As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    Hansa Tuetonica: I loved the crap out of this one. Every turn feels agonizing, but the turns were short, you had to pay attention to your opponents, and your early moves greatly impacted your later moves. We got a couple rules wrong (placing bonus tiles after claiming a bonus tile), so that led to a bit of a runaway leader problem, but still had a blast. My fiancee isn't a big fan of direct interaction / take that mechanics, so even though this game feels crazy cut throat and brutal, she still enjoyed it. She said that even though people could block what you wanted, there was always a way to make something work for your turn. Definitely want to play this a bunch more.

I love Hansa Teutonica so much and I love it more every time I play it. I think my group is about 20 plays in and we're still finding new strategies.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised this game hasn't hit my radar before. It looks like something I would enjoy a lot. BGG lists the playing time as 45-90 mins, is that about right?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    7th Continent has arrived!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    7th Continent has arrived!

Grrr. Still waiting for my shipping notice here.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Mine should be delivered today too!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I didn’t play many boardgames at strategicon this year, I did a lot of roleplaying instead, so check those threads for more impressions on those games. But I did play;

Incoming Transmission, a cute little cooperative game about unscrambling orders to move tiles around to save a space station. Perfectly fine, but also not really special.

Battle Line. Holy shit how did I sleep on this game for so long. It’s so simple. It’s so deep. It’s so fun! It’s so nuanced. I probably need to sleep on this some more but I may call it the most elegant boardgame I have ever played. Finally a Knizia game with a theme that works well for me too!

Meltwater: A Game of Tactical Starvation. So I didn’t actually get to play this but I really want to own it. It’s another hyper focused Hollandspiel game that interests me. The Cold War went hot, now the survivors are fighting it out in anarctica. Slowly strangle your opponents to death with dwindling resources as the game takes a war of the extermination to its logical conclusion. Bleak as hell but also extremely my jam.

Battle Line is one of those games that doesn't have a lot to discuss, but it is indeed a solid classic gem.

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Battle Line is one of those games that doesn't have a lot to discuss, but it is indeed a solid classic gem.

I've had to buy multiple copies due to wear and tear.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    We can agree it’s awesome and then still fight over whether to use the Tactics cards or not.

You shouldn’t!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Finally got my Gloomhaven up and running after like 4 hours of sorting

I think I like it better solo! As a big group activity I feel like there’s much better uses of my time, but as a thing to do on a Monday night while I’m listening to a podcast, it’s terrific

6F32U1X.png
    JonBob wrote: »
    We can agree it’s awesome and then still fight over whether to use the Tactics cards or not.

You shouldn’t!

I won my game by using exactly one tactics card. What’s the argument for not using them? Reducing hand size?

Inquisitor wrote: »

You shouldn’t!

I won my game by using exactly one tactics card. What’s the argument for not using them? Reducing hand size?

I believe he means not including them in play at all.

Because it's more pure that way.

My BoardGameGeek profile
    Alright what’s the pitch on Battle Line if I don’t know what “Knizia” is

6F32U1X.png

You shouldn’t!

Boooo!! Hisss!! They add an excellent tension.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I think I like it better solo! As a big group activity I feel like there’s much better uses of my time, but as a thing to do on a Monday night while I’m listening to a podcast, it’s terrific

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever do it as a 4p. It's just too long. My current group is 3p, and we're a bit slow, but even that is exhausting. 2P might be ideal.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever do it as a 4p. It's just too long. My current group is 3p, and we're a bit slow, but even that is exhausting. 2P might be ideal.

4P isn't bad. The extra/harder enemies are a nuisance but we haven't had too many problems getting through a scenario within 2-3 hours.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    My local shop has a demo copy of Wingspan and I just tried it and really liked it

...and watched as someone bought their last copy while I was playing it

Guess I’ll get on that in 6-8 months, then

6F32U1X.png
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Aether wrote: »
    Any other Kiwis headed to Wellycon this weekend?

Brickcon is in Palmy this year, so my usual Queen's Birthday Weekend convention congestion is reduced by one. Unfortunately I'm still busy Saturday, so we'll have to see how the weekend goes if I can make it Sunday.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited May 2019

You shouldn’t!

