As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I would argue it's part of a larger labor movement across the country (at least in the US), with teacher strikes, adjunct unions, uber/lyft strikes. It's time to swing that pendulum hard back to worker rights, and game dev is certainly part of that.

Thankfully, with this economy, it is a good time for that. Employers want to hold on to good employees.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I would argue it's part of a larger labor movement across the country (at least in the US), with teacher strikes, adjunct unions, uber/lyft strikes. It's time to swing that pendulum hard back to worker rights, and game dev is certainly part of that.

Thankfully, with this economy, it is a good time for that. Employers want to hold on to good employees.

Employers tend to define "good" employees as "employees who will smile and thank me for what scraps we give them, and not ask for more."

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Employers tend to define "good" employees as "employees who will smile and thank me for what scraps we give them, and not ask for more."

Ehhhh, talented software devs can basically go wherever these days. There's a serious shortage in many spots in the US. Same for data folks.
    There's plenty of shitty companies, but there's a lot improving benefits/work-life balance to net the best people as above a certain pay band that's what people start differentiating on.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    schuss wrote: »

Ehhhh, talented software devs can basically go wherever these days. There's a serious shortage in many spots in the US. Same for data folks.
    There's plenty of shitty companies, but there's a lot improving benefits/work-life balance to net the best people as above a certain pay band that's what people start differentiating on.

Yeah but the folks crunching the numbers don't care about actual skill, they just care about how many hours they can get out of someone for as little as possible.

Burnout has been a problem in games for decades, but it hasn't really affected those at the top because there's always fresh new faces willing to destroy themselves for low pay because they're passionate about making games.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Yeah but the folks crunching the numbers don't care about actual skill, they just care about how many hours they can get out of someone for as little as possible.

Burnout has been a problem in games for decades, but it hasn't really affected those at the top because there's always fresh new faces willing to destroy themselves for low pay because they're passionate about making games.

Also video game companies workforce tends to be young staffed with people who really don't know what a "normal" programing environment should be like so its a lot easier to just hand wave everything as "totally normal crunch time".

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    *Drums fingers waiting on response from E3 appointment request email to CD Projekt Red* It's been a week. :bigfrown:

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

This is true for in demand dev skills. But at the trends we've seen, there will always be developers willing to make video games at almost any salary. The change we need is for fewer skilled folks to head to games for a sustained amount of time to correct the labor demand/supply.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

Maybe some, not all.

EDIT: Well, not 'maybe' some

Bigity on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is true for in demand dev skills. But at the trends we've seen, there will always be developers willing to make video games at almost any salary. The change we need is for fewer skilled folks to head to games for a sustained amount of time to correct the labor demand/supply.

Well, given the popularity and profit of longer lived games with more frequent changes like Fortnite and LoL, there will be more call for modern, flexible architecture. That architecture usually means planning features and modules well and effectively using middleware and modern infrastructure to deliver. These are largely incompatible with crunch, so just as Japanese developers started losing out to the more efficient game dev practices elsewhere, so too will large companies.
    All you have to do is read the Anthem stuff to see how quickly cash can be burned on bad practice with no sustainable success in sight.
    It will take a while, but it will happen.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say crunch time is pretty much in any industry with development. Maybe things like financial institutions don’t have it as severe as the red tape on releases is strict enough it actually prevents crunch from being effective.

I don’t work in gaming but I’ve had strings of days where I start at 9-10 am and work till 5am the following morning and then back at work for 9-10am. Sometimes for 3-4 days in a row. I’m not even a developer. It definitely takes a toll, and I’m kinda useless for the days after that crunch as my brain is mush

Every investment deal has a horrible crunch period. Its actually built into those deals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Actual Cyberpunk news:
    "To answer many questions about the demo and whether or not @CyberpunkGame will be playable at E3 - we are going to be hosting gameplay presentations (game played by us) in that cinema."

So who knows if it'll be released this year or if this was wrong:
    Territory Studio - who worked on the logo for the game - said Cyberpunk 2077 has a “2019 release” in a now deleted post (via Reddit).

Describing Cyberpunk 2077, the post said: “An ambitious open-world game, Territory came on board Cyberpunk 2077 to support brand and marketing with a logo ident and graphics package.

“Working closely with CD Projekt, we referenced a retro punk aesthetic that alludes to the attitude and energy of the game.

“Unveiled at E3 2018, we look forward to a 2019 release.”

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That would be nice. Unlikely as it seems.

You know, I'm not super find of games being announced and shown so far ahead of launch. I remember when Fallout 4 was unveiled. It was out six months later. That was cool. (Even if it wasn't the best game ever and stupid Pip-Boys and whatnot. Still.)

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    That would be nice. Unlikely as it seems.

You know, I'm not super find of games being announced and shown so far ahead of launch. I remember when Fallout 4 was unveiled. It was out six months later. That was cool. (Even if it wasn't the best game ever and stupid Pip-Boys and whatnot. Still.)

I only get it from CDPR because after Witcher 3, people were curious on a fanatic level what they were working on next. Also I think the company as a whole was jazzed they got to make a game with Mike Pondsmith. If they waited until 6 months from release, CDPR would be silent for years with nothing to show, which might be just as bad.

