As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I'm not sure where the line is for joking about Brig's police skin. I think imma cross it (personally) if I'm not careful so just try and imagine I said a really good joke that wasn't too offensive - thanks!

Also guys, I did a dumb. I scrolled through the new skins and lost my mind and just impulse bought Hog's skin straight away, but then I saw the Gargoyle skin and I regret my purchasing decision. I need 3750 more fake-bux because there's no way I'm not buying the Ham dance first.

Woe is me!

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS57QDXNVHk

Gee golly ffffffffffffffffffffffffffucking willikers I shhhhhhhhhhhhure can't wait for Junkenstein tomorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrow!!!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Oh and I just remembered I have to buy Orisa's Forest Spirit skin because that's been bugging me all year! 4750 fakebux? Ain't nobody got time for that!

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I'm feeling a bit passive so I instalock Zen on Gibraltar attack, and we win. I get PotG and some decent endorsements.

I go Zen on Ilios and wind up being the solo healer. I absolutely wreck faces to take point 1, and after that the entire enemy team is gunning for me but we go 2 and 0 and I get like 5 endorsements with 4 shot callers :D

I'm still solo healing on Zen on Volskaya defense and they get us to B so I switch to Moira and wind up with another PotG and another pile of endorsements off the back of a Mei and Ham that just wouldn't quit.

Instalock Zen on Blizzworld attack, and we get a Lucio! This is gonna' be awesome!

But it's not. They've got a good Hanzo, an Ana and a Mercy, and an excellent Winston who keeps blockin' my shots with his bubble. We've got a Rein and a D.Va so I consider going Ana, but the Lucio switches first to Ana, then Moira. I go Ana but it's just not working.

Pharah switches to Brig. I go Tracer.

mdclujn6nist.png

This evening's Overwatch is going well.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Also that Mei skin in-game is potent.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    l-o-uncomfortable-l at police brutality brig. too real, too real.

Only yesterday I noticed one of the kill quips for Orisa was "I TOLD YOU TO STOP RESISTING".

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »
    l-o-uncomfortable-l at police brutality brig. too real, too real.

Only yesterday I noticed one of the kill quips for Orisa was "I TOLD YOU TO STOP RESISTING".

I just got a gereat one like that too: "Thank you for your compliance!"

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    PC lootbox legendary: Skäl Torb

Console lootbox legendary: Gargoyle Winston

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Console lootbox legendary: Gargoyle Winston

"I got Toxic Roadhog!"
    "I got Hammond's Hamster Dance!"
    "I got a rock."

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Academy Dva
    Lucio's dance
    Reaper's "ready for action" victory pose.
    Ana's "locked on" highlight intro.

Not bad for my freebie box.

• Options
    Had some awesome games tonight ^.^ pulled off some shots that amazed me.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hamster dance looks so good. Got lucio dance and winston gargoyle in free box. Toxic roadhog is incredible and pharah's is kind of amazing. I love the helm and the astronaut look on her! Good event, good skins.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    jammu wrote: »
    There's good news and bad news:

There's 2 new game-modes that are utterly fantastic.

"Mirrored deathmatch", where everyone plays same random hero. The hero played gets swapped during the match multiple times, but everyone plays same one.

"hero gauntlet" a Deathmatch where everyone starts as McCree. You change your character after each kill (22 different heros). Last hero is Torbjörn with only hammer.

Both are very fun modes except for one thing. There's no backfill.
    Instead when players leave (2 leavers out of 8 players) it just cancels the game.
    This is very infuriating, because it happens more often than matches actually finish.

Really Blizzard, that's gonna be the response to quitters? And of course people will kamikaze those arcade games when they're losing, especially because you won't do shit because they're arcade games, you don't even make an effort in comp.

I feel like this is a super charged response and I just kinda wanna say that yeah, it's an arcade mode, they're not really meant to be taken too seriously (otherwise mayhem wouldn't exist!), and while it's unfortunate I think it's a little strong to treat this like some crazy indictment of blizzard. It is just as, if not more, likely that it's a limitation of the current iteration of workshop that we're not aware of rather than some plot by blizzard to ruin arcade games for everyone. It's considerably more involved than the custom games we had prior to this and therefore might not be that trivial to implement backfill.

