As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I just realized I have to change my ship address on the kickstarter as I just moved beginning of May.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I just realized I have to change my ship address on the kickstarter as I just moved beginning of May.

Yeah, I had to do the same. Update reminded me to check and it was still set to my old address. Glad they mentioned it :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Oh god they're bitching about the steel case of all things? I thought that was a totally reasonable price for that - those things probably aren't cheap to make. I'm still debating if I wanna try and get one of those myself when they put them up, but 800 available is a super low number too...

From what I can tell, the main complaint is that originally the steel case was a $60 reward but now it’s free if you pre-purchase from Best Buy. Seems like a fair complaint if true, although unsurprising given the length of the KS and the risks of backing early.

Backers at $60 get a cardboard slipcase. People who get the game at Best Buy for $40 get the steel case.

[edit] Only 800 backers will have the opportunity to purchase a steel case separately for $15.

That's kinda shitty but backers need to realize when you toss money at a Kickstarter, you aren't buying a product, you're funding someone's project. That you get anything in return is a not-guaranteed incentive.

Yep, that's the attitude I adopted when I contributed to this one. I'm glad it's almost done and I was well aware of other games funded via kickstarter that had a retail price lower than what backers paid. I can't get mad about this. I just hope I end up liking the game.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Kickstarter should never be treated like a preorder system. I’ve seen some entitled backers act that way. There are no guarantees. I only back if I believe in the project and want to see it released. Expectations are kept in check.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Here's a short preorder trailer for the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7587f5IATc

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Weird to put the pre-order screen in the middle of the trailer for 2 seconds and then keep showing more footage.

I also really hope that those attack sounds can be turned off, otherwise the V/O or Sound effects volume slider is going to be at 5-6% throughout the entire run lol.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man whatever to how much people are getting all upity about the non game aspects of a game.

I am so happy this is about to be out and am looking forward to it so much. I think it turned out very well, and really don't think anything was wrong at all with the whole development process. Kickstarter projects aren't AAA company game development. They are trying to learn how to just get something out. That involves a lot of non game design shit, so most get screwed by that then just shit something out that at least says they fulfilled their promise.

It has been a while for Bloodstained, but we were never left in the dark and even got a small game to tide us over. Now it is here, and I still think it looks amazing for something that could very well have never existed.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat the original Castlevania on the Anniversary Collection last night, heavily abusing save states and Holy Water stunlocking.

I'm amazed that anyone ever beat this legitimately; the timing and positioning you need to dodge or deflect Dracula's fireballs is insanely precise. Old-school gamers must have needed lots of practice.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Beat the original Castlevania on the Anniversary Collection last night, heavily abusing save states and Holy Water stunlocking.

I'm amazed that anyone ever beat this legitimately; the timing and positioning you need to dodge or deflect Dracula's fireballs is insanely precise. Old-school gamers must have needed lots of practice.

When you're 12 and only get one new game to play for weeks/months at a time, you tend to get pretty good at stuff like getting the holy water at the beginning of stage 5 and carrying it all the way to the Grim Reaper at the end of the level.

And, of course, learning the timing for Dracula's fireballs. After my first few times fighting him, I thought he was invincible to normal attacks. Maybe there was just some sort of trick and I had to distract him until time ran out? So I spent a good amount of time trying to hit his fireballs as he appeared. The first time I had to turn off my NES after giving up on him was pretty annoying.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The lack of saves / password is why I never beat CV1 as a kid and always thought it was the hardest. With 3 I could use a Pw and pick right back up where I left off. Beat CV1 with the use of save states recently.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    The lack of saves / password is why I never beat CV1 as a kid and always thought it was the hardest. With 3 I could use a Pw and pick right back up where I left off. Beat CV1 with the use of save states recently.

Which is funny, because the Japanese version of CV1 had a save feature.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Hold on, hold on, hold on.

The first level music in Kid Dracula is a peppy, major key version of "Beginning" from Castlevania III!?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It was bad game design to fill that hallway before the Grim Reaper with Medusa heads. Less is more.

emnmnme wrote: »
    It was bad game design to fill that hallway before the Grim Reaper with Medusa heads. Less is more.

It was memorable game design. :D

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've been playing CV4 lately because I shamefully never played it on the SNES back in the day. So I have to ask, is the jumping in the game finicky or is it a ROM thing? Not the lack of air control, I get that, but actually getting Simon to jump after you press the button. I'm noticing a delay for some of the precision jumps and getting a lot of deaths because of it.

Basically, area 4-1 (with the pits and green flipping platforms) has been a nightmare. Like simple jumps onto these green platforms are insta-deaths. I've found the best method is to rapidly mash the jump button in mid-air between platforms. Has anyone else had this problem?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I've had Xbox 360 SOTN from my free games on gold for a while. Decided to give it a go

Is there a modern version that adds basic features like a map marker or a way to skip that stupid game over screen because I am at my fucking limit with this shit.

I have an Xbone and a switch

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There are no games I've ever heard of that let you skip the Game Over screen short of modding. So... no.

There are no games I've ever heard of that let you skip the Game Over screen short of modding. So... no.

Oh well I'm done then

Not to sound like an asshole, but I actually had to look up the game over screen because I never died in SotN back when. It always seemed like it didn't present too much of a challenge.

