As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Name Of The Game

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Name Of The Game

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Amy the Falcon looking fierce!

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Did he explain to them that it's not called Sea of Friends? :)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2018/02/19/quality-time

(Edited to add link after I found the comic I was referring to.)

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    you got to lift the visor up Jerry https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/30
    also, this is kinda why I avoid games with perma lose. I tried Eve Online, but getting my ship blown up in 10 sec and then podded was not fun.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ice Cream Helmet technology still has a ways to go

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the Joys of PvP enabled content, the biggest reason I stay away from it.

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    KagatoAC wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Joys of PvP enabled content, the biggest reason I stay away from it.

Yeah, once something is labeled as multiplayer only my interest kind of goes away.

Like if Overwatch was anything but a PVP game I would be into it.

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • XanthicirsXanthicirs Registered User new member
    Aw, come on. That very rarely happens. Well....maybe a third of the time.

• XanthicirsXanthicirs Registered User new member
    Also you're not supposed to spend hours between outposts. Go turn that stuff in more often.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    you got to lift the visor up Jerry https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/30
    also, this is kinda why I avoid games with perma lose. I tried Eve Online, but getting my ship blown up in 10 sec and then podded was not fun.

To be fair, in Sea of Thieves you can only lose what you didn't turn in. Once turned in, progress is permanently acquired.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Xanthicirs wrote: »
    Also you're not supposed to spend hours between outposts. Go turn that stuff in more often.

As is true in most cases, the victim is really to blame here.

H9f4bVe.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Yeah, once something is labeled as multiplayer only my interest kind of goes away.

To be fair, OW is kind of a different beast because there's no progression, really. Like, you get XP for playing, and if you win you get it faster, but that's just to earn free loot boxes (which only contain cosmetic rewards, nothing that effects gameplay). Like, I am typically very PVP averse because I'm way too scatterbrained about what games I'm playing at any given time to "git gud" at one, but losing matches in Overwatch just means it takes a little longer to get your next box (you still get some xp even on a loss). There isn't anywhere near as much of a sting to it as there is when you permanently lose progress to some noob-stalking goose in a game with PVP, persistence, and progression loss.

Apparently Sea of Thieves has a kind of checkpoint system though? I don't remember if EVE Online does.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

To be fair, OW is kind of a different beast because there's no progression, really. Like, you get XP for playing, and if you win you get it faster, but that's just to earn free loot boxes (which only contain cosmetic rewards, nothing that effects gameplay). Like, I am typically very PVP averse because I'm way too scatterbrained about what games I'm playing at any given time to "git gud" at one, but losing matches in Overwatch just means it takes a little longer to get your next box (you still get some xp even on a loss). There isn't anywhere near as much of a sting to it as there is when you permanently lose progress to some noob-stalking goose in a game with PVP, persistence, and progression loss.

Apparently Sea of Thieves has a kind of checkpoint system though? I don't remember if EVE Online does.

There's not really permanent loss in Sea of Thieves, either. The only things you can gain are cosmetic upgrades, and you can never lose them. If your ship is destroyed, it just respawns. The only things you can lose are chests and treasures you're carrying on you because you haven't turned them in yet, like Djiem mentioned.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    There's not really permanent loss in Sea of Thieves, either. The only things you can gain are cosmetic upgrades, and you can never lose them. If your ship is destroyed, it just respawns. The only things you can lose are chests and treasures you're carrying on you because you haven't turned them in yet, like Djiem mentioned.

It's basically a pirate re-theme of Microsoft Word.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

You also lose the time it took to acquire those things.

And the time you could have had in the future with those things.

The only safe option is to never play.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular

To be fair, OW is kind of a different beast because there's no progression, really.

True, but I'd rather be a time-warping gunbunny in a game that's not an arena shooter. Like a Borderlands-esque game or summat.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

You joke, but for a lot of games I'm starting to feel this way. Maybe I'm just aging out of playing video games as much as I used to. Part of me loves the idea of EVE, or even things like Rimworld or other roguelike games (I'm loosely using that term since I think of those more being the shorter - fail repeatedly, sometimes win games). It's fun when there is something kind of at stake.

But the more I actually reflect on it, the more it seems like a waste of time. And the more pessimistic the game is or makes me, the more it feels pointless. Why spend 30-40+ hours on a specific colony in Rimworld when it's going to stupidly be lost to some bad luck dice roll that decides to drop a raid on me, and a plague, and a blight. For me this causes anger at wasted time, since it's all just gone now. Sure I could save scum and I shamelessly do sometimes, but somehow it becomes less worthwhile since you know you would've lost even if the way was unfair. If it didn't have so much slow, agonizing build up then perhaps the spectacular loss wouldn't be as bad (See: Binding of Isaac and similar).

Overwatch's lack of progression combined with it's poor balance and community really killed it for me and I think tons of others. So many I know who used to play it every day haven't even played in months. I tried again after probably a month and a half away, got bored of the tedium almost immediately and just turned it back off. Really makes you appreciate games that are rewarding to play and don't waste a lot of your time either with stupid things you don't want to do or with frustrating mechanics. Others might find the idea of a game you can pour 100's of hours into only to lose it all in a moment to be thrilling, but to me it's like building an elaborate, highly intricate birdhouse - then someone lights it on fire and all I'm left with are ashes. I'm not enough of a masochist to actually find that enjoyable.

Zenigata on
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Honestly with the small amount of time I have to play video games, I have been gravitating towards story based indie games, and one of the main factors has been that with sub-15 hour completion times, I can realistically expect to finish them before the end of the year.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

To be fair, OW is kind of a different beast because there's no progression, really.

True, but I'd rather be a time-warping gunbunny in a game that's not an arena shooter. Like a Borderlands-esque game or summat.

I'd love Blizzard to put a second team on making a dedicated PVE game in Overwatch like how Titanfall went from pure multiplayer to having a singleplayer campaign in the sequel. I don't expect it to happen, but I'd preorder that.

Minor nitpick though, OW is not an arena shooter; it's a class-based shooter like Team Fortress 2 (well, release-era TF2, no gear unlocks in OW). Arena shooters are things like Quake and Unreal, where you start with minimal weapons (and typically all players have the same abilities, weapons, etc), collect them from item spawn points, and lose them on death.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Zenigata wrote: »

You joke, but for a lot of games I'm starting to feel this way. Maybe I'm just aging out of playing video games as much as I used to. Part of me loves the idea of EVE, or even things like Rimworld or other roguelike games (I'm loosely using that term since I think of those more being the shorter - fail repeatedly, sometimes win games). It's fun when there is something kind of at stake.

But the more I actually reflect on it, the more it seems like a waste of time. And the more pessimistic the game is or makes me, the more it feels pointless. Why spend 30-40+ hours on a specific colony in Rimworld when it's going to stupidly be lost to some bad luck dice roll that decides to drop a raid on me, and a plague, and a blight. For me this causes anger at wasted time, since it's all just gone now. Sure I could save scum and I shamelessly do sometimes, but somehow it becomes less worthwhile since you know you would've lost even if the way was unfair. If it didn't have so much slow, agonizing build up then perhaps the spectacular loss wouldn't be as bad (See: Binding of Isaac and similar).

Overwatch's lack of progression combined with it's poor balance and community really killed it for me and I think tons of others. So many I know who used to play it every day haven't even played in months. I tried again after probably a month and a half away, got bored of the tedium almost immediately and just turned it back off. Really makes you appreciate games that are rewarding to play and don't waste a lot of your time either with stupid things you don't want to do or with frustrating mechanics. Others might find the idea of a game you can pour 100's of hours into only to lose it all in a moment to be thrilling, but to me it's like building an elaborate, highly intricate birdhouse - then someone lights it on fire and all I'm left with are ashes. I'm not enough of a masochist to actually find that enjoyable.

For me, there's the basic reality that eventually, I'm going to stop playing any game. So none of it really matters in terms of lasting accomplishments or rewards. It all boils down to whether I enjoyed my time with it.

Kind of like life in a lot of ways. You can't take cheevos with you.

dennis on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Eh. A lot of the skills that I learn in frivolous video games carry over to other frivolous video games. I don't see what the problem is.

Oh. Wait.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

For me, there's the basic reality that eventually, I'm going to stop playing any game. So none of it really matters in terms of lasting accomplishments or rewards. It all boils down to whether I enjoyed my time with it.

Speak for yourself - I’m getting my gamer score inscribed on my urn

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Speak for yourself - I’m getting my gamer score inscribed on my urn

I'm getting a tattoo on my wang. Score is very low, so no problem there.

Mine is going to say "Spent literally an entire day making a Mega Man pixel statue in Fallout 4 once"

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I've seen them mention this game before but I've never played or seen sea of fiends myself.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I believed it's available with the XBox games pass (even on Windows?) Which I think is also currently doing some sort of promotional get 3 months for a few bucks kind of thing.

steam_sig.png