As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just typed out a gigantic post and deleted it because it was a very very long way of saying:

I got home last night after work and my wife said she had to show me something, and I said wait the new DEATH STRANDING trailer is out, and it's 9 minutes long, and could you just wait so I can watch it. So she sat next to me and we watched it and when it ended I babbled about theories and my ideas and what it could mean and then said "Ok what did you want to show me", and she showed me a positive pregnancy test.

We've been trying for 7 months and not being pregnant became so routine I didn't even think to ask the past few months.

But the real kicker is - like most people I think? - we kinda didn't believe it, so we took another digital one. It read "ERROR". So I went to Target and got a pack of ClearBlue ones. We get back home.

The "control line" doesn't show up, which means the test is invalid. So we try the other in the pack. Same thing.

So we have 1 positive and 3 errors. She woke up in the middle of the night with bad cramping which sent us all into a panic but we're just gonna see what happens and she's going to call her doctor today.

I'm just at work like, wondering how people function with all this going on.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just typed out a gigantic post and deleted it because it was a very very long way of saying:

I got home last night after work and my wife said she had to show me something, and I said wait the new DEATH STRANDING trailer is out, and it's 9 minutes long, and could you just wait so I can watch it. So she sat next to me and we watched it and when it ended I babbled about theories and my ideas and what it could mean and then said "Ok what did you want to show me", and she showed me a positive pregnancy test.

We've been trying for 7 months and not being pregnant became so routine I didn't even think to ask the past few months.

But the real kicker is - like most people I think? - we kinda didn't believe it, so we took another digital one. It read "ERROR". So I went to Target and got a pack of ClearBlue ones. We get back home.

The "control line" doesn't show up, which means the test is invalid. So we try the other in the pack. Same thing.

So we have 1 positive and 3 errors. She woke up in the middle of the night with bad cramping which sent us all into a panic but we're just gonna see what happens and she's going to call her doctor today.

I'm just at work like, wondering how people function with all this going on.

https://out.reddit.com/t3_um37v?url=http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpytnpIaT91qa996mo1_500.png&token=AQAAg97vXNmfFDSl7UZxacfSpAKJHRX3uHolh7x1eZu-LMXxoOrR&app_name=mweb2x

steam_sig.png
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    My daughter does it right the hell in front of my face. :P
    Mine too... and in a language I largely don't understand. Actually it's usually obvious because she's whispering, she picks up that I can understand some of what she's saying, so she attempts to speak low and evade my ears.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal has a comic about naps today:

1559137416-OpenBordersBonus-2%20(1).png

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    My kids are way better behaved for either of us solo than when we're both there.
    I think they start exploding with possibilities and can now do things with either parent. Beyond that, they seem to get that two of us have way more attention than one, so they cause more trouble.

Do they also do that negotiating thing where they first try with one parent and then ask the other? We try to be one front, but sometimes we aren't and then I can hear my kid savoring that 50% illegal extra cookie with twice the OM NOM NOM sounds.

We'd been home from the hospital for I think, three days? And the kiddo wanted to sleep in the bed with us instead of the arm's reach co-sleeper beside the bed. So he complained, he cried, I came around to that side of the bed, and told him mom was right there, and she put her hand on him, and I told him he had to stay in the co-sleeper thing. Then I walked around to my side and laid back down. Count to five, he starts tugging on her arm, making sad noises, she says that I'd already told him no, and that he had to stay where he was, and that she was right there.

I didn't know a week old baby could sigh like a teenager.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2019
    My kids are way better behaved for either of us solo than when we're both there.
    I think they start exploding with possibilities and can now do things with either parent. Beyond that, they seem to get that two of us have way more attention than one, so they cause more trouble.

Do they also do that negotiating thing where they first try with one parent and then ask the other? We try to be one front, but sometimes we aren't and then I can hear my kid savoring that 50% illegal extra cookie with twice the OM NOM NOM sounds.

My daughter does it right the hell in front of my face. :P If she asks me for something and I say no she will walk over to the next-nearest adult and ask. She'll turn and say to them "please can I have the thing?" and I'm like "I just said no." And she'll look at me and look back at them and say "pleeeease?" And they'll say "your mother said no, you have to listen to that." And she'll look at them with her big 2 1/2-year-old baby blue puppy-dog eyes and say "pleeeeese?"

I remember trying that once with my parents. I wanted some chocolate biscuits, and Mum said no. So I went and asked Dad. He also said no. Then about 5 minutes later he found out I'd already been told no by Mum.

