As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    At star wars celebration I picked up basically a gunpla model but of a b-wing fighter and I just put it together and it's cool but it's way too flat. I've never tried panel lining or weathering (I actually have very little model painting experience) but I know I won't be happy till this looks like a rugged blockade buster of a fighter. Does anyone have recommendations for this kind of thing?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    At star wars celebration I picked up basically a gunpla model but of a b-wing fighter and I just put it together and it's cool but it's way too flat. I've never tried panel lining or weathering (I actually have very little model painting experience) but I know I won't be happy till this looks like a rugged blockade buster of a fighter. Does anyone have recommendations for this kind of thing?

Build it. Apply any decals and whatnot that come with it. Apply gloss varnish. Make up a solution of dark hued oil paint and mineral spirits to a milky or even watery consistency. Dab it into the panel lines with a small brush. If the gloss went down smoothly and didn’t fill the details, the mix will wick itself along the panel lines doing half the job for you. Dry with a hairdryer on low or just leave it for a few days then use a cotton bud dipped in clean mineral spirits to clean up any overspill.
    You can also mix up different colours to add different surface effects like oil spills etc. but remember it’s a space fighter and spends half its life in microgravity where the only acceleration is from its own engine so some of the spills will go “backwards” instead of “down” - keep doing this until you’re satisfied, then give it a coat of Matt varnish over the top to lock everything in place.
    Here’s a guy doing this with a model airplane:
    https://youtu.be/LfsFGZbiDLM

I will say he’s using a fairly generic dark oil look because it’s a vintage historical model. Spaze boyes don’t necessarily use Earthican crude oil, and they do have life support systems which will contain other fluids too., so don’t feel limited to browns. Heck, a little dribble of neon green tucked away near an interesting looking exposed pipe will generate intrigue.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Very nearly done with these Space Wolves. Just need to gloss varnish, pin wash, and matte varnish. There is a lot of stuff I could still do better on the models but I really just want to get some Space Wolves done and move onto the next ones with the corrections I plan after painting this set of 8.
    6vz8gTp.jpg
    Mtuweoa.jpg
    E9ga5f5.jpg
    sOweplv.jpg
    CAFSMfR.jpg
    rVGOVqi.jpg
    kE2g2Xv.jpg
    NiJBvmv.jpg

I still suck at taking pictures of these.

I also grabbed a set of those nylon bristle brushes they have at the LGS I go to. I wasn't able to get a 00 brush but I got 0 and 1 through 6.
    pHFfA9e.jpg

Haven't had a chance to use them yet.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

There's a SE plamo thread that's totally rad.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I was considering masking my Repulsor to get straight smooth edge highlights. This is all useful information to that end.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I was considering masking my Repulsor to get straight smooth edge highlights. This is all useful information to that end.

That seems like it would be a lot more trouble for a much worse result.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Finished the pin washing. I enjoy watching the paint just flow along these recess areas. I had a few mishaps as well but it comes right off of flat areas because of that gloss varnish.

I kind of like the gloss varnish look on my Space Wolves, something about it is kind of nice. I am still gonna hit them with the matte varnish but part of me doesn't want to.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    My first Deathwatch marine.
    5fuhlBH.jpg
    TkjMbAn.jpg
    8qe75an.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    That face/skintones on the head are wonderful, I wish I could do that. I always seem to muck it up.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2019
    Glad I didn't stay with the gloss varnish. Just did the matt and it is looking real good. The models are done now. I noticed some slight issues with the transfers but it should be fine.

Gonna take some pictures of the completed models later, I wanna make sure they are good this time.

What is a good option for a display stand? Preferably one that rotates.

Stragint on

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    That face/skintones on the head are wonderful, I wish I could do that. I always seem to muck it up.

Thanks. I always feel like my faces come out wrong. I try to do what the experts say and it just looks wrong on my models.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Where did you get the souldrinkers pauldron?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    Been doing a ton of painting trying to get ready for a day long narrative event with my club next Saturday. No way everything will be done. But I am trying to at least get big things done that stick out.

Venomcrawler
    MYajhlhl.jpg

CSM Squad+ Master of Possession
    17LzU9Ml.jpg

rsQ8JHZl.jpg

HrFQjjwl.jpg

ITWKOvol.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    A different, worse colour
    fYxB2xf.jpg

1 down 3 to go. I might return to her vines with some sort of semi gloss, the matt really knocked them back.

J on
    Contrast paints pre order June 8th and release June 15th. pretty stoked, I plan on using the black contrast paint on my Tau to cover the cloth between the armor.

Purple
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Where did you get the souldrinkers pauldron?

Shapeways. Feom Pop Goes the M9nkey, actually. I must have bought $50 worth of shoulder pads.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    You know, technically, I guess this is my second DW marine. I forgot about TraceofToxin's DW army we all worked on.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    You know, technically, I guess this is my second DW marine. I forgot about TraceofToxin's DW army we all worked on.

So did half the people who worked on it!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    I found a pic. The only one I could find.

017.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh wow, ye olde metal bolter and pads…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Airbrushing russ grey is not going well just like last time I did it. I'm doing two thin coats but it isn't really going on like I want. Not sure if the air flow improver mix with russ grey is too thin, I might need to use more paint.

I picked up some averland sunset base because the air version was annoying me with brushing painting. It still sucks. Yellow is the worst color.

