As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    "time for a change, generally"

Oh my god

Welcome to democracy. It's actually worse then finding out how the sausage is made. Because how sausage is made is actually interesting and applicable to the creation of delicious homemade sausage whereas how democracy works is just depressing.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm confused that people are surprised by this. This is like the most normal thing.

I feel like the Cons/Libs have traded being the next best choice in ON/Federal politics for some time now.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised the "always vote conservative" response is only 25%. That seems low.

Though it is complicated by the fact that there are other options and that response might reflect the "I don't care about the other responses I could pick" choice.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I'm confused that people are surprised by this. This is like the most normal thing.

I feel like the Cons/Libs have traded being the next best choice in ON/Federal politics for some time now.

We aren't surprised, just disgusted.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Looks like the steel tariffs might be ending. CBC is suggesting that the need for Trump to have a trade win has basically resulted in the US accepting Canada's demands and dropping their own (quotas) just so that the tariffs can go away, and make NAFTA 2.0 ratification more likely (since the tariffs being removed was a precondition on Canada's part). Canada just has to drop the WTO challenge, which I imagine is moot if the tariffs aren't there anymore.

Somehow this will be bad for Trudeau.

Characters
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not surprised, I just hate it

It's not just that the electorate is misinformed, though. There is real frustration when people are dissatisfied by the current party in power and don't see any really viable alternatives. It's easy to minimize the problems with other options just so you feel like you're doing something, or to become cynical and consider them roughly equivalent, meaning you might as well punish the ones that did a bad job last.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Wee. In response to the min wage increase my restaurant rose tip out by 2% so the 60$ more a paycheque will be offset by a loss of 120-180$ a week. Fun times.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    What's tip out?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I believe it's when all the tips for the day are collected and distributed amonst the restaurant staff

• Options
    What province, if I may ask? That sounds like a quick trip to the relevant provincial labour ministry complaint line in regards to tips.

Characters
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    "time for a change, generally"

Oh my god

Welcome to democracy. It's actually worse then finding out how the sausage is made. Because how sausage is made is actually interesting and applicable to the creation of delicious homemade sausage whereas how democracy works is just depressing.

This is how democracy works when you use FPTP and have more than 2 candidates on the ballot, these crazy "vote for change" swings are baked into how FPTP is meant to function, how it only takes about 30% of the electorate to give a particular party a majority of seats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    What's tip out?

For us, it's a % on our total bills, (whether we get a tip or not, it's on the total and we're semi high end so average bill is 250$)
    Aegis wrote: »
    What province, if I may ask? That sounds like a quick trip to the relevant provincial labour ministry complaint line in regards to tips.

B.C.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Do rules for tips vary by province? I know that in Manitoba, at least, the only rules with respect to tips is that the business has to give reasonable notice to their staff if they want to change tip policies (which can vary from 100% kept by the tippee to 100% kept by the owner, plus any sort of variant, including banning the acceptance of tips).

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    What's tip out?

For us, it's a % on our total bills, (whether we get a tip or not, it's on the total and we're semi high end so average bill is 250$)

B.C.

A tip out on total sales is pretty crappy. most of the time I know its on just total tips, although I've seen situations where servers had to tip out credit card tips to the tune of 2% to cover the merchant fees for credit card transactions which also sucks a bunch.
    Tipping makes the whole industry very murky and grey every place has different policies, some styles of restaurants get tips, it creates animosity between front and back of house. plus the idea of a lower hourly wage because of tips is a mess.

I wish we could do away with it and encourage business to pay appropriately.

• Options
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't care if that's real or not. I love it.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    What's tip out?

B.C.

Ah, looks like tip pooling is allowed:
    Employers can require employees to pool their tips, and to share them with those employees who work in positions that otherwise have no access to tips.

Employers cannot deduct from a tip pool, or from tips to which the employer has access, such as those made through debit or credit cards. An employer may not charge an employee for costs such as a "dine-and-dash fund".

That's unfortunate for your situation :(

Edit: Although, if "tipping out" is referring to tip withholding for things other than a tip pool (ie- covering expenses), that's explicitly not allowed:
    However, under s.21(3), an employer may not use tips to cover a business cost. Gratuities used to pay an employer’s business costs are deemed by this section to be wages under the Act.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options

Joe Cressy is a Toronto City Councillor, for Spadina-Fort York.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Huh. It’s almost as though they should have been wary of voting for a party known for cutting public services. Who knew.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its how Ontario works.

