As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I need to remember that for the next time I run across this

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I read the docs and I tried ESC+L (at the same time) and it didn't work, so Thawmus's secret sauce was do them in sequence

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    They have a policy of waiting a month before adding people to prod.

Sure I'll take a free two more weeks of not being responsible for anything important.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    so I'm doing some networking testing, needing external access so I have a laptop tethered to my phone using the cellular connection. It boggles my mind how inefficient cellular networks are. I'm doing a traceroute and the number of hops it takes just to get out of my carrier's network to the internet is absurd.

It's 8 hops to get to an internal router, and the 9th hop is finally the external facing router to connect to the wider internet.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So instead of an account manager for our accounting software we now have a customer success manager.

I didn't know that was a thing now.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    edited May 2019
    Me leaving freaked out my old company. They started doing market evaluations to give significant raises right after I left.

On one hand good for them. On the other it makes me feel far less valued.

Seidkona on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm noticing an increasing trend with various instructions on the Internet starting with the base assumption that you know way more about how to do something than they probably should. Not sure if I should chalk that up to the IT market leaning harder into specialization or what but it's becoming a sharp pain in the ass.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Me leaving freaked out my old company. They started doing market evaluations to give significant raises right after I left.

Having a lengthy exit interview and seeing the things that actually precipitated action from management versus those that actually feel important as far as reasons I left was... validating

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Manager quit, staff have started to do things like call local vendors and get quotes on colour printers for their offices. Unreal.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I've come across an odd issue on 4 different computers where a black or white bar appears on an active window and stays there until the program is taken out of full screen mode, system restarted, or the video buffer cleared.

3 of them are the same model of old Dell about 3-4 years old, the other is on a brand new Lenovo P330. The Dell's have AMD cards, the Lenovo uses on board Intel.
    - On the Lenovo the issue happens in Microsoft programs only - Explorer, IE, Word, Excel, Outlook. Fun part is that you can actually click straight onto the desktop when it is there as if the toolbar hasn't loaded.
    - On the Dells, the Issue happens in any program.
    - Drivers are fully up to date on all systems.
    - The issue will follow the input if the screens are swapped

It's simple to clear the issue, either put the program into full screen and back out of that is an option (Chrome F11), or clear the video buffer (CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B), just wondering if anyone has seen this before and whether there is a real fix.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I would feel the opposite: you single handedly forced them to give raises to people.

You could call previous coworkers and just tell them "you owe me."

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm assuming you guys saw this in the Computer Security thread, but it's not the current page anymore.

Chrome to limit full ad blocking extensions

It says that paid, enterprise versions are fine; but I suspect a few of you still use the "public" version(?)

Mugsley on
    I know exactly what I am doing 100% of the time.

ilwgy0p6abw6.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm assuming you guys saw this in the Computer Security thread, but it's not the current page anymore.

It says that paid, enterprise versions are fine; but I suspect a few of you still use the "public" version(?)

So back to Firefox it is, then?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've started the process of moving all my shit over to firefox. Man what a chore. Goddamnit google.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They have a policy of waiting a month before adding people to prod.

Sure I'll take a free two more weeks of not being responsible for anything important.

This is not too crazy. My new job has basically told me to not even try to be useful for a couple months.

What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2019
    Man why do I have so many chrome tabs.

Edit: Ok, now why do I have so many firefox tabs?

LD50 on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    LD50 wrote: »
    Man why do I have so many chrome tabs.

Edit: Ok, now why do I have so many firefox tabs?
    Because you’ve been rebuilding your entire PKI system and deploying certificates to all of your devices, at the same time as writing a bunch of scripts to deploy software, at the same time as setting up a new syslog server, at the same time as building an informational web page to query a database with tomorrow as the deadline, at the same time as updating your virtual environment. No wait, that’s why I have so many tabs open.

RandomHajile on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have successfully convinced people to upgrade to an active directory server at my workplace to manage our windows labs/run DNS instead of our 2011 mac mini. Huzzah!

