As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Urgh... my head is feeling better today but my lower back is impossible to move. Everything stiffened up overnight. This is why I need to work more on my core muscles. I'm in fucking agony and yet I still need to haul stuff around this afternoon.

Similarly need to start treating my body better and currently working with a bad stomach knot that makes lifting difficult, but we need to put our first floor back together later and don't have a choice, so you just soldier on, right?

Hope you get a chance to relax and your back heals up some dude, being injured or ill and having no opportunity to call in because the job's on you and no one else is the most "god this sucks" part of parenting for me

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Heh, my wife was laughing this morning saying that at-home parenting should have workers comp. That got me shouting, "who can I sue!?" all morning. It was somewhat cathartic. My back feels 14% better now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    @SharpyVII

Keep trying with the swaddling. If they're getting their arms out, you did it wrong.

Try the swaddling blankets with the velcro closures if you aren't good with normal ones.

And then later you can move on to sleep sacks which are amazing. I wish they had adult sizes.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Well hopefully little guy and mum can be discharged today. It was supposed to be yesterday, but it turns out he had quite bad jaundice so he's been put under lamps for 24 hours.

This isn't the most dramatic thing ever, but I think the hospital could have handled it better. As it was, we were pretty much preparing to leave when the pediatrician came, did the measurement, and surprise! He has to stay another 24h.

Boo.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Bedtime battles are fucking exhausting. I am so spent. I get up at 4am for work. It is 8pm and our toddler will not go to fucking sleep and I am so frustrated.

Our daycare provider is not hearing us when we ask them not to let her nap. Even 30min at daycare means she is a bear to put to sleep at night.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So far we've been fairly lucky. For the most part, we set her down in her crib, and she might whine at me as I close my door, and she (relatively) quietly chills till she falls asleep.

Relative being talking loudly with the door closed, and knocking on walls.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So 3y.o. tiny human has been visibly grumpy for the last few days. Understandably. She's clearly over spending time with her grandma in this AirBnB while mum stays at the hospital and I'm running back and forth.

I can't wait until she gets over this compulsion to pick up every mildly interesting thing she sees on the ground. I was walking around last night with her, imagining her internal monologue.
    "Oh cool, dried and crumpled leaves in the gutter! Let's have some of those! A chewed on chupa-chup stick? Yep, could come in handy. Cigarette butts? Maybe..."

I know toddlers are explorers and I don't want to stifle that instinct, but it takes some restraint. Then she bargains with me when it's time to go back inside. No dear, we're definitely not taking these treasures back into the apartment...

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Figgy wrote: »
    @SharpyVII

Keep trying with the swaddling. If they're getting their arms out, you did it wrong.

Try the swaddling blankets with the velcro closures if you aren't good with normal ones.

And then later you can move on to sleep sacks which are amazing. I wish they had adult sizes.

@Figgy Thank you! I've been practicing with the swaddle blanket with the velcro straps and so far tonight he's not escaped.

This morning is the first time me and my wife have woken up together in the same bed since he was born!

He's been waking every 90 minutes or two hours for feeding and nappy changes whereas before he was inconsolable if we even put him down!

He's been feeding more regular now which helps.

My friends came to visit last night and it did me and my wife's mental health a lot of good even if they were only here for half an hour.

All of them except the only female of the group was too nervous to hold him but it was nice to talk to someone about non baby stuff!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I woke up, by my own power, at 7:15am this morning. This is the first time in over 3 years that either of the kids or the dog hasn't gotten me up at the usual time of 5:30-6:00. It's a miracle!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Bedtime battles are fucking exhausting. I am so spent. I get up at 4am for work. It is 8pm and our toddler will not go to fucking sleep and I am so frustrated.

Our daycare provider is not hearing us when we ask them not to let her nap. Even 30min at daycare means she is a bear to put to sleep at night.

I feel this. If my 5 year old falls asleep on the bus home, bedtime turns into a shit show

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    @SharpyVII

@Figgy Thank you! I've been practicing with the swaddle blanket with the velcro straps and so far tonight he's not escaped.

This morning is the first time me and my wife have woken up together in the same bed since he was born!

He's been waking every 90 minutes or two hours for feeding and nappy changes whereas before he was inconsolable if we even put him down!

My friends came to visit last night and it did me and my wife's mental health a lot of good even if they were only here for half an hour.

All of them except the only female of the group was too nervous to hold him but it was nice to talk to someone about non baby stuff!

When Sapling was real little, we were hanging out with a bunch of my friends, and I just quickly handed Sapling to my best friends wife (she didn't really shy away, so I didn't think anything of it), but apparently it was her first time holding a baby. The confused look on her face was pretty funny.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on an approximate age to let a kid see a movie? Like, they'll stay mainly engaged with the film and not get up and walk around.

My 3-almost-4-year-old has now seen Lego Movie 2 and Detective Pikachu in theaters, and done pretty well with them (needed a potty break in the middle each time). [ED: Oh! And Ferdinand.]

