As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I do not understand how, in the year of our Lord 2019, there are still white collar workers who don't know how to set their own default Windows printer.

You have to understand, the Rune for 'printer' is under the High Arcanum 'settings', which users dare not gaze upon for fear of blindness.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Salesforce fall down go boom.
    Entire office has resorted to prostrating themselves around the Coffee and Soda coolers
    We are running low on Diet Coke.
    I am out of time...

The scratching has stopped now...

Wait what happened on your instance? We had permissions weirdness this morning but not a full outage.

EDIT: oh shit that ended up being a legit outage....

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Salesforce fall down go boom.
    Entire office has resorted to prostrating themselves around the Coffee and Soda coolers
    We are running low on Diet Coke.
    I am out of time...

The scratching has stopped now...

Wait what happened on your instance? We had permissions weirdness this morning but not a full outage.

EDIT: oh shit that ended up being a legit outage....

Yeh, salesforce took a big ol' dookie for sure. Was a nice couple of hours at least.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    They had my equipment for me when I walked in the door and the whole day was spent in a chair that didn't slowly deflate every few hours.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I know this is hard to hear but it's not me, it is you. I've gone through all the evidence, I've shown you the logs, and I know that you really don't want to believe it, but I'm sorry but it is you who is causing the problem. We can work on this together but just ignoring it or trying to blame something else won't fix this.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Looks like a client wants to hire me. I've been there one afternoon a week for a couple of years, but I'd be transitioning from being a point of escalation and a resource for the helpdesk guys to being their supervisor.

Anyone have tips for making that transition?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I think step one is to stop responding to their requests by telling them to suck my dick and balls

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ...Mr. Garrison

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Looks like a client wants to hire me. I've been there one afternoon a week for a couple of years, but I'd be transitioning from being a point of escalation and a resource for the helpdesk guys to being their supervisor.

Have the client look at their contract regarding poaching employees from your employer first.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    TL DR wrote: »

Have the client look at their contract regarding poaching employees from your employer first.

They've had that conversation already and will be continuing to use my current employer for project work

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Why do people use their work email as their personal email? With so many options out there why would you want all your personal email coming to work?

And it's mortgage documents?? I just don't even.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Why do people use their work email as their personal email? With so many options out there why would you want all your personal email coming to work?

Where I work, it is because you can't access personal email from within the work network.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    nvm figured it out and im ashamed

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Where I work, it is because you can't access personal email from within the work network.
    Where I work, we have personal mail allowed explicitly, so that they don’t have try to sign up to stuff with their work email...

...they still do it.

I had one supervisor who had used her work email for her college-aged daughter’s Facebook account so she could “keep tabs on her.” And then three months later she yelled at me to block all LEGIT email from Facebook company-wide because SHE couldn’t figure out how to disable the many notifications per day she was getting. SHE ACTUALLY CALLED FACEBOOK TO TRY TO GET THEM TO STOP SENDING THEM WHEN I REFUSED.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, they DID ask me for a whoooole lot of hours of interviews. (nine hours of interviews, not including cross country travel for the in person?)

But I got the new job. Tier 3 to Tier 4, here I go.

What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    For those of you annoyed by the recent update to chrome that prioritizes search terms over actual websites or domains,

visit this:

chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions

switch it to disabled then relaunch chrome

I don't know who in their right mind thought this change was a good one but it's been annoying me for a fucking week.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's been doing the what now?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't know who in their right mind thought this change was a good one but it's been annoying me for a fucking week.

An advertising company that wants to drive traffic to their advertising platform. The mistake was thinking "good" meant "good for the users".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Thawmus wrote: »

You used to be able to type a few letters and hit enter to go visit a site. For me I could hit "fo" and hit enter and it'd come here, or "fa" and hit enter and go to facebook.

Now if I do that it looks up any search term I've ever done that uses fo or fa. But turning that omnibox bullshit off fixes it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    SCCM, why you deploy an application to a client that isn’t in the collection? Also, why you no see that the device has the client installed?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    SCCM, why ?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    So far this job is pretty good. The insurance is good, the money is good, the drive is significantly shorter and it's much more laid back.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    So far this job is pretty good. The insurance is good, the money is good, the drive is significantly shorter and it's much more laid back.