Oh, whoops! I actually totally misread your intent there, apparently I was the only one who assumed you meant "including them in the first place". At one time that was a real debate, whether the new version changed the original tactics-less game for the worse. I like them, too.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I've been playing gloom Haven with four, and it works fine. We only get through one scenario per session, so the overall campaign progression is pretty slow, especially since most of the group has wives and or kids so we can't meet that often. Certain characters and abilities seem more valuable at different player counts, but imo that's fine.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Whew. Got through a decent amount of building the Firefly organizer today. I stopped again due to sound concerns, as some of the panels just were not going through properly. So much wood glue though.

I wanted this organizer for the longest time, because it is designed to be played out of. There's some setup pieces, sure, but each sale planet and each contact has a deck, and this organizer is designed so you can just pull out the sections you need. This is especially nice in terms of "priming the pump," a mechanic where you discard some elements of the shop because a player can always choose to buy goods or crew from the discard pile.

This is the redesigned version to support the latecoming misbehaving expansion. Unfortunately it doesn't really support the prop-size play money, but that's okay.

I have 5 more trays to assemble - the trays that hold the minis and the dice, and the setup & money trays.

6pbvIcBl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Alright what’s the pitch on Battle Line if I don’t know what “Knizia” is

Reiner Knizia is a boardgame designer, he’s made like 600 boardgames. He is known for making games typically with solid if a bit mathy mechanics, that are semi abstract and don’t always correlate to theme super well.

Battle line is a game he published with GMT. I can not think of an odder marriage of publisher and designer.

Battle line is themed to be a battle between two ancient armies. Mechanically there are nine lanes and a 60 card deck that has the numbers 1-10 in 6 different colors. (Every chef in unique.) Up to 3 cards can be played per lane. Straight flush beats 3 of a kind beats flush beats straight beats three singletons. If the same type is played then highest numerical total wins.

You play cards into lanes one at a time. You win the game if you win 3 adjacent lanes or 5 total lanes .Where things get interesting is that you can only win a lane if you can prove your opponent can not beat what you have down.

To explain. You might have 10-10-10 down on a lane, and I might have 1-2 of the same color opposite it. Until the 3 of the same color is played somewhere on the board, you can not claim to win that lane because I still have an out. But the second you can prove it the lane is yours.

You have a hand of 7 cards. When you play a card you either draw another soldier card or draw one of the ten tactics cards. You can only play n+1 tactics cards in a game where n is the number your opponent has played.

That’s it. It’s really simple but to me also really amazing how well it invokes other wargame concepts. Your hand of 7 card invoked limited command and control. The slow reveal of the enemy disposition invokes fog of war. The tactics cards clogging your hand invokes the opportunity cost of waiting for the right moment to trigger your gambit. The 3 in a row win rule invokes defeating a part of the enemy army in detail to cause a cascading route. The inability to move played cards invoke the loss of control of committed units in ancient warfare. The hands beating other hands invokes specific formations and veteran units. Etc.

It’s a great marriage of really simple rules that invoke the theme very well while also just being a great little 1v1 puzzler.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My local shop has a demo copy of Wingspan and I just tried it and really liked it

...and watched as someone bought their last copy while I was playing it

Guess I’ll get on that in 6-8 months, then

Ask to buy their demo copy at a discount! It's not like it's helping any sales if they can't get stock in.

MhCw7nZ.gif

You shouldn’t!

Oh, whoops! I actually totally misread your intent there, apparently I was the only one who assumed you meant "including them in the first place". At one time that was a real debate, whether the new version changed the original tactics-less game for the worse. I like them, too.

No, you got me right. I prefer to not include Tactics in the game, as it was in Schotten Totten (the original version with a tug-of-war theme rather than military). I wouldn't refuse to play with them, but I think there's plenty of game there without muddying the waters. Seems kind of analogous to wild cards in a poker game.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

You shouldn’t!

No, you got me right. I prefer to not include Tactics in the game, as it was in Schotten Totten (the original version with a tug-of-war theme rather than military). I wouldn't refuse to play with them, but I think there's plenty of game there without muddying the waters. Seems kind of analogous to wild cards in a poker game.

I don’t really agree that it is analogous at all as there is no opportunity cost to drawing a wild card in a poker game.

In Battleline it is a deliberate decision to draw one with the opportunity cost of not drawing a soldier, losing hand space until you play it, and allowing your opponent to play more tactics cards.

I mean analogous only in the sense of them being (to me) an unnecessary addition to a clean system of calculating odds and bluffing.

Oh god.

