As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You know when you can't get your lawn mowed because you're working and, when you're not working, it rains?

Then you get a clear day but you look at the lawn and it's so bad you're like "oh no I can't do this."

Yeah........

You could hire a goat - nature's Roomba.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You know when you can't get your lawn mowed because you're working and, when you're not working, it rains?

Then you get a clear day but you look at the lawn and it's so bad you're like "oh no I can't do this."

Yeah........

Been there before. Pattern of rain went so long I eventually got a nasty-gram from the city taped to my door threatening to fine me $1000 or put me in jail for 3 weeks. Seems a little harsh. I just hired a landscaping company to mow each week after that. Let them worry about the rain.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yeah........

Been there before. Pattern of rain went so long I eventually got a nasty-gram from the city taped to my door threatening to fine me $1000 or put me in jail for 3 weeks. Seems a little harsh. I just hired a landscaping company to mow each week after that. Let them worry about the rain.

Probably going to try and hire someone to get it under control. It's not like the lawn is big, but the rain has made it out of control.

In related news, my mower won't start. I weed whacked the front so it looks like hell but less so?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Robot lawn mowers have come a long way in the last few years. If you've got a big enough yard it might be worth it. The equipment rental place up the road from me has one. I see it out there almost every day quietly puttering along keeping the lawn immaculately manicured.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Robot lawn mowers have come a long way in the last few years. If you've got a big enough yard it might be worth it. The equipment rental place up the road from me has one. I see it out there almost every day quietly puttering along keeping the lawn immaculately manicured.

The problem is that they are usually meant to maintain a properly cut lawn - not tame one left to the wilds.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

The problem is that they are usually meant to maintain a properly cut lawn - not tame one left to the wilds.

I thought the problem was that when robots rise up and overthrow us, the lawn mower ones will kill the most in the initial onslaught.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Tame is a relative term. You can get out there with a weed wacker or even a sickle to cut it back than let the robot do the rest.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mowing every week?

Jesus fuck, is your lawn on steroids?

• Options
    I had to last year. We get a ton of rain up here so if I don't mow it every week it looks like it does now. Like a jungle.

• Options
    I had to last year. We get a ton of rain up here so if I don't mow it every week it looks like it does now. Like a jungle.

Something like this:
    https://youtu.be/Lpi4WuSoc94

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mowing every week?

Nah, in New England it gets incredibly shaggy if you let it go more than a week. Rich soil+ample moisture+sun = way too happy grass

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Mowing every week?

Nah, in New England it gets incredibly shaggy if you let it go more than a week. Rich soil+ample moisture+sun = way too happy grass

Yeah even in NY I can barely scrape by on 2 weeks per mow if I crank it to the lowest setting on my mower.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Man two weeks. Early summer like now I go to war twice a week or the garden takes over. Last week i mowed the lawn on friday afternoon and when my mum visited on sunday afternoon she asked if I hadnt had time to mow the lawn :bigfrown:

Lind on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Man two weeks. Early summer like now I go to war twice a week or the garden takes over. Last week i mowed the lawn on friday afternoon and when my mum visited on sunday afternoon she asked if I hadnt had time to mow the lawn :bigfrown:

You should have asked her to stand outside since she likes throwing shade so much. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I can sometimes get away with letting the back yard go two weeks now that I have a fence, but South Louisiana generally requires weekly mowing. My adjacent neighbor does his twice a week because he's not a fan of shaggy grass.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to move to SoCal where people won’t think me a weirdo for eschewing the lawn for hardscaping or xeriscaping

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to move to SoCal where people won’t think me a weirdo for eschewing the lawn for hardscaping or xeriscaping

I don't think I knew either of these words before today, and now I want to employ both on my next lawn...desperately.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We're pretty much every week here in Chicago.

Need to get a new mower, though; batteries are just making it through the backyard and previously could easily do both.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The amount of money I spend each year on paying someone to mow my lawn makes me think I really ought to just buy a nice riding mower. But then I'd still have to find time to actually get out there and do it and that's what got me in trouble in the first place. Stupid lawn.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Meanwhile on the east coast, it's near the end of May and yet nobody's lawn has fully rejuvenated yet. Ours has mostly greened up but it's still a bit patchy in places. Though I just poked my head out the window to look at it, and I guess it looks long enough that it might need a trim in about a week.

We just have a low powered electric mower. It does the job perfectly well enough. But I also learned to never mow wet or damp grass, not unless you want to gum up the blades right quick.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The amount of money I spend each year on paying someone to mow my lawn makes me think I really ought to just buy a nice riding mower. But then I'd still have to find time to actually get out there and do it and that's what got me in trouble in the first place. Stupid lawn.

It's the time, money for the equipment and consumables, storing the equipment, and dealing with the mulch.

Which, now on the third summer, the luster is starting to wear for me. Like some people really dig it, and that's cool. In theory I do too but it's finding the time.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It's the time, money for the equipment and consumables, storing the equipment, and dealing with the mulch.

Which, now on the third summer, the luster is starting to wear for me. Like some people really dig it, and that's cool. In theory I do too but it's finding the time.

I don't mind doing it but yeah, it's the time. When I'm not working I'm with my daughter, and she's a bit too young to leave alone inside while I mow. I'm off on Thursdays alone, but it's been raining every week.

Going to be way worse when she switches to part time preschool in a couple weeks. D:

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think I said this in the last Homeowner thread. I generally value my time at $40/hr at home. It would take me at least an hour to mow my front and back lawns together. I pay my guy $42 per week this year.

Next year I'm planning to recompete bids to keep the price low. Also the guys who mow have now twice cut the lawn too soon after rain and left ruts in the grass. This past time the dirt was still spongy with water(!) and then it rained again the day after.

This is year 7 at this house and I have yet to cut the lawn myself. Worth it.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I think I said this in the last Homeowner thread. I generally value my time at $40/hr at home. It would take me at least an hour to mow my front and back lawns together. I pay my guy $42 per week this year.

Next year I'm planning to recompete bids to keep the price low. Also the guys who mow have now twice cut the lawn too soon after rain and left ruts in the grass. This past time the dirt was still spongy with water(!) and then it rained again the day after.

I charge $40/hr for mowing and gardening here in 'Straya, or $30 for family and friends.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I charge $40/hr for mowing and gardening here in 'Straya, or $30 for family and friends.

Damn. I pay $25 per mow to the service we use. Actually down to $23 since they do the next 2 houses too and a volume discount was negotiated. That covers a crew of 3 that usually end up operating 2 mowers and 1 blower.

• Options
    I mean, I've got a lot of bills and I don't book out nearly as many hours as I'd like to, I still barely manage to cover all my own expenses month to month. My prices are competitive with local competitors, and I definitely care a great deal more about the quality of my work than anybody else whose work I have had to fix or redo in the area.

Protip: Jims Mowing franchisees generally do not give a shit about anything, it would seem.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Can anyone recommend a weed killer for dandelions that have overtaken a yard (i.e. too many to remove by hand over a quarter-acre) while not damaging grass?

Spray, or fertilizer? I was considering https://www.amazon.com/GreenView-Fairway-Fertilizer-Crabgrass-Preventer/dp/B00HVAXKUO?th=1#customerReviews but there's some funny review manipulation going on with these 5star/1star reviews.

Or Scott's is pretty standard https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJM8KMQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=backyardboss-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00XJM8KMQ&linkId=cf89531482291cafc3f763be95a913fa&th=1

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It will take more work but if you get a proper container you can pour boiling water on each plant.

I've never used Scott's so no idea

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    It will take more work but if you get a proper container you can pour boiling water on each plant.

I've never used Scott's so no idea

:biggrin: It's more dandelions than lawn. No go.

Costco had 12k sqft of the Scotts for $50, so I went with that.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So after you treat the lawn, the best way to defeat the dandelions is to turn your grass into a monster:
    Water deeper and infrequently to encourage deep roots
    Let it grow longer, especially in the hottest months - stronger grass and living mulch to keep new dandelion seeds from germinating
    Mow with a sharp blade
    Mow as late in the day as you can - grass loses water when cut, and in the heat of the day the moisture loss is more damaging
    Fertilize when the grass starts growing - early spring and late summer

Decompacting/aerating/thatching needs will vary based on soil and grass type.

A lot of people break at least a few of these best practices and produce real sick grass that gets bullied by weeds

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Water really early in the day too. You want it to absorb and percolate before the sun gets too warm.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Carpy wrote: »
    Water really early in the day too. You want it to absorb and percolate before the sun gets too warm.

Yeah forgot that one

Midday watering evaporates and is no use

Evening/night watering just water logs the lawn

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Does anyone recognize this plant?

Fqb89mal.jpg

I neglected to mark where exactly I planted my seeds so I’m not sure if I’m growing peppers or an extremely healthy weed.

Quid on
  • Options
    Tomato

• Options
    Wait

I thought I planted those on the left

I really should mark these spots

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Damn. I pay $25 per mow to the service we use. Actually down to $23 since they do the next 2 houses too and a volume discount was negotiated. That covers a crew of 3 that usually end up operating 2 mowers and 1 blower.

For what it’s worth in Portland the cheapest deal we could find through a company was like $80 per month, but they came out twice a month, so $40 per visit. And our yard is tiny. For just mowing, edging, and blowing leaves, which is what they would do, it would probably take 30 minutes.

Ended up going with a more full service gardener for $120/month.

We’re now on our third gardener because the last two were dicks and not good at their job. One pulled up several plants that we planted because they apparently thought they were weeds? But they refused to acknowledge they fucked up or give us any kind of money back. Good gardeners are hard to find.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Google Lens says that plant is lycopersicon, a common tomato plant. Should probably give it something to grow on now, heh

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also, my house is under contract now!!

Once the floors are in and a little painting is done, it'll be basically ready to close. Goodbye house!

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also, my house is under contract now!!

Once the floors are in and a little painting is done, it'll be basically ready to close. Goodbye house!

Yeah, but now that the floors are redone, the walls are repainted, and everything is clean, the house is actually pretty nice. Are you sure you don’t want to just stay in your newly refurbished house?

• Options
    Wait where the fuck are my peppers

This discussion has been closed.