As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Ares all the way
    Blade rifts and Doom are very effective when combined

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh also the Artemis cast upgrade where enemies take 200 damage when the cast dislodges?

fucking amazing against bosses

I just got my first completion with the 300 damage version of this, it is extremely good

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Why do we build the wall?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    for anyone who wants to see the bit where I found out Zag is canon bi, here's some screencaps of it

spoilers for some NPC conversations!
    tumblr_pkwy2rS4Vy1rxbm65o3_500.png

tumblr_pkwy2rS4Vy1rxbm65o2_500.png

tumblr_pkwy2rS4Vy1rxbm65o1_500.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Why do we build the wall?

That song is eerie as fuck to listen to in 2019, considering it’s from 2010

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I won a run where I had the machine gun with exposive shot, and close range spread, and chain lightning on attack.

It was beautiful chaos

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I never use the cast. I have won with the spear and the sword so far. I love the reflect dash. Always pick that one.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I use cast almost exclusively for the damage bonus from boiling blood.

Unless i get the Aphrodite boon that turns it into a shotgun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I need to unlock more difficulty modifiers so that I can find a skull mix that works for me. Came close to a clear with 150% damage and 2 heart shields on enemies, but couldn't get through Theseus' final phase. The heart shields get super annoying in Elysium when you're trying to rush down eye balls (my build was modified gun to do single slow shots, which were strong as hell but terrible for getting through those heart shields before they'd respawn)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I beat theseus and the minotaur last night with a really stupid build that I didn't think would work even slightly

but the artemis/Athena duo boon is uh, real good, apparently

• Options
    I've gotten like one duo boon in the time I've been playing, and it helped get me a clear (Dionysus fog cast that would also rain down Zeus lightning).

Hope to see a lot more things like that that really mix up the gameplay as the game develops.

Steam ID
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I think it'd be cool if there were duo boons for every combination. Or at least more than there are right now. Some of the gods only have a single duo boon.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Who do y'all think the last god is going to be? There's still several Olympians that are completely unaccounted for, and others who only have a limited role thus far:
    • Hermes, with currently nothing in the game referencing him (he would also serve as an interesting boss for the fourth area though, owing to his role as psychopomp)
    • Apollo, with currently nothing in the game referencing him
    • Hestia, who was the original wielder of the Exagryph
    • Hera, who was the original wielder of the Bow
    • Hephaestus, with currently nothing in the game referencing him
    • Demeter, who is your grandmother (and also aunt, because Greek mythology)

Personally my pick would probably be Apollo, as it feels weird to have his sister and not have him. There are a couple of obvious directions to take with him - lean on his role as a sun god to deal burning damage and light enemies on fire, or on his role as a god of plague and healing to do poison effects (although Dionysus currently has these pretty well handled).

Of course there are also dozens of gods who aren't part of the 12 Olympians (of which there are 13, yes), but I've been kind of assuming it will stick to those.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    I had my first run where I accomplished anything with the spear last night. First upgrade was the Daedalus one that makes the special bounce. Then got an epic version of the Poseidon one to give it knockback, then got the rupture upgrade. Made it most of the way through Elysium. I rarely even beat three furies with the spear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hephaestus seems like he'd make sense in terms of crafting/upgrades

• Options
    edited May 2019
    it seems weird to me that the upgrade hammers are Daedalus' hammer, and not Hephaestus

Hermes and Apollo seem like the most likely choices for a new category of boon, but I'd be happy with Hera or Hestia too

I would like it if Hestia showed up in some capacity, it makes a lot of sense for the goddess of the hearth to appear in a story about trying to get to your true home

Shorty on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I had my first run where I accomplished anything with the spear last night. First upgrade was the Daedalus one that makes the special bounce. Then got an epic version of the Poseidon one to give it knockback, then got the rupture upgrade. Made it most of the way through Elysium. I rarely even beat three furies with the spear.

This is interesting - the bounce spear upgrade is the one I will never take because it feels like such a trap to me

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I won a run where I had the machine gun with exposive shot, and close range spread, and chain lightning on attack.

It was beautiful chaos

I had a run where I had the Adamant Rail with the unlimited chamber upgrade, and I'd picked up not only chain lightning, but a Legendary boon from Zeus (I'm not sure I've seen a legendary boon since) that caused a secondary explosion whenever lightning damage occurred. The Hydra melted in about 2 minutes. It was insane.

• Options
    Rooms with 4 armored shield guys should be illegal

Also getting past Theseus' shield feels impossible with some builds

Steam ID
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

It was beautiful chaos

I had a run where I had the Adamant Rail with the unlimited chamber upgrade, and I'd picked up not only chain lightning, but a Legendary boon from Zeus (I'm not sure I've seen a legendary boon since) that caused a secondary explosion whenever lightning damage occurred. The Hydra melted in about 2 minutes. It was insane.