We started at home with things like Moana, Tangled, etc.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The confused look on her face was pretty funny.
    I've definitely seen that look. I think I remember having that look holding my nephew for the first time.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we've been watching the YouTube video "The Solar System Song" the last few days. Ellie is getting good at identifying the planets kinda.

So in her attempts to delay bedtime last night, she points to the globe that's next to her bed, "Mommy what planet is this?"
    Me: it's earth!
    Ellie: " no it's not! Earth is blue and green! Toys planet had yellow and pink and orange and blue!" (It has political lines and countries drawn on)

Like, I'm not ready to try and explain this to you at 930pm. Go to bed.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My partner got a different brand of her meds and we just had the worst morning in years. Our kid was empathetic to her crying and gave her his favourite plush toy. That got to me, si we were both crying. Thank god for dear friends who can babysit the kid and my partner today. She's also going to pick up her regular brand of meds today, so hopefully that'll help. To add more stress to all that today is my last day at work, so I couldn't stay at home all day. I'm gonna be late at work with puffy eyes, but at least I can blame allergies.

it's only 8.30

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Solvent and @BlazeFire , in solidarity. I experienced both the hospital handling Anya’s jaundice like that, and ugh, yes, I know the feeling of begging their care providers not to give them naps. It really is hard not having any personal time in the evenings!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    My partner got a different brand of her meds and we just had the worst morning in years. Our kid was empathetic to her crying and gave her his favourite plush toy. That got to me, si we were both crying. Thank god for dear friends who can babysit the kid and my partner today. She's also going to pick up her regular brand of meds today, so hopefully that'll help. To add more stress to all that today is my last day at work, so I couldn't stay at home all day. I'm gonna be late at work with puffy eyes, but at least I can blame allergies.

it's only 8.30

Hang in there! I hope it all works out soon for you all.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

it's only 8.30

Hey if you ever want to talk, or your partner does, hit me up. Dealing with this sort of thing is painfully familiar to me and keeping up with it over the years since my kids were born has been a real struggle.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Yeah. With too much downtime watching Peppa Pig over the last week, my daughter has started saying "Mummy!" and "Daddy!" in this weird faux-English accent. Have to put a stop to that.

Of course, I'm happy for my kids to grow up to be pretty much whatever they want to be.

Except English.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It's the law/ regulations here that providers must provide naps. Or at least "quiet time". Yeah, the three year old does not go to sleep before 10. They're required to provide naps through pre-k. Thank goodness they stop at kindergarten.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yup, I battled with the preschools over naps for years. And of course Massachusetts is one of those states that require naps. My kids stopped needing naps at 2, and if they took a nap, they'd be up till midnight. It was wonderful when they finally started Kindergarten.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Yeah. With too much downtime watching Peppa Pig over the last week, my daughter has started saying "Mummy!" and "Daddy!" in this weird faux-English accent. Have to put a stop to that.

Of course, I'm happy for my kids to grow up to be pretty much whatever they want to be.

Except English.

Now they have to watch The Patriot on repeat for a whole day.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    @SharpyVII

When Sapling was real little, we were hanging out with a bunch of my friends, and I just quickly handed Sapling to my best friends wife (she didn't really shy away, so I didn't think anything of it), but apparently it was her first time holding a baby. The confused look on her face was pretty funny.

My brother considers kids to be more or less weirder than the concept of alien life, so of course the first family gathering we went to after my son was born, I walked up to him, said hi, and then said, "here, hold him." Now, my brother is 6+ feet tall, long blond hair with a beard, Mjolnir pendant, etc. Basically a viking in modern day jeans and t-shirts. So to see him suddenly flustered and unsure of what the fuck to do was priceless. It still makes me giggle nearly two years later.
    BlazeFire wrote: »

My kid has an interesting rhythm. He'll sleep through the night unless he has a bad dream, but wake-up time can be weird. If it's the usual, he'll sleep until 8-9 am. If he's growing, possibly even 10. But, if it's changing seasons, his sleep schedule sometimes skips a beat so to speak, and he'll end up waking up at 6-7am for around 3-7 days, and then he'll go back to the usual.

And if he starts a nap between 2-2:30pm, he'll go to sleep around 9-10. If he starts a nap after 2:30, he's not going to be tired until 11. No nap, and he'll probably go to sleep around 8-9. But regardless of sleep start time, he sleeps like a rock until morning.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So, I'm just gonna start talking.

Ripley is 18 months old and Mrs. Megaman001 is still breastfeeding when Ripley wakes up, when she goes to sleep and uh, some nap times.

It's gotten to the point (unrelatedly?) where anytime Ripley is stressed out, crying, or what have you, she just charges for Mrs. Megaman001 and starts pawing at her chest.

We were at an indoor waterpark last weekend, which maybe Ripley was too young for, but even in the infant pool area any time I tried to play with her she would start screaming (italics to really elaborate on the volume and pitch) until Mrs. Megaman001 would go over, hold her hand, and everything was fine. It got to the point where I just went and did my own thing until everyone was tired and we left.

