As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Around that age (beginning of 2nd grade), I got in trouble for not completing a writing prompt about "A time I felt really hungry". I argued that I had never really felt truly hungry, as I ate regularly and never had to forgo food. It was supposed to make us feel for some character in a story the teacher was reading where the character had to not eat for whatever reason. I literally would not complete it, as I felt it wasn't true. Even as the teacher told me to just think about a time I had to wait an extra hour for dinner, and I just replied that that never made me really hungry.
    I was also very depressed in elementary school, so I could see this causing more issues than that one did.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Oh god, finished work now for 5 weeks.

Then I have 3 months off from mid October when my wife goes back to work.

We're going to be obsessively cleaning and tidying the house today and triple checking ours and his hospital bags.

Oh god! It's gone so quick.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think I know what they're trying to get at, but honestly for a 7 year old's development I think the starting question would be "how do your parents love you?", and then you just challenge them to think about how love means a lot of different things

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Wife is being induced on Wednesday.

Our kids could possibly share a birthday!

Man, wife and I really thought this would be done by now. But we're still waiting! We don't really want this kid getting any bigger in there because it's already looking like it'll be a difficult labour.

Also, the later he comes out the less time I get with him before I have to fly back to Addis.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Thanks everyone.

He was visibly upset that he hadn't been able to answer it, which in turn upset me because it seemed like an unfair question to ask a kid.

Like, at that age it's easy to be unsure from minute to minute that your parents love you all the time, never mind reflect on why.

My inclination would also have been some kind of Lisa Simpson-esque answer ("Because they have been conditioned to think that their base biological urge to protect their young has some deeper meaning" or maybe "Why are you so sure that they do when you don't even know them?"). But I was that kind of 7 year old*.

*At least, looking back now, I think I was. I know that when I hear his teacher say 'he needs to learn to let other people give the answers some time even though he knows' I reflexively get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Prolegomena on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    See, I was the kid that would have written "I don't have any parents, I'm Batman."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I know that when I hear his teacher say 'he needs to learn to let other people give the answers some time even though he knows' I reflexively get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

As someone who gets talked over a whole lot and always has, I'm okay with that. Like, sometimes I want the chance to show that I know things too.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    has anybody done any sort of pre-bedtime meditation with their kids?

If so, have you got any recommendations for apps/youtube channels? I'm thinking of something that will start to help winding her down a bit so we don't keep doing these 10pm bedtime.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/DJUIgV7t8C0

Not really what you're asking, but we've regularly put that on to help our kiddo relax and fall asleep. We tried a bunch but she kept asking for that one in particular. She hasn't needed it as much since she's been in kindergarten but she still uses it some.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I let my son pick out a game for me to play on my phone and he falls asleep watching that.

He is not allowed to touch my phone.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    ceres wrote: »
    I know that when I hear his teacher say 'he needs to learn to let other people give the answers some time even though he knows' I reflexively get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

As someone who gets talked over a whole lot and always has, I'm okay with that. Like, sometimes I want the chance to show that I know things too.

Oh yeah you've absolutely to make sure everyone gets a voice in class, no problem with that at all.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I let my son pick out a game for me to play on my phone and he falls asleep watching that.

He is not allowed to touch my phone.

If I had an app that put my kid to sleep she’d be playing it all the time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @lonelyahava Every night Athena falls asleep listening to Enya

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Went to go watch our Little Man get a writing award for his first grade graduation. Trying to pick him out of the sea of grade school kids, my wife and I suddenly see him walk by ten feet away, happily holding hands with some little blond girl. What. This is the same kid who just recently decided to start making retching noises whenever anything romantic happens on a screen, he's too little for that! Also, turns out he belongs to clubs he hadn't mentioned to either me or his mom.
    Just getting smacked in the face today with all different ways my Little Man is slowly gaining independence, without me even realizing it

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We’ve been in the UK for the past week and the kids have done amazingly! They’ve stayed in two different houses and have met dozens of people. Niko was only 2.5 the last time he visited so he didn’t remember anyone.

At my brother’s wedding they were both immensely outgoing and danced with lots of people. It was quite nice as it was in an enclosed building and I barely had to worry about them all evening, as everyone was looking out for them.

They’ve also been playing with their step-cousin the past few days. She is Niko’s age and it’s great to see how well they interact. Evidently a lack of preschool hasn’t stunted his social development at all.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    has anybody done any sort of pre-bedtime meditation with their kids?

If so, have you got any recommendations for apps/youtube channels? I'm thinking of something that will start to help winding her down a bit so we don't keep doing these 10pm bedtime.

Skyrim Atmospheres on repeat worked for my youngest.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    I have a son!f1i5x6izhwr0.jpg

Yay!!! Congratulations! Was he as big as expected?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    OMG baby!! So squishy!

I'm legit tearing up for you over here. I am so very very happy for your family, @SharpyVII

How's Mama? Is she doing ok?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yaaaay baby! He looks great!

If you have friends or relatives coming to visit, now's the time to cash in favors and have them bring you and your partner some real, actual food for the next few days. Congratulations, that's a healthy, happy looking baby!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    A redhead. Make sure you shun him appropriately, as is our people's custom.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2019
    @Janson Thanks, he was 7lb 7oz so not nearly as big as we thought he'd be!

@lonelyahava thank you!

