As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Anyone know of any obvious culprits for unacceptable long "New Folder" generation time in Windows 10 64-bit?

The rest of my system is suitably snappy, but right-clicking anyone to generate a "New >" (folder, file, etc.) hangs for a few seconds before the next context menu pops up. Originally I though it was just my desktop, but location doesn't seem to matter. I can't find what the obvious culprit: I have a lot of small programs installed, but removed a number of them didn't seem to help (I suppose I need to keep doing it?). The same for Windows 10 apps--I really don't have that many installed at this point, but the issue still persists. I don't think a Windows Repair Installation helped either, but I suppose that's an option.

Other culprits online seem to be slow USB drives (I don't have any that stay plugged in), or possibly issues with an Intel Chipset (since I have an Asus Intel motherboard, I guess that's possible). This seems like a common issue, there are just a lot of different possible causes.

Synthesis on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Anyone know of any obvious culprits for unacceptable long "New Folder" generation time in Windows 10 64-bit?

The rest of my system is suitably snappy, but right-clicking anyone to generate a "New >" (folder, file, etc.) hangs for a few seconds before the next context menu pops up. Originally I though it was just my desktop, but location doesn't seem to matter. I can't find what the obvious culprit: I have a lot of small programs installed, but removed a number of them didn't seem to help (I suppose I need to keep doing it?). The same for Windows 10 apps--I really don't have that many installed at this point, but the issue still persists. I don't think a Windows Repair Installation helped either, but I suppose that's an option.

Other culprits online seem to be slow USB drives (I don't have any that stay plugged in), or possibly issues with an Intel Chipset (since I have an Asus Intel motherboard, I guess that's possible). This seems like a common issue, there are just a lot of different possible causes.

Grab a copy of AutoRuns (genuine Microsoft tool) and look at the Explorer tab. Everything listed there hooks into context menus. It's possible that one of them is the culprit. You can uncheck items you deem suspect, and they won't load on your next reboot.

Frem on
    Frem wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Grab a copy of AutoRuns (genuine Microsoft tool) and look at the Explorer tab. Everything listed there hooks into context menus. It's possible that one of them is the culprit. You can uncheck items you deem suspect, and they won't load on your next reboot.

Thank you, I'm trying exactly that.

Somewhat surprisingly, I only have seven entries...I guess I am pretty aggressive at cleaning...and none of them look particularly suspect.

g6owanoh74o0.png

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So at the build conference today Microsoft announced a couple windows things. These are aimed more at developers and IT/business use, but still interesting.

First off, Windows Terminal. This is a new shell application which includes CMD, powershell, and Windows Subsystem for Linux support....and a tabbed interface. I'm super stoked about this, mostly for work stuff.

the other is they announced that the new Chrome Edge browser will include an Internet Explorer compatibility mode, so any websites that are built around the IE rendering engine will run in that engine on Chrome Edge, so you don't have to switch browsers. this one is mostly useful for businesses, so I personally care a lot about it, but is worth mentioning.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Third thing: Windows Subsystem for Linux 2! A lightweight, tightly integrated VM on top of a customized Linux kernel. Boots in two seconds, runs Docker and practically everything else. It has significantly better performance than WSL 1, too. On top of all that, Microsoft is going to be contributing kernel patches upstream.

I'm a macOS guy when doing web dev work, but this could suddenly make a Windows machine super viable.

and that Linux kernel is a slightly custom version of the 4.19 long term support kernel, and Microsoft is also going to fully open source on the GPL.

A full linux kernel running in windows.

Wild.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    new microsoft is so weird in such a good way

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    new microsoft is so weird in such a good way

If 90s me saw stuff like this, I wouldn't believe it.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Maybe I could talk myself into trying to learn a bit of Linux now if it's right there in my Windows OS if I want it.

I bet it won't be that straightforward, or maybe won't apply to my version of Win10 (Home), or something. But hey, it's still cool.

the current windows subsystem for linux works on Win10 home, I have it working on my laptop.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So this will replace something like Cygwin for basic usage, yeah?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The current version of WSL is already miles ahead of Cygwin. Seriously, don't use Cygwin on Win 10.

With WSL2, we're talking about Windows 10 maybe being a viable dev environment for Linux/embedded programming.

WSL is a godsend. if you want to just learn linux shell, develop with linux tools, or manage linux servers, there's now a quasi-built in tool for it, and with WSL2, it'll just be built in.

