As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Septus wrote: »
    I am flummoxed by the rearfacing convertible car seat we just got from my brother. The nature of these seats is going to mean the base of the seat is as close and tight to the rear of the vehicles seat as possible, but that is resulting in Oliver's legs having too little room in against the upright back of the vehicle seat. I suppose we could look around for a new car seat where the base itself is longer, putting him further away from the vehicle seat, but I'm a little worried about our ability to find something that will fit well.

Kids are pretty flexible, and my kids preferred to sit cross-legged or with their legs all bent rear-facing than they do with their legs hanging down down they’re front-facing! We had smallish convertible seats, too. Is he complaining?

Janson on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So I'm getting married this fall and I've been thinking about kids a lot since our engagement. Both the future wife and I are unsure whether we want kids for many different reasons but one thing that is troubling me is my age. I'll be 37 this year which means even if we do elect to try we likely won't be seeing little one(s) before my 40s (she's 5 years younger). I think about how much younger my folks were when they got started with kids and it scares me that I won't have the energy or ability to enjoy the sorts of activities my dad did with me while he was 12 years or so younger than I'll be.

Do we have any more middle-aged parents here? Am I worrying too much and 40s parenting is secretly awesome or am I over-the-hill and better suited for furry parenting than breeding?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    We had our first at 34 and second at 36. There's some additional risk factors to the pregnancy to be aware of, but there's plenty of parents our age. One of my kids good friends had two at 40 and 43.
    Will you have less energy than 20 year olds? Sure. You'll also be a heck of a lot more mature emotionally and likely have more financial security.

Also a key part of parenting is largely not t giving a fuck what others think, as you WILL be belting out Disney tunes in the middle of the street or walking like a dinosaur in public while half covered in their food.
    Also, kids don't care as much about HOW active you are as much as HOW much attention you pay to them.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    So I'm getting married this fall and I've been thinking about kids a lot since our engagement. Both the future wife and I are unsure whether we want kids for many different reasons but one thing that is troubling me is my age. I'll be 37 this year which means even if we do elect to try we likely won't be seeing little one(s) before my 40s (she's 5 years younger). I think about how much younger my folks were when they got started with kids and it scares me that I won't have the energy or ability to enjoy the sorts of activities my dad did with me while he was 12 years or so younger than I'll be.

Do we have any more middle-aged parents here? Am I worrying too much and 40s parenting is secretly awesome or am I over-the-hill and better suited for furry parenting than breeding?

Pretty normal these days. I was 35 for our first and 38 for our second.

steam_sig.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    What do y'all do for severely congested kids under 2?

All the OTC stuff says not to use it under 2 yrs old

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Saline solution up the nose, then nose frieda it out.

steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Works like a fucking charm. Wish someone would do it for me some day!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Second this. The kid hates it, but it fixes the problem instantly.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

My husband and I were in our mid-30s when we had our two youngest, and we are the youngest parents in our parent-group. Yes, running around is hard. I wouldn't say 40s parenting is "secretly awesome", because it has its up and downs like any age-group. But if you're older, financially secure, and want kids, it can be really great. Most people we know only have the one kid, and a lot of people travel and do things with their kids because they have the ability to do so. I think having more than one kid is more difficult (we have 2).And, if you can swing it, 2 or more years between kids makes life a bit less hectic. I think it has more to do with your support (family and friends) combined with if you can afford either childcare, or to take the time off work to be with the kids.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Saline is fantastic (especially if you're prone to allergies and sinus infections), but I have to physically hold down all three boys to get the job done. Also had to spend several years figuratively doing the same to my wife so she also doesn't twist and cry when applying Saline (finally convinced her week three of a bad head cold by turning her "what kind of moron won't take medicine to feel better" line against her)

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Works like a fucking charm. Wish someone would do it for me some day!

