As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    All challenges done, the 4 mech class challenges have not been turned in yet, so right before the event ends I can turn in all of them for 12 days straight of premium time

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I played until I finally started to feel sleepy right now (HOLY CRAP MY SLEEP SCHEDULE IS DESTROYED). No it wasn't because of this game; I laid in bed trying to sleep for two hours before getting back up.

Anyway. I'm so confounded by this shit. I'm wondering if pulse lasers are actually my jam to begin with. Or really any kind of laser. I feel like I don't see results from them as much. Probably because of how "paint the damage" they are and practically speaking in combat when I shoot (be it pulse or regular) I'll cross over a couple or few sections of the enemy mech. PPCs I get. When they hit, they hit and it shows. And I like that. Even if I don't hit what I was specifically aiming for, the hit overall counts.

I still can't get a handle on SRMs of any sort (this includes Streaks). LRMs are passive range damage that's safe to execute but so unreliable. So I mean... bleh to missiles?

I'll probably try using LBX guns tomorrow. Today, whatever. I know they do crit damage to exposed parts just like machine guns do, I just wonder if they're more significant at doing their share to tear down armor (for their rate of fire, compared to MGs).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I didn’t know who I was until I found RAC.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Nobody wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Y'know...I was trying to do the assault challenge today. But, I mean...that trial Stalker. I just can't even with that thing. The 4xML I can deal with - it's not great, but 20 damage is 20 damage. But those 4xLRM10? I have never been able to work with LRMs. Oh well. Guess I'll be missing out on that phat 3 days of premium time.

I'm waiting for Stalkers to go on sale, I've been eyeing a 3H.

EDIT: To say, they should have been on sale already, looks like the sale might be delayed because the heavy sale started late.

EDIT2: Gave the trial Stalker a try. Took 3 games, but I got 2 kills in the third one. 4 LRM-10s is rough.

Yeah, real rough. I figured the Stalker would be easy to get a kill on until I saw the load out. Then I got in game and realized with no skills on it, I couldn't even keep a lock on any thing for more than a second or 2 which made the LRM 10's even more worthless. Somehow only took me two games before I got lucky enough to steal a kill. I was expecting a good 10 or 15 round grind to pull it off.

However, I was sort of wrong about the Warhawk, it's not nearly as bad as I remembered, even with that goofy gauss loadout.

Dark_Side on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I didn’t know who I was until I found RAC.
    I adore RAC, it's very slot heavy sadly.

Went back to my Jager and swapped the engine out from an XL to a standard. Upped its armor, gave it 6 HMGs and 2 ER PPCs. It doesn't die when shown a picture of an enemy anymore.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Gaaaah.

First time I encounter a King Crab in the wild in BATTLETECH. I somehow manage to pulp the pilot without coring it!

2/6 Salvage, grab two pieces, and of course the stingy Pirate bastards kept the third piece. And gave me a random chunk of a Thunderbolt as an implied middle finger while we're at it.

Gaaaah.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Gaaaah.

First time I encounter a King Crab in the wild in BATTLETECH. I somehow manage to pulp the pilot without coring it!

2/6 Salvage, grab two pieces, and of course the stingy Pirate bastards kept the third piece. And gave me a random chunk of a Thunderbolt as an implied middle finger while we're at it.

Gaaaah.

Almost there! Now the next time you run into a king crab you can just blast the shit out of it without worrying about salvage, right?

edited May 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    Gaaaah.

Gaaaah.

I legit quit a run after I meticulously set myself up for max salvage to get the mech I wanted, and the game fucked me. It's such a small thing to quit over, but I was so pissed off when it happened.

Dark_Side on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    C8OsdBH.jpg
    Didn't do a ton of damage, but I did destroy a lot of components, shoot down a lot of missiles and did a lot of spotting.
    Also, making a stealth fleas day hell is always a bonus, because trying to harass assaults isn't easy when there is a 5 MPL crab in your face whenever you try.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    @Erlkönig

Turns out TTB was streaming the game you and I were in together tonight from the other side. Looks like he was streaming the game after on Terra Therma you were in as well.
    Neither game went well for TTB.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig

Turns out TTB was streaming the game you and I were in together tonight from the other side. Looks like he was streaming the game after on Terra Therma you were in as well.