This has always been my stance across all games, not just Overwatch: I don't care if you're good or bad but I want you to play the game as intended. Being AFK, just feeding enemies, and leaving, these are all things that ruin the game for other people no matter what kind of mode and in the case of leaving I would say that's the biggest thing that makes the game toxic because it just compounds and the person who caused it all what, loses 25 SR or some exp on the next game? They don't care, if they did they wouldn't leave games. And they've just ruined the game experience for at least five other people. You just let people have a sad and leave The Gauntlet (or comp) and all that time and potential exp is gone, thank you for playing oh BTW fuck off.

Stop punishing the good people because you're scared of being the mean guy to the bad people. They're harder on one-tricks than they are with leavers.

The thing you are complaining about as if it's an intentional design choice is actually just a bug that they have already fixed.

Chill out.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Just swung through the ResetERA Overwatch thread to see what's up and it was like going into our Debate & Discourse thread on Game of Thrones.

Halfway through the series finale on Sunday I was like "oh my God this is crazy - I need a cigarette." I paused the show, went outside, opened my phone and thought "I wonder what people are saying about it?" so I went and checked the D&D thread and read the 15 most recent posts and was like "I... don't hate this show enough to participate in this thread." The cool thing in the community was to be totally down on it, and I was just thrilled by it, so I said nothing and finished my cigarette and enjoyed the rest of the show.

So I swing through ResetERA this morning and it's much the same about Overwatch (and often in this thread, too) - oh it's a dead game and everything's wrong with it and the devs have their heads up their asses and 2-2-2 please."

Maaaan I liked the series finale of Game of Thrones and I love playin' Overwatch. Three cheers for Overwatch! It's fun as hell, stylish as shit and sometimes I peel for a support or tank and they use the Thank You emote! Hip hip!

Chance on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's like I've been saying about a lot of things lately (and, possibly, projecting a bit...): the Internet discussion is largely a self-selected group that either would rather be talking about the game than playing it, or is not presently capable of playing (ie if you're at work). The people who would rather be playing Overwatch are playing it, not talking about it. So the discussion will always skew negative.

It's why I'm trying to spend less time on the Internet in general (not that I seem to be succeeding at the moment...). The discussion is something removed from the thing being discussed.

EDIT: Which is not to deny the existence or possibility of legitimate criticism of any thing.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    jammu wrote: »
    There's good news and bad news:

There's 2 new game-modes that are utterly fantastic.

"Mirrored deathmatch", where everyone plays same random hero. The hero played gets swapped during the match multiple times, but everyone plays same one.

"hero gauntlet" a Deathmatch where everyone starts as McCree. You change your character after each kill (22 different heros). Last hero is Torbjörn with only hammer.

Both are very fun modes except for one thing. There's no backfill.
    Instead when players leave (2 leavers out of 8 players) it just cancels the game.
    This is very infuriating, because it happens more often than matches actually finish.

Really Blizzard, that's gonna be the response to quitters? And of course people will kamikaze those arcade games when they're losing, especially because you won't do shit because they're arcade games, you don't even make an effort in comp.

I feel like this is a super charged response and I just kinda wanna say that yeah, it's an arcade mode, they're not really meant to be taken too seriously (otherwise mayhem wouldn't exist!), and while it's unfortunate I think it's a little strong to treat this like some crazy indictment of blizzard. It is just as, if not more, likely that it's a limitation of the current iteration of workshop that we're not aware of rather than some plot by blizzard to ruin arcade games for everyone. It's considerably more involved than the custom games we had prior to this and therefore might not be that trivial to implement backfill.

This has always been my stance across all games, not just Overwatch: I don't care if you're good or bad but I want you to play the game as intended. Being AFK, just feeding enemies, and leaving, these are all things that ruin the game for other people no matter what kind of mode and in the case of leaving I would say that's the biggest thing that makes the game toxic because it just compounds and the person who caused it all what, loses 25 SR or some exp on the next game? They don't care, if they did they wouldn't leave games. And they've just ruined the game experience for at least five other people. You just let people have a sad and leave The Gauntlet (or comp) and all that time and potential exp is gone, thank you for playing oh BTW fuck off.

