As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1/7/200EIGHT Update!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2008
    I'm very excited. Very excited.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have been waiting so very long for this. My hands will be trembling when I pick up my controller to customize my very first character.

mully on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I cannot wait to get my paws on this game.

I am very sad that there is no release date, but it is also a relief to know that the devs are not working under a heavy dead line. We wouldn't want another Obsidian fiasco

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Huzzah - I'm gone for a week and come back to updates.. Thanks Khoo!

On a slightly related note, I never received the emailed picture of the character I created on the RSPD demo at PAX :/ (that same demo, by the by, was sick! Did anyone else get to play it?

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2008
    Hmm - let me see what the devs have to say about the emailed character. But fear not, i get this feeling that this will eventually be ... resolved?

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    donquixotedonquixote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Your description of the development process makes me desire a Collector's Edition... Make it happen

donquixote on
    Pearl code - 2191 4194 9751
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Centipede: If I told you who was and wasn't in the game, i believe mike and jerry would castrate me.

Haha. I saw this and I was like "What?! I haven't posted in this thread yet!"... And then I realised that there's another person with a name that refers to a bug, but his is actually spelled right.

Khoo: You should give us a screenshot that shows the almost finalised graphics. You know, to compare to what we've seen before, and so we can talk about all the bloom. The game has bloom, right? Bloom makes games better as you add more on. If they want to sell more copies, tell them to add more bloooooooom.

Bloom.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, brown and gray.

MKR on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Huzzah - I'm gone for a week and come back to updates.. Thanks Khoo!

On a slightly related note, I never received the emailed picture of the character I created on the RSPD demo at PAX :/ (that same demo, by the by, was sick! Did anyone else get to play it?

Yeah, I didn't get mine and I had sent the email to a few people who didn't make it to PAX hoping to surprise them.

blerg. :/

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    1/7/2007 Update! :

Ahaha, oh Khoo, you're such a kidder.

Yeah Khoo, you kinda blew the date on this.

Also, as someone who works in video game QA at a senior level, you know where I am when you need me.

And you need me.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    oops. fixed!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The fabric of time is unfolding! We're doomed!

MKR on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I'm hoping this has a 2008 release, preferably sooner in 2008 than later but I'll take what I can get.

More importantly though, can you tell us Robert how this game will be distributed? Will it be digitally distributed? That would significantly decrease the time in between the game being done and my ability to play it.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I believe the game will be digital distribution

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Has there been any word on whether or not the game will be available through Steam? Personally, I don't see why they wouldn't, since Steam already shows PA strips and everything.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes, if it is indeed digitally distributed then of course my follow up question is how will it be digitally distributed. Will it be direct download like Sam & Max, which I think works great or will it just be Steam, which I also think works great.

Phanman on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oops. fixed!

And it only took you eight days! :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like Penny Arcade, and I like adventuring.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Why'd they get rid of the gear-based interface? I thought that was a neat look and fit really well.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    LightRider wrote: »
    Why'd they get rid of the gear-based interface? I thought that was a neat look and fit really well.

My guess is that with all the stuff going on in the interface it was easier for the player to have a clean & streamlined interface.

I liked the previous design myself, but this new design looks great and definitely easier to use. Perhaps it is even an interface skin option, who knows?

I predict that it will be part of a DLC package that will cost us lots of money! $2 for gear interface skin!

Phanman on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LightRider wrote: »

While the game has a steampunk element to it (from what I've read and seen), the bigger element to me is the concept that you are playing through a Penny Arcade comic adventure. So the thought of comic panels is something I'd want to sell more.

In the sense of usability, I think the newer interface is a lot less cluttered. To find a circle in a big design of circles isn't as intuitive or quick as finding a circle on a big panel. In addition to this, they appear to have changed the way the "team-up" attack works, meaning those buttons are integrated in the game more cleanly than having like five extra buttons on the interface.

Another thing I think is different is how they are handling the "summon" characters, and a cleaner side panel for them means more space for the main characters.

For comparison:
    254239_full.jpg
    ss7.jpg

From a designer's perspective, the first thing I see is that we are giving the player more information with fewer graphic elements, making the ui cleaner and more informative, but what really strikes me about the second screenshot is that I see it and absolutely know it is Penny-Arcade, from the borders to the big character graphics to the font, it screams PA, undoubtedly.

