As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Junkrat #2 best character behind McCree, I feel he's fine and he's never felt cheap (if you get trapped, you're not paying attention), but I would be fine with a damage nerf to riptire if they brought back the old speed again

But then it couldn't one-shot tanks and is that even a DPS ult at that point? Science says no!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Junkrat #2 best character behind McCree, I feel he's fine and he's never felt cheap (if you get trapped, you're not paying attention), but I would be fine with a damage nerf to riptire if they brought back the old speed again

But then it couldn't one-shot tanks and is that even a DPS ult at that point? Science says no!

Let's ask Tracer...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I remember the first nerf after they overbuffed him and you could basically just launch the tire cross map and drop it vertical on a blob's collective skull.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."

Let's ask Tracer...

Tracer says NO! ...but I'll be honest if they replaced Pulse or upped its charge for more damage I'd probably feel kinda burned by it. As it is, it's a very powerful cooldown skill equivalent to Rez or Immortality Field - it's important for her to have it up every teamfight or it seriously feels like you're Mei playing with Cryo on cooldown. It's as much an intrinsic part of her kit as Rewind - so as-is it's like I don't have an ult in the true sense - I have a powerful skillshot cooldown with a charge requirement.

And speaking of, I finished my first Overwatch vid in like, three months or more. I think my last one was about playin' around in Paris so it's... been a while.

https://youtu.be/hp6clC0NK3c

Of note:
    0:25 - Zen, Widow and Sym on Rialto. I'm pretty sure I have never 0-100 one-clipped more people in a row than I do here. Very proud.
    0:44 - Blizzworld final point. This is the game this week where I'd started as Zen but switched to Tracer when our Pharah went 3rd support. Witness what can be accomplished when a Mei and Tracer work together. Also, the Brig that comes out at the end? That was the Mercy, who'd switched - can't imagine why.
    1:11 - I fought this Zen and his team across about four matches, and he would literally always use Trance to escape every time I jumped him. He just wouldn't risk a duel with me. Going in at the right place at the right time and putting bullets in someone's back = Tracer Magic.
    1:56 - Months ago - The Melancholy Song of a Reinhardt Ignored. I don't need to shoot you to kill your spirit, Rein.

I had to include it in a vid, I just had to.

Here's a question: should McCree have another or improved mobility or defensive tool? Without Flash he's a sitting duck, and yet he's unmatched in his niche. Lots of heroes are sitting ducks without certain CDs - so maybe it's fair - but maybe it's only fair compared to the launch roster and how they were balanced at the time. McCree kind of sits among Widow, Ashe and Soldier, but all of them have way, way better mobility options and thus better general survivability than the cowboy.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The thing I'd change about RIP-tire is putting a maximum turning angle on it, such that it's steered instead of being able to reverse its velocity with a mouse swipe. That would retain the majority usr-case while letting you actually get a head start on the thing if you evade it the first time around.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kupi wrote: »
    The thing I'd change about RIP-tire is putting a maximum turning angle on it, such that it's steered instead of being able to reverse its velocity with a mouse swipe. That would retain the majority usr-case while letting you actually get a head start on the thing if you evade it the first time around.

How 'bout this: Junk can't just detonate it with a button push. The button push begins a 1-sec fuse that enemies can hear as a shrill beeping, creating an opportunity for sharp-eared players to pop their defensive abilities. Is that a terrible idea? I don't believe it is. They'd have more than the amount of warning folks get from a Pulse Bomb stick, but they'd have to escape a much bigger area to survive without a bubble/cryo/fade etc.

Man, I really like that idea. I don't think that's a bad one.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    With that unneeded buff yesterday it seems like they're trying to make McCree the glass cannon DPS to make up for buffing Loser 76 way too much. He has no mobility without getting a cooldown, he's got an ample hitbox, he has no self heal like other DPS losers, but if he can see you he'll punish you even faster. I wouldn't be surprised if reload gets a buff soon too, but always liked the idea of maybe him doing extra damage to barriers, if only because it's a fair tradeoff for using 1/6 of your ammo to try and break a bunker compared to other spray and pray heroes against a barrier.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2019
    Startin' to think he could use another range nerf. A headshotting McCree - without this buff - is doing 300 damage per second.

That's a lot. That's like Sentry Bastion. And when the pros get ahold of a hero like that... well, a buffed up McCree will get nerfed pretty quick, ah reckon.