Map markers would be nice though.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Oh well I'm done then

Game Over

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't recall the Game Over screen being particularly obnoxious.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Now please don't take this the wrong way, but there's no way to say this without sounding somewhat snarky:

The best way to skip the Game Over screen is to not let yourself hit zero HP. And SotN is one of those games where grinding out an extra level or two here or there does wonders for your survivability. Plusses to your raw health pool in addition to increases to your defense stat mean a BUNCH. Also, Dark Metamorphosis is a good way to keep your health topped off, and if shit's REALLY hitting the fan, Soul Steal.

Seriously. Soul Steal. Use it. It is Some Bullshit.

Henroid wrote: »

It's unskipable and it kills my momentum. I dont mind losing a bit of progress but sitting through that and not being able to reload right away is annoying.

I've been playing CV4 lately because I shamefully never played it on the SNES back in the day. So I have to ask, is the jumping in the game finicky or is it a ROM thing? Not the lack of air control, I get that, but actually getting Simon to jump after you press the button. I'm noticing a delay for some of the precision jumps and getting a lot of deaths because of it.

Basically, area 4-1 (with the pits and green flipping platforms) has been a nightmare. Like simple jumps onto these green platforms are insta-deaths. I've found the best method is to rapidly mash the jump button in mid-air between platforms. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, the jumping for certain parts (like those flipping platforms) is a bit weird. It's made worse due to input lag in emulation these days, though. I will say that if you time it just right, you can jump immediately upon touching the ground. It allows you to avoid Simon's recovery frames when you fall a little too far and he ducks when he hits the ground. That's what killed me a lot on one of those flipping platforms, and that was when I was playing on actual hardware.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

It uh, actually is a SUPER long Game Over sequence when added to the menus. Possibly top 5 worst on the PSX load times at least.

However, most people don't remember how bad it is because... uh the game isn't that hard. For the most part, a couple bosses could be game over repeats.

Yeah, the average player probably runs into Game Overs in SotN more during the first quarter of the game, when you're weaker. Once you get some good equipment and levels, dying gets pretty rare.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    emnmnme wrote: »

Oh well I'm done then

Game Over

Gotta do it right.

tenor.gif?itemid=13971358

Now see that, King Riptor? You're not going to let him win, are you?
    Yeah, I totally would, too. Raul Julia's Bison was the best.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I have a billion bison bucks ! He was just giving them away!

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I've been working my way through the GBA games recently. Circle of the Moon soured on me somewhat; it seemed to have a LOT of filler weapon combos and it was a real slog exploring the castle at times, though I generally really liked the bosses. Harmony of Dissonance has been a better experience so far; I'm liking the castle layout, enemies, and more basic weapon upgrade system, although the bosses have been a bit ho-hum. I just hit
    the reveal of the second castle
    so I guess I know exactly where this game's head is at :wink:

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You could always *gasp* emulate SotN, using fast-forward or even save states to deal with the game over screen. You did already pay for it at least in a way.

HoD is like a warm-up at best for Aria of Sorrow, so you ain't seen nothing yet.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    HoD is like a warm-up at best for Aria of Sorrow, so you ain't seen nothing yet.

Everything I've read has indicated that Aria is the best of the bunch so I look forward to getting there.

I just started to encounter Harpies in Harmony. Yikes, that's some rough going. But I also just defeated a knight who gave me a ton of defensive armor so I'm sitting pretty.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I hate when in-game content is made pre-order exclusive, and I have no sympathy for people who lost their bragging rights when a pre-order perk became publicly available the way it should have been to begin with. Who cares, you still got what you paid for, and now other people can enjoy it too.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    There's a version of SoTN without map markers?

I know the original and PS3 have them

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I just played through Dawn of Sorrow again, and damn if the Game Over process isn't annoying as all heck in that one, too.

From death to the GO screen, it kicks you right out to the company name splash screens, which is an extra 5-10 seconds before getting to the title screen where you can reload. I think it has to be a mandated Konami thing at this point.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LozO3fgnup0

This makes me want to jump on it. I'll probably pick it up on the Switch sooner or later and do some run-throughs.

KoopahTroopah on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah I'm glad they set the record straight.

The TLDW is that there is an issue with sound emulation in Castlevania 1 only. Everything else runs pretty much flawless, including the original garbage performance of The Adventure emulated accurately. Rev 0 for Castlevania 1 was also a poor ROM choice, but hopefully the coming Japanese ROMs let us get around this.

The lack of button mapping and a "sharp" bilinear filter for scaled modes are notable omissions, but not a problem of emulation.

rahkeesh2000 on
    How does every game ever not have button mapping?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    How does every game ever not have button mapping?

I know I read a thing somewhere, maybe it was one of those Iwata Asks or something, where someone mentioned a philosophy of the button choices being a "design" aspect of the game (or something along those lines.. i.e. "we chose these buttons specifically"). So basically developers not trusting gamers or not understanding why anyone would *want* to change them (or I'm sure a lot of it is laziness/not thinking to add it as a feature)

TBH it seems to be a weird Japanese thing more than anything. It seems like Western developers almost always add button mapping options.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    It’s like those burger places that won’t serve ketchup to their customers because fuck you we’re not letting you ruin our food with ketchup.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --