As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the PC game thread where we are still accountably talking about Baldur's Gate

ShortyShorty touching the meatIntergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Social Entropy++
Baldur's gate is a good game and I like it a lot

Shorty on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tube was being sarcastic, we're supposed to never mention baldur's gate again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

if they don't deliver Rare Replay, I swear...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no I'm gonna keep doing it, I want to talk more about how Neera sucked

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    How about Nalia though?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't honestly feel safe posting in a non-Brolo PC game thread

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Neera sucked but also so did a bunch of characters in the original game so I don't actually hold it against Beamdog that much

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Nalia also sucked in that white liberal way of "Oh I am helping the LITTLE PEOPLE"

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    How about Nalia though?

nalia's dialogue doesn't make me want to jump into a woodchipper

like she's believable as a clueless rich gal

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    As this got dropped right before the last thread closed

Regarding the Larian Baldur's Gate thing -

Jason Schreier, excellent reporter at Kotaku, said on ResetEra "In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit."

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Jaheria Was Good, Actually, Aerie was a creepy nerdbait fantasy, and I never romanced Viconia but she seems like she'd be into some kinky shit

Straightzi wrote: »

Neera sucked but also so did a bunch of characters in the original game so I don't actually hold it against Beamdog that much

I think her character concept is fine to good, if a bit trope-y

it's mainly in execution that she fails

and I do think that part of this is the VA, but I also doubt they were given great direction

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Jaheria Was Good, Actually, Aerie was a creepy nerdbait fantasy, and I never romanced Viconia but she seems like she'd be into some kinky shit

the kinda kinky shit she'd be into extends well beyond what a reasonable human would or should be ok with

Aerie is so terrible and I am way more okay with Neera than her

I romance Viconia every time

I like 'em mean

Also Anomen suxxxxxxxxxxx

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I remember I liked Aerie a lot.

But I was also 17. Doubt that would happen again now.

RIP Yoshimo

RIP Khalid

RIP Ajantis

Valygar is the most boring human in existence for having such an interesting backstory

Mazzy rulz ok

the thing about the annoying characters in BG2 is that you generally dislike them on a human level, you're reacting to their personalities

it's the difference between "I don't want to hang out with this person" and "this is a bad work of fiction"

RIP Yoshimo

RIP Khalid

RIP Ajantis

Valygar is the most boring human in existence for having such an interesting backstory

Mazzy rulz ok

mazzy kicks ass

the thing about the annoying characters in BG2 is that you generally dislike them on a human level, you're reacting to their personalities

it's the difference between "I don't want to hang out with this person" and "this is a bad work of fiction"

Yeah, I disliked Anomen but it's because he was an insufferable douchebag

Also I never really liked Keldorn but he had a nice ending, at least

same thing with Cernd, although his is very tragic.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think I would have a hard time with Baldurs Gate 2 now in general, not just because of the gameplay but because there's a lot more characters in it that I dislike than ones I enjoy.

It's weird that Minsc became the character from BG to break out, because really, Mazzy is right there

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Very into BGIII if it comes out. I wasn't the biggest fan of Divinity Original Sin 1 (though I did finish it, mostly because I generally play games to the end), but I really liked Divinity Original Sin 2. I have the Beamdog versions of BG and BG2 (and also my original discs of both, but no PC that can read discs anymore.), but I can't remember any of the new PCs (there was an evil half-orc paladin I believe? And a monk and a Wild Mage?).

Pillars of Eternity 1: I never got far into it. I will try to complete it at some point in the future.

Tyranny: I really enjoyed the beginning, but I felt railroaded in chapter 2 and onwards.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Hmm, hmm, let's see if I can do this:
    1. Mazzy
    2. Viconia
    3. Yoshimo
    4. Haer'Dalis
    5. Edwin
    6. Valygar
    7. Jaheira
    8. Korgan
    9. Jan
    10. Keldorn
    11. Cernd
    12. Nalia
    13. Minsc
    14. Imoen
    15. Aerie
    16. Anomen

My feelings have changed a lot over the years - Minsc used to be really high on my list, Mazzy and Viconia both used to be a lot lower. I didn't include Sarevok or any of the EE NPCs for reasons, but Sarevok would probably be mid to high, Neera and Rasaad would be around the middle, Hexxat would be mid to high, Dorn would be near the top, and Wilson would be above everyone else on this list.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    On Larian's writing ability, I thought the writing and tone for Divinity 2 was massively improved over the first. They largely dropped the ersatz Terry Pratchett tone and largely played things straight.

To me, they are a much better choice than Obsidian. At least with the Pilllars games, the writing was so constantly laser focused on the uber plot and the worldbuilding that you rarely had quests that featured interesting characters doing their own things out in the world.

Does anyone remember the Baldurs Gate novels? I only read the first one but I remember Khalid dies in that pretty gruesomely.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They brought on Chris Avellone to write for Divinity 2, right?

I read the first couple pages of the second one and noped out

I do think it kinda sucks that those are considered FR canon and the actual games aren't

I read the first couple pages of the second one and noped out

I do think it kinda sucks that those are considered FR canon and the actual games aren't

Yeah I definitely didn't like it. I think it was my first exposure to "Huh this deviates from the source material in a way I really hate!"

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I found these somewhere the other day, I like the art.

tumblr_pnf74lHz561rq0x9xo1_1280.jpg
    https://nklerwjrejhshaasl.tumblr.com/

BG1 Companions:
    tumblr_pps91iWWPG1rq0x9xo1_r1_1280.jpg

captaink on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I never played BG. I should. Most everyone I know has and they liked it.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I recommend everyone still playing BG series to install some mods.

Even friendship packs, adding series of dialogues to vanilla npcs improve atmosphere quiete a bit in my opinion.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure those are by Royko Kui, creator of Delicious in Dungeon, which rules

CYpGAPn.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Was Minsc ever really the character that broke out, or was it Boo?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Baldur's Gate novels were notoriously bad according to pretty much every RPG, videogame and book forum I ever been on. Enough to scare me off from never reading them.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man I forgot a remastered thing came out for 1 and 2.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Radius wrote: »
    Was Minsc ever really the character that broke out, or was it Boo?

As someone who never played Baulder's Gate, I've only ever heard of the hamster.

Mx. Quill on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Those are by the artist of Delicious in Dungeon, which is a pretty good manga.

is that the one where the main character is a vending machine

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's the one where a D&D party makes food out of the monsters they kill.

This discussion has been closed.