WSL is the single best thing to happen to Windows in the IT/enterprise field in a very long time, keeping all those guys who are moving to devops in the windows world.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Has anybody noticed their Explorer window displays changing? In my case, it's the display of network adaptors since I use ICS and it needs to be reset on every reboot, I go into the panel and prefer 'tile' view but occasionally it resets to 'medium icons'.

Anybody seen something like that?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just set it to extra large icons, close the window, go back and back to details.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    if one is having trouble getting a new windows 10 install to activate with a windows 7 key, would calling MS support help? I know they usually help if you call them and you just need to reactivate windows after changing the hardware, and I am given to understand the program where they do free upgrades of windows 7 and 8 licenses to 10 licenses hasn't actually stopped despite the offer officially ending years ago.

edit: I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, it has to be an upgrade installation to transfer a 7 or 8 license to 10, not a clean install. You can't just put a win7 key into the win10 field and have it work.

edit 2: well shit for some reason the win7 product key is "blocked" now? I guess it might have been stolen by the virus I was nuking the computer to get rid of? Microsoft's self-help shit and automatic phone support is completely unhelpful.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I did a clean install of W10 with no issue. The W7/8 key must be for the same edition. As in Home or Pro or whatever. Otherwise, it might just be a bad key.

looks like it was already blocked before I tried it then, I wonder how. I think I was the one that bought this copy of windows and I think I got it off newegg back in the day, the stuff I can find online says this only happened to keys resold on ebay and such.

BahamutZERO.gif
    I did a clean install of W10 with no issue. The W7/8 key must be for the same edition. As in Home or Pro or whatever. Otherwise, it might just be a bad key.

Yes, the 7/8.1 key you use has to be for the equivalent edition of Win10 you are trying to install.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hey, so my mom got herself a new laptop that apparently came with Windows 10 in S Mode. She wants to turn it off, but is concerned that it's an irreversible decision. She's pretty good about safe practices despite being very uncomfortable with anything beyond basic usage, and one of my older sisters lives with her and is fairly good at dealing with what few tech support issues do come up, but they asked me if I thought they should leave it alone or not and I figured I'd ask this thread.

So, S Mode for a senior who basically just reads e-mail, shops online, prints mailing labels, and keeps a digital photo gallery (but no photoshopping), yay or nay?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    honestly, I'd turn it off. S mode offers so few real benefits, and only causes headaches when you try to install that one thing.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, so my mom got herself a new laptop that apparently came with Windows 10 in S Mode. She wants to turn it off, but is concerned that it's an irreversible decision. She's pretty good about safe practices despite being very uncomfortable with anything beyond basic usage, and one of my older sisters lives with her and is fairly good at dealing with what few tech support issues do come up, but they asked me if I thought they should leave it alone or not and I figured I'd ask this thread.

So, S Mode for a senior who basically just reads e-mail, shops online, prints mailing labels, and keeps a digital photo gallery (but no photoshopping), yay or nay?

I guess I would say try it for a few months, and if she's running into issues then turn it off. Edge is a lot better than it once was, and is being completely rebuilt with the Chromium engine - I think the first release of that is supposed to be this fall.

steam_sig.png
    what is S mode

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    what is S mode

Basically a locked-down mode similar to how an iPad or iPhone is - you can only install stuff from the Microsoft Store.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Can it be switched back on again, though? I'm guessing not.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    what is S mode

Basically a locked-down mode similar to how an iPad or iPhone is - you can only install stuff from the Microsoft Store.

To elaborate it also locks out the command shell, user access to the windows registry, and apps can't be installed through a web browser, features which are supposed to prevent all or most malware from being able to do anything.
    Jazz wrote: »
    Can it be switched back on again, though? I'm guessing not.

No, once it's off, you can't ever switch that install back to it. That's why they are a little hesitant about pulling the trigger.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I am so thoroughly unimpressed with the Windows store and UWP platform on desktop I would be hesitant to ever recommend someone use an environment where there is no way to administrate it properly and no alternatives either. What the hell do you do when the store app breaks?

So 1903 hit the masses today. I'm not seeing it on Windows update on my personal laptop yet, but it's available if you run the upgrade assistant off of the Microsoft website, which I'm doing now on my work deskop. (I'm stoked for the sandbox mode on my work machine).

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Note to self: wait two weeks so that the next brickmaking change in this update is found and addressed.