Stop punishing the good people because you're scared of being the mean guy to the bad people. They're harder on one-tricks than they are with leavers.

The thing you are complaining about as if it's an intentional design choice is actually just a bug that they have already fixed.

Chill out.

It's not fixed just delayed, it now drops the game when there's only three people left which is just as frustrating because that last leaver is really making a fuck you point with his d/c, count the game as a win and let people who stayed get their win/exp, but it just drops you out to the arcade screen. There's two walls in Gauntlet that people seemed to really leave on, Ana and Rein, and in playing four games of it I have yet to actually finish one even though it has a timer on it too, I felt bad for the person in the lead who finally got to Torb and then the game ended.

On Mirror Deathmatch you can actually finish a game and it has potential but it needs to be kill count based like TDM and not round based, and the spawn points really need to spread out but that's on all deathmatch modes.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    It's like I've been saying about a lot of things lately (and, possibly, projecting a bit...): the Internet discussion is largely a self-selected group that either would rather be talking about the game than playing it, or is not presently capable of playing (ie if you're at work). The people who would rather be playing Overwatch are playing it, not talking about it. So the discussion will always skew negative.

It's why I'm trying to spend less time on the Internet in general (not that I seem to be succeeding at the moment...). The discussion is something removed from the thing being discussed.

EDIT: Which is not to deny the existence or possibility of legitimate criticism of any thing.

Yeah it's a real concern of our post-truth culture (and a font of anxiety for me personally). That's why I love getting Real Deets from Blizzard about how many people are playing this hero or that mode or what have you - they see so much that we don't and can't, and have perhaps the only accurate perspective on how healthy the game's player base is. And even then you gotta' worry that they're only telling us the parts they want us to know... no! Down, Anxiety! (Whacks it with a rolled-up newspaper!) Back! Back, all you tiny worries!

Also,
    Chance wrote: »
    Three cheers for Overwatch! Hip hip!

Horaaay!

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I feel very mixed about the things you two are talking about.

Because on the one hand I feel so wrung dry by the latest season of GoT that I haven't even watched the finale. I'm just honestly tired of the feeling the show has lately. Y'know that feeling that I'm watching a Hollywood adaption of something that was probably more interesting in the original. I'm so tired that I can't even be bothered watching the damn finale of a show I've been following for years now.

But in OW, I'm having a great deal of fun. I don't really care about or understand the "dead game" memes except maybe in the last month before the next hero (can Blizz just start releasing 4 per year instead of 3 PLEEEEEEASE?) and while I agree that Goats is still a significant problem for the top 200 (read: pro) players, I've never seen so many acceptable comps in ranked and Hamtaro is now a respected tank and everything is awesome.

If anything, whenever I post here I feel a little embarrassed to be so into the game that I have to write mini-essays at a time, but I can't help myself because I'm just so into playing the game that I have to say my piece as well. Also, I always feel bad to be bitchin' about a game I like so much and disagreeing with others all the time, but I just feel like there's already a button for agreeing and so the rest is healthy disagreement I guess? I can't imagine people who want to talk about a game they don't or won't play; or players who jut want to fanboy all over their game of choice. Do those people really exist? I can't imagine it.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Never be embarrassed by your affection for something! Unless you're super-jazzed about like, racism or sexism or something. Then tone it down.

But if you're up on Overwatch or Buffy the Vampire Slayer or cross-stitching or whatever, let your freak flag fly.

I love old blues, and Overwatch and Harley, the cowardly feral cat who adopted me.

sxjboehuaizy.png

He's so fluffy.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    That's more fluff than cat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Because on the one hand I feel so wrung dry by the latest season of GoT that I haven't even watched the finale. I'm just honestly tired of the feeling the show has lately. Y'know that feeling that I'm watching a Hollywood adaption of something that was probably more interesting in the original. I'm so tired that I can't even be bothered watching the damn finale of a show I've been following for years now.

