As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Maybe this is a good time to ask this, since we're kind of talking about it. Need some help.

My current storage drive is getting low on space since I've turned my PC into a plex-server on the side and the media is starting to get big (it's currently 1 TB in total size). What I'd like to do is just go out and grab some multi-TB drive, stick it in there, and then make Windows think the old storage drive and new one are just one big drive so I don't have to worry about where stuff is. Preferably without losing the data on the current drive because I have nowhere to really back it up. Is this even feasible?

Alternatively, should I be looking at a small NAS to run plex off of instead or something? My PC has been running it fine, but if there's a better way to do this that doesn't break my bank, I'm all ears.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    What are you guys keeping on these drives? I have a 1TB drive that is half filled and thinking about it makes me want to go clean something.

Am I neurotic? Or are you guys the digital equivalent of hoarders?

256 gb for my OS + programs like visual studio
    600 gb for my vidya games (raid 0)
    1TB for things like google drive/pdfs/movies/long term storage of steam games I don't play often (move back and forth)/backups
    4TB external drive for more backups

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Maybe this is a good time to ask this, since we're kind of talking about it. Need some help.

My current storage drive is getting low on space since I've turned my PC into a plex-server on the side and the media is starting to get big (it's currently 1 TB in total size). What I'd like to do is just go out and grab some multi-TB drive, stick it in there, and then make Windows think the old storage drive and new one are just one big drive so I don't have to worry about where stuff is. Preferably without losing the data on the current drive because I have nowhere to really back it up. Is this even feasible?

Alternatively, should I be looking at a small NAS to run plex off of instead or something? My PC has been running it fine, but if there's a better way to do this that doesn't break my bank, I'm all ears.

Why don't you just buy a big drive and then move the content off the old drive to it, and then get rid of the old drive? Seems like a way simpler solution.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Why don't you just buy a big drive and then move the content off the old drive to it, and then get rid of the old drive? Seems like a way simpler solution.

I mean, yeah I guess I could do that, but then I've got a terabyte worth of empty hard drive that I could use for even more storage.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    What are you guys keeping on these drives? I have a 1TB drive that is half filled and thinking about it makes me want to go clean something.

High definition audio/visual media.

my OS drive has about 200GB used out of 500, my 1TB games SSD is sitting at about 800GB used, and my media drive is sitting at 1.7 out of 2TB used. Media files are big, especially really good quality ones.

and it's not all movies, I have old gopro, etc video on that drive as well.
    Mvrck wrote: »

I do 4k video editing for work that I sometimes work on at home, and then do hobbyist video and game design stuff as well here and there. Almost everything I'm not actively working on goes up to Google Drive, but I can still easily have several hundred GB of files at the same time. And like Bowen, I was an early adopter of SSDs and haven't had any fail, so I've got a mix of 128, 256 and 512 drives that I keep adding to.

OK, that makes sense. I should have known it was probably something like this. Sorry for calling you all hoarders... :lol:

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I mean, yeah I guess I could do that, but then I've got a terabyte worth of empty hard drive that I could use for even more storage.

eh, if I kept every 1TB drive I've ever owned because "this is storage" I'd have like 8x 1TB drives plugged into my computer and no.

At some point it's ok to say "this used to be a lot of storage but I don't need this anymore"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

eh, if I kept every 1TB drive I've ever owned because "this is storage" I'd have like 8x 1TB drives plugged into my computer and no.

At some point it's ok to say "this used to be a lot of storage but I don't need this anymore"

I've had too many drive failures over the years to hold on to old drives. I'm constantly swapping/replacing drives every 3-4 years. Probably overkill I know, but after losing an entire 4-year collection of anime and tv shows I...."acquired' from my roommate back in college to a hard drive failure. I'm erring on the side of caution where I can.

And NASs ALLL THE NASs all the time!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Went to frye's to get a replacement cpu cooler, turns out they replaced everything in the size i want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Socket-1A0297200-Cooler-AMD/dp/B00C76B73E

I just want something like that i can slot in.

Might be the same model, actually.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dude I am the digital equivalent of the hoarder with trash stacked to the ceiling. I have files from goddamn Middle school. They’re in a long dead proprietary format but why would I get rid of them when I can just buy more drives?!!!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dude I am the digital equivalent of the hoarder with trash stacked to the ceiling. I have files from goddamn Middle school. They’re in a long dead proprietary format but why would I get rid of them when I can just buy more drives?!!!

I have old patches for the original release of Strife on my current computer, copied in bulk from computer to computer since I originally downloaded them.

Sure they can't even be run because they're 16-bit windows apps and there's a contemporary release of the game on Steam but still, never know when I might need them!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I have an rgb problem. Someone stop me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/BQBFHww

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

I love it!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm on the lookout for a dirt cheap monitor I can use for troubleshooting or setting up non-main systems. Do you think something like Goodwill is worth the effort to find something that won't explode?

It can be small and shitty; it just has to have VGA and HDMI. I don't expect native DP on motherboards for another few years, so maybe down the line I'll replace it.

I'm basically slowly building out for when weird things happen.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a dirt cheap monitor I can use for troubleshooting or setting up non-main systems. Do you think something like Goodwill is worth the effort to find something that won't explode?

It can be small and shitty; it just has to have VGA and HDMI. I don't expect native DP on motherboards for another few years, so maybe down the line I'll replace it.

I'm basically slowly building out for when weird things happen.

Woot usually has a monitor sale of some sort going on at any time.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    There's always Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I know that clicking was probably the fan but my stomach clenched hard at the sound. Driving out to a smaller shop as soon as it opens

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yea I'd probably go the craigslist route for a cheap monitor.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    How much success have yous people had transferring Windows OEM licenses when upgrading to a new motherboard? I have a Windows 7, FREE upgraded to Windows 10, OEM license currently. I am on a limited budget so I need to know if I need to set +$100 aside for a new windows as well or not. I contacted Microsoft support but they were strangely unable to answer this question, for sure, either way. I was basically told I will have to wait and see what happens. :?

Siska on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You can activate a clean install of Windows 10 with any valid Windows 7 retail or OEM product key.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

The only problem I see is that you have small men inside your case. They look like they might be mortal enemies or something, so you may end up with some collateral damage to your system due to explosions and broken glass.

• Options
    Siska wrote: »
    How much success have yous people had transferring Windows OEM licenses when upgrading to a new motherboard? I have a Windows 7, FREE upgraded to Windows 10, OEM license currently. I am on a limited budget so I need to know if I need to set +$100 aside for a new windows as well or not. I contacted Microsoft support but they were strangely unable to answer this question, for sure, either way. I was basically told I will have to wait and see what happens. :?

I agree with @That_Guy but also you can set up a MS account and that can help you transfer the license.

There are other places you can purchase a key but they are decidedly Grey Market. For that reason I won't promote them here. There are a few "value" build-a-computer YT channels that admit where they purchase keys, if that's a road you want to walk

• Options
    I have a new CPU fan courtesy computer sonics, used. And some thermal paste. Don't know how I'm going get the old paste off and I don't know if that clicking was the old fan or hard drive.

I will be sick to my stomach until I turned a dam thing on

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Take the old paste off with some isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel.

• Options
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    If you must use a paper towel, take the processor out and then carefully remove the paste off to the side. Never use one while the processor is still socketed as you can run the risk of lint or fibers coming off of the towel and settling into the various crevices around the socket. Ideally use a microfiber electronics cloth instead if you can.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I was thinking of using a q tip

Also, discovered a wirring from my power supply is hope is just paranoia.

Off to get the alcohol

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Most times, I remove the processor from the socket, but I've also done it with the cpu mounted. Then I spray brake clean onto a cloth or paper towel and wipe. You can also use it to clean the paste off the cooler. It works fast, but the solvent smell is powerful, so only use it outside/ in a well ventiIated area. If you try this, don't directly spray onto the cpu, and avoid the solvent contacting the plastic.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I have iso propyl alcohol wipes and am preparing to begin the operation

New one squeaks as bad as the old

I forgot to apply thermal paste.

Mysterious sound from front.

Biting bullet and paying for diagnosis because fuck this panic

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Just take it slow.

Computer components are WAY tougher than you think.

You can do pretty much anything you want to them with the power unplugged.
    A well known overclocker even puts motherboards in the dishwasher...

• Options
    I built a just before Obamma won the election.

I haven't had it examined in like 5 years

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this; if not, please ignore and I'll post the question in Help/Advice.

Over the last couple of days I've had more and more crashes that manifest as follows: while audio keeps playing (at least for a while), the screen goes black and the fans (not sure whether CPU or GPU) switch to top speed. I then have to press the power button for a few seconds or flick the main switch in order to get the PC to work again. This has happened a couple of times since I got the PC (9900k, 2080 TI) about two months ago, but today it happened about 6-7 times within an hour or two, sometimes while playing, sometimes when the PC was just on and showing the desktop. When I restarted, I checked the BIOS to see what it said about CPU temps, and they were around 30-40°C, so I don't think it's a CPU overheating issue.

Any idea what could be causing this? Also, I've got 24 months of on-site warranty; is it worth just having them come and pick up the PC, or is this premature?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Have you updated video drivers since you got the PC?

Also, try shutting it down and checking all the power connections to see if they're loose

• Options
    I tend to update the video drivers whenever there’s a new one. I’ve also checked the power connections.

Is it possible that this is somehow connected to me trying to have my Oculus Rift S permanently hooked up? I’ve now disconnected it and there hasn’t been a crash since. I did have the occasional, rare crash beforehand, but I’m talking about one crash every few days. Not that I’ve done any systematic testing, though.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I don't have experience with it, but that's entirely likely. The Rift could be waking up and trying to turn on. You could try posting in the VR thread or talk to @Dhalphir

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    As I posted in the VR thread, I've seen similar, ended up being the mobo. Mine had a bit of a pattern to it, it would work fine for a stretch, shit the bed, be superass unstable and keep doing it constantly for a bit, then go back to stable functioning for a while, repeat.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    What (if anything) solved it? A BIOS update, or was the motherboard permanently borked?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I solved it by replacing the motherboard, don't recall if I'd thought to check for any firmware/BIOS updates.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Was it an issue with the USB C headers? Might be looking to see if an aftermarket PCI based USB 3 card might be worth it.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Phone posting so I can't grab the link but Gamers Nexus has the new ryzen announcement being at E3 and then a launch in July

This discussion has been closed.