The whole packet of biscuits went straight in the bin and we didn't get another packet of the same for at least a year.

I learned my lesson!

Oh, they bought them.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

My daughter does it right the hell in front of my face. :P If she asks me for something and I say no she will walk over to the next-nearest adult and ask. She'll turn and say to them "please can I have the thing?" and I'm like "I just said no." And she'll look at me and look back at them and say "pleeeease?" And they'll say "your mother said no, you have to listen to that." And she'll look at them with her big 2 1/2-year-old baby blue puppy-dog eyes and say "pleeeeese?"

I remember trying that once with my parents. I wanted some chocolate biscuits, and Mum said no. So I went and asked Dad. He also said no. Then about 5 minutes later he found out I'd already been told no by Mum.

The whole packet of biscuits went straight in the bin and we didn't get another packet of the same for at least a year.

I learned my lesson!

Oh, they bought them.

We actually had fuck-all money when I was growing up, and us kids had free reign of the house from the end of school until Mum got home from work at 5:45. If there were chocolate biscuits, I would have found them. Hell, our parents used to hide presents for us at their friends houses.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the positive words, guys. Going to try and stay positive it'll get better.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    If Niko naps, he will absolutely not go to sleep before 9:30 pm.

If he doesn’t nap, he goes to sleep by 8:00 pm.

Obviously we like to know if he’s napped or not, because it means the difference between lying down with him in frustration for 2+ hours vs not. But Mori’s parents were getting pissed at us asking, because gosh darn he should be able to fall asleep regardless of his nap and it’s us who are failing at bedtime, it’s nothing to do with them!

So we’ve been asking Niko himself. Trouble is, yesterday he did not nap and he told us he had. We duly put him to bed later and he was grumpy and overtired, then wouldn’t wake up this morning.
    I got to Mori’s parents and he was still grumpy and he was rude to them (which they cannot stand, and blame us for) soooooo of course they asked what time he went to bed and I got in trouble for that.

Welp, we just got positive test #2. So I think this is happening?

Excited but scared, of course. She called her OB who said "Great! See you at 10 weeks!"

We estimate this is week 3ish.

So 7 weeks of just...freaking out over ever cramp, hiccup, ache or pain I guess?!

...I also imagine this is just the very first "Wait why is no one telling us what to do?!" of many between now and...oh, 18 years from now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    If Niko naps, he will absolutely not go to sleep before 9:30 pm.

If he doesn’t nap, he goes to sleep by 8:00 pm.

Obviously we like to know if he’s napped or not, because it means the difference between lying down with him in frustration for 2+ hours vs not. But Mori’s parents were getting pissed at us asking, because gosh darn he should be able to fall asleep regardless of his nap and it’s us who are failing at bedtime, it’s nothing to do with them!

So we’ve been asking Niko himself. Trouble is, yesterday he did not nap and he told us he had. We duly put him to bed later and he was grumpy and overtired, then wouldn’t wake up this morning.
    I got to Mori’s parents and he was still grumpy and he was rude to them (which they cannot stand, and blame us for) soooooo of course they asked what time he went to bed and I got in trouble for that.

Our kid around Niko's age will "lie" to us about whether she has napped or not. And then argue with us if the daycare provider tells us otherwise.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Excited but scared, of course. She called her OB who said "Great! See you at 10 weeks!"

So 7 weeks of just...freaking out over ever cramp, hiccup, ache or pain I guess?!

...I also imagine this is just the very first "Wait why is no one telling us what to do?!" of many between now and...oh, 18 years from now.

Man, my wife had some spotting in the first couple months, and we freaked the fuck out.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I was so surprised when I contacted maternity care providers and no one wanted to see me until 12 weeks

I was so surprised when I contacted maternity care providers and no one wanted to see me until 12 weeks

I assume they wait because the first couple weeks are the highest chance of a miscarriage? Wouldn't it be better to have a meeting with your maternity care provider so you can be prepared for it going wrong early, maybe have a contact if you feel the need to find someone to talk to about it? I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but I feel like America keeps fucking it up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Brody wrote: »

Man, my wife had some spotting in the first couple months, and we freaked the fuck out.

Sincerely thanks for sharing this.

She's cramping bad and google is the devil. Everything from "thats normal" to "Oh youre screwed".

While I know not to take any story to mean everything will be fine, it's also very comforting to know experiences run the gamut and not everything will be an emergency.

If anyone has any helpful apps or webpages with good info, I'd love that!

She's cramping bad and google is the devil. Everything from "thats normal" to "Oh youre screwed".

While I know not to take any story to mean everything will be fine, it's also very comforting to know experiences run the gamut and not everything will be an emergency.

Yeah, our OBGYN said there wasn't really anything to be done to make it better, but that avoiding intercourse would help not make it worse.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Though I forget the app name I used. The book “What to expect when expecting “ was helpful. And I see they now have an app.

50433.png?1708759015
    NO ONE told me that spotting is no big deal until after I went to the ER and incurred a $5,200 bill ($9,100 to insurance, $4,500 + $600 interest to me). So, yes, please don’t worry about a little spotting.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oof. Got wait-listed for all of my choices for our city's free 3k program. Now I get to wait and see if I get a spot, or if I have to keep paying $2k/mo for daycare next year instead of having him go to a school program.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Enjoy this moment because once you announce this won't be a problem because everyone will tell you what to do, and each quarter will disagree with the other three quarters and they'll all be on average 10% wrong.

I know I shouldn't be so cynical, and most people genuinely mean well. Being a first-time parent is stressful. There are times you need to consult someone (a friend, pro, whatever) and times you need to go with your gut, and the biggest challenge for me has been figuring out which is which before I drive myself (and his teachers) insane.

I assume they wait because the first couple weeks are the highest chance of a miscarriage? Wouldn't it be better to have a meeting with your maternity care provider so you can be prepared for it going wrong early, maybe have a contact if you feel the need to find someone to talk to about it? I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but I feel like America keeps fucking it up.

Yes, that was the reason given! But yeah, I would also assume people would want the support in the first trimester, *especially* if there was a risk of miscarriage, or even just to determine if someone was high risk!

Like... I don’t recall them asking me questions over the phone except for when my last period was. No discussion of my age/weight/any medical conditions, etc.

There wasn’t even any mention of taking prenatal vitamins or folic acid.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Enjoy this moment because once you announce this won't be a problem because everyone will tell you what to do, and each quarter will disagree with the other three quarters and they'll all be on average 10% wrong.

I know I shouldn't be so cynical, and most people genuinely mean well. Being a first-time parent is stressful. There are times you need to consult someone (a friend, pro, whatever) and times you need to go with your gut, and the biggest challenge for me has been figuring out which is which before I drive myself (and his teachers) insane.

But hey, we're always here and 100% awesome. Feel free to rant, rave, whine, cry for help, complain about kids or grandparents, or just vent. We're all here for each other.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Congrats. Your life is over.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    also, about to begin

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    congrats @mxmarks !!!

The cramping she's feeling could easily be implantation of the zygote into the uterine wall. This may be accompanied by some spotting. If there is, it's normal. If there isn't, it's also normal.

Every single woman has a different experience than others. Let me correct that. Every pregnancy is a different experience. Enjoy every bit that you can, it's ok to hate the bits that suck.

And remember we're here for you, and your partner/wife if she needs us. We've got somebody at most points of longitude and latitude here so somebody is almost always awake.

Welcome, my friend, to the party that never ends (no really. it doesn't).

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Do yourself a huge favor and block WebMD if you can, and maybe all of the other sites that take a list of symptoms and tell you you might have something, because there's nothing that spikes your anxiety worse than seeing all the things that might have happened. I've been there- I have a condition by the name of Bell's palsy, where sometimes half of my face likes to freeze up and there's nothing I can do except wait for it to pass. I googled the symptoms and spent thirty-six straight hours thinking I was going to have or had a damned stroke before the doctor told me otherwise.

Talk to people who have been there, and if you have to, call your doctor and see what they say, then go in and get looked at if they think you ought to get checked up.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Also, and this is probably next to useless advice, but try really hard not to stress about it. Well, you can stress all you want, try and help her not stress. Stress is never helpful.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I was quite happy with Ovia parenting apps, because of their clear design abdshort and to-the-point text. This is their app for pregnancy https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovuline.pregnancy , but they also have one for when baby arrives.

One thing that kept messing with us is that a lot of info is written as "dAy 45, tOdAy YoUr bAbY cAn dO a 180" and then it gets to day 50 and baby would still not do it and we'd feel like baby had development issues. I could always rationalize it, but I wasn't dealing with ALL THE HORMONES. It is difficult to keep in mind that it is all biology and every creature grows in its own unique way and all apps just mean that "most babies start doing X around this time".