These new brushes I bought are decent so far, the white nylon is interesting in that I can more easily see where the color is on the brush. I have been making sure to not let the paint go more than about half way up but it seems like the paint is still soaking into the part where the bristles meet the handle. I don't know if it is because I am watering the paint down too much and the pigment is just soaking up higher like a wash or what.

It is frustrating, I want to make sure I'm not ruining brushes.

And again, fuck painting yellow.

Stragint on

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    Airbrushing russ grey is not going well just like last time I did it. I'm doing two thin coats but it isn't really going on like I want. Not sure if the air flow improver mix with russ grey is too thin, I might need to use more paint.

I picked up some averland sunset base because the air version was annoying me with brushing painting. It still sucks. Yellow is the worst color.

These new brushes I bought are decent so far, the white nylon is interesting in that I can more easily see where the color is on the brush. I have been making sure to not let the paint go more than about half way up but it seems like the paint is still soaking into the part where the bristles meet the handle. I don't know if it is because I am watering the paint down too much and the pigment is just soaking up higher like a wash or what.

The trick to painting yellow is the same as the trick to not cry while peeling onions: Get someone else to do it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited May 2019

The trick to painting yellow is the same as the trick to not cry while peeling onions: Get someone else to do it.

I wish.

I watched the warhammer tv video and it is stupid how easy they make it look. It dries really fast on the shoulder pad so maybe I am thinning it too much? I'm looking at 3 or 4 coats at minimum right now and it looks bad, the warhammer tv video does it in 2. I feel like there is some nonsense happening.

I did the other shoulder red and I noticed that once again red was getting all the way up the bristles and I was being careful to only get paint about half way up the bristles. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Stragint on

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This weekend was apparently for finally getting around to painting all those little (and not so little) scenery piece projects I've been building up for years.

dql0Bisl.jpg
    sJFZuGal.jpg
    yn4x9Thl.jpg
    aqbxTZ7l.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I have been tempted to get the heroic bases by GW but there are specifc ones I want like the tank turret and tree remnants.
    But it's the tank turret I kind of want to get for my tyranid [phone autocorrects this to tyrranid?} either for my custom hive tyrant or one of the carnifexs but I can trawl ebay for the parts of a rhino or imperial guard tank to make that art piece in the codex from long ago

Anyone have recommendations for airbrushes? I feel like my current airbrush is starting to die.

I was hoping to pick up necrotite green at the LGS but they don't have much privateer press paint.

Also been trying to find a really bring orange and blue. I gotta get some real solid glow effects for multiple colors.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    I've got a Paasche Talon that I really like. The whole kit feels robust and well put together, it rarely clogs and gives a nice smooth coat.

The only con I've found with it is the nose cap has three fins instead of a solid cone, so it's a bit troublesome to get backflow through it when I'm cleaning it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    This on here... https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product/tg-set/

Though I got it on either ebay or amazon for quite a bit less than that.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »

What would be a good compressor for it?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    I have a combo of the Iwata HP CP Airbrush and a Iwata Smart Jet Pro Compressor which I love, it is very quiet for a compressor and has been enough for my needs.

I mostly use it to prime / lay down basecoats and it has been a champ in that role

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Viking wrote: »
    I have a combo of the Iwata HP CP Airbrush and a Iwata Smart Jet Pro Compressor which I love, it is very quiet for a compressor and has been enough for my needs.

I mostly use it to prime / lay down basecoats and it has been a champ in that role

That is what I want to do if I get an airbrush to prime and larger items basecoats just the lack of time and other things prevented me form really looking into it

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    imo it is absolutely worth it, you get smoother coats and end up using far less paint than if you were to use a rattlecan.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    I've got a boring low-cost Master airbrush, and it's been the best investment I've ever made in my painting career.

Airbrushing primer and base coats takes like 30% out of the work of doing the paint job. So worth it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I bought this master airbrush set for $100.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HJCP8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked really well but the airbrush is giving me trouble now. I was having issues running russy grey through. It kept either not putting anything paint through or barely any paint. I cleaned it, checked for clogs, and made sure the tip was fine and everything checked out so I'm not sure what was causing the issue. I put a good amount of air flow improver with the russ grey so it shouldn't have been too thick.

I will take a look at the airbrushes posted, should probably have gotten a new airbrush anyway with how often I use it right now for basing.

Purple
    Brainleech wrote: »

What would be a good compressor for it?

Honestly, my compressor is a piece of junk that I need to upgrade :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited May 2019

@Khraul

How does the airbrush do with thinned thicker paints like privateer P3 or citadel paints and how is the break down for cleaning, pretty easy?

Stragint on

Purple

@Khraul

How does the airbrush do with thinned thicker paints like privateer P3 or citadel paints and how is the break down for cleaning, pretty easy?

I haven't used any privateer paints before... citadel paints are easy though. There are a few videos I've seen that give you an idea of how thin the paint needs to be. Just start with some vallejo thinner, add paint then add either more paint or more thinner until you have the right consistency and then spray. I've used vallejo airpaints and primers straight from the bottle as well with no problem.

Breakdown is pretty straightforward... the back of the gun unscrews, then a retention screw comes off, then all the guts of the airbrush can be removed and cleaned. I usually clean the nosecap/needle every time I use it and I'll strip and clean the entire gun if I've done a large priming session. Takes like 10 minutes to clean pretty thoroughly.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I use a badger 105. No complaints, easy to clean.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    J wrote: »
    I use a badger 105. No complaints, easy to clean.

I'm pretty sure that's a dog.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.