This weekend has been hit or miss for me too. Yesterday, I couldn't get a win to save my life. Today, dang near every match was a win (except for one where there was a coordinated wolf pack that my team decided to ignore (and reprimand the person calling out the wolf pack's movements) and let our slower mechs get their asses chewed off).

I wonder if it has anything to do with my adhering strictly to mech-shotguns today. Believe in the triple-LB10X, for they will see you through the darkest of times (especially when paired with the ECM Night Gyr and embracing the poptart/drop-shot)!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig

This weekend has been hit or miss for me too. Yesterday, I couldn't get a win to save my life. Today, dang near every match was a win (except for one where there was a coordinated wolf pack that my team decided to ignore (and reprimand the person calling out the wolf pack's movements) and let our slower mechs get their asses chewed off).

I wonder if it has anything to do with my adhering strictly to mech-shotguns today. Believe in the triple-LB10X, for they will see you through the darkest of times (especially when paired with the ECM Night Gyr and embracing the poptart/drop-shot)!

Tonight I could barely lose, I managed to win something like 6 in a row on my Warhawk, then the final loss but it was enough for me to get enough skill points to finish mastering it.

Apparently the assault sale that was supposed to start didn't because of some kind of technical glitch, so they're going to look into it tomorrow and have stated they're adding more assaults (than the 4 chassis initially) to the sale.

Having some bad luck with Assault Mechs, I just don't understand how to effectively pilot them. I thought I was supposed to lead the way for pushing through a point but that's wrong. Waiting for the enemy to move in and punish them doesn't really work out either. I do so much better on Light and Medium class mechs.

On that note I'm actually investing in the skill points for Jump Jets on my Nova. I have no choice in having them so I may as well make the most of them.

Henroid wrote: »
    Having some bad luck with Assault Mechs, I just don't understand how to effectively pilot them. I thought I was supposed to lead the way for pushing through a point but that's wrong. Waiting for the enemy to move in and punish them doesn't really work out either. I do so much better on Light and Medium class mechs.

On that note I'm actually investing in the skill points for Jump Jets on my Nova. I have no choice in having them so I may as well make the most of them.

There are kind of two ways to pilot Assault mechs (at least, according to the Erl-Doctrine):

1. You rally your troops around you and are the iron core of the wrecking ball that steamrolls the enemy position.
    2. You're too slow to make it to the murderball and they've already engaged the enemy team...so you approach from an unexpected angle and can dump all your damage into sides and/or backs. (this one is suuuuuuper risky as usually it only takes one or two light/fast-medium mechs to ruin your day)

There is a third way...but I don't advocate it: lose patience, hit override, and wade in to engage the enemy team by yourself because the rest of your team is I-don't-even-know-what-they're-doing.

That third reason is probably why my survival rate on the Jarl's List is sitting at around 20-30%.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

There are kind of two ways to pilot Assault mechs (at least, according to the Erl-Doctrine):

1. You rally your troops around you and are the iron core of the wrecking ball that steamrolls the enemy position.
    2. You're too slow to make it to the murderball and they've already engaged the enemy team...so you approach from an unexpected angle and can dump all your damage into sides and/or backs. (this one is suuuuuuper risky as usually it only takes one or two light/fast-medium mechs to ruin your day)

There is a third way...but I don't advocate it: lose patience, hit override, and wade in to engage the enemy team by yourself because the rest of your team is I-don't-even-know-what-they're-doing.

That third reason is probably why my survival rate on the Jarl's List is sitting at around 20-30%.
    Most PuGs aren't exactly keen to follow any sort of plan or have the wisdom to notice a plan in motion to capitalize on it.

At any rate I'm fine piloting Light and Medium class mechs. I do the damage and scouting necessary, easily my highest scoring mech classes. I just had a losing round where I fought 3 enemies on my own and killed them all (not 100% solo'd them down in any case but still fought them alone simultaneously).

It depends on the assault mainly.

Some assaults are tip of the spear, the ones everybody follows in (Annihilator, Atlas). Usually if you call it out on voice chat and start heading in a direction the rest of the team will follow. They die often but as long as your team follows up it can break the back of the opposing one. If they help share armor it’s even better.