Chance on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Startin' to think he could use another range nerf. A headshotting McCree - without this buff - is doing 300 damage per second.

That's a lot. That's like Sentry Bastion. And when the pros get ahold of a hero like that... well, a buffed up McCree will get nerfed pretty quick, ah reckon.

Pro McCree is pretty close to not having an Ult as well. I wonder.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Played mirrored death match for the first time last night and was having a blast. It’s the first time in a while I caught myself giggling with joy while not playing as junkrat (who always makes me that way).

Though the everyone plays as Widow part needs to die. That was tedious and boring and I kept dieing.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought it was "everyone turns into the same random character" but it's actually a fixed playlist of all the characters I'm terrible at. Pretty sure that bonus box is going to go unclaimed on my account.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited May 2019
    23roif1u9hdq.jpg

Edit: so upon reflection what I actually need isn't a "distracted boyfriend" meme, I need a "totally content in his long-term relationship boyfriend" meme where he's just happy in the arms of Quickplay and New Arcade Mode is trying desperately to get his attention. But nah, man. Nah. He'll dance with the one what brought him.

Chance on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    More like me staring at the arcade boxes while Competitive Mode looks disgusted with me

Maybe you'd spend more time with Competitive if Competitive didn't make you feel so negative about yourself.

I feel like maybe Competitive's not the healthiest companion and should be more supportive of you.

edited May 2019
    https://youtu.be/QpU5V9V24l8

Here is five minutes of me shooting at a barrier, sometimes other things, with 76

edit: The moira said some unsavory thing in voicechat I didn't catch sooo be aware of that. I retroactively reported person since that was the last game I played

Beezel on
    Those were some excellent Visors. Your aim's good enough that I was pretty shocked when you whiffed the rocket on the ulting McCree. Missing that rocket shifted the whole round lol.

Those were some excellent Visors. Your aim's good enough that I was pretty shocked when you whiffed the rocket on the ulting McCree. Missing that rocket shifted the whole round lol.

I knooooowwww I had that dude dead to rights and I was so mad at myself that I missed that

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    we9c0pedl4031.jpg
    v99y1ocdl4031.jpg
    Actually ridiculous cosplay

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    rip tyre is the worst part of junkrats kit and kind of a meme. even worse if you have any latency at all (gl detonating that shit in a 4K game when you have 150ms)

also a s s l o a d s of climbing bugs

obF2Wuw.png
    rip tyre is the worst part of junkrats kit and kind of a meme. even worse if you have any latency at all (gl detonating that shit in a 4K game when you have 150ms)

also a s s l o a d s of climbing bugs

xi7q1w0dctbl.gif

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm not likin' the new Junk the more I both play as and against him. His time to kill is too low thanks to his burst. Anyone who knows how to mine jump with him basically flicks a switch that says "You're not allowed to play zen, Ana, or anyone else that doesn't have an instant activation Oh Shit button". As it stands he kills non-tanks so fast that even a Tracer will be extremely hard pressed to hit her rewind or dash in time, and even if they DO get away nine times out of ten they're low enough on health that a D.Va can scratch them from across the map and kill them. I don't mind him dealing big chunky damage with direct hits, but they need to lower his fire rate to compensate for the fact that he can kill an Ana or a Mercy in less than a second with a follow up mine thrown in to the mix.

edited May 2019
    Oh if a Junk gets the drop on any "squishy" up to and including the 250hp heroes he can kill them so fast it's like they were two-shotted by the focus fire of two other heroes.

So either come at him from so far away he can't respond quickly (Soldier, Widow, Hanzo, Ashe) or from behind so he may not be able to respond at all (Tracer, Genji).

Edit: also he can't usually get the drop on you if you can hear him and he's super-loud when he's not airborne or being sneaky. Lots and lots of heroes can just delete Ana, Zen, Mercy, Bap... and Junk can too.

Chance on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    also Junk has easily one of the biggest/most easily targeted 200-HP hitboxes in the game

a junk trying to get close enough to get a remote bomb on a backline enemy is putting himself at immense risk

Or he's just one of these hot doggers doin' it for the lulz! You can't trust 'em!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Baby DVa has been demeched

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Baby DVa has been demeched

"I'm babing out!"

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    edited May 2019
    The thing about Junkrat is that most fights are so barrier heavy that if you die to spam that was kinda on you for not being where you were supposed to be. Junkrat's best tool is the near instant grenade/detpack combo that'll just dumpster any 200hp hero if you catch him coming around a corner or if he's particularly suicidal, just jump into a group and kill a healer instantly. If the junk is smart he'll usually use that detonation as an escape to fly back towards his team.

