As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    A single lane car tunnel 🚗

===================================================
    🚗 HYPERLOOOOOOOOOP
    ===================================================

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    God I hate Musk. Just keeps shilling snake oil to folks desperate for a technocapitalist messiah. It's amazing the fan worship that man still commands.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    look tube it's simple, ok, and it works?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Let this be a lesson to anyone who still believes in his promise of full self-driving capability in *checks notes* 7 months.

Orca wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson to anyone who still believes in his promise of full self-driving capability in *checks notes* 7 months.

1vzuXls.jpg

Text:
    Consumer Reports, one of the most respected consumer product reviewers out there, has issued a new review of Tesla's most recent Autopilot system update and it isn't good, to say the least.

Consumer Reports Pans Tesla's Autopilot Update
    Consumer Reports (CR) recently reviewed Tesla's newest Autopilot update and found the automatic lane changed to be badly executed and sometimes even dangerous, casting some shadow over Elon Musk's recent claim that Tesla would have a fully self-driving car by the end of the year.

CR begins its review by saying that Tesla "says it’s an attempt to make driving 'more seamless.' But Consumer Reports observed the opposite in its own tests of the feature, finding that it doesn’t work very well and could create potential safety risks for drivers.

According to CR, the new Autopilot didn't leave enough room for approaching cars when it changed lanes and would regularly brake with no warning after merging into congested traffic trying to create more space between it and the vehicle in front of it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    God I hate Musk. Just keeps shilling snake oil to folks desperate for a technocapitalist messiah. It's amazing the fan worship that man still commands.

The thing is that he isn't completely full of shit. Space X is doing amazing work with re-usable rockets far ahead of anyone else, to the point that people didn't even think it would be feasible, and without Tesla the other big auto makers wouldn't be pushing for electrification as hard either.

The big issues are he talks out of his own ass, it's his employees who bring his vision to life, and that he treats those same employees like absolute shit. Its like dude, you have some cool ideas, and the personal capital to attempt to bring them to life, but goddamn does he need to stay the fuck away from actually running a company.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    beep beep I'm in the hyperloop beep beep its a single lane car tunnel

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Musk is a piece of shit and any good he's done is purely incidental to his primary business of building a monument to his own ego

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The thing is that he isn't completely full of shit. Space X is doing amazing work with re-usable rockets far ahead of anyone else, to the point that people didn't even think it would be feasible, and without Tesla the other big auto makers wouldn't be pushing for electrification as hard either.

The big issues are he talks out of his own ass, it's his employees who bring his vision to life, and that he treats those same employees like absolute shit. Its like dude, you have some cool ideas, and the personal capital to attempt to bring them to life, but goddamn does he need to stay the fuck away from actually running a company.

So he is completely full of shit then, because he's not the one actually bringing this tech to existence and I'm not about to give him the credit for doing so. In the meanwhile he's pulling stunts that just damage needed changes like autonomous driving. There's also the parts where he lets his big mouth write checks that Tesla then has to cash, besmirching a name that isn't his. That probably irks me the most, how a modern day Edison is fucking with Tesla once more and his head is too fat to see the irony of claiming said name.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tesla's solutions to public transit all, even under the assumption that any of them would work (they won't), involve owning one of their cars.

There's some merit in raising the profile of the electric car, but in the long term it's not a solution to anything.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    What do people recommend for a good 2FA app? Finally getting around to upping my security.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I will say one positive thing about Elon Musk: he has wasted a colossal amount of his own money and vc money on building solar + storage at a loss because he thought he could... I'm not clear. Push everyone else out of business? It didn't work but jeez was it cheap.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Tesla's solutions to public transit all, even under the assumption that any of them would work (they won't), involve owning one of their cars.

There's some merit in raising the profile of the electric car, but in the long term it's not a solution to anything.

EVs are a solution to transport-sector emissions (so long as upstream electricity is renewable: big assumption here) not transit. There's a guy Tony Seba who pushes the whole idea of self-driving EVs solving all our transit needs through basically Uber/Lyft with self-driving vehicles getting us everywhere we need and like, I dunno my dude

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Elon Musk did some good, important things and then annihilated his good will through a series of blunders and a lack of respect for his workers.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    What do people recommend for a good 2FA app? Finally getting around to upping my security.

I think Google Authenticator is the leader in the space. There's also Authy which has a different multiple-device (unless deactivated) approach. I'm not sure how I feel about the multiple device approach of Authy because that sort-of (?) defeats the purpose of a unique token on a device being part of the authentication tripod: only something you know (password), only something you are (biometric), only something you would have (token generator/device).