I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing it for yourself!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Just remember to use sterilized water if you make your own saline. Too many nasty things in water that can fuck up your brain if you squirt them into your sinuses, and chlorination doesn't usually kill them.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Working in the ER I see a lot of people. You can be in your 70s and keep up with kids if you're in shape. Or you can be in your 40s and get winded walking to the bathroom and get dialysis 3 days a week because you treat your body like shit. Having kids has motivated me to be like the former. I have friends with obese parents in their 50s who seem like are on the verge of dying at any moment and it's miserable.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's a huge factor in our decision on whether or not to have another. I keep going back and forth and have to talk myself down, but man it is hard, and I mean really hard, to not have another even though I really want one. My pregnancies are just so hard though, on me and everyone else, and my husband is getting to the point where he wants to be done with the last high school graduation before he's 65.

I know not having another is the mature adult thing to do, but I really want to.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

Had our first son when I was 28, second son at 36. The age thing is very much a mixed bag. 36 me was damn sure more financially secure than 28 me, but 28 me had a helluva a lot more energy when I got home from work. I'm 41 now, and after work plus working out I'll take them both to the park to play. I play a lot less on the park with my yongest than I used to, and my oldest definitely got the better park me when he was 4. That said, my oldest didn't get two week long family vactations a year at the beach when he was four. So yeah, big ol mixed bag.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Wife is 38 weeks 5 days pregnant. She's officially fed up of being pregnant!

Ended up in the hospital due to reduced movement but everything is fine. Consultant decided to try to induce her but unfortunately it didn't work properly so we're still waiting.

Gonna be a long wait. We really hope he's not too late. He's on track to be over 9 pounds on his due date so if he's late god knows how big he'll be!

My daughter didn't get all the individual and focused attention my son did, but she also doesn't get me worried about every last little thing being a sign that something might be wrong. I figure that probably evens out all on its own. Between seeing him develop and seeing the kids around him develop I have chilled out sooooo much. Like, the whole thing with his best friend and his gift fucking finally made it hit home that some kids just get there at different times and via different routes. I want to give that kid a hug and kiss for freaking out and bursting into tears at the last minute over his gift.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I was a fat old 47 when we had Kate. I’m now a less fat 51 and she is awesome. Age is just a number. I can keep up with her pretty well except the rolling around on the floor stuff.

50433.png?1708759015
    Just remember to use sterilized water if you make your own saline. Too many nasty things in water that can fuck up your brain if you squirt them into your sinuses, and chlorination doesn't usually kill them.

You can buy the stuff off the shelf for pretty cheap, why risk it?

steam_sig.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Janson wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    I am flummoxed by the rearfacing convertible car seat we just got from my brother. The nature of these seats is going to mean the base of the seat is as close and tight to the rear of the vehicles seat as possible, but that is resulting in Oliver's legs having too little room in against the upright back of the vehicle seat. I suppose we could look around for a new car seat where the base itself is longer, putting him further away from the vehicle seat, but I'm a little worried about our ability to find something that will fit well.

Kids are pretty flexible, and my kids preferred to sit cross-legged or with their legs all bent rear-facing than they do with their legs hanging down down they’re front-facing! We had smallish convertible seats, too. Is he complaining?

He has barely been in it yet, so we don't have any indication of unhappiness yet. However, I did look at the manual and yeah, it's rated for 37 inches which is tons of room in theory which is why it's so confusing why that would mean he already has to bend his legs. I guess we'll just give it some and see what he thinks.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1

https://www.amazon.com/Modudose-Saline-Solution-Inhalation-5257/dp/B002YRY3HI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=saline&qid=1558212894&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

this is what we use in the hospital

I'm not sure if you can find a cheaper price, but 100 is all you should ever need.

edited May 2019
    TheStig wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/Modudose-Saline-Solution-Inhalation-5257/dp/B002YRY3HI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=saline&qid=1558212894&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

this is what we use in the hospital

I'm not sure if you can find a cheaper price, but 100 is all you should ever need.

Yeah, we used those for our little ones, they were great.

I was actually referring to adults trying to make their own saline for themselves, since those little tubes are too small for adults. (Plus there's the whole neti-pot thing where people intentionally snort large amounts of water to "irrigate" their sinuses.)

spoilered for weird people doing weird things:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    edited May 2019
    Oh yeah, if you neti always boil your water first. And let it cool obviously. I'm not responsible if you pour boiling water into your nose.

I'll neti pot when my allergies get really bad. A saline spray doesn't really have enough flow to really clean them out.

TheStig on
    aw jeez that's making my eyes water just thinking about it.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    what the hecckkkk @ that video

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Wife is being induced on Wednesday. It's a few days early but we've had to go to hospital several times due to reduced movements so they've decided just to get him out now.

They've not got any big concerns for him as the tests have all come back normal.

Bags were already packed but we're adding extra stuff as she'll be in for a longer than we expected.

Bought a lot of food today that we can freeze so we've got loads of food in so we don't have to go out of we don't want to once he's home.

Just waiting now to go in!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    My newest nephew ever was just born

And then I was putting my 2y/o son to bed, who is still learning to say his own name... and at the point where we go through his stuffed animals for dinosaur-kiss, lion-kiss, and so on... after daddy kiss, he smiled and said his own name-kiss.

That’s a lot of feels for 1 hour

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    William's teacher pulled Christine aside to let her know that William has been messing about a bit in his swimming lessons (the last one of the year is on Thursday! Might have been good to sort this sooner), and that he's been just sort of not doing work in class when it's something he isn't interested in.

We tried a bit to get out of him what the things are that he isn't 'interested in' (I think that was the teacher's spin on it rather than his own), so he said he didn't like doing plans in English, he'd rather just start doing the thing, and then another thing was he had a work sheet to do and one question was "Why do your parents love you?", and he didn't know what to put.

Am I overthinking this, or is this a really hard question for anyone, nevermind a 7 year old?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a really bad question.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah that's a really bad question.

I feel like this would probably end up badly, but you should A) explain to him very clearly that you do indeed love him, and then B) tell him to write "They don't"

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Yeah I don't like that question. I feel like my son is mature enough to answer it but I wouldn't appreciate the fact that they asked.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm afraid my kid's response would be something along the lines of "... because they don't *like* me right now?"

mrpaku on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This is swimming lessons?

There is uh... swimming.. in this swimming lesson? /jurassicparkreference

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    "Why do your parents love you?"
    Huh.

I was a very moody child, and probably would have answered either "I don't know" "They're parents, and they feel obligated to love me because that's what society told them" or "They don't", even at 7. Of course, my parents did love me, and while a little emotionally distant, were good parents. I don't even know what a teacher expects from that prompt, honestly.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    holy cow what an awful question to ask a kid. I don't care how old they are.

"why do your parents love you" because there might be reason to think they don't? they shouldn't? they wouldn't? have I done something to make you think that I'm unlovable and so you want to know my reasons?

Ugh. I'm angry at that. probably also reading too much into it, but still.

edited May 2019
    Honestly, frankly, I'm not sure a 7-year-old reads the question the same way we do. The question starts out assuming their parents love them, and the answers for most kids will look like 'because I give them hugs' or something. For a kid with mediocre self esteem, that's fine. I'm a grownup, I do not have mediocre self esteem (and never did), and I can be kind of insecure about whether or not my child loves me, so the question reads like a nightmare. I think at the time I probably just would have thought "this is a dumb question, how the hell would I know that."

It's not the worst question you could ask a kid that age IMO, but it is uncomfortable for me to see asked.

ceres on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think 7 y/o me would have said something like “because I’m good and make my bed.”

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't want even a hint of "I'd better do/be/? X or my parents won't love me," I don't want them thinking there has to be a reason. That question sucks.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Even as a parent at 38 that's a mindfuck to start answering. It also leads them to potentially tie love to an activity or behavior, rather than being a foundation with no need for explanation.

"i don't know. Why do you have an education diploma?"

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.