That might be because legendary boons (along with duo boons) have requirements for showing up.

Generally they can show up if you have one of that god's boons that further improve other boons. The wiki calls those tier 2 boons and legendary and duo boons are tier 3, though I don't think those terms are used in the game itself.

If the info on the wiki is to be trusted, it's also not as straightforward as having a tier 2 boon. For example, Artemis has four different tier 2 boons, some of which improve different things. The requirement for her legendary boon is listed as one of the two that improve your crits.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

This is interesting - the bounce spear upgrade is the one I will never take because it feels like such a trap to me

I am real bad with the spear. The special has such a narrow area of effect I whiff a lot. I'd gladly give up the backstab on return for reliably hitting nearby dudes, so i can just spam more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This 60 skull challenge is going to be tough

Steam ID
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hello I started playing this last night and it is really goddamn good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I went from making it past Meg 50% of the time to clearing the Bone Hydra my first time getting to it and then beating Theseus and The Minotaur the run after that

Game....is good

The final run I really lucked out and got an incredibly cheesy build where I had Athena's dash that dealt a ton of damage (50-60) each dash and deflected attacks. Dionysus' shield ricochet which applied sick and like 5 charges of Defy Death upgraded to restore 60% HP instead of 20%

It was beautiful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I still can't crack Theseus, though I've only gone up against the elysium boss like 3 times

Minotaur is very doable, keep him separate, watch out for spears, dodge his shit, all well and good

Theseus is a blocking fiend and I hate him

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I love this game but got extremely stuck in Theseus against the boss there before the two major patches came out, so I've been giving it a little more time to cook before I come back

This is the only roguelike I've really ever felt any investment in

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I love that one of Zagreus' responses to Hypnos' utterly useless advice is just a deadpan: "OK!"

• Options
    I hope they fill in the third row of keepsakes with some wild shit

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Beat Elysium for the first time.

Had a shield build with Athena dash, Zeus attack and an AOE dash attack, with Doom and invincibility both on getting hurt. I was never really in any danger.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    oh my god the heart symbol was created solely to convey my reaction to and feelings for Dusa.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    I love that one of Zagreus' responses to Hypnos' utterly useless advice is just a deadpan: "OK!"

I love conversation where you catch him offering advice to Megaera.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    How twitchy is this game? It looks neat but if it requires fast reflexes I'll have to pass.

EDIT: Never mind, it's Windows only anyway.

Butler on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    How twitchy is this game? It looks neat but if it requires fast reflexes I'll have to pass.

EDIT: Never mind, it's Windows only anyway.

That’s probably just while it’s in early access - Supergiant’s other games are on PS4 and Switch, and I assume Xbox as well

• Options
    I'm like 30 runs in and haven't seen thanatos yet, its weird

Also whats up with those heat holes? Is it ever worth it to have enough heat to actually enter one?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm like 30 runs in and haven't seen thanatos yet, its weird

Also whats up with those heat holes? Is it ever worth it to have enough heat to actually enter one?

Thanatos take a real long time to show up.

The rewards from Infernal Troves are better (like a Minotaur Heart will give +50 instead of +25), but your have to clear a room without getting hit. If you're just looking to get a clear then it's not worth the skull cost, but if you're doing the skull clear challenges anyways then yeah they're totally worth doing.

Steam ID
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I hope this comes to PS4 some day, it looks really cool

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Made it to Theseus and the Minotaur for the first time last night, they are a total BS fight through it looks like the kind of BS that's the fun kind and with a little more practice I'd be able to get by. This was with the rail gun and a rather unexciting set of boons aside for one from Dionysus which reset my health to a minimum after each room which was very helpful to clear act 3.

It still feels like ranged weapons are the way to go for this game. Melee is where all the dangerous stuff happens, so you want to be as far as possible from there as possible. The bow and especially the rail gun let you stay safe while using your superior mobility to avoid damage.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    I finally beat Theseus and the Minotaur!

I was using the shield, with the two forever bounce upgrades and a variety of Ares boons that meant there was a stacking doom on anything I hit with it. The shield is normally not my favorite but I guess it was effective.

• Options
    the bow and rail gun are awesome on regular enemies, and in the first two boss fights

theseus and the bull are really tough with the bow and even tougher with the rail gun, since you have to be stationary to use them and you really need to be able to dash basically whenever against them

I've had the best results with the shield and the sword in that fight

• Options
    Yeah my shield move by the end was just letting it fly and dashing around (I had the Zeus dash upgrade) for a bit and repeating

Technically I could still use the shield to block while it was in mid-flight too, but I mostly just dashed