The first one gave me an impression that it was a game based on PA, but not necessarily at PA game, if you see where I am going. It's a subtle difference, but an important one to me.

EDIT: (fewer, not less, elements)

NotASenator on
  • Options
    HH JoelHH Joel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NotACrook, you pretty well hit the nail on the head in terms of what we were thinking with the last rev of the interface.

Joel

HH Joel on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    I know the FAQ says the pricing will be "under $20", but has there been any recent updates or decisions on that? Would the cash price for the PC version be equivalent to MS points for the XBLA version?

Basically, I'm saying I've got a bit of a stash of points from Christmas presents and I want to know how many to hold aside for this game. Can I take "under $20" to mean that if I've got 1600 points saved, I should be good?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It is safe to say that if you have 1600 points saved, you'll be good.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Is it planned to be on XBLA and (various) computers at the same time, or can you not say at this time (for whatever out of a million reasons such as undecided or secret)

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure if "secret" is the right word, but we are working on both versions simultaneously right now. I'd personally love it if they shipped at the same time.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008

Awesome, thanks.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just saw the gameplay videos on Gametrailers.

I want badly. I'm a whore for when RPGs mix up attacks Paper Mario/FF8-style.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I use the PSN Marketplace more than the XBLA, will it be sold on there as well?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I use the PSN Marketplace more than the XBLA, will it be sold on there as well?

I will likely be playing it on PC as I expect it will only initially be available on PC and XBLA. (I'm a PSWii owner) However if it was available on PSN I would likely pick it up there instead.

Phanman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They haven't announced anything for the PS3 yet, but in the questions for the devs thread, Vlad said:
    HH Vlad wrote: »
    Our philosophy at Hothead is that you play our games on the system of your choice--within reason. I made the mistake of mentioning that at PAX and now half the company is working on the Jaguar version . . . .

We are a smaller company and, despite it being filled with amazingly smart people, there is only so much we can do. As we are certain that we can deliver a great experience on additional systems, we will make the appropriate announcements. Stay tuned . . . .

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know that there's no comment on distribution beyond what's been said but my wallet would fully support any sort of physical collectors edition.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know that there's no comment on distribution beyond what's been said but my wallet would fully support any sort of physical collectors edition.

I would purchase such a product as well.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    this is pretty exciting
    I hadn't realized it'd be a point & click RPG: at first, I felt mild dissapointment.

You know, like, "dude Final Fantasy & I are so over that".

About 2 seconds later I woke up & realized: it was awesome, and they were setting up attacks well in advance--it wasn't just... point.... click.... use your strongest attack.... use your strongest attack.... etc. It seemed like it was smooth & quick to select your attacks & maneuvers

streever on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It is semi-turn based. I believe the official terminology is an "active" battle system.

Phanman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, here's a question I haven't seen asked... even if the game isn't released on PSN initially, can we expect a PS3 version when the game hits retail?

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Soups wrote: »
    Okay, here's a question I haven't seen asked... even if the game isn't released on PSN initially, can we expect a PS3 version when the game hits retail?

A few posts above yours:
    NotACrook wrote: »
    They haven't announced anything for the PS3 yet, but in the questions for the devs thread, Vlad said:
    HH Vlad wrote: »
    Our philosophy at Hothead is that you play our games on the system of your choice--within reason. I made the mistake of mentioning that at PAX and now half the company is working on the Jaguar version . . . .

We are a smaller company and, despite it being filled with amazingly smart people, there is only so much we can do. As we are certain that we can deliver a great experience on additional systems, we will make the appropriate announcements. Stay tuned . . . .

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah... well, yeah. So the question HAS been asked, it just hasn't been answered?

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

I would purchase such a product as well.

You and me three, pal.

Khoo, can you at this point speculate in the console issue:
    Let's say this product releases on the X360 and PS3.
    Would there be European releases for said consoles as well or will us Europeans (Swedes, namely) have to rely on the PC to actually play these one's and zero's of awesome?

Chokehold on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Considering the general engine is complete, I'm assuming it will be a lot easier to develop new episodes in the future.

So far, I like the mechanics displayed in the videos.

Meiz on