I didn't really think this was anything special, but a few weeks prior, Mrs. Megaman001 was on a CME trip and I was alone with Ripley for seventy two hours and it was awesome. Ripley was playful and energetic, she napped easily, and when she threw tantrums she did not try to grab my chest (which is ample) and I don't know what it was - but when Mrs. wasn't around (or perhaps her breastmilk wasn't).

Full disclosure, I'm the same guy who posted...maybe thirteen months ago about a two week period where every time I physically held my daughter she would burst into the highest pitch soul shattering screams I've ever heard since. We overcame that by me putting in earplugs and noise cancelling headphones and just waiting it out (which worked!).

It's hard to think that my relationship with my eighteen month old daughter is better when my wife isn't around, but here we are.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My son definitely behaves nicer for Dad when I'm not around. Dad is also the only one who can do dance classes with him, since the kid will just not listen to the teacher when I'm there, but if I'm absent, kid and Dad dance just fine.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd bet that's pretty normal. Kids act differently depending on who's around, so I wouldn't take that too personally or anything, it's just how they are. We've had similar experiences, too.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Sapling definitely behaves better for me, but is way more willing to try new stuff for mom.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the kids nearly refuse to sleep for me when @Janson is in the house but if she’s out for the evening, they’re fine with me.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Mom is fun time for the kiddo, I'm nap and sleep time, and dance time. He's got his certain games that each of us do with him as well.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Our kid prefers his mom too, we just laugh it off. I'm sure he will grow out of it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My kid prefers her dad.

But if she's with me she's far more independent than with him. She'll get herself dressed, go toilet on her own, help with groceries, etc. But if dad is around, she's suddenly helpless.

It's just a thing and how it is. It's much easier to say than do, by try to not stress.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    No nap yesterday, both kids asleep by 730. My wife and I got to actually speak with one another. OMG omg omg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    My kids are way better behaved for either of us solo than when we're both there.
    I think they start exploding with possibilities and can now do things with either parent. Beyond that, they seem to get that two of us have way more attention than one, so they cause more trouble.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    schuss wrote: »
    My kids are way better behaved for either of us solo than when we're both there.
    I think they start exploding with possibilities and can now do things with either parent. Beyond that, they seem to get that two of us have way more attention than one, so they cause more trouble.

Do they also do that negotiating thing where they first try with one parent and then ask the other? We try to be one front, but sometimes we aren't and then I can hear my kid savoring that 50% illegal extra cookie with twice the OM NOM NOM sounds.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2019
    My daughter loves chocolate milk. We all made it for her for a little while, but when I noticed my husband and roommate were doing it more I stopped. Nobody gets chocolate milk from me, even if no one else is home. I decided I really wanted her to have something special that she would associate most strongly with our roommate. I'm not sure anyone else really gets why if he's not home or he's in his room, then that's too bad, she has to wait. I feel like it's worked out better than I'd hoped though, she goes to him for it and almost never puts up a fuss when I need to go somewhere without her.

Maybe try giving her a treat that she will only ever get from you? Something she really likes that she can learn to associate with you, and if she wants it she has to go to you for it.

ceres on
  • Options

Do they also do that negotiating thing where they first try with one parent and then ask the other? We try to be one front, but sometimes we aren't and then I can hear my kid savoring that 50% illegal extra cookie with twice the OM NOM NOM sounds.

My daughter does it right the hell in front of my face. :P If she asks me for something and I say no she will walk over to the next-nearest adult and ask. She'll turn and say to them "please can I have the thing?" and I'm like "I just said no." And she'll look at me and look back at them and say "pleeeease?" And they'll say "your mother said no, you have to listen to that." And she'll look at them with her big 2 1/2-year-old baby blue puppy-dog eyes and say "pleeeeese?"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

My daughter does it right the hell in front of my face. :P If she asks me for something and I say no she will walk over to the next-nearest adult and ask. She'll turn and say to them "please can I have the thing?" and I'm like "I just said no." And she'll look at me and look back at them and say "pleeeease?" And they'll say "your mother said no, you have to listen to that." And she'll look at them with her big 2 1/2-year-old baby blue puppy-dog eyes and say "pleeeeese?"

I remember trying that once with my parents. I wanted some chocolate biscuits, and Mum said no. So I went and asked Dad. He also said no. Then about 5 minutes later he found out I'd already been told no by Mum.

The whole packet of biscuits went straight in the bin and we didn't get another packet of the same for at least a year.

I learned my lesson!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I remember trying that once with my parents. I wanted some chocolate biscuits, and Mum said no. So I went and asked Dad. He also said no. Then about 5 minutes later he found out I'd already been told no by Mum.

The whole packet of biscuits went straight in the bin and we didn't get another packet of the same for at least a year.

I learned my lesson!

As someone who is extremely prone to capricious and harsh punishment with little advance warning, I have to bow to this superior effort.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I learned my lesson!

As someone who is extremely prone to capricious and harsh punishment with little advance warning, I have to bow to this superior effort.

Pfft that wasn't harsh.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Of course, they know how to play people. Our first question is always "what did (other parent) say?"
    They only get in trouble if they lie and say we said yes or didn't ask, as they wouldn't be asking if they said yes....

This discussion has been closed.