As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shut up about [A Song of Firegames and Icethrones]

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Maybe he’s just McDucking it in his money silo, knowing he’ll never need to finish because when he dies they’ll just get Kevin J. Anderson to do it.

He's already said nobody else will work on them after he passes.

I definitely don't believe that'll stop it from happening.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    It was GRRM that said that first.

And put into context of his quote its holds true.
    There are some people who read and want to believe in a world where the good guys win and the bad guys lose, and at the end they live happily ever after. That’s not the kind of fiction that I write. Tolkien was not that. The scouring of the Shire proved that. Frodo’s sadness – that was a bittersweet ending, which to my mind was far more powerful than the ending of Star Wars, where all the happy Ewoks are jumping around, and the ghosts of all the dead people appear, waving happily [laughs]. But I understand where the other people are coming from. There are a lot of books out there. Let everyone find the kind of book that speaks to them, and speaks to what they need emotionally.

Yeah I'm sure they were just quoting GRRM. The problem is GRRM's ending might be bittersweet, but what they did, wasn't in the least. Dany "the emperor" was killed, Drogon "the death star" flew away, and all the Ewok's got to jump around happy (Jon, Sansa, Bran, Arya, Tyrion, Brienne, Bronn, etc).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Maybe he’s just McDucking it in his money silo, knowing he’ll never need to finish because when he dies they’ll just get Kevin J. Anderson to do it.

Yeah, when someone comes up to his family with a dump truck of money, I'm sure they'll have no problems signing over the rights.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

There are some people who read and want to believe in a world where the good guys win and the bad guys lose, and at the end they live happily ever after. That’s not the kind of fiction that I write. Tolkien was not that. The scouring of the Shire proved that. Frodo’s sadness – that was a bittersweet ending, which to my mind was far more powerful than the ending of Star Wars, where all the happy Ewoks are jumping around, and the ghosts of all the dead people appear, waving happily [laughs]. But I understand where the other people are coming from. There are a lot of books out there. Let everyone find the kind of book that speaks to them, and speaks to what they need emotionally.

Yeah I'm sure they were just quoting GRRM. The problem is GRRM's ending might be bittersweet, but what they did, wasn't in the least. Dany "the emperor" was killed, Drogon "the death star" flew away, and all the Ewok's got to jump around happy (Jon, Sansa, Bran, Arya, Tyrion, Brienne, Bronn, etc).

I disagree with the ewok jumping around happy on a core level.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

We'll see what his estate thinks about that

He might he content to sit on his dragon's hoard and tweet about the Jets but they might not want to leave money on the table just to spite those mean fans

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I'd be dancing too if I had just won a battle vs super advanced space aliens by using arrows and rocks.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Yeah, when someone comes up to his family with a dump truck of money, I'm sure they'll have no problems signing over the rights.

Yeah, Virgil wasn't quite done polishing the language of the Aeneid when he died and demanded all his manuscripts be burned upon his death, yet its still here and stands as one of the pillars of classical Western literature some 2100 years later.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I want the prequel series where we learn that the NK was a hero who sacrificed his very humanity to try to stop Bran the Genocider, who would later go on to use false flag attacks and mind control to destroy the Wall, to start the War of Five Kings, and to knowingly put Dany and Cersei in a position to murder thousands of people in Kings Landing in order to secure his illegitimate claim to the throne.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

The children of Forumers' children will be doing public domain continuations of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SCENE: A writer's room, sometime last year

BENIOFF and WEISS pull the last page from a typewriter and lean back in their chairs. There is a knock at the door, and a PRODUCER enters.

PRODUCER: I heard you guys have an ending? What are you calling it?

B&W: *meet eyes, throw their hands up and as one, roar out*
    THE ARISTOCRATS!

seriously what a terrible fucking finale, jesus christ

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

The children of Forumers' children will be doing public domain slashfic of A Sonic of Ice and Fire.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

He might he content to sit on his dragon's hoard and tweet about the Jets but they might not want to leave money on the table just to spite those mean fans

I mean, they'll also be enjoying that dump truck of money they already have. Should also be clear we're mostly talking about his wife as it doesn't appear he has any children. I could easily see him effectively parking the rights in some sort of trust that ensures their won't be a sequel.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    If that's his wish, I'd hate to think about people disregarding his instruction.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

The children of Forumers' children will be doing public domain slashfic of A Sonic of Ice and Fire.

Tormund and Brienne secretly marry and have a beavy of huge children they dub the Titans of Tarth.

After that it's a Westerosi version of Brady Bunch.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    A Game of Rings
    A Chaos of Emeralds
    A Storm of Mpregs

TL DR on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

I never got the impression it was to spite fans.

Rather, I took it as a comment on the poor quality of these weird writer stand-ins for deceased authors. There’s always a feeling that a stranger is marionetting a loved one’s corpse to trick you, and I have yet to read anything from that pool that didn’t infuriate me.

If I want somebody’s else’s ending to the story based on GRRM’s musings, I’ll just look to the show. It’ll grate less.