All in all...

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I am so thoroughly unimpressed with the Windows store and UWP platform on desktop I would be hesitant to ever recommend someone use an environment where there is no way to administrate it properly and no alternatives either. What the hell do you do when the store app breaks?

The UWP platofrm itself is actually quite good. But with thier halfassed store and refusal to even use the UWP format on some of their biggest prodcuts is killing it. MS doesn't have any faith in their own shit sometimes

edited May 2019
    LD50 wrote: »

I suspect for an "average" human being, the store can be completely adequate. I've seen novice users rely completely on it (and when the store "breaks", more than 90% of the time it's easy to fix the issue because it's always the same 2 or 3 things that are the culprit) for browsing and office work.

But it has very obvious limitations on what is a famously open, un-barriered ecosystem. Microsoft has a near-crippling fear of limiting people's options, or being accused of it, and a crippling addiction to legacy support. The Store is directly contrary to both those tendencies, because it was conceptually copied from an OS that gives no shits about either of them. There's a dubious argument about needing to support 20 to 25 year old software natively as often as possible. UWP is a lofty goal but god knows if it would ever work, Windows didn't take up +80% of the OS marketshare...by offering contiguous support in other markets. So far, the most obvious consequence of it is the Xbox One having an absurdly large app store (some of which is actually surprisingly good). The store can be considered separately--buying games (that are completely unrelated to UWP) on the store works very well, even if it is deliberately limiting (allowing you to chose a hard drive, but not a specific folder path, for example). As @H3Knuckles pointed out, it's also part of an almost overreacting measure in the name of security in S mode, which actually is good at stopping the most pervasive forms of malware and damage to the uninformed.

It works very well for buying software on Xbox One of all things. Better than the console stores on PSN or Xbox Live. Which seems like another case of "Microsoft introduced a feature that works great but who knows if anyone actually wants it." See: anything Microsoft ever does with Linux.

As "power users", we think of the idea as being repulsive. It's probably relevant as to quite a few of us don't necessarily use OS X too. But for average consumers, it can be entirely adequate, depending on the circumstances. I can't find the comic, but it's easy for us to become Brent Sienna from PvP working at the Genius Bar, taking a customer's broken MacBook, and explaining to them why all their software choices up to this point are garbage but that we'll fix them for them.

Synthesis on
    UWP is dead. At build Microsoft all but stated that. the features that were unique to UWP are being ported into other existing Microsoft stack things, and UWP is basically just going away.

And really, now that they support win32 and .net apps to be packaged like you can package a UWP app, why on earth would you ever write for UWP?

Yeah, that's basically how ever game sold on the Windows Store (inside or outside of Xbox Play Anywhere) works. Shadow of War and Final Fantasy XV don't magically work different.

Anyone else been getting an abnormal number of start menu crashes in the last month? It's become the most common Windows 10 issue for me.

Granted, it's not..that bad. The Start Menu won't expand, or it will but is nonresponsive, until Explorer.exe crashes and restarts.

I haven't seen that issue.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Anyone know a way to move the notification area in Win10? I got a new computer recently, upgraded from Windows 7 and I’m really liking the it honestly.

But notifications open in the lower-right of the primary monitor, and when the notification is open it stops me from clicking through to a program underneath (games). A bit of google-hunting brings up nothing on a solution.

I have my task bar on the secondary monitor but notification area is still on the primary. Leaving notifications off is a viable option, it’s only Discord that’s even getting high notification activity. But if I could move them over to the right side of the secondary monitor, that’d be ideal.

I’ve tried moving the task bar to all four sides of the secondary and the notifications do not move from their lower-right area.

steam_sig.png
    Nope

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You can make the notification go away by click+hold+swipe off the side.

Yes, this is extremely stupid.

No, I don't know of any other way to do it.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    You can make the notification go away by click+hold+swipe off the side.

Yes, this is extremely stupid.

No, I don't know of any other way to do it.

Yeah, I found that out myself last night. It's not so bad when it's just a single notification. But friends holding a converstion in a discord server might send 2-5 in quick succession. Which is real annoying when there's a ui button behind the notifications that I need to press to continue the game.

Thanks for looking at the question, both of you. I'm thinking I'll just keep notifications off most of the time, it was only out of convenience that I was looking for a way to keep them (but out of the way), since a single short message I can read before the notification goes away and I wouldn't have to click away from a game every time.

steam_sig.png