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was quite happy with Ovia parenting apps, because of their clear design abdshort and to-the-point text. This is their app for pregnancy https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovuline.pregnancy , but they also have one for when baby arrives.

One thing that kept messing with us is that a lot of info is written as "dAy 45, tOdAy YoUr bAbY cAn dO a 180" and then it gets to day 50 and baby would still not do it and we'd feel like baby had development issues. I could always rationalize it, but I wasn't dealing with ALL THE HORMONES. It is difficult to keep in mind that it is all biology and every creature grows in its own unique way and all apps just mean that "most babies start doing X around this time".

It's true. Ours could barely Ollie at that point

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular

My wife has been looking at a bunch of apps like that for our small one (about over 7 months now! Time flies.)

Something I think is important to remember is that all kids do develop in different speeds and order - some learn to sit early, while some might learn to roll around first etc. And that's fine!

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
    Those apps are terrible. Terrible. Both my kids were overdue. "Your baby is two weeks old today!"

YOU HEAR THAT? GET OUT YOU TINY LITTLE ASSHOLE I WAS OVER THIS THREE MONTHS AGO

edited May 2019
    Those apps are terrible. Terrible. Both my kids were overdue. "Your baby is two weeks old today!"

YOU HEAR THAT? GET OUT YOU TINY LITTLE ASSHOLE I WAS OVER THIS THREE MONTHS AGO

Hahaha seriously! I didn’t have an app but I remember checking my email when I was a week past due and seeing the headline ‘What Your One Week Old Is Up To’ you mean the little brat still very comfortable in my womb?!

Anya’s writing and reading so much these days. I think not having homework this year has really helped. She is super motivated when left to work at her own pace.

She wrote this (we never assist her) to her best friend from California. Riley and Anya have been friends since Anya was 18 months and Riley was 4. Only two spelling mistakes! And I’m glad she corrected ‘there’ to ‘they are’ herself.
    2019-05-30%2021.35.47.jpg

Janson on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

I heard that the 2nd daughter of the baker's wife's best friend's sister already did handstands at that point, so.......

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    No joke don't read anything online about your kids nothing. If you have a random question come here and here alone.

If you want unbiased medical advice get the Mayo Clinic book.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    You’ll figure everything out that you need to. For now, though, squeeze in them naps and date nights. They’ll cost a bit more once babby shows up

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I low-key loved finding out what fruit or vegetable my growing kids were the size of. It was about the only corny thing I liked about online growth information. Yes, I have a kiwi this week.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Luiane wrote: »

My wife has been looking at a bunch of apps like that for our small one (about over 7 months now! Time flies.)

Something I think is important to remember is that all kids do develop in different speeds and order - some learn to sit early, while some might learn to roll around first etc. And that's fine!

My kid is two and a half, doesn't speak much, refuses to eat anything that isn't basically pudding/puree consistency, and is nearly able to remember the password to unlock my phone, plays along with the "games" his toys have ("find the red parrot!" **clickclickclick** "You found the red parrot"), understands taking the stool to wash his hands, and can sit around an entire day just sorting blocks or eggs or whatever by color, shape, picture, etc. Just for examples.

Kids are weird fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Thanks everyone so, so much. This forum is truly incredible. I'm sure I'll absolutely be frequent in this thread...well forever now I guess?...hopefully going from the one who won't stop asking questions to someone who can ultimately answer them.

Last night was fun. She is still kind of in a state of shock, so insisted on ONE MORE pregnancy test. I drove out and got yet another. And it was another positive.

Which kicked off "Ok well the champagne we've been saving for me starting my new job next week? I guess its yours now."

...so I'm SLIGHTLY groggy today but wow what an exciting night.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The only advice you should listen to is the one you actually ASKED for.

Everyone will offer you unasked for advice. Ignore them, tell them to shut up.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    I used the Flo Period Tracker app and it has a pregnancy setting. Gave some interesting info. Once baby arrived, I used the Baby 411 book. LOVED THAT THING. It’s not a parenting book, it’s all about the different developmental stages and what is normal, what is not, what warrants a call to the dr and what can wait. It definitely stresses that each kid is different and will hit milestones in their own time and instead of “your kid will do this by this time”, the book gave timeframes for milestones, “between here and here kiddo might start xyz”. It really saved my sanity so many times.

This discussion has been closed.