I just got 7th continent/what goes up and thunderstone quest/barricades delivered and dear lord these take up so much space. Both expansion boxes are the same size as their base games. On top of the recent birthday viticulture/Tuscany I have like 4' high of boardgame I need to find a home for.

My board game shelf is dead now.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Oh god.

I just got 7th continent/what goes up and thunderstone quest/barricades delivered and dear lord these take up so much space. Both expansion boxes are the same size as their base games. On top of the recent birthday viticulture/Tuscany I have like 4' high of boardgame I need to find a home for.

Did you get a shipping notification for 7th continent? I'm seriously considering just reselling my copy, my shelf space is negative, and am in the middle of 3-4 other 'Legacy' style games with the group I would play it with.

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I'm surprised this game hasn't hit my radar before. It looks like something I would enjoy a lot. BGG lists the playing time as 45-90 mins, is that about right?

Our first game, including set up, rules explanation, and play through with 3 players took 53 minutes. My friend, who won, took a really long strategy, and my fiancee and I weren't able to capitalize on our short-term strategies well enough to beat him, so even all that was probably a bit long for the game.

It's kind of a self-balancing prophecy. If someone is playing a long strategy, you want to go short. If someone is going short, you want to delay them and go long. The strategies of the game are very much dependent on board state and what each player is trying to accomplish in a way that just feels great. And the end game condition can come up extremely fast, so games could be even shorter.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I love Hansa. I've had some really long games but they were still fun. Whereas 4 player Navegador sort of crashed and burned when we took too long breaking into sector 2

sig.gif
    Oh god.

Did you get a shipping notification for 7th continent? I'm seriously considering just reselling my copy, my shelf space is negative, and am in the middle of 3-4 other 'Legacy' style games with the group I would play it with.

Yeah I did get an email letting me know it had shipped. I think the us distribution is going thru June according to their most recent update

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yay, organizer's done! It was quite satisfying, and now maybe I'll get this to the table or something. I certainly hope so, as it's a fun game!

Sadly, there's no place to put the prop money, like I said before. I was hoping there'd be some room under the lid, but with the boards in there to hold things snug, that ain't happening. I could use it to replace the standard money tray, but even that is used to lock in some things. Ah well.

qQ970Lsl.jpg

2W2hqWOl.jpg

Edit: Oh, this might still work. Still won't store properly, but at least I can still use the organizer.

TT6WXBcl.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Since I got burned - okay, burned myself - on failing to run a forum game of For-Ex, I just wanted to post an interest check on what would have been the next game on the schedule, Bus. Bus is a 1999 worker placement game by Splotter Spellen (makers of Food Chain Magnate) that recently got a 20th Anniversary edition announcement, to be published by Capstone Games (publishers of The Estates). It seemed interesting enough to want to try out, but I wanted to make sure there was enough interest before finalizing things and posting a thread. Sure, there's no real cost to putting up a thread, even if it doesn't go anywhere, but it still feels kind of bad. Anyways, feel free to post me a PM if you might be interested in trying it out, and if there's enough demand, I'll post a thread at the end of the upcoming weekend or thereabouts.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    We finally started playing our Arkham work group! We did the first scenario of the carcosa expansion and it was wild. 4 players really ups the craziness with 4 encounters for each mythos phase and this scenario threw a major wrench in the fundamental nature of how previous scenarios have functioned which was great for me and the other guy who's played through dunwich to understand how they're messing with the formula but it was also just a cool set up that our two new players could appreciate on face value.

I'm already very excited for this campaign. The set up here is spooky cool

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I also got my copy of all of the 7th Continent. Now to do all the fun parts: punching stuff out and sleeving 1800 cards. What’s that you say? The fun part is playing the game? That’s just crazy talk.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    This sleeve size is nonsense. I'm gonna have to special order then through work

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Spirit Island owners - did you sleeve your power cards? What's the insert situation with fully sleeved power cards, do they still fit?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I've never impulse bought a boardgame this expensive before, but hey, now I own a copy of Escape Plan with the KS upgrade pack. My first Lacerda game! Owned, anyway; I've played The Gallerist and liked it quite a bit.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I didn't sleeve and kind of wish I had. I removed the insert and use rubber bands for the cards

sig.gif
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Spirit Island owners - did you sleeve your power cards? What's the insert situation with fully sleeved power cards, do they still fit?

The owner of the copy I play didn't. They don't get shuffled that often.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social