backing your application that has almost no real research value and the FDA will be totally cool with it because the guidelines are so poor. Moreover, taking steps to make sure use is evidence based, such as framing your application around a research protocol or applying without being the manufacturer itself (such as being an independent research organization) freaks the FDA out and makes things much more difficult. Moreover, the FDA has specific powers that are absolutely terrifying to researchers but a tap on the shoulder to large companies, like banning individuals from ever participating in drug or device research forever.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cool, cool.

Just one question.

What is a 21 CFR 812 IDE?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Old style HDD, I think