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Guys the power went out at my house and the UPS backup I got worked just like it's supposed to and I'm oddly pumped about that.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So i was getting a second of those color Phillips Hue bulbs to put in my overhead light for the wakeup sunrise thing and said screw it, and also got the two pack of Hue lights that can go behind the TV/Monitor.

I got them on my PC right now and was watching various movie segments to test them out.

Yo. Lightsaber fights are fucking rad with these lights.

Still debating if I should actually mount them to the back of the monitor with the tape or leave them on their little stands on the desk.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    While we're talking about Musk. Now he has also pissed off the astronomers

https://forbes.com/sites/jonathanocallaghan/2019/05/27/spacexs-starlink-could-change-the-night-sky-forever-and-astronomers-are-not-happy/

And while Musk is saying that they'll only be visible around dawn and dusk, some hobby astronomers have already captured them around midnight

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So i was getting a second of those color Phillips Hue bulbs to put in my overhead light for the wakeup sunrise thing and said screw it, and also got the two pack of Hue lights that can go behind the TV/Monitor.

I got them on my PC right now and was watching various movie segments to test them out.

Still debating if I should actually mount them to the back of the monitor with the tape or leave them on their little stands on the desk.

Are these bulbs that like sync to your tv?

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    based in the laffs that I have experienced in this thread in the last five minutes, I hereby move to require that Tube reply to all questions requesting an explanation of something arcane in the forums with “a single lane car tunnel.”

Does anyone second?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is satellite internet good now? Cause I had it once and dropped it for dialup

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Are these bulbs that like sync to your tv?

They are phillips hue lamps you put/mount behind your tv.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Xaquin wrote: »
    Is satellite internet good now? Cause I had it once and dropped it for dialup

It's way better than dialup. I have 12mb down and 3 up, and the connection is good enough to stream netflix at DVD quality or watch youtube and shit. It still sucks compared to actual terrestrial broadband though. Plus my ping is around a second.

12 MB down and 3 MB up is probably better than my broadband internet in the sticks but it's also very cheap and I am given to understand satellite is very expensive for what you get, since their customer base is people in places with no other options for internet service.

BahamutZERO.gif
    12 MB down and 3 MB up is probably better than my broadband internet in the sticks but it's also very cheap and I am given to understand satellite is very expensive for what you get, since their customer base is people in places with no other options for internet service.

Yea. I pay $120/month with a 150GB cap, and thats a grandfathered plan. They don't offer one that good anymore.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    gat DAMN

That's what you get when the access to the internet isn't treated like a utility!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ah good iridium flares are back just as the new iridium constellation finally fixed the problem.

Except also it’s way way more satellites this time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    When sattelite internet is as good as fiber you'll never catch me living near civilization again.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    why do satellite connections have long pings, is it just because they orbit so far away that there's ~1 second of radio delay?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's like a quarter second every time you go to the satellite with current systems just in raw speed of light delay since they use geosynchronous orbits.

the new LEO based systems people are trying to make have significantly less distance to go, i believe it's <15ms of radio delay.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    EDIT: Think I'll get the blackberry classic instead.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    why do satellite connections have long pings, is it just because they orbit so far away that there's ~1 second of radio delay?

This. Geo stationary is really far out, but you just need one or two satellites to cover a hemisphere. I go through Excede and they are starting to run into congestion issues with their system.

iewP52u.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aqI7EnfbVM

Take your creativity and productivity to the next level with the groundbreaking ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo. Designed to give you the ultimate edge in workflow efficiency, the unique design features a full-width 4K ASUS ScreenPad™ Plus that works seamlessly with the main 4K UHD OLED display.
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/4119129614/the-asus-zenbook-pro-duo-features-a-secondary-4k-touch-display

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm not the biggest fan of the laptops with the keyboard at the lower edge. Mainly, I don't use my laptop at a table. It's either in bed or in a chair without a table.

yeah I like my work macbook pro, which has a solid 4-5 inches of space for your palms to rest

3ag1zUr.jpg

moving the keyboard down and a screen into that space seems... less than ideal from a usability perspective

I want to say the second screen gimmick will never take off but then the nintendo DS did happen so what the fuck do I know

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    True, but the DS was a new handheld release from Nintendo that was going to sell even if they included live fire ants in the box.

When people have two laptops to buy and one of them is $500 cheaper and only has one screen but all other things are equal, the single screen laptop is going to sell.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited May 2019
    I could mayyybe see people who want a drawing tablet machine going for this? that's how they're advertising the second screen at least

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.