As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is there a way to *remove* RFID blocking from my wallet?

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited May 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently bought this wallet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDZCSVR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The RFID blocking wasn’t even a main selling point, I just liked the wallet. Unfortunately it blocks my metro card from working at kiosks forcing me to pull it out every time which is annoying. I was hoping the clear side wouldn’t block it but no such luck.

I don’t know the details of how blocking works and haven’t had any luck searching for solutions since, understandably, most people want the opposite.

Otherwise I’ll just have to go find a new slim wallet.

Quid on

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    It may or may not be possible to remove the blocking.
    I would expect that the wallet is acting like a Faraday cage, meaning the content is kept in a metal case or metal webbing so that metal may or may not be possible to remove. Try and see it there is some sort of inner liner in the wallet pockets that can be removed.

Nothing to do with your wallet, just a demo of a Faraday cage :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHWOlTJa_bo

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don’t think it’s a webbing since even the clear plastic portion on the outside is blocking the card from being read. And I know it’s not just the thickness of the material since it could be read through my old leather wallet.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a webbing since even the clear plastic portion on the outside is blocking the card from being read. And I know it’s not just the thickness of the material since it could be read through my old leather wallet.

I had a wallet with this feature that just fell apart. It seems like they just put foil inside of the sewn parts of the wallet. Unless you can unseam part of the wallet and resew it, I don't think you can remove it.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    While you can't remove the RFID blocking from that wallet without unsewing it and resewing it together, you can probably have someone customize an extra pocket, or put two elastic bands around it to secure your metro card on the outside of the wallet. Or a hybrid solution where you have someone (or yourself) sew or rivet elastic bands to hold the corners of your metro card onto the wallet, but that seems silly.

If you don't have a phone case, or your phone case is something you can replace, I believe there are phone cases that can hold transit cards snugly. I've seen people use those for BART.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    While you can't remove the RFID blocking from that wallet without unsewing it and resewing it together, you can probably have someone customize an extra pocket, or put two elastic bands around it to secure your metro card on the outside of the wallet. Or a hybrid solution where you have someone (or yourself) sew or rivet elastic bands to hold the corners of your metro card onto the wallet, but that seems silly.

If you don't have a phone case, or your phone case is something you can replace, I believe there are phone cases that can hold transit cards snugly. I've seen people use those for BART.

Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this. The card easily fits in my phone’s case. Gonna test it out after work.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Wouldn't the phone interfere with the chip eventually?

PSN: jfrofl
    edited May 2019
    Radiation wrote: »
    Any interference would come from the physical body of the phone rather than the wireless radio. The NFC writer of the phone (if it has one) has to be very specific parameters (including a crypto key) to write on the chip (reading it, apparently, doesn't take a cryptographic key on Clipper Cards). There are folks who even take out the RFID tag from the card and just paste it to their phones. AFAIK, the only thing you have to worry about is physical damage to the chip.

EDIT:
    Like, holy shit, people have taken Clipper cards (SF's metro card) and melted it in acetone, then took out the chip and the antenna loop and embedded them into jewelry and shit.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Spice-up-your-BART-commute-with-a-Clipper-card-13721470.php

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited May 2019
    No luck with the phone :(

I think I’m just gonna have to cave and get a different wallet.

Edit: new question. Does anyone even sell a minimalist wallet that does have RFID protection?

Quid on
    No luck with the phone :(

I think I’m just gonna have to cave and get a different wallet.

Edit: new question. Does anyone even sell a minimalist wallet that does have RFID protection?
    I'm pretty sure most Real Leather (TM) wallet makers will make a wallet that has no RFID protection (which is what I think you are asking, since most minimalist wallets have RFID protection).

They may be under a different name, though:
    https://hideanddrink.com/products/card-sleeve

Depends on what aesthetic you are going for. I'm quite pleased with the few Hide and Drink products I've bought.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Those are excellent and I’ve ordered one.

Now to play the waiting game.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Those look cool, but I'd be worried about my cards bending in my pocket.

Quid, be sure to report back on how it works! :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Nope, sorry. But a real leather wallet.

What is this I don't even.
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I think the slimmy wallet has an rfid blocking wallet

camo_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If anyone is interested in a middle ground for wallets, I've been using a Allet for about 6 years now.

Outside is leather and the inside is rip-stop parachute material.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Any interference would come from the physical body of the phone rather than the wireless radio. The NFC writer of the phone (if it has one) has to be very specific parameters (including a crypto key) to write on the chip (reading it, apparently, doesn't take a cryptographic key on Clipper Cards). There are folks who even take out the RFID tag from the card and just paste it to their phones. AFAIK, the only thing you have to worry about is physical damage to the chip.

EDIT:
    Like, holy shit, people have taken Clipper cards (SF's metro card) and melted it in acetone, then took out the chip and the antenna loop and embedded them into jewelry and shit.

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Spice-up-your-BART-commute-with-a-Clipper-card-13721470.php

This here is the real solution, melt down your card and turn it cast it into the snake head of your cane.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    folks at my work put their metro cards with their work badges.

zepherin wrote: »

I refuse to wear my work badge while commuting on principle.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I tack my train cards to my work badge so I can never leave without both, and just keep the train cards in my pocket during work. This is very specifically so I can't get on the train without my badge though.

What is this I don't even.
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Clearly you need to stick it under your skin on my wrist

camo_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

This is a good principle to uphold.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Late to the party, and a less good solution than the new wallet, but:

Transparent shielding is apparently a thing, so you could probably buy a sheet of normal plastic, cut out the old window, and super glue the non-interfering stuff back in place.

(But having to slap your open your wallet on the scanner several times a day sounds like a recipe for disaster)

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I believe passive RFID works by how radio waves interact with magnetic fields, which creates power for the chip on the card to transmit back to the reader. By blocking just a single side of the wallet it can interrupt the magnetic power transfer, and there stop passive rfid devices from working.

If it was active RFID, meaning the rfid tag is powered on it's own, that wallet probably wouldnt stop anything from transmitting through the clear plastic.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

EDIT:

My favorite is the guy who delaminated a commuter card chip, and put it into a "magic wand".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum