As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    It's strange to be reading articles on how Miami did well and got the steal of the draft in Rosen. It's all on paper, but it's nice to be excited about the future for the first time in awhile.

He'd be no worse than QB2 if he was in this draft. It's amazing how fast the shine wears off in some people's eyes. I'm not really familiar with the Dolphins' situation, coaching wise, but from the standpoint of acquiring talent, it was a good move. I'm rooting for the kid personally because I hate the way he's been treated. He's not a mindless football automaton, so we'll shit on him incessantly for not falling in line. I hope he's the next Dan Marino, only with Jay Cutler's fuck you attitude.

Or at least not the next Chad Pennington, with Rex Grossman’s fuck it attitude.

maraji on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sports Turd Steve Smith has a hot take.

Goodness... Steve Smith just UNLOADED on Josh Rosen.

Apparently, after Arizona drafted Murray with the number one pick, Josh Rosen basically unfollowed the team on social media.

Can’t imagine why Josh Rosen would want to unfollow this

Yeah. I can't imagine why, either.

Anyway, this is what Rosen did yesterday.

What a whiny ass titty baby!

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    It's strange to be reading articles on how Miami did well and got the steal of the draft in Rosen. It's all on paper, but it's nice to be excited about the future for the first time in awhile.

I think Miami did fairly well overall. Rosen by all rights had a decent rookie season compared to the other rookies. And i think he can be a better QB down the line than tanehill, and I will take that as a positive. I never thought tanehill was really good with the system we have. So I hope Rosen will evolve in a couple of years to a decent QB to keep us above a .500 season.

as far as the rest of the draft, I am happy with the picks. I don't always agree with Miami's direction given management and such, but we got some really good linemen and the RBs are servicable as well, so overall I think we have a good mix that should really improve us. I mean the only one ding most people have been calling out was drafting Cox. And I think Charlie will fit fine in our running schemes.

I'm more happy this year for the draft than the last couple. We'll see how training camps go this summer and preseason. While I'm not expecting a wild card this year, I am looking forward to some competitive games instead of just switching over to Packer games at my friend's house!

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Eric Dickerson has been trying to blame WSU coach Mike Leach for RB James Williams (represented by Dickerson) not being drafted. Claims Leach “talked him down” to teams.

Couldn’t possibly be because the kid wasn’t good enough to spend a draft pick on and Dickerson was selling him a pig in a poke.

Williams signed an undrafted free agent deal with the Chiefs

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Rosen was a steal. Top 10 2018 QB for a 2nd round pick? As long as he’s not permanently rattled from his first year.

While next year has some great prospects, most will cost you serious draft capital.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Rosen was a steal. Top 10 2018 QB for a 2nd round pick? As long as he’s not permanently rattled from his first year.

While next year has some great prospects, most will cost you serious draft capital.

Barnwell got superduper nerdy with the deal as well to point out that not only is the upside potential huge, but monetarily it’s going to result in a lot of economic benefit for the Fins even if he’s a bench warmer

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    This is from a Yahoo Sports article:
    Jerry Jones believes the Dallas Cowboys can win more than just a division title after making changes for the 2019 season.

The Dallas owner expressed optimism on Wednesday that his team will be better than it was last year, despite winning the NFC East with a 10-6 record.

They have altered their coaching staff, firing offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and promoting Kellen Moore, while strengthening their roster by trading for defensive end Robert Quinn.

"Everything we were about was improving from where we were this year," Jones said, according to quotes in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

"There is no reason. There is no tangible reason we shouldn't be expected to be better than we were last year."

I think granpaw needs a group home.

Local sports turds are already buying in.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I think Jerry actually believes the Cowboys can go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl every year. Which is kind of admirable in a way until you remember that he is basically the reason the NFL is the untouchable monolith it currently is and realize he is actually kind of a sociopath for thinking like that.

• Options
    He's the guy that allowed Garrett to coach the team to three straight 8-8 seasons. He doesn't believe in anything more than convincing rubes to spend money on the team because they believe.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Uh I can think of a tangible reason the Cowboys shouldn’t be expected to be better

Their owner is a moron who thinks he’s a good GM and still can’t get over a series of perceived slights from 25 fucking years ago.

The Cowboys will not be a championship team again until Jerrah is no longer meddling in football business.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    To be fair, they’ll have an offseason for Dak and Amari to gel?

Another offseason for their young LBs to develop?

Oh......oh.......

He’s thinking about Witten isn’t he

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I think Dallas fans actually believe the Cowboys can go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl every year.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Baldwin and Chancellor cut by Seattle for failing physicals.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Merely a formality because Chancellor was going to probably retire and I wouldn't be surprised if Baldwin does the same. Though I'm hearing that due to the timing, they still get some bonuses.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Adam Gase is the new SUPERGENIUS for the J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

When I saw the thread title change, I thought "Really? Mike McCarthy? Transitioning to GM? Poor fucking Jets fans, haven't they suffered enough?"

I saw the report of Maccagnan being fired a couple of days ago, and my first thought was the wrong MetLife Field GM got fired. How Maccagnan can get fired, and Gettelman can keep his job, just boggles my mind.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

When I saw the thread title change, I thought "Really? Mike McCarthy? Transitioning to GM? Poor fucking Jets fans, haven't they suffered enough?"

I saw the report of Maccagnan being fired a couple of days ago, and my first thought was the wrong MetLife Field GM got fired. How Maccagnan can get fired, and Gettelman can keep his job, just boggles my mind.

Christian Hackenberg.

The real puzzler is that he was allowed to stay on through the draft and free agency.

Guess the Giants have a blueprint to fumble through if Daniel Jones is an inarguable bust after the 2020 season.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Christian Hackenberg.

The real puzzler is that he was allowed to stay on through the draft and free agency.

Guess the Giants have a blueprint to fumble through if Daniel Jones is an inarguable bust after the 2020 season.

Ahh, yes, Hackenberg. Yeah, that was a poor choice*. But Hackenberg got dumped a year ago next week. And Maccagnan was at least part of the team that put together what looks to be the best overall team I've seen from the Jets in quite a while.

* I had to look up the date, and while I knew Hackenberg was with the Jets two years and was never given a snap in the regular season, and wasn't even the backup for most of his tenure there, I didn't think that would be the HIGHLIGHT of his career.
    - Oakland took him for three weeks and released him.
    - Philly took him for three weeks, put him in a preseason game, and released him two days later.
    - Spent just over 4 weeks on the Bengals practice squad.
    And that's when things went from bad to worse.
    - Started for the Memphis Express (AAL). Threw for 1 pick. Pulled in the fourth quarter for performance. Lost 26-0
    - Played the next week, scored a rushing TD, but nothing in the air. Lost 20-18
    - Played the following week, threw two picks, and was replaced by Zack Mettenberger at the half, who went and scored two TD's.

That ends Hackenberg's career. Three regular season games, 3 losses, 3 Interceptions, 0 Pass TD's, a passer rating of 43.6 in a second-rate league.

I know it's unfair to dump on someone, but I'm sure the $2.76M he earned (more than I'll make in my lifetime), and hopefully a useful college degree. So he can deal with my WTFery and like it.

• Options
    Stop me if you've heard this one before:

A rumour exists suggesting the NY Jets might try to hire Peyton Manningface as GM.

• Options
    The Jets are literally Homer Simpson being sold a cursed doll at this point.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Do they get a free frogurt with their choice of toppings? 'Cause they're all in, if that's the case.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

It's really bad. Every time I think "THIS time will be different"... it's never different.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

It's really bad. Every time I think "THIS time will be different"... it's never different.

"The Giants drafted a questionable quarterback at 6."

"That's good, takes the heat off of us in New York, easier to have a productive off-season considering we just hired a division rivals ex coach"

"You just fired your GM because he lost a power struggle with a guy who was a questionable hire... After letting him run the draft"

Can I go home now?

• Options
    Good news, everyone! The league has approved a rule that could allow coaches to challenge pass interference plays in the final two minutes!

Hail Marys will likely be exempted!

Now the league will probably have to create a rule defining what a Hail Mary is!