Hopefully this is not the episode when you discover that it's really a front for an organ trafficking organization.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »

Hopefully this is not the episode when you discover that it's really a front for an organ trafficking organization.

Worth it.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Just got a case assigned to me:

"Hey this user of ours is having password problems logging in, but when I log in as him I have no problems! Weird huh? Here's his user ID and password in plaintext in the case description so you can log in as him too!"

screams in IT security

fkipp2znjng4.jpg

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

You used to be able to type a few letters and hit enter to go visit a site. For me I could hit "fo" and hit enter and it'd come here, or "fa" and hit enter and go to facebook.

Now if I do that it looks up any search term I've ever done that uses fo or fa. But turning that omnibox bullshit off fixes it.

Type out the "fa", then use the arrow keys to go down to the search term and shift+del. It'll remove it from the suggestions.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I also don't personally see that myself, on the latest version of chrome. Doesn't mean it's not a thing for you but I'm definitely not seeing it so it isn't universal.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    The worst part of the job is that because I got the job with corporate and not the local office I am stuck not able to use Linux when everyone around me is using it.

Also no virtulbox?

But Docker is allowed so that will let me bypass this little hell until I can get a VM on larger hardware or virtual box accepted as allowable.

Delzhand wrote: »

Type out the "fa", then use the arrow keys to go down to the search term and shift+del. It'll remove it from the suggestions.

Which is fine but every time I do a google search it keeps it so I would have to do this very frequently.

I was doing that but I've been searching for some medical stuff that just so happens to start with fa- the past few days so it drove me up a fucking wall.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The correct answer is to delete Facebook.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    For those of you annoyed by the recent update to chrome that prioritizes search terms over actual websites or domains,

visit this:

chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions

switch it to disabled then relaunch chrome

Fucking thank you!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    The worst part of the job is that because I got the job with corporate and not the local office I am stuck not able to use Linux when everyone around me is using it.

Also no virtulbox?

But Docker is allowed so that will let me bypass this little hell until I can get a VM on larger hardware or virtual box accepted as allowable.

I can see why an organization might want to avoid virtualbox. If you're using Docker on Windows, you should have Hyper-V available... it's not as nice as VB for running desktop linux VMs, in my experience, but it's something. If you're on a Mac, :?

edited May 2019
    pentium166 wrote: »

Also no virtulbox?

I can see why an organization might want to avoid virtualbox. If you're using Docker on Windows, you should have Hyper-V available... it's not as nice as VB for running desktop linux VMs, in my experience, but it's something. If you're on a Mac, :?

I chose the Mac because I have an irrational(but totally justified) hatred of Windows 10.

Docker works ok for now. I have an arch base that I am working on adding my toolset to in a docker file.

Seidkona on
    edited May 2019
    See, I understand hating the closed market system of Microsoft products; especially being reliant on their security pacing.

What I don't understand is why that would lead you to choose a Mac.

Darkewolfe on
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    See, I understand hating the closed market system of Microsoft products; especially being reliant on their security pacing.

Because at least BSD is under the hood.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, the goddamned fiber got cut AGAIN. For those of you keeping score at home, that's the 2nd time this month. I don't have time to babysit knuckle dragging primitives who can't understand the concept of buried telecommunications lines while they fumble about with heavy machinery. This truly is frontier IT work.

Yeah, but a twisted, tortured BSD. :p

Yeah, but a twisted, tortured BSD. :p

It's BSD so it deserved it.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, the goddamned fiber got cut AGAIN. For those of you keeping score at home, that's the 2nd time this month. I don't have time to babysit knuckle dragging primitives who can't understand the concept of buried telecommunications lines while they fumble about with heavy machinery. This truly is frontier IT work.

We've had significant portions of our infrastructure go down in the last few years because people break into the repositories where a lot of old copper is run and rip it out to sell. These are ancient concrete bunkers that could probably withstand a bomb, and are mostly filled with fiber these days. Yet...it...still happens.

Meth is a hell of a drug.

This discussion has been closed.