As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How quickly do hotels sell out at PAX?

2»

• Options
    Cypher3754Cypher3754 Registered User regular
    I have found it much easier, both in stress level and fuel to get a hotel outside the downtown area for much cheaper ( by 50%). I booked a hotel for 100/ night in Seatac. The light rail is a cheap source of transportation into Seattle and I don't have to worry about the traffic.

• Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    Okay, is it me or were the hotels more expensive this year? Admittedly, I have not gotten a hotel for PAX before (until this year! But not with the PAX rate), but I had been budgeting about $250 a night, including fees and taxes. When I checked just now, the hotel we had originally wanted to stay at was $265/night! Is it just me or were the hotels this year more expensive?

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    midna wrote: »
    Okay, is it me or were the hotels more expensive this year? Admittedly, I have not gotten a hotel for PAX before (until this year! But not with the PAX rate), but I had been budgeting about $250 a night, including fees and taxes. When I checked just now, the hotel we had originally wanted to stay at was $265/night! Is it just me or were the hotels this year more expensive?

They are more expensive but not as much. In my case I wanted to stay at the Crowne plaza. Last year it was around $188/night and this year it's $193/night.

It depends on the hotel and occupancy too, as well as those nifty tourism fees (I think those are the bigger factors). but I don't think the nightly rates got ridiculously jacked up in price or anything.

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

The Sheraton listed rate for a King went up $10 a night. And after taxes and fees, it's $11.56 more per night. Which, at %4.53 is more than inflation.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular

They are more expensive but not as much. In my case I wanted to stay at the Crowne plaza. Last year it was around $188/night and this year it's $193/night.

It depends on the hotel and occupancy too, as well as those nifty tourism fees (I think those are the bigger factors). but I don't think the nightly rates got ridiculously jacked up in price or anything.

Yeah, its really been more of a slow creep upwards. A few extra dollars a year sounds about right.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    Cypher3754 wrote: »
    I have found it much easier, both in stress level and fuel to get a hotel outside the downtown area for much cheaper ( by 50%). I booked a hotel for 100/ night in Seatac. The light rail is a cheap source of transportation into Seattle and I don't have to worry about the traffic.

I've thought about this in the past, and I always kinda keep it in my back pocket in case the money gets really tight, but I'm the type of person that likes to constantly run back to the room and drop stuff off or chill for a few minutes, so its hard for me to go all in.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    havok978 wrote: »

Yeah, its really been more of a slow creep upwards. A few extra dollars a year sounds about right.

Oh okay! I guess is just mis-judged how much it would be. Now I'm doubly happy that I booked at The Sound Hotel...

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    Sorry if I should've made a new thread, this seemed like the closest fit.

It looks like I'll be releasing a Queen-Queen room at Motif (Thursday checkin - Tuesday checkout) in a few minutes here since my group size dwindled.

Surprisingly I was able to piece together a room at Sheraton (I've been using Motif since they were Red Lion) so we're going to see if that's any better this year.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    The Sheraton Hotel currently has Thursday check-in to tuesday check-out available. I wasn't around a computer when it with live but and glad i just check on the site to book. there seems to be at least another available with double/double if anyone was looking

jf7bixxxlknz.png

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    acaraba2 wrote: »
    The Sheraton Hotel currently has Thursday check-in to tuesday check-out available. I wasn't around a computer when it with live but and glad i just check on the site to book. there seems to be at least another available with double/double if anyone was looking

Thank you for the heads up! I was just able to book it, you're a lifesaver! Looks like at least one room still open (they had a king, too).

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular

Yeah, normally we would have to wait until late July to get more Sheraton rooms, definitely easier this year.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options

Yeah, normally we would have to wait until late July to get more Sheraton rooms, definitely easier this year.

I will agree with that. I sent an email to be put on the Sheraton waitlist when everything went live, and I think I got the updated Sheraton reservation the next day. It's definitely nice to kinda have everything in place for once and not have to camp the hotel page until August to finally get everything together.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    TheCvgun123TheCvgun123 Registered User regular
    Wish I could afford the Sheraton but they want the whole thing up front and because of my snoring roommates are very hard to come by.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Was able to swap to Sheraton, seems there are plenty of rooms left. Not sure if the delay to release some room dates threw people off and they are not rushing to swap yet.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    They usually go pretty quick, but it seems PAX is not quite as popular this year. Badges are still available and I just booked a room at the Sheraton yesterday. Usually the Sheraton is the first hotel to be booked up. Was shocked that rooms were still available.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Sheraton was booked in the initial rush, but every year they have rooms open up as people move things around.

But yes, these last couple years they've had to advertise PAX because it hasn't filled.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »
    Sheraton was booked in the initial rush, but every year they have rooms open up as people move things around.

But yes, these last couple years they've had to advertise PAX because it hasn't filled.

Also, there are rooms reserved at the Sheraton (and probably some other hotels) for exhibitors/guests/whatever. The unclaimed ones get released at some point, and that is likely why there was availability again this week.