As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    How does every game ever not have button mapping?

I know I read a thing somewhere, maybe it was one of those Iwata Asks or something, where someone mentioned a philosophy of the button choices being a "design" aspect of the game (or something along those lines.. i.e. "we chose these buttons specifically"). So basically developers not trusting gamers or not understanding why anyone would *want* to change them (or I'm sure a lot of it is laziness/not thinking to add it as a feature)

TBH it seems to be a weird Japanese thing more than anything. It seems like Western developers almost always add button mapping options.

It is likely the same as the fighting game philosphy that the challenge of doing inputs IS a part of playing the game.

I think some designers purposely made controls a certain way because learning their special philosophy over control was part of learning their game. Almost like putting a personalized stamp on the input aspect.

In some cases it worked, while in many it different. But also, by doing that they were likely able to progress video game control in general as a few experiments turned out to be improvements.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

For some reason I forgot David Hayter was voicing Zangetsu in this game. I know he was announced as doing a role, but I put it out of my mind, I guess. I didn't even recognize him until your post. But yeah, it's clearly him.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

For some reason I forgot David Hayter was voicing Zangetsu in this game. I know he was announced as doing a role, but I put it out of my mind, I guess. I didn't even recognize him until your post. But yeah, it's clearly him.

I mean, they also got Robert Belgrade to play some "Mysterious Man" as well. There's actually a lot of weird-awesome about this game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I was kind of expecting all the extras to come with patches later down the line, not be ready for launch.

Cause holy hell, there was a LONG list of additions that were going to make the game has insane longevity.

Unrelated to Bloodstained: I've been playing the original Castlevania and and working on getting achievements via www.retroachievements.com. There are a series of achievements that require you to beat each boss without getting hit. I've done every single one....except Dracula. Has anyone here ever successfully beaten him without getting hit? I've gotten pretty good at jumping over his fireballs, but it seems like there's no way for me to react in time to avoid getting hit if he decides to warp on top of me. I'd probably have an easier time focusing on the "beat Dracula without using a continue" achievement.

There are also achievements for finding every secret collectible item hidden in blocks + destroying every candle in a level. These are all fairly easy...until you get to stage 5. There are several candles in stage 5-1 that can only be reached with the axe. There is no axe drop in stage 4. The latest one can get an axe before stage 5-1 is on stage 3-1, unless fortunate really smiles upon you and it appears as a random drop from an enemy. This will be tough. Frankenstein's Monster is annoying as hell without stunlocking him via holy water. And stage 4-1 tends to be the first place I die a lot in this game. So many insta-deaths from getting knocked off moving platforms by bats...or accidentally jumping off moving platforms because I was trying to avoid getting hit by bats. I had to continue from that stage 3 times last night, and yet a month ago I made it all the way to the last level without dying once.

Anyway, yeah, that's how I've been wasting my time lately while waiting for Bloodstained.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Unrelated to Bloodstained: I've been playing the original Castlevania and and working on getting achievements via www.retroachievements.com. There are a series of achievements that require you to beat each boss without getting hit. I've done every single one....except Dracula. Has anyone here ever successfully beaten him without getting hit? I've gotten pretty good at jumping over his fireballs, but it seems like there's no way for me to react in time to avoid getting hit if he decides to warp on top of me. I'd probably have an easier time focusing on the "beat Dracula without using a continue" achievement.

There are also achievements for finding every secret collectible item hidden in blocks + destroying every candle in a level. These are all fairly easy...until you get to stage 5. There are several candles in stage 5-1 that can only be reached with the axe. There is no axe drop in stage 4. The latest one can get an axe before stage 5-1 is on stage 3-1, unless fortunate really smiles upon you and it appears as a random drop from an enemy. This will be tough. Frankenstein's Monster is annoying as hell without stunlocking him via holy water. And stage 4-1 tends to be the first place I die a lot in this game. So many insta-deaths from getting knocked off moving platforms by bats...or accidentally jumping off moving platforms because I was trying to avoid getting hit by bats. I had to continue from that stage 3 times last night, and yet a month ago I made it all the way to the last level without dying once.

Anyway, yeah, that's how I've been wasting my time lately while waiting for Bloodstained.

For Dracula you basically farm the hell out of the hearts before him till you get 99 (you probably know that already though) and then hope for the least amount of teleports onto you and if he does try to take out the fireballs with the holy water.

For Dracula you basically farm the hell out of the hearts before him till you get 99 (you probably know that already though) and then hope for the least amount of teleports onto you and if he does try to take out the fireballs with the holy water.

Yeah, I have no issues with beating Dracula normally...but beating him without getting hit is another matter entirely. I did find this video that involves standing on the two blocks next to his coffin for most of the fight. It's not 100% effective, and he says as much in the video description:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRS6MK66bk4

I'm currently at Dracula right now. Maybe this will be the time? I was originally trying for the "beat Dracula without continues" achievement, but I screwed up at the Grim Reaper and threw my holy water a split second too late. He was able to summon some scythes, and after that I couldn't deal with his patterns of hopping around and the scythes. It was a pretty good playthrough up to that point too! I hadn't even lost a life yet.

I'm working on these achievements in "hardcore" mode which disables save states and stuff like fast forward or rewind.

f7lpl0lrb7d1.png

Finally did it!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Do we know if you just get to choose either character to play right from the start?

Definitely into the idea of playing the new dude.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Grabbed the switch castlevania collection and gave kid dracula a try.

Beat it in about six hours with 90% of my deaths coming from intense frame rate drop.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I want my Castlevania Legends.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I want my Castlevania Legends.

There's more than enough games to do another compilation.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Legends is the