OneAngryPossum on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Last Chrys reviews is up

https://imgur.com/a/3gD9va4

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

We do not have to wait for the copyright to expire to engage in Sonic/Drogon slashfic. :twisted:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Rather, I took it as a comment on the poor quality of these weird writer stand-ins for deceased authors. There’s always a feeling that a stranger is marionetting a loved one’s corpse to trick you, and I have yet to read anything from that pool that didn’t infuriate me.

If I want somebody’s else’s ending to the story based on GRRM’s musings, I’ll just look to the show. It’ll grate less.

I still say Brandon Sanderson did a fine job.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Last Chrys reviews is up

ulxALB0.jpg
    :cry:

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

I was fine with Sanderson finishing the wheel because of how much interaction with jordan he had. Jordan's death was happening in slow motion for everyone, everyone knew it was coming, knew there was absolutely no way to finish the saga before that happened, and they did everything they could to ensure that Sanderson had everything he needed to finish the story off. Like I give Jordan a lot of credit for facing his mortality and doing everything he could to ensure the completion of his legacy. You can tell distinctly that the style has changed in the last few books but, I'm actually fine with that. It never felt like someone trying to be Jordan so much as someone trying to tell the end of the story Jordan had started.

I don't think it's to spite fans, but when you've been working on something for decades, your ego and attachment play a big part. There is no way he trusts anyone to finish it up correctly.

Last Chrys reviews is up

The prince of Dorne's comment on Arya and Yara was amazing, as is Edmure lamenting not even getting Robin's support.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

WoT was never my thing, so I can’t really comment. It was the attempts to step into Frank Herbert’s shoes with barely functional generic sci-fi prose that grated on me. The last Hitchhiker’s book also rubbed me the wrong way.

Some series are just too much the product of their creator to have some hack step in and finish it meaningfully. ASOIAF isn’t Dune, but it’s not Shannara or Dragonlance or The Sword of Truth either.

WoT was never my thing, so I can’t really comment. It was the attempts to step into Frank Herbert’s shoes with barely functional generic sci-fi prose that grated on me. The last Hitchhiker’s book also rubbed me the wrong way.

Some series are just too much the product of their creator to have some hack step in and finish it meaningfully. ASOIAF isn’t Dune, but it’s not Shannara or Dragonlance or The Sword of Truth either.

Thank objectivist Jesus.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    t6nuy6qzfxtn.jpg

wvp4fTc.jpg
    FXaLcTQ.jpg

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    chrysreviews lack of proper capitalization and punctuation has always bugged me.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    The GRRM blog link seems to work after some number of refreshes.

Dude's probably hosting it on his 2003 Dell.

steam_sig.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'd be dancing too if I had just won a battle vs super advanced space aliens by using arrows and rocks.

Plus they got hundreds of stormtroopers they can jerky for their winter food stocks.

edited May 2019
    RT800 wrote: »
    chrysreviews lack of proper capitalization and punctuation has always bugged me.

Just think of them as the e e cummings of image memes.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Just think of him as the e e cummings of image memes.

Pretty sure it was just the aesthetic she started with way back when she first made random snarky screen caps on the internet.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

I disagree with the ewok jumping around happy on a core level.

Certainly not Bran

steam_sig.png
    the real moral of GOT summed up in one image

p4MVNpm.jpg

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/
    The show did indeed take a turn for the worse, but the reasons for that downturn go way deeper than the usual suspects that have been identified (new and inferior writers, shortened season, too many plot holes). It’s not that these are incorrect, but they’re just superficial shifts. In fact, the souring of Game of Thrones exposes a fundamental shortcoming of our storytelling culture in general: we don’t really know how to tell sociological stories.

At its best, GOT was a beast as rare as a friendly dragon in King’s Landing: it was sociological and institutional storytelling in a medium dominated by the psychological and the individual. This structural storytelling era of the show lasted through the seasons when it was based on the novels by George R. R. Martin, who seemed to specialize in having characters evolve in response to the broader institutional settings, incentives and norms that surround them.

After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Oh god, we are at the politicians having takes on the ending stage.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I’m not sure why a couple of socialists would be on the team of an absolute monarch who has shown even less concern for the existence of ordinary people than most of the other noble characters.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I’m not sure why a couple of socialists would be on the team of an absolute monarch who has shown even less concern for the existence of ordinary people than most of the other noble characters.

She was literally the only person in several seasons to be paying attention to food supplies, the maintenance and distribution of which is the most important part of lordship in winter

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Sansa did have a white paper on Seasonal Variation in Grain Rationing Inequality.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/
    The show did indeed take a turn for the worse, but the reasons for that downturn go way deeper than the usual suspects that have been identified (new and inferior writers, shortened season, too many plot holes). It’s not that these are incorrect, but they’re just superficial shifts. In fact, the souring of Game of Thrones exposes a fundamental shortcoming of our storytelling culture in general: we don’t really know how to tell sociological stories.

At its best, GOT was a beast as rare as a friendly dragon in King’s Landing: it was sociological and institutional storytelling in a medium dominated by the psychological and the individual. This structural storytelling era of the show lasted through the seasons when it was based on the novels by George R. R. Martin, who seemed to specialize in having characters evolve in response to the broader institutional settings, incentives and norms that surround them.

After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

How is inferior writers a "superficial shift?" I'm pretty sure the person who writes the story is pretty important to the quality of the story.