I kinda find myself having to play incredibly scrappy as Junkrat to be effective because you kinda have to. You have to get in there. Effectiveness goes down trying to use him as long range artillery.

Beezel on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Honestly the principle of beating a Junkrat on a 1v1 is pretty much the same way to beat a Reaper, engage at range, build distance and for the love of god stop trying to duel in enclosed spaces where they own that space

The only real difference is that Junkrat's primary fire also controls a lot of space so the more you let him do it, the bigger the threat he becomes

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Honestly the principle of beating a Junkrat on a 1v1 is pretty much the same way to beat a Reaper, engage at range, build distance and for the love of god stop trying to duel in enclosed spaces where they own that space

The only real difference is that Junkrat's primary fire also controls a lot of space so the more you let him do it, the bigger the threat he becomes

Yeah one of the coolest things about Junk's design is that he's a threat at two totally different ranges. 'Spam' range and CQB range. Hell, he's even a different kind of threat at those two ranges. At spam range he's, fittingly, a ticking time bomb. Don't stay grouped at that range against a Junk for any length of time or he'll burn down all your barriers, get ez ult charge, maybe a surprise kill or two, then charge a wheel and end the fight. And if that happens before you close with your enemy, that's kinda on you. But at the same time, don't get too close (as a squishy) or he'll blow you up. And also, he's no threat at all to single targets at mid+ range. Only groups.

So Junk's threat level is just super-duper interesting and unique and that's part of why I love him. I don't even play him but I love that he exists. Every time a Junk kills me I feel like Junk earned it or I deserved it. When his tyre was OP and his conc blast was fire-and-forget I was onboard with the Junk hate-train, but these days I kinda like him. I'd even be on board with some small buffs.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    The problem I've been running in to, especially as Ana/Zen, is that half decent junkrats don't let you fight them at range, they use a mine to jump around whatever shield tanks you have protecting you and just instakill you before you can hurt them enough to kill them.

That's why it was necessary to give Junk 2 mines - he wasn't really meeting his potential as a flanker 'till he had 2 of 'em.

He can already break shields better than anyone except Bastion, he shouldn't be able to delete people before they can even react. Nobody should be able to do that, it just turns that character into the Fun Police where you aren't allowed to play anything that can't survive more than 2 hits.

I have a similar complaint against Widowmakers too, but at least their skill ceiling is much higher and it's way harder for them to get around shields. One hit kills just aren't fun for anyone who isn't the person dealing it out, because the game just turns into a "Watch the respawn timer" simulator.

I... would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Double everyone's health. Keep damage output the same.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That would just make 3 tank 3 healer the only comp. Getting picked isn't fun but if picks can't happen then the only alternative is to brawl.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there's a reason everybody calls junkrat j-silly at high sr and it's not because he's tearing up silly levels of ass

obF2Wuw.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    The problem I've been running in to, especially as Ana/Zen, is that half decent junkrats don't let you fight them at range, they use a mine to jump around whatever shield tanks you have protecting you and just instakill you before you can hurt them enough to kill them.

If Junkrat is having to minejump around the shield to kill you then he's telegraphing it. Someone should be reacting to this. If you're not and just letting him land and murder you then it's your fault. If you can't see him to react then you're in a bad position. If you were in a good position and he did a circus jump to get to you and dropped a precision pill and mine to kill you, then they deserve credit for making a good play.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Three cheers for mcrees who just hide in a corner waiting for their ult to charge.

soylenth wrote: »
    Three cheers for mcrees who just hide in a corner waiting for their ult to charge.

I had no idea that was a thing :(

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, I hate to be the Git Gud guy because lord knows I'm living in a glass house here, but I genuinely want you to learn!

Coz if Junkrats are consistently one-shotting you,seemingly out of nowhere, with a minejump and the one-shot combo at point blank then you're doing something wrong pretty consistently.

Sure these things happen sometimes regardless of your best intentions. But that combo can't happen out of nowhere. Mine jumping covers horizontal ground only a little faster than walking and it puts Junk on a very high and obvious arc. Even as Ana/Zen, if Junks are trying to do this to you consistently, you should be consistently out of range and/or consistently murdering them. You just don't often need to be anywhere near where a Junk can pull this off.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
This discussion has been closed.