As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I use these nifty 2 piece connectors at work.

a37sht8dtb0v.png

It makes it real easy to line everything up and check that you have all the cables in the right order before you permanently crimp things together. I've used the ones where you push the wires all the way through too but I like the 2 piece ones better because you can use a standard pair of crimpers and I find it easier to line up the holes on the shim.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Also that there's just a lot of satisfaction in working with your hands.

That's what really got me into 3D printing and dabbling with custom-made/programmed IoT devices. I'm making something tangible!

I'm actually working on a presentation about maker culture for work.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    my dad used to make me crimp network cables for our home network, I think I must have been bad at it because it always seemed like those cables had signal degradation issues.

I hate crimping network cables. I'll do punch downs for plugs all day long but cables are a pain in the ass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think there's a skill in teaching kids early on to think in an engineering capacity. Like, these objects aren't all magical artifacts that inexplicably do the things they do, they can all be broken down into components that you can understand, and you should always wonder HOW things work.

Also that there's just a lot of satisfaction in working with your hands.

Also, get up in the attic and run some cat5 for dad, we gotta get the new room wired up. You're young and the fiberglass insulation won't bother you as much.

As a mechanical engineer, I agree. I got in trouble as a kid for looking into a toilet to see how it works and subsequently breaking the lid I took off.

It also forces you to think, "what failures could cause what I'm seeing?" which is basically what I do at work every week. It's also why I sometimes hate software because the answer in that case is sometimes just a shrug and a restart.

Learning how and why things work is the first step in fixing things yourself. Then you get to bitch about the company cutting corners to increase profit and now you're losing a weekend and on a first name basis with half the staff at Home Depot.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh look. . .

There's an option to make myself an admin when I need to.

That'll do.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Yeah, fuck cable crimping

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Yay were finally switching to subscription O365 instead of VL model.

*happy sccm noises*

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I don't know why I get so much joy from showing people that you can turn anything into a PDF.

I get a little sad, too, because PDF printers have been around for as long as I've been in IT (15+ years).

But holy shit the joy on everyone's face when they realize they can make any goddamned thing on their computer into a PDF. Worth it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    early gen pdf printers were garbage before the microsoft and chrome ones came standard

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    early gen pdf printers were garbage before the microsoft and chrome ones came standard

DoroPDF has been fine for years

I don't remember PDF printing being a sore spot for at least 10 years

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Yay were finally switching to subscription O365 instead of VL model.

*happy sccm noises*

My condolences

edited May 2019
    CutePDF worked flawlessly for as long as I can remember, as well.

OpenOffice also let you export to PDF long before Microsoft Office did.

Thawmus on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Guys. We have a print server set up that when you print to it it emails you a pdf of what you printed. I had a user who requested to have that printer installed on a computer and when I tried to explain to her that she could just print to a pdf she said "I can't use that" because if it wasn't in her email she couldn't find it.

My current hate is WebEx

The area in the portal to add additional licenses doesn't have the option to do so described in the documentation

Their sales support is not available 5pm eastern time. (WTF, you're a multinational corporation).

The chatbot helpfully opened a trouble ticket for me which I cannot see because every time I go to the ticket portal, the connection times out

Also, there are four different websites to administer our WebEx Enterprise account and each one has overlapping but slightly different options

Also Cisco's SAML/SSO migration is full of wasps and logging in fails half the time.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Yeah, fuck cable crimping

I dunno I'll crimp Cat 5 all day long.

Cat 6 is a blistering bitch of a cable to work with.

I can't even imagine Cat 7.

ofr2880iggvw.png

If you're running a trunk line, then use a punch down jack.

If you're doing patch cables, whathefuckareyoudoing just buy patch cables in bulk.

bowen wrote: »

DoroPDF has been fine for years

I don't remember PDF printing being a sore spot for at least 10 years

Yeah I know, I said since chrome showed up! (just a little over 10 years)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I take a look at technology and go "yeah that came out a few years ago" and then really think about it and go "holy shit that is almost old enough to drive"

According to one of the four WebEx portals, our total monthly subscription fee is undefinedNaN.

I also love how I can have a Cisco website open and logged in in one tab, then open a second tab to the same Cisco subdomain, and it'll ask me to log in again

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Murphy's law has been invoked.

the guy who runs our networking is gone on holidays for 3 weeks, and I'm his backup for it. Now, the only time I ever touch our networking is while he's on holidays, so like, once, maybe twice a year. so I have to re-learn everything every time just because I almost never look at it.

so of course I'm asked to make some firewall changes before 9am on the first day he's gone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Cable crimping....

Had a client once who was installing new video cameras, close to 50 in total. We got all of the new cameras mounted and when we went to connect them we found that all of the drops were crimped with 4 wires, the other 4 were cut off. This was done on both ends of the runs as their old analog cameras didn't need the other wires. I ended up having to go around to 50 locations in the building and re-crimp all of the ends, then do the same in the network closet, what a pain in the ass.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Applications coded in flash need to be thrown into a dumpster. Companies still selling applications coded in flash need to be thrown out with them.

edited May 2019
    I just found an entire exchange mailbox whose sole function was to forward mail sent to that email address to another mailbox.

EDIT: upon investigation this is because they want email address x@b.c to have one auto reply, but email address y@b.c to have a different auto reply, but they want mail from both x@b.c and y@b.c to be in one mailbox so x forwards to y.

