As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

JedocJedoc In the scupperswith the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
This is the thread where we talk about all the most advanced technology available.

Levers!
ak8w268r2r86.png

Inclined planes!
0vjx0tei4pep.png

Pulleys!
o3fcgxfkh7jj.png

Wedges!
16524xe12hr9.png

Wheels and axles!
52zb3v2amot8.png

Screws!
xoj8lq47fj4g.png

Also smart phones and routers and rocket ships and I guess whatever you kids are into these days.

GDdCWMm.jpg

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a computer is basically an overly complicated application of a lever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The internet is a hive consciousness

In this ted talk I...

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Inclined planes!
    0vjx0tei4pep.png
    Point of order, from the block's perspective that's a declined plane.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nobody cares what a fucking block thinks. Overruled.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So there should be new AMD stuff soon, right? I'm having enough problems with my old desktop that I'm thinking of putting together a new one, but if new stuff is on the horizon I should probably wait.

Also, look for a new tablet I guess. Huawei was probably not the best choice, in hindsight.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So there should be new AMD stuff soon, right? I'm having enough problems with my old desktop that I'm thinking of putting together a new one, but if new stuff is on the horizon I should probably wait.

Also, look for a new tablet I guess. Huawei was probably not the best choice, in hindsight.

Yeah, they're coming soon. The major rumor right now is that they'll be announced at Computex exactly one week from today, and be available by June 11.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Well we know who will be first against the wall when the block revolution comes.

I, for one, welcome our new block overlords. I'd like to remind them that I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground humanchain mines.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Well we know who will be first against the wall when the block revolution comes.

I, for one, welcome our new block overlords. I'd like to remind them that I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground humanchain mines.

That took me a second. Well done.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I my local tech news, I'm making a payment this week and my Note 8 will be all mine.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

okay this is pretty impressive

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Guess who was accidentally storing passwords in plaintext this time?
    However, we recently notified a subset of our enterprise G Suite customers that some passwords were stored in our encrypted internal systems unhashed.
    We made an error when implementing this functionality back in 2005.
    In addition, as we were troubleshooting new G Suite customer sign-up flows, we discovered that starting in January 2019 we had inadvertently stored a subset of unhashed passwords in our secure encrypted infrastructure.

At this point it feels like I may as well write the things on a postit note and be done with it.

(very tenuously serious thought -- as long as all my passwords look like phone numbers I reckon I could actually do this, and nobody would spot them. "Bank-555-867-5309" would probably pass most tests for length/characters/symbols/numbers, and doesn't "feel like a password" if someone saw it written down.)

This is the thread where we talk about all the most advanced technology available.
    Also smart phones and routers and rocket ships and I guess whatever you kids are into these days.

Five Hundred And Seven Mechanical Movements.

So many pulleys and levers and gears and whatnot. A bunch of them even animate, like this one (only animates on the original page; the static version is)

mm_419.png
    419. Continuous circular motion converted into a rocking motion. Used in self-rocking cradles. Wheel, A, revolves, and is connected to a wheel, B, of greater radius, which receives an oscillating motion, and wheel, B, is provided with two flexible bands, C, D, which connect each to a standard or post attached to the rocker, E, of the cradle.

Some of them are pretty ingenious:
    mm_415.png
    415. P. Dickson’s patent device for converting an oscillating motion into intermittent circular, in either direction. Oscillating motion communicated to lever, A, which is provided with two pawls, B and C, hinged to its upper side, near shaft of wheel, D. Small crank, E, on upper side of lever, A, is attached by cord to each of pawls, so that when pawl, C, is let into contact with interior of rim of wheel, D, it moves in one direction, and pawl, B, is out of gear. Motion of wheel, D, may be reversed by lifting pawl, C, which was in gear, and letting opposite one into gear by crank, E

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Huh, I totally assumed that Rubik's Cube thing was CG animated, that's really cool.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

All we have to do is trick them into getting in line formation and they'll disappear

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i would need to see more than just a gif to have A Take, but on it's face that's really cool and really scary

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh so like "deepfakes" but...way way easier and applicable to more people. I'm just gonna go read pattern recognition again...

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Don't know what's going on with that tweet, I'm pretty sure I saw a video of Austin Walker saying he was super cool with this latest development.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    The original video (skip to 4:18 if it doesn't work)

https://youtu.be/p1b5aiTrGzY?t=264

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So if that's the future of fakes

when do we start a black hole in Peru and drop it into the Earth?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Ok I gotta throw in some hot takes.

Levers!
    ak8w268r2r86.png

Inclined planes!
    0vjx0tei4pep.png

Pulleys!
    o3fcgxfkh7jj.png

Wedges!
    16524xe12hr9.png

Wheels and axles!
    52zb3v2amot8.png

Screws!
    xoj8lq47fj4g.png

These aren't inclined planes.

Secondly
    Inclined planes!
    0vjx0tei4pep.png
    Point of order, from the block's perspective that's a declined plane.

You don't know the blocks perspective, it may be declined but it could be an inclined plane or it might not clined at all.

Blake T on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wedge Antilles totally inclines his plane!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

in more serious news

yeah I wonder how often this happens with services like this

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I bet it's a lot.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hey Tech thread

where do the cool* kids go these days to buy computer hardware? A friend of mine claims newegg is no longer the best place for some reason or another.

*poor

I'd like to put together a somewhat decent PC for light gaming and CAD work. Preferably in the $750 range but what I priced out on newegg was just shy of $900 so that's as may be.

edit: I already have monitors and kbam and fans

Xaquin on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I do my research on Newegg, then I look up the exact model numbers on cheaper outlets like Amazon. The reason being I'm a Prime member so I get free shipping, whereas free shipping from Newegg is a members-only thing that I didn't want to pay for.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I don't really trust buying stuff off Newegg, reason being that every time I've bought something from them in the past decade it turned out they had a data breach like a week later.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I don't really trust buying stuff off Newegg, reason being that every time I've bought something from them in the past decade it turned out they had a data breach like a week later.

So what you're saying is that it's your fault

Maddoc wrote: »

what are you a cop

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

what are you a cop

He asked so you have to tell the truth. It's the law.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    I no joke asked a professor out loud in a class this semester, when asked if I had gone into an off-limits part of a park, "what are you a cop"

entire class laughs, best moment of the semester

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Seeing some stuff on Twitter (well Reddit I don't Twitter) that Huawei was forcibly removed/stepped down from several organizations pertaining to SD cards, USB standards, and WiFi. This effectively kills them outside of just blatant ignoring this inside of China right?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Decided what to do with (part of) my bonus from work.

My Oculus Quest arrives Tuesday.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Holy shit it’s a single lane car tunnel

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That is also still astonishingly unsafe because of it's size

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm shocked, shocked that Hyperloop turned out to be a bunch of bullshit. Who could have ever predicted this?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    A single lane car tunnel 🚗

This discussion has been closed.