And I've always been okay with an early 2020 release. Give them some extra time to avoid heavy crunch, and the year is a significant one for Cyberpunk.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting into Witcher 3, so I might be done with it by the time this comes out. Probably not, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm finally getting into Witcher 3, so I might be done with it by the time this comes out. Probably not, though.

I'm still trying to get through my replay of Witcher so I can start Witcher 2 and then play through Wicther 3 :P

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I gave up on both of those and just viewed the cliff notes recaps online, saving myself an estimated 200+ hours.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I played through the Witcher 3 without having ever finished 1 or 2, and while there are some things you'll be left wondering about, for the most part the game tells you what you need to know. I'd still recommend playing them if you have the desire as I think some of the stuff that happens in 3 will be more meaningful.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I hope they take good and long to make the game with no crunch and plenty of QA time.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There will always be some kind of crunch in software development. In software development, features are often bottlenecked behind features programmed by other teams. Sometimes you need to tell your programmers to shit or get off the pot so that team B can get to work.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm sure there will always be crunch, but crunch also doesn't work because forcing people to work longer hours just reduces their total output/time worked and causes an enormous decrease in product quality, leading to an overall time loss as now resources must be diverted to fix or redo the sub-par work.

The 40 hour workweek isn't even effective - you'll only get about 30 productive hours out of the average person.

• Options
    "there has to be crunch".
    Nah. Lots of major software makers do it without crunch.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just retitle this thread the Captain Crunch thread already

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://youtu.be/_iiOEQOtBlQ

So whats new with, cyberpunk? Or are we being meta and complaining about megacorps acting like poopsocks?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular
    Obligatory Office Space:

"I see you've been missing a lot of work."

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!"

And a reminder, please put cover sheets on all your TPS reports.

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    https://youtu.be/_iiOEQOtBlQ

So whats new with, cyberpunk? Or are we being meta and complaining about megacorps acting like poopsocks?

I would be entirely happy with a conversation about Cyberpunk in general. I just finished Neuromancer and, along with Ghost In the Shell, I get why the Matrix just happened to appear.

As far as complaining about Megacorps, I direct you to the D&D forum.

Also E3 is around the corner, and so we will get new information.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I feel I need more dark neon in the rain in my life.
    Sidenote: the Spotify playlist of retrowave/outrun is fantastic for cyberpunk moods

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Sidenote: the Spotify playlist of retrowave/outrun is fantastic for cyberpunk moods

I like to listen to it when I think about shadowrun and get salty that if it ever gets a big budget game it will be accused of stealing from this and people will hate that it is a mixture of magic/ technology .

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

I like to listen to it when I think about shadowrun and get salty that if it ever gets a big budget game it will be accused of stealing from this and people will hate that it is a mixture of magic/ technology .

I know Gibson had an opinion or two on it, "When I see things like Shadowrun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves."

edit- I love me some Shadowrun, but I do know more than a few people who hate the idea of mixing magic and Cyberpunk. Personally I'm a sucker for the Magic + [insert setting here] formula.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Shadowrun is neat as it's a world where neither magic nor technology have primacy, but pure cyberpunk is a-ok with me. My favorite part of Gibson was when the AIs got loose and everyone was worried, but they're like "f off and leave us alone".

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I wish the Shadowrun games were still available for Android.

• Options
    Also Ruiner is a very fun Hotline Miami styled action game with a very, very good OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klwTaDrYxuM&list=PL3MEftkC6gmOgzvucjVRELDwdxBPjJmpW&index=3&t=0s

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I know Gibson had an opinion or two on it, "When I see things like Shadowrun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves."

edit- I love me some Shadowrun, but I do know more than a few people who hate the idea of mixing magic and Cyberpunk. Personally I'm a sucker for the Magic + [insert setting here] formula.

I remember the first time I read Neuromancer, after having been a Shadowrun fan for many years. The influence on FASA was.... noticeable. But yeah, I also really like the magic parts of Shadowrun and think it really helps to make it unique.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Talk about cyberpunk music is going to make me fire up a bunch of Magic Sword today, I just know it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Also Ruiner is a very fun Hotline Miami styled action game with a very, very good OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klwTaDrYxuM&list=PL3MEftkC6gmOgzvucjVRELDwdxBPjJmpW&index=3&t=0s

I've seen this on sale on the Xbox store a half-dozen times (it's a Play Anywhere title on top of that). Reviews aren't very good for it though. :confused:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    https://youtu.be/MkgR0SxmMKo

Neon over metal over greasepen fonts, mmmmm.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    All the cyberpunk stuff makes me wish Moonbeam City didn't get cancelled so early. MBC was more 80s than cyberpunk, but if you just put a gritty filter on everything and set it in Neo-Tokyo or something, it'd have been perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7YzUBLZpcw

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I really miss American City Hunter with hornier characters and an unshakable commitment to its aesthetic.

LASER MINING!

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I've seen this on sale on the Xbox store a half-dozen times (it's a Play Anywhere title on top of that). Reviews aren't very good for it though. :confused:

They have no idea what they're talking about. It's good, fun and flashy.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Unquestionably the best cyberpunk music in my mind is the NeoTokyo soundtrack:

http://0edit.com.au/neotokyo/

A close second place belongs to the soundtracks for Frozen Synapse and its expansion + sequel:

https://nervoustestpilot.co.uk/album/frozen-synapse-original-soundtrack

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So is Moonbeam City basically Archer, but set in Robocop world?