Some are pack damage dealers (Corsair, Mad Cat II) that are there to shit out damage and get aggro that way. Ideally other assaults and heavies will share their armor with you and you’ll rotate who’s upfront while everybody fires.

Some are snipers/turrets (Warhawk, Dire Wolf), they don’t sit in the group but if somebody pops their heads out you remove it. Very vulnerable to flanking lights but the firepower they can put out in the enemy team’s backs as they nascar can be a game ending. Requires excellent positioning and a team able to capitalize on what you’ve done.

Some are flankers, and play like giant medium mechs (Victor, Warhammer IIC), they come in from a side, mug something and then get out.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you are piloting an Assault and call out that you're going in you often get a few to follow your push and you don't die in vein. But honestly only do that if your group is somewhat huddled around you, otherwise you're just going to go in with 2 or so others following you.

Assaults really are an odd weight class. You would think they are exactly like you think they are. The armor blob that waddles in the front of the blade taking hits and throwing it back to the enemy teams. Thanks to MWO and the amount of weapons a heavy, medium or light can carry often is equal to an Assault. So yeah, a few heavies that are usually out in the front can take down an Assault pretty fast.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I rarely play Assaults except for the odd daily challenge. It's just too darn easy to get blown to smithereens while doing sub 100 damage; they make me super self conscious about my play.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffouI6OA00

Happy Battle of Tukayyid day!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Tomorrow post patch is going to be interesting, between the MW5 preorder bonus mechs and the release of the Rifleman IIC the match maker is going to be almost all heavies

Is there a link to patch notes? I saw that the Rifleman IIC is coming up, which excites me.

Is there a link to patch notes? I saw that the Rifleman IIC is coming up, which excites me.

Here you go:

https://mwomercs.com/news/2019/05/2284-patch-notes-142020-21may2019

Rocket Launchers (All Launcher Sizes)
    - Velocity increased to 420 (from 400)
    Yo.

So I forget, was there some sort of diminishing returns thing to Flamers or not? I have a Kit Fox loaded with one right now and I dunno how much of an impact it was having, I definitely have room for more.

edited May 2019
    So I forget, was there some sort of diminishing returns thing to Flamers or not? I have a Kit Fox loaded with one right now and I dunno how much of an impact it was having, I definitely have room for more.

They cap heating a target mech at 90% heat capacity.

EDIT - also, they'll start causing ghost heat at any more than 4 flamers fired at the same time

Erlkönig on

EDIT - also, they'll start causing ghost heat at any more than 4 flamers fired at the same time
    I only have 3 flamers but I also noticed something else about them. They don't generate heat on my end until their cooldown bars hit red; it's slow at first but then the heat gen on me will fly fast at 60%+. The cooldown time on Flamers is about 5 seconds, unless they hit red, then it becomes 6ish seconds. Heat sinks don't do jack shit either, I'm already at 2/2 on heat management without additional HS.

Still, if I push someone to 90% they're asking for it if they fire a weapon. Problem is getting that close in the first place. Plus my only other weapons are 2 HMGs. I could possible swap them and all my ammo out for something else more practical, but it'd have to be just one weapon.

At max armor, 3 flamers, an ECM, C Active Probe, 3 AMS and 2 AMS ammo packs, I'm sitting at 22.5 / 30 tons and 65/78 slots (though, I have both arm actuators and hand actuators in play). Harumph.

Oh god my only options for ballistic weapons are 5 and 7 tons each. If I get a 7 ton weapon like an LBX5 I can get a half ton of ammo for it. 17 shots fuck yeah time to make it count I guess. <_<

edited May 2019

I only have 3 flamers but I also noticed something else about them. They don't generate heat on my end until their cooldown bars hit red; it's slow at first but then the heat gen on me will fly fast at 60%+. The cooldown time on Flamers is about 5 seconds, unless they hit red, then it becomes 6ish seconds. Heat sinks don't do jack shit either, I'm already at 2/2 on heat management without additional HS.

Still, if I push someone to 90% they're asking for it if they fire a weapon. Problem is getting that close in the first place. Plus my only other weapons are 2 HMGs. I could possible swap them and all my ammo out for something else more practical, but it'd have to be just one weapon.

