As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    templewulf wrote: »

What is that move even for at this point?

That is the most violent nerf I have ever seen.

I mean in BBTAG that move was always horseshit, but still.

Maybe don’t include the character if his primary mechanic is just too ridiculous for the system you built.

Transporter on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    a grim reminder of the past, lest we repeat our sins

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah I know, I can't do them. The pressure tutorials with Baraka and combo tutorials with Raiden are too difficult.
    Ah. On PS4 / shareplay?

I'm a PC chap! I thought about writing a macro to play it for me. I can actually do the Baraka string but not with tight enough timing for it to register as having passed the tutorial. The Raiden one I could probably do with enough practise but it's like... am I going to spend an hour practising this combo on a character I'll never play again.

I think I know the trial you're talking about

I'm pretty sure I got lucky but it took me way too long to satisfy what it wanted and almost gave up

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So someone did some datamining in the new bbtag patch and found announcer lines for... pretty much every character that could possibly end up in the game? It's hilarious. I feel like they either put it in there to troll or drum up interest in the game. There's even characters from 2 series not in the game yet.

https://youtu.be/V_AcGAQt2n8

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hah, that'll teach data miners! (it won't, but it's still funny)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    No Elizabeth, even in your data miner troll? dang you AS.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    There are call outs for Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys, they just forgot them in the video.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Ono has hinted more SFV updates to be announced in August

possibly after being called out for saying that "this season would be a little different" when they actually meant "lol we're done working on the game"

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Didn't we already have a Season 3.5 patch by this time last year? Another balance tuning would be the main thing I'm looking forward to, though what everyone else seems to be demanding is more Season 4 characters beyond just the one that's five months old by now. Although, imagine what the reaction would be if they'd sold a Season 4 Pass like usual and then waited this long to not yet add a second.

In the meantime, I'd preorder that new Sakura costume if that was an option, but I guess I'll just wait until Wednesday then get it.

• Options
    in season 3 they had a very early balance patch that was announced around Final Round and released not long after

i wouldn't even call it mid-season... its almost like they forgot or were not able to finish on time their original goals for S3, so they just patched it later

i don't think the game needs a balance pass... IMO it's very reasonably balanced. If you look just below the absolute upper crust of pro play, character variety is STRONG right now.

The cast is decent, but I think that it deserves more, and I think the game does suffer a little from a lack of variety from character to character, and with the latest deck of DLC characters being a little underdeveloped or uninteresting (if Kage's movelist was only like 5 entries long, you'd barely be able to tell the difference)

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Yeah SFV's tiers are very compressed, but like you said there are fewer distinct playstyles, and that also means that there are few reasons to play the characters that do the same thing but a little worse, eg. why bother with any shoto but Akuma.

Honestly I think if they just pushed up the bottom tiers A LITTLE BIT, and just adjusted some "common sense" stuff (like Ibuki's stupid fucking vskill hurtbox reelback bullshit) to the top tiers, then the game would be basically in great balance. Some people might argue for bigger Ibuki/Rashid/Akuma nerfs but they're just good characters that match the system well, I think that's more of a systemic thing. You'd have to remove tools for them to not be good and I don't think that's a good idea.

Re: new characters, I think 5 more characters for 40 total would be the max for me personally. I found USF4 (44 chars) had wayyyyyy too many characters, honestly I think SFV is up there too. There are way too many matchups to learn already, in a game that's incredibly punishing to small mistakes. The cast feels smaller because there are unpopular characters, but I don't think there's a single terrible character in the game, and you're going to have the problem of under-played characters regardless of cast size. It would take basically system level changes to fix that, and that's going to be Street Fighter Six, so...

Having said that I don't think the past season was bad in terms of underdevelopment/interest. Actually I don't even think Kage is all THAT bad, though I could see the argument there. Past season had G, Falke (who isn't great but I don't think her problems are so much underdevelopment as much as weakness), Cody (also kinda weak but not uninteresting I think), Blanka (who I think is a little underbaked but not like, terribly so), and Sagat/Sakura are shotos who are gonna shoto.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    i just want honda

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    It's been a few weeks, let's see what's going on in MK11.