But in OW, I'm having a great deal of fun. I don't really care about or understand the "dead game" memes except maybe in the last month before the next hero (can Blizz just start releasing 4 per year instead of 3 PLEEEEEEASE?) and while I agree that Goats is still a significant problem for the top 200 (read: pro) players, I've never seen so many acceptable comps in ranked and Hamtaro is now a respected tank and everything is awesome.

If anything, whenever I post here I feel a little embarrassed to be so into the game that I have to write mini-essays at a time, but I can't help myself because I'm just so into playing the game that I have to say my piece as well. Also, I always feel bad to be bitchin' about a game I like so much and disagreeing with others all the time, but I just feel like there's already a button for agreeing and so the rest is healthy disagreement I guess? I can't imagine people who want to talk about a game they don't or won't play; or players who jut want to fanboy all over their game of choice. Do those people really exist? I can't imagine it.

If someone IRL mentions that they play overwatch I will, without hesitation, ask them who they main and what SR they are and what they like about X hero and what *I* like about the mains I play and naturally that means you have to discuss metas and comp theory and and and

passion is good basically, love what you love

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Musicool wrote: »

If someone IRL mentions that they play overwatch I will, without hesitation, ask them who they main and what SR they are and what they like about X hero and what *I* like about the mains I play and naturally that means you have to discuss metas and comp theory and and and

passion is good basically, love what you love

Above my office in our building is an English-as-a-Second-Language school for immigrant students, and there are always throngs of Asian teenagers and young adults coming and going, with some Eastern-European and African kids sprinkled on top.

One day I get into the elevator wearing my Overwatch black army jacket - it has a big OW crest on one shoulder - and an Asian kid asks me in broken-but-decent English what my rank is.

"Oh I'm terrible," I told him. "I love the game but I'm like, low platinum on PS4."

He immediately swivels his shoulders, turns away, looks down and at the floor and doesn't say another word to me. I exit at my floor.

My boss's boss - the manager for our entire district - is a few hundred SR below me, and a Junkrat main, also on PS4. I like to think I've met and beaten the shit out him in-game and not even known it - a happy thought - but we regularly chat about the most-recent patch or balance issues and he likes teasing me that Tracer is OP and doesn't take skill. It's nice that there's someone who's actually up on Overwatch current events IRL that I can talk to about it (my brother knows nothing about what's going on with the game until I tell him).

So when I told my boss's boss the story about the kid in the elevator, he had a completely different reaction from my own:

"Oh so he was all intimidated, eh?" he says.

That's not what I got from it at all. What I thought at the time was the kid was like "wow this guy has an Overwatch jacket he must be a contenders player or something. Oh my God, he's only in plat? Oh my God he's a console scrub and he's trying to talk to me like a normal person what have I gotten myself into just look away - just look away and maybe he'll forget about you!

Okay. Okay he's off the elevator.

Platinum. Ugh." (Spits on the ground!)

I still believe it was the latter.

Chance on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah Plat on console is like sub-broze on a real gaming machine. You dare to wear OW merch while playing in babytown frolics?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm actually playing a bit here and there again. Didn't play for months. But recently I started working it back into my rotation (that and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 of all things, yes I'm behind on my games).

Mei'ing is just a fun as it ever was. I got this particularly timely icicle headshot on this up-to-that-point terrifying Tracer, and it was just as deeply satisfying as I remember. But then again getting people to actually show up at the cart and fight is also just as cat-herdy as before.

The queue times have gotten too long though. It worries me about the health of the game's community when it takes 1-2 minutes just to find 11 other west coast PC players for QP at 8PM.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Yeah Plat on console is like sub-broze on a real gaming machine. You dare to wear OW merch while playing in babytown frolics?!

I know. You're right. I'm fine. I'm fine.

(Runs to room sobbing and blasts Linkin Park.)
    I'm actually playing a bit here and there again. Didn't play for months. But recently I started working it back into my rotation (that and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 of all things, yes I'm behind on my games).

Mei'ing is just a fun as it ever was. I got this particularly timely icicle headshot on this up-to-that-point terrifying Tracer, and it was just as deeply satisfying as I remember. But then again getting people to actually show up at the cart and fight is also just as cat-herdy as before.

The queue times have gotten too long though. It worries me about the health of the game's community when it takes 1-2 minutes just to find 11 other west coast PC players for QP at 8PM.

Another reason I'm glad to be low plat. Silver, Gold and Plat - that's where the population's at! And 1-2 minutes is nothing, IMO. That's what skirmishes are for. I love skirmishing.

Also Horizon ZD is fucking awesome.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Man, so many heartbreaking losses at the last moment last night. Came in number 1 in one of the new ffa modes though!

Also, the mecha head to dva's legendary skin tracks with her head movements!

soylenth on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    This room and not a Sombra in sight? Yeah I'm just gonna do whatever I want, sorry. (Not sorry)

https://youtu.be/xnM_jZXYQXw

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I been playing overwatch on and off since it released and game is better now than its ever been people just gotta figure out how they deal with the fact stuff gets boring

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    This room and not a Sombra in sight? Yeah I'm just gonna do whatever I want, sorry. (Not sorry)

https://youtu.be/xnM_jZXYQXw

So it's Sombra that Ham Hams fear most, eh? (Writes that down.) Also nice boops!

For me the Ham conundrum is a bit like Soldier or Lucio. Yes, Tracer is fast and I can catch you over a short distance, but if it's a chase that goes longer than about 40 yards, those three bastards can all outrun me - so basically if I can't finish off a Ham in 3 midrange clips, I can't finish off a Ham.

• Options
    If I'm not extra vigilent, Sombra basically removes hammond from play which..fair, I guess?

• Options
    If I'm not extra vigilent, Sombra basically removes hammond from play which..fair, I guess?

I'm not sure that it is. And she does it to my Zen, too :( Sombra hard counter when?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    McCree is more a Richard Hammond counter than Sombra I feel, the flashbang and his gun/fan works better than on anyone else, it's all just a matter of stopping the momentum.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Well a lotta' people got a Fuck Ball button.
    • Mei Wall
    • Mei Freeze
    • Junk Trap
    • Orisa Halt
    • McCree Flash
    • Sombra Hack
    • Hog Hook
    • Rein Pin
    • ummmm....

....is that it? I feel like I'm missin' some. But come to think of it those are all also kinda' Fuck Literally Anyone Who Gets Caught By It buttons.

Chance on
  • Options

I'm not sure that it is. And she does it to my Zen, too :( Sombra hard counter when?

I don't think the hack should be six seconds but yeah

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    OP is now updated for the anniversary event.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    • Mei Wall
    • Mei Freeze
    • Junk Trap
    • Orisa Halt
    • McCree Flash
    • Sombra Hack
    • Hog Hook
    • Rein Pin
    • ummmm....

....is that it? I feel like I'm missin' some. But come to think of it those are all also kinda' Fuck Literally Anyone Who Gets Caught By It buttons.

Reaper: exists

Ball: dies

• Options
    • Mei Wall
    • Mei Freeze
    • Junk Trap
    • Orisa Halt
    • McCree Flash
    • Sombra Hack
    • Hog Hook
    • Rein Pin
    • ummmm....

Reaper: exists

Ball: dies

Yeah Bastion too! But that was only my experience when he first launched and I was playin' games Vs. 5 balls and a Lucio. Reaper and Bastion both just (finger snap) solved the problem.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    He’s a big fat target. Fatter than Hog even and not as durable. If the entire team focuses on a hamster, he dies in like milliseconds. Any dedicated DPS player can fuck a Ball’s whole day by just pointing at him and clicking. All you can do as a Hamster is coordinate with your team as best you can and use some guile to knock people out of position while they’re occupied.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    What about Sym? Does the slow on her turrets mess things up for Hammy? Also @Musicool , you wanna' sound off on this?

• Options
    I’ve never actually had too much of an issue with Sym turrets as Ham, if you’re waddling through chokepoints instead of plowing through at full speed or taking an alternate route with grappling hook you’re doing it wrong

This discussion has been closed.