We vote against things. We voted Wynne out, not Ford in. And we'll (hopefully) vote Ford right the fuck out too.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Its how FPTP works. If we want to actually vote for things rather than just against or "out" ( see: Anything But Conservative "strategic" voting based off whatever some polster says the front runners are and they are never wrong or you guess based off the last election's numbers :P ), we have to get a different way of voting. Wild swings in seat count based off a few percentage the more candidates are on the ballot is FPTP's forte.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Doug Ford's Ontario. Fewer teachers, more beer

They aren't wrong about the Beer Store thing. It's a bunch of bullshit that benefits private companies.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

They aren't wrong about the Beer Store thing. It's a bunch of bullshit that benefits private companies.

They also have no plans for where people can bring recycling now as apparently that was the beer store's thing.

I may be wring this info is based on an angry twitter storm of posts about it.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »

They also have no plans for where people can bring recycling now as apparently that was the beer store's thing.

Oh yeah, I would guarantee they have zero plan because they are conservatives and thus idiots who wank off to privatization of every sort without thinking anything through.

The Beer Store's main good roll is that it recycles a stupid amount of used containers.

• Options
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

It is, but they should really wait the contract out and then get rid of them, not pay massive penalties now

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Too bad your kid isn't a voter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Step one to getting rid of the minimum wage: start carving out classes of people for whom it doesn't apply.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    What was the general minimum wage before this was introduced?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Alberta was $15.00/hour for everyone regardless of age before this was proposed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Alberta was $15.00/hour for everyone regardless of age before this was proposed.

The original draft of the bill also included people with disabilities.... They apparently did not deserve full wages either.

Seriously.... I know a lot of kids that are working to save up for school and don't come from a background that can afford to pay their way.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps my ass

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Oh yeah, I would guarantee they have zero plan because they are conservatives and thus idiots who wank off to privatization of every sort without thinking anything through.

The Beer Store's main good roll is that it recycles a stupid amount of used containers.

If you wait six years you don't have to pay $1B in fees

I think all Ford knows about the Common People is we like to drink, honestly

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

If you wait six years you don't have to pay $1B in fees

I think all Ford knows about the Common People is we like to drink, honestly

I think Ford realizes he’s probably not going to last 6 years, though. He’s here to do as much damage as possible, pave the way for a potential Scheer government or get out.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

I bet than Disco's kid is going to remenber this when he'll get the right to vote, tough!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

I bet than Disco's kid is going to remenber this when he'll get the right to vote, tough!

We can hope.

• Options

I imagine a fair number of young people will, but there is a long history of a lot of people voting against their own best interests all over the world so it wouldn't surprise me if some didn't. On the other side, the UCP probably doesn't see young people as their base and has already written them off in order to appeal to the older crowd who do show up to vote consistently and are a much larger portion of the population.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I imagine a fair number of young people will, but there is a long history of a lot of people voting against their own best interests all over the world so it wouldn't surprise me if some didn't. On the other side, the UCP probably doesn't see young people as their base and has already written them off in order to appeal to the older crowd who do show up to vote consistently and are a much larger portion of the population.

She's turning 18 right after the next federal election and is pretty political as it is.....

She's one of the organizers of her schools GSA and has already gone to a counter-anti abortion protest with her friends of their own volition.

Could not be prouder of the kid and the is exactly 0% chance she would vote UCP.

• Options

She's turning 18 right after the next federal election and is pretty political as it is.....

She's one of the organizers of her schools GSA and has already gone to a counter-anti abortion protest with her friends of their own volition.

Could not be prouder of the kid and the is exactly 0% chance she would vote UCP.

That's great for her, activism in the prairies isn't something I saw a whole lot of when I was in school, especially compared to Quebec which seems to have mass student protests every couple of years which actually seem to get some good results.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Nice job Disco.

When my kids get that age I'll just be proud that they vote at all.
    I try to take them to the polling place when we do to get used to it but you never know what sticks.

This discussion has been closed.