She had to have an episiotomy and the consultant also used a vacuum delivery to help things along. It's 0100 here and he's having his first feed but she's ok

SharpyVII on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Today I taught my kid a valuable life skill:

Mit7hKE.jpg
    0eDTXsv.jpg
    PjjzIdS.jpg

If you've done this yourself, you'll know what I mean.

If you don't recognise what's going on, he's manually assembling the end of a network cable. This is, itself, not the valuable skill, a 30 foot cable costs about five dollars; the valuable skill is the persistence to not give up on with what is a super fiddly and irritating task. (there's eight inner wires that you have to keep lined up in the right order and slot them all into the connector at once -- it's absolutely possible but it is a real pain to get right if you don't have the knack, and even if you do have the knack it can take a lot of tries)

edited May 2019
    Crimpin' ain't easy.

(I'm toying with the idea of only doing one low-hanging-fruit obvious joke post a day but.....ehhh)

Prolegomena on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Her use of a z in place of an s is a proud papa moment for me

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited May 2019
    I know it'll get better but it struggling to sleep at the moment. I keep worrying that the baby's not breathing properly!

He makes a lot of noise when he's still settling but after that he's quiet. Keep waking up and spending ages listening for him.

Midwife says everything is fine but it's just something I can't switch off.

There's a breathing monitor for £80 which I'm tempted to get just to give me peace of mind.

Hopefully it'll get better. The birth upset me quite a lot because one moment everything was normal then within five minutes there were three consultants and five midwives in room doing various things to my wife and the baby.

Usually I'm very composed and my job has exposed me to a lot of horrible stuff but I barely managed to contain my panic.

I'm probably just over tired and I hope I'll feel better tomorrow after a half decent night's sleep.

SharpyVII on
    A monitor is worth decent sleep!

Because I coslept with Niko I didn’t need a video monitor, but I used one of the monitors that attaches to the diaper and alerts you if the baby stops breathing (it only went off once, when it fell off his diaper. It stayed on pretty well!). I did not regret buying it.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Everyone does that. There will come a night that your baby sleeps for six hours or more without waking up and you will wake up completely convinced that they're gone. Realizing that they're fine and just still asleep is the best feeling

So, ya know, look forward to that I guess

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Hopefully it'll get better. The birth upset me quite a lot because one moment everything was normal then within five minutes there were three consultants and five midwives in room doing various things to my wife and the baby.

That's been the way it went with both of ours -- they were both normal labour that wound up as a cesarean, and same thing -- everything was not going anywhere very fast, and then all at once there were lots of people and extra equipment and wheeling off to an operating room and such. Honestly, the fact that it can all switch so rapidly, while possibly a bit unnecessarily dramatic, was actually nice to see because when they want to have something happen, they really will make it happen Right Now Just To Be On The Safe Side.

Janson wrote: »

Because I coslept with Niko I didn’t need a video monitor, but I used one of the monitors that attaches to the diaper and alerts you if the baby stops breathing (it only went off once, when it fell off his diaper. It stayed on pretty well!). I did not regret buying it.

Sounds like the one I've been looking at. Already found the same monitor for £20 cheaper so we'll probably order that.

From my side of the bed I can't barely hear him now as he's fallen in to a deep sleep.

Still farts now and then though :D

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Sounds like the one I've been looking at. Already found the same monitor for £20 cheaper so we'll probably order that.

From my side of the bed I can't barely hear him now as he's fallen in to a deep sleep.

Still farts now and then though :D

"are they still breathing?" is that one terror we all share. It never really goes away, you just get used to it.

Sidenote: you can hold glass or a mirror near their mouth/nose to see if it fogs vs. stirring them. Not that I did that or anything.

I think you're not truly a parent until you wake up confused at three in the morning, happily realize no one's screamed you awake yet, and then lay there for an additional hour (the most paranoid you've ever been) before you go accidentally wake the baby up making sure it's still breathing

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Related to sleeping but not breathing, one of my proudest parenting moments is when I changed my daughter into pajamas while she was asleep without her waking up. Such a high bar :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Haha, Facebook memories told me that two years ago:

Niko was taking a nap at the inlaws’. He woke up and Mori’s mom said ‘hiiiii!’ He yelled ‘NO GRANNY I STILL SLEEPING’, then laid back down and slept for a further twenty minutes.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    I think you're not truly a parent until you wake up confused at three in the morning, happily realize no one's screamed you awake yet, and then lay there for an additional hour (the most paranoid you've ever been) before you go accidentally wake the baby up making sure it's still breathing

So many times.

I would also like to announce new baby :).

He wasn't looking like coming out the traditional way so we went for the more knife-intensive route.

Main reason being he's 4 kg. Seems a robust little chap. He could probably catch up to the weight of his big sister in 18 months or so if this is a sign of things to come.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    My proudest parenting sleep-related moment was when my son awoke crying in the middle of the night and I was able to sing him back to sleep...

through the monitor intercom

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Niko was 4.16 kg at birth and... yeah, he’s currently only 3 lb lighter (1.36 kg) than his big sister these days!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    At Aubree’s 6 month checkup she measured nearly 2 inches longer than her sister did at the same time. This baby might be taller than me by the end.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My favourite exhausted newborn moment is the times I'd wake up in bed, my arms having automatically moved into a cradling position, and I'd be 100% convinced that I was holding the baby for a good minute. Even though we never co-slept. It would take great effort to like, rationalize I wasn't about to dump the baby on the floor by moving.

This discussion has been closed.