*fights nothing but scorpions, erron blacks and sub zeroes, gets cursed out for zoning*

So the same thing. :)

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I don't think I want more characters in SFV, I just want a different game at this point.

Not that I really hated the game, I'm just ready for something different at this point. Yes I'm aware that other companies are putting out all sorts of "something different" but I *like* Street Fighter. I just don't love *this* Street Fighter. It's just hard for me to articulate what I would want Street Fighter VI to be outside of "Third Strike with buffed low tiers."

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I think the number one thing I'd like to see Street Fighter approach is doing a better job differentiating similar characters in terms of playstyle and, mostly, mechanical reasons to use them over one another. It would be nice if playing Sakura didn't feel totally stupid compared to just picking Akuma, etc. Speaking of which - if you can't differentiate your characters like this very well, maybe don't intentionally design an ubermensch for the character archetype, either.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I think the number one thing I'd like to see Street Fighter approach is doing a better job differentiating similar characters in terms of playstyle and, mostly, mechanical reasons to use them over one another. It would be nice if playing Sakura didn't feel totally stupid compared to just picking Akuma, etc. Speaking of which - if you can't differentiate your characters like this very well, maybe don't intentionally design an ubermensch for the character archetype, either.

What I'm hearing is "give Sakura an air fireball"

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    She did have one in Marvel series, along with giant hitboxes on them.
    0wHWWj5.gif

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Fuck it just put mvc2 sak in sfv.

With shin sakura and raging demons.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Sakura is fine, she's got enough stuff.

If SFV has any issue, it's that "having stuff" doesn't matter, because there's like 3 or 4 characters that simply don't need "stuff" to win. They're just inherently oppressive. This isn't a balance problem in the abstract (imo), but it defines tournament meta, and it makes learning lower tier characters feel like shit sometimes because you're doing Beautiful Mind level gameplanning and your opponent is just scoring hard knockdowns and building v-bar for existing.

I have felt (and probably said) pretty much since Season 2... if you removed like a handful of certain characters from SFV, it would be the most balanced fighting game in the universe ever.... the non-top-tiers are SUPER balanced and the matchups are fun... but then that bitch Ibuki has to show up......

• Options
    Samurai Showdown character auction is live at Combobreaker. Most are going for $100+. Haumaru went for $200.

• Options
    Aw man. Wish I was home to watch that.

• Options
    SamSho looks really fucking good and these guys barely know how to play.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If I wasn't already convinced to buy SamSho, this convinced me x2.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

looks like daigo's custom hitbox is banned at combobreaker

which seems a little silly since the trick he's doing can also be done using a standard PS4 pad

Brolo on
  • Options
    horrible decision. mob rule hasn't earned the pro scene too much of late.....

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Seems like something that’s more trouble than it’s worth unless you’re also daigo

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    blaze_zero is in the mystery game tournament at combo breaker

won his first two matches, on stream again right now

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    The mystery games tournament was a blast. I would go for just that. It is also the best I ever did at anything there.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Mena beats Tokido in pools

• Options
    Loving this Hitbox ad that's playing for Combobreaker where they tell me to "Unleash The Beast"

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Build your own Hitbox and put a Brooks Universal board in it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    damn clayfighter in the mystery game tournament? that was my time to shine and I'm not there

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SamSho looks really fucking good and these guys barely know how to play.

SamSho's getting played?! I've been watching the MK stream.

Watching the archive on youtube now. Must be the video quality because the frame rate looks a bit rough in spots.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    mystery game tournament has been back on for a little while

crossing my fingers for galactic wrestling featuring ultimate muscle

or sculptor's cut

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

KI losers Finals right now. These have been very good games so far.

• Options
    pocket rumble on mystery game tournament

nobody seemed to care when the game came out but I liked it a lot

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Pocket rumble came out on steam in early access with two characters to no fanfare, and they added a new character like every 4 months. I feel like that was a really good way to kill an indie fighting game.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    i only played the switch release but I know that was very delayed which didnt help

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Also the last update to the Steam version was back in April of 2017 I think. It's still tagged as "Early Access" too.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Decided to play some MK11 online. I'm scrub tier at this game but I do know how to block...that upsets people greatly.

This discussion has been closed.