So. dumb. But not worth fighting over.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I have a co-worker named John. When he goes on vacation, John's Law goes into effect and we have to scramble to get field support on a short turnaround. In the 15 years I've worked with him, there's been maybe 6 times that John's Law did not take effect.

Mugsley on
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Murphy's law has been invoked.

the guy who runs our networking is gone on holidays for 3 weeks, and I'm his backup for it. Now, the only time I ever touch our networking is while he's on holidays, so like, once, maybe twice a year. so I have to re-learn everything every time just because I almost never look at it.

so of course I'm asked to make some firewall changes before 9am on the first day he's gone.

I would respond with "Sorry this is going to have to wait until (x) is back from vacation, I'm covering in case of emergencies"

I just heard a helpdesk tech ask,

"Are you using a laptop or a computer?"

*rolls up newspaper*

so looking at options for expanding storage on an existing VM host, and TIL that apparently on some server raid controllers you can live migrate from a RAID-1 to a RAID-5 array with zero down time. Has anyone here ever actually done this?

I am 100% not doing this on a box with prod data on it but I'm super interested in it. I'm going to migrate the VM's to other hosts on the weekend and try it.

so looking at options for expanding storage on an existing VM host, and TIL that apparently on some server raid controllers you can live migrate from a RAID-1 to a RAID-5 array with zero down time. Has anyone here ever actually done this?

I am 100% not doing this on a box with prod data on it but I'm super interested in it. I'm going to migrate the VM's to other hosts on the weekend and try it.

Yeah, I've done it on Dell PERC. It worked.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

I believe that it could work, but personally I wouldn’t try it. Especially getting every moving piece in the chain to play nice with the expansion of the storage. Honestly though, ESX is pretty easy to rebuild from scratch (especially if you don’t have weird networking or shared storage), so I guess you could give it a shot? Take good screenshots/backup config files for the host first.

A few things:

1. If others are on vacation I don't even take calls. Seriously. I change my availability status and everything and if you want to call me it better be a fire. This used to get pushback until one year I was stuck on the phone troubleshooting a $5 email account for nearly an hour (which is yet another example of why I'm so done with email hosting). This caused me to miss a big fucking problem and it made the problem worse, and I got a talking to for it. Except I was pissed, so I did all the talking, and now I call my own shots when I'm the Lone Ranger.

2. I have become aware that somebody, somewhere, thought you could maybe use an ethernet jellybean to connect a cut fiber line.

Thawmus wrote: »
    A few things:

1. If others are on vacation I don't even take calls. Seriously. I change my availability status and everything and if you want to call me it better be a fire. This used to get pushback until one year I was stuck on the phone troubleshooting a $5 email account for nearly an hour (which is yet another example of why I'm so done with email hosting). This caused me to miss a big fucking problem and it made the problem worse, and I got a talking to for it. Except I was pissed, so I did all the talking, and now I call my own shots when I'm the Lone Ranger.

2. I have become aware that somebody, somewhere, thought you could maybe use an ethernet jellybean to connect a cut fiber line.

What are ethernet jellybeans? These things? https://www.cableorganizer.com/platinum-tools/telcom-splicing-connectors-and-tool.html?gcssku=PL-18111&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIleSR3q6t1wIVBkwNCh2P6AvHEAQYByABEgIgfvD_BwE

LD50 wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    A few things:

What are ethernet jellybeans? These things? https://www.cableorganizer.com/platinum-tools/telcom-splicing-connectors-and-tool.html?gcssku=PL-18111&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIleSR3q6t1wIVBkwNCh2P6AvHEAQYByABEgIgfvD_BwE

Yeah, that's one. There's other kinds that have you put Cat5 ends on, and then plug into it.

I've used a lot of different kinds over the years, because sometimes a farmer cuts one of your lines and you don't have a tower climber available to re-run the line that day, so....*barf*

It's only ever temporary, though. I never let those fuckers live longer than a week at best. I've seen shit toggle to 10-Half with those in play.

Okay, Linux people:

I'm using Putty, on a Windows PC, to SSH into a Linux appliance. (It's running PhotonOS but I don't think the distro matters; pretend it's CentOS if it makes you happy.)

I'm using Nano to edit a bash script.

I'm copying long text strings and pasting them in. Whenever I paste, either Nano or Putty adds line breaks for word wrap. I can't tell which is causing this behavior.

How do I stop it?

Okay, Linux people:

I'm using Putty, on a Windows PC, to SSH into a Linux appliance. (It's running PhotonOS but I don't think the distro matters; pretend it's CentOS if it makes you happy.)

I'm using Nano to edit a bash script.

I'm copying long text strings and pasting them in. Whenever I paste, either Nano or Putty adds line breaks for word wrap. I can't tell which is causing this behavior.

How do I stop it?

Nano does weird softwrap stuff and I hate it. You can turn on hardwrap by Esc + L (hit Esc, then hit L, don't hit them simultaneously), and this is how I prefer it when I'm forced to use it.

I vastly prefer vim because as confusing as it can be, nano just does goofier shit.

I'll also mention that I have absolutely seen an SSH session turn my input into shit before. It's extremely rare but it's happened more than once to me.

I don't think I've ever had nano do the line wrap stuff but I also don't post huge long strings of text either so it might.

I run into this stuff mostly when I'm fiddling with ssh keys, deleting old known hosts and such.

Someday it'll properly replace a known host in my known hosts file when I replace a server.

Someday.

ESC-L did the trick. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.