HUZZAH!

• Options
    Good news, everyone! The league has approved a rule that could allow coaches to challenge pass interference plays in the final two minutes!

Now the league will probably have to create a rule defining what a Hail Mary is!

HUZZAH!

And then protocol for reviewing whether a play met the definitions of a Hail Mary so they know whether they can review it

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

HUZZAH!

And then protocol for reviewing whether a play met the definitions of a Hail Mary so they know whether they can review it

Look at the bright side - we'll get something bizarre yet entertaining from Jon Bois out of this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

HUZZAH!

This is a real good news/bad news/??? news.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I think Dallas fans actually believe the Cowboys can go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl every year.

As someone who grew up around a few Dall-ass fans, can confirm that is their actual thinking. I remember one year when they went 1-15 a friend of mine was WOOOOOOO DALLAS THE BESSSSSSSST GOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAMMMMMMM in my face before (and after) every game. I also delighted in taking any team in Madden and destroying another friend who would only play Cowboys. Every weekend he would tell me to come over and play because he had "new strats" and every time he would rage quit from getting obliterated.

EDIT: Also, if you want to have some fun with a Dallas fan, argue with them about being called "America's Team".

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The 90s and constant arguments about Barry v Emmett are why I started hating the Cowboys and their fans.

The ongoing "America's Team" BS is why I never stopped.

*2014 Playoffs helped stoke those original embers a bit as well

• Options
    Barry Sanders was better.

Non-Dallas fans care more about 'America's Team'.

lrn2catch

• Options
    Bart Starr has died.

• Options
    SUPERGENIUS Chucky has signed Richie Incognito.

• Options

But hey, he fired Marquette King for "personality issues".

But has no issues with f'n Incognito?

• Options

The media couldn't wait to relabel him a locker room leader during his tenure in Buffalo.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

If only there was some easily recognizable pattern in all of his brilliant decisions.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I’m legit surprised Incognito is able to play, what with all the obvious failing mental health and all

Does Incognito even know he was signed?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That a piece of shit like Richie Incognito continues to find NFL teams lets you know all you need to know about the NFL really feels about domestic violence and bullying.

"You'll keep watching, and we don't give a shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I’m legit surprised Incognito is able to play, what with all the obvious failing mental health and all

Does Incognito even know he was signed?

Maybe he signed under an assumed name?

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    That a piece of shit like Richie Incognito continues to find NFL teams lets you know all you need to know about the NFL really feels about domestic violence and bullying.

"You'll keep watching, and we don't give a shit.

Yup. And the sad thing is, the teams that do the right thing, and drop these assholes, are essentially punished competitively, as a result.

Granted, they're often only doing it well after they should have, like KC and Kareem Hunt (knew about it immediately, claim ignorance until video, released immediately), but even then, there seems to be very little fanbase/media criticism over hiring one of these assholes on the other end.

The only two I can think of that were roundly maligned, and the teams signing got some form of kickback on, were the Cowboys for Greg Hardy and the Eagles for Michael Vick. And while they both demonstrably did bad acts, at least Vick paid a price. Peterson skated, and Washington embraced him. As mentioned above, Incognito got a pass for Buffalo. Kareem Hunt got a pass for the Browns.

Too often, fanbases and the media turn a blind eye to this shit, and like you said, it's clear how the NFL feels about this stuff as a result.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Incognito stepped his game up big time from bullying and racism

What with the involuntary psychiatric hold after having an incoherent, delusional meltdown at a gym, and then topping that off by threatening a funeral home because they wouldn’t let him cut his dead dad’s head off for science and was found to have had an 80s action movie’s worth of firearms in his pickup truck

That racist and bullying shit was just his warmup

The dude has no brains left, and he originally retired due to failing kidneys and liver, which, uh....

In short, the worrying part isn’t that they signed a shitbag, it’s that they signed a dude who has a low chance of still being alive (literally) by the end of the year due to symptoms that look a fuck lot like advanced CTE and/or organ failure and are going to make him ram his addled brain into other dude’s helmets and give him more drugs to keep him on the field!

Captain Inertia on