At max armor, 3 flamers, an ECM, C Active Probe, 3 AMS and 2 AMS ammo packs, I'm sitting at 22.5 / 30 tons and 65/78 slots (though, I have both arm actuators and hand actuators in play). Harumph.

Oh, one thing to note about flamers:

Don't even try to use them against a Night Gyr. They're immune to all external heat sources (except for lava...so guess 100% external heat transfer doesn't mean from all sources).

EDIT - for clarity, the Night Gyr can stand in lava and won't see any thermal increase...but the legs will start taking damage from extended exposure.

Erlkönig on
    Also drop the Clan Active Probe since it doesn't work with your ECM.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Also drop the Clan Active Probe since it doesn't work with your ECM.
    You mean as far as my sensor range goes or?

As in it doesn't cancel out the enemy ECM. If you want extra range, crit damage, etc. you can equip a Targeting Computer.

oosik_betsuni.png
    As in it doesn't cancel out the enemy ECM. If you want extra range, crit damage, etc. you can equip a Targeting Computer.

What's more, if you have ECM and an Active Probe, the ECM will straight up cancel the Active Probe's effects.

What's more, if you have ECM and an Active Probe, the ECM will straight up cancel the Active Probe's effects.
    Even my own? Why don't they throw up a warning about that in the Loadout screen? They do that for other sorts of conflicts.

Even my own? Why don't they throw up a warning about that in the Loadout screen? They do that for other sorts of conflicts.

Okay, I may have been mistaken. I'm going back through the patch notes, and I can't find it mentioned that ECM completely disables your own Active Probe. So, yeah, I suppose it does have a few more sensor range/target info gathering boosts than the Targeting Computer (Probe: +25% range, -25% target info time vs. TC1: +2.25% range, -22.5% target info time).

That said, if you're running machine guns, you're really going to want a TC for the crit chance boost.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Another strong game in my Crab. I wub my wub wub (and twin missile-killers).
    LQowfcF.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Flamers, machine guns, and AMS seems like a weird combo to me? You want to hang near the heavies to cover them with ECM and AMS, but you dont have the firepower to really keep anything away.

Okay, I may have been mistaken. I'm going back through the patch notes, and I can't find it mentioned that ECM completely disables your own Active Probe. So, yeah, I suppose it does have a few more sensor range/target info gathering boosts than the Targeting Computer (Probe: +25% range, -25% target info time vs. TC1: +2.25% range, -22.5% target info time).

That said, if you're running machine guns, you're really going to want a TC for the crit chance boost.

I don't think it was ever written down that your own ECM cancels out the Active Probe's sensor effects, just something people noticed. Didn't know it still kept the sensor range and target info time. It was one of those unwritten bugs that occurred and PGI just never got fixed (or a warning put in).

oosik_betsuni.png
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Flamers, machine guns, and AMS seems like a weird combo to me? You want to hang near the heavies to cover them with ECM and AMS, but you dont have the firepower to really keep anything away.
    It's not all that far off from what this Kit Fox model comes equipped with. But staying around the heavies is always what I planned for with this one anyway; being part of the team rather than trying to be a one man army. I realize I have shit all for range and don't have much going on in a long-range fight but there's mechs out there who do the opposite; have a long-range game with no close-up capability.

At any rate I did some reading and it turns out Flamers get higher-than-usual crit damage as well (not as high as LBX or MGs mind you). But the targeting computer I slotted in will pretty much seal the deal on all my weapons ripping something apart, provided it isn't armored up.

I'm also paying closer attention to my heat management rating. On a couple of my mechs I actually had redundant heat sinks in place. While I understand that redundant parts can help RE: getting critted, I wanna try out some other options RE: what to slot in.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Actually, I would be more than thrilled if you escorted my brawler Stormcrow. It moves fast and dishes damage, but can't take many hits. Keep me sneaky and safe from missiles, then keep that Marauder from shooting back!

Personally I run my Cutefox with SRM4 and SPLas, and I tend to get lots and lots of damage hanging out with the big guys, because no one turns to shoot the little guy when there is a whale in front of you.