As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
edited May 2021 in Games and Technology
TIME FOR CORPORATE MANDATED EXCITEMENT!

DoEAR8FAKaXptWxpU6Dk68.png

3cl1ps3 on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm legitimately excited for this E3. I think we're going to see a bunch of really good stuff.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    hey, someone else made the thread this year! my procrastination paid off! :P

also, this is happening

finally! a proper look at Crystal Dynamic's Avengers game! really eager to see what this turns out to be.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    hey, someone else made the thread this year! my procrastination paid off! :P

also, this is happening

finally! a proper look at Crystal Dynamic's Avengers game! really eager to see what this turns out to be.

This and Fallen Order are what I'm most excited for.
    I realllly hope it turns out well for Avengers. They really need to start putting out some good superhero games. Spider-man was so excellent, I was hoping that would be the first of many.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    E3 is the one time of year I allow myself to be a little less cynical about the game industry's major corporations and a little (or at lot) more hyped about upcoming releases.

It's like Christmas. Except that it's in June and I'm not driven insane by the music constantly blaring at me in every store.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't know what might be showing but I do hope for more information on that other samurai ninja game. Also new jrpgs. All the jrpgs.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't know what might be showing but I do hope for more information on that other samurai ninja game. Also new jrpgs. All the jrpgs.

Maybe one specific jrpg?

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    Madican wrote: »

Maybe one specific jrpg?

ALL THE JRPGS

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a new Xenoblade of some sort. Probably too soon, unless it's a remaster of some of the older ones (which I'd also like).

vamen wrote: »
    I'd love to see a new Xenoblade of some sort. Probably too soon, unless it's a remaster of some of the older ones (which I'd also like).

I keep hoping for an X port for the Switch.

It's not gonna happen. But I still hope.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's too bad Sony wasted all their money on last year's E3 (doing that stupid "three different locations" thing) and had to drop out this year's.

I can't imagine what will be at the Bethesda thing. Doom I guess. Maybe more info about their space game.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Looking up my 2018 E3 wishlist
    1. New Banjo-Kazooie
    2. Shadow Complex 2
    3. Do something with the Heretic IP, Activision!
    4. New Half-Life game
    5. Sony and Microsoft working on a crossplay inititive

1. Still technically possible, but I doubt it happens before next gen, if ever. Still would eat that up, though.
    2. I'm over it. Much better metroidvanias are out now and I'm not sure I could stomach Card's politics these days, even if they're watered down.
    3. Would still love a modern Heretic, but given what's going on at Raven, I doubt that'll ever happen. I wish Raven could get out from underneath activision and go on to making rad B-tier games again. Free Raven Software!
    4. Won't happen, unless they decide to VR it. I'm not begging for a new HL game anymore, but I'll take one if they release it. Hell, I'd take a new Valve game that wasn't just a microtransaction vector. That said, they're not really one for E3 reveals.
    5. I think we're closer to this than we were last year, but I'd be very surprised if it happened. It's not a very good move for Sony (Microsoft can afford to be magnanimous and Nintendo operates on a seperate level that they don't mind either way.)

Some new entries

-Doom Eternal release date
    -Wolfenstein 3 announcement
    -Release dates for Gears Tactics and Gears 5
    -GearsPOP "it's out now!"
    -New Rare game (whatever that might be)
    -More stuff like "Grow Home" and "Unraveled" from companies like Ubisoft and EA.
    -Metroid Prime 4 revealed to not being 3+ years away.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I live for the ridiculous hype and awkward pressers of E3.

1. New Banjo-Kazooie
    2. Shadow Complex 2
    4. New Half-Life game

1. Still technically possible, but I doubt it happens before next gen, if ever. Still would eat that up, though.
    2. I'm over it. Much better metroidvanias are out now and I'm not sure I could stomach Card's politics these days, even if they're watered down.
    3. Would still love a modern Heretic, but given what's going on at Raven, I doubt that'll ever happen. I wish Raven could get out from underneath activision and go on to making rad B-tier games again. Free Raven Software!
    4. Won't happen, unless they decide to VR it. I'm not begging for a new HL game anymore, but I'll take one if they release it. Hell, I'd take a new Valve game that wasn't just a microtransaction vector. That said, they're not really one for E3 reveals.
    5. I think we're closer to this than we were last year, but I'd be very surprised if it happened. It's not a very good move for Sony (Microsoft can afford to be magnanimous and Nintendo operates on a seperate level that they don't mind either way.)

Some new entries

-More stuff like "Grow Home" and "Unraveled" from companies like Ubisoft and EA.

don't get your hopes on that one, Activision don't seem to have any space on the expo show floor so we probably one see much of anything from them this year. they are showing off the new CoD tomorrow, but with Sony not in attendance i'm not sure if even that will get featured at E3.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The last few years I've re-realized my love of just being excited about gaming news.

So count me in for being hyped up.

There were a handful of years where I stopped paying attention to it all but ever since I've just accepted to have fun with it all E3 has been a straight up good time.

Can't wait to see some Cyberpunk and what games fill in the September and October spots as those months are usually pretty poppin.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Avengers game is supposedly a live service, Destiny-like game. The Devs haven't commented on it yet, this is just being inferred from the job posting descriptions for the project. I wouldn't be too surprised if it is the case. When they shut down Marvel Heroes they immediately announced a new Avengers game and people kinda assumed the two events were related.

Otherwise, shit, I dunno what I'm excited about for this year's E3.

Games I am excited for I already know a fair amount about, though would certainly love to know more and I'm not really aware of anyone who may have a surprise up their sleeve. Most Devs seem to be either finishing off this Gen or gearing up for the next right now. I've a feeling next year's E3 will be quite exciting.

Still I am more than happy to take part in the festivities.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I’m still hoping for a new Terraria game...

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Nintendo is going to be all like "Hey, we heard you like the Zeldas. Thats good because Switch is getting all the Zeldas, this year. But Capt Howdy still won't get his Endless Ocean 3 or HD because fuck that guy and his money".

And maybe we'll finally get FO3 and FONV on Switch as well.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The Avengers game is supposedly a live service, Destiny-like game.

Well that certainly cools the bit of excitement I had to learn more about this one then.

Please Nintendo show me some SMT 5 stuff already it's been two years! Maybe three?

1. New Banjo-Kazooie
    2. Shadow Complex 2
    4. New Half-Life game

Some new entries

don't get your hopes on that one, Activision don't seem to have any space on the expo show floor so we probably one see much of anything from them this year. they are showing off the new CoD tomorrow, but with Sony not in attendance i'm not sure if even that will get featured at E3.

Me: "I doubt this will ever happen"

You: "don't get your hopes up!"

....sure thing. :)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    XCX port is the top of my "remotely possible" wishlist.

Realistically, I want to see what Monolith is working on, and I want something new that we haven't seen before but makes me go "must have that now".

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The Avengers game is supposedly a live service, Destiny-like game. The Devs haven't commented on it yet, this is just being inferred from the job posting descriptions for the project. I wouldn't be too surprised if it is the case. When they shut down Marvel Heroes they immediately announced a new Avengers game and people kinda assumed the two events were related.

Games I am excited for I already know a fair amount about, though would certainly love to know more and I'm not really aware of anyone who may have a surprise up their sleeve. Most Devs seem to be either finishing off this Gen or gearing up for the next right now. I've a feeling next year's E3 will be quite exciting.

yeah i've heard the talk about it, but am still eager to get some confirmation one way or the other. and if it is a live-service game, what does that look like in the super-hero space? i enjoyed City of Heroes* and Champions Online back in the day, though was never a diehard player in either so a new super-hero game in that MMO-lite space could be pretty cool. DC Universe Online didn't grab me in the same way, and even if it had it'd still be cool to see more super-hero games in that space. and just in general too.

*which has seen a bit of an unofficial revival of late.

edited May 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

Realistically, I want to see what Monolith is working on, and I want something new that we haven't seen before but makes me go "must have that now".

For me XCX 2 is at the top of my list, but I'd kill a man in front of his own momma for a XCX Switch port.

edit-

yeah i've heard the talk about it, but am still eager to get some confirmation one way or the other. and if it is a live-service game, what does that look like in the super-hero space? i enjoyed City of Heroes* and Champions Online back in the day, though was never a diehard player in either so a new super-hero game in that MMO-lite space could be pretty cool. DC Universe Online didn't grab me in the same way, and even if it had it'd still be cool to see more super-hero games in that space. and just in general too.

*which has seen a bit of an unofficial revival of late.

One of the other things that popped up in the job postings was them looking for people with experience with third-person, cover based shooter and melee systems.

Also they talked about "boss fights" a lot.

Though it is all speculation. Either way I'm happy for more superhero stuff and even if the game may not be for me I still hope it is quality stuff.

Axen on
    If I had to guess, it'll be like Marvel Heroes meets Destiny.

You'll have a handful of playable characters, taken from the most popular Marvel heroes right now, and they'll make their money by selling skins of the 90 million different versions and costumes of the characters that have existed over the past 70+ years.

Eventually they'll roll out new characters.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

For me XCX 2 is at the top of my list, but I'd kill a man in front of his own momma for a XCX Switch port.

XCX2 is slightly more probable. There are also some things SEGA could technically show but are even less likely than a XCX port that would make me happy

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I'd be down for XCX2.

Don't give a hoot about ports or remakes. But a new XCX would be rad.

i am wondering if we're gonna get some XCOM news. there's been a franchise wide sale going on lately and it feels about time to start hearing something on 3.

Firaxis is one expansion deep into Civ 6, so they could be in position to drop a x-com 3 reveal, but I feel it's still a little too soon.

Firaxis is one expansion deep into Civ 6, so they could be in position to drop a x-com 3 reveal, but I feel it's still a little too soon.

It's me. I'm the weirdo who'd only be interested in an announcement for another Beyond Earth or Starships. Neither of which is likely to happen.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have fairly strong suspicions about something XCOMish yeah

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    XCOM + Rabbids

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Totally different teams so it's entirely possible that Jake's Adventurers have been beavering away and are ready to drop something. I wouldn't expect a release this year sure, but announcement? That's a definite maybe.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

It's me. I'm the weirdo who'd only be interested in an announcement for another Beyond Earth or Starships. Neither of which is likely to happen.

another Beyond Earth would be cool if they actually took the time to make it its own thing and not just a re-skin of the main Civ. BE had some cool ideas but was ultimately a bit of a let down i feel. maybe i was just expecting a new SMAC and that was always going to be a set up for disappointment, but i do feel like they can do something in that sc-fi space that's new and different and cool.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Sonic + XCom Mobius Battle

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    If I had to guess, it'll be like Marvel Heroes meets Destiny.

You'll have a handful of playable characters, taken from the most popular Marvel heroes right now, and they'll make their money by selling skins of the 90 million different versions and costumes of the characters that have existed over the past 70+ years.

Eventually they'll roll out new characters.

I'm so in.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular

So we heard about this City of Heroes thing a long time ago, and...

No?

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas

So we heard about this City of Heroes thing a long time ago, and...

No?

...What?

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Mixture of hopes and predictions here, though some of this is probably gonna happen in pre-E3 announcements:

Definitely gonna happen
    Mario Maker 2 DLC roadmap
    Overcooked 2 DLC reveal
    Hollow Knight Silksong stuff

Maybe
    Something genuinely surprising and innovative for Pokemon Sword+Shield
    Hades or Pyre (or both!) for Switch
    Let that Avengers game be actually good
    Tease the next 3D Zelda
    New Donkey Kong Country

No chance (but would be nice)
    Half-Life 3 Confirmed
    New Chrono Trigger game

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    What’s the over under for ridiculous “gameplay” trailers that’s no one believes for a fucking second? I still like e3 but it’s gotten to the point that I just assume all trailers are just made up nonsense that have nothing to do with the actual game.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

They've released two expansions for Civ6, actually. Every Civ (except the first) has had 2 expansions, so they're probably done with 6 now.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.