Now I get a whole lot of other new stuff to learn wheee

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Me, two days ago: why the fuck isn't my if statement working?

Me, today: DAMN YOU, LOOSE TYPING! *goes back and explicitly declares every variable as Int*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mugsley wrote: »

Continuing to enjoy my DNS-level blocking with PiHole.

edited May 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have successfully convinced people to upgrade to an active directory server at my workplace to manage our windows labs/run DNS instead of our 2011 mac mini. Huzzah!

Oh

Oh no

Feral on

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    It looks like this former client is going to hire me, but I'm still thinking about next steps. Are y'all familiar at all with any good training for agile/scrum or PM stuff? A friend is telling me that the solid move is to get out of helpdesk-adjacent positions and shoot for something more along the lines of 'product champion'

alternatively, anyone looking for a sugar baby?

edited May 2019
    TL DR wrote: »
    It looks like this former client is going to hire me, but I'm still thinking about next steps. Are y'all familiar at all with any good training for agile/scrum or PM stuff? A friend is telling me that the solid move is to get out of helpdesk-adjacent positions and shoot for something more along the lines of 'product champion'

alternatively, anyone looking for a sugar baby?

Maybe go for PMP or CAPM ? I know there's some good resources for that on Udemy, but it's my wife that knows about those subjects.

Edit: This is the one she took for PMP, but I believe it's good enough for CAPM too.
    https://www.udemy.com/pmp-pmbok6-35-pdus/

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Oh

Oh no

With a backup solution and plans to expand next time around! Don't panic!

Oh

Oh no

Backup solution is a good thing, but note how long it takes for you to get your hardware.

That's how long you'll be down when there's a critical failure.

Oh

Oh no

Yeah, you got this.

Oh

Oh no

Good.

I love running into websites hosted by other medical organizations that require IE6.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Hey linux friends - running a cloud compute VM of Debian Jessie. Apparently whatever Google's apt-get source mirror was was depreciated and I am trying to change my sources.list to point to debian.org.

I have edited the file, saved it, but every time I run it it is still looking for the old GCE stuff and getting 403 errors. Do I have to go manually remove and reinstall those packages? Is there a cache of the list somewhere to flush?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. It was an extra, very deceptively labeled file in the sources.list.d folder. Deleted that and everything worked fine.

Mvrck on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Oh look we are out of toner because people use it and think the magical toner fairy will order more.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Oh look we are out of toner because people use it and think the magical toner fairy will order more.

I swear to god. My last job was the first one I had where I needed to work with normal users in a normal IT environment, rather than more specialized infrastructure.

One of my questions from this day forth will be, "In any way do you expect me to care about print toner?" That'll be a pass/fail step of job selection.

What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I always tell them toner replacement is the job function of whoever orders office supplies and just straight up refuse to handle it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Most office printers these days will order toner automatically if you let them. Even some of the dinky little networked Brother laserjets I work with have Amazon Dash built in. The Xeroxes have software running on a server reporting usage back to the leasing company as well as handling the toner orders.

Our CFO orders toner. They are serious penny pinchers so I don't have to worry about them delegating that responsibility.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Trust but verify.

I had a client with an HP printer (found your problem!) that was ordering ink every day regardless of how full it was. Of course he thought it was our fault.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Trust but verify.

I had a client with an HP printer (found your problem!) that was ordering ink every day regardless of how full it was. Of course he thought it was our fault.

I'm sure HP's stance was 'working as intended'.

PSN: jfrofl
    Radiation wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Trust but verify.

I'm sure HP's stance was 'working as intended'.

I'm sure from HP's stance it was.

Why in all the blazes would you have a printer that can order ink by itself?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »
    Why in all the blazes would you have a printer that can order ink by itself?

on managed copy machines (i.e. the Xerox, ricoh, etc of the world) it's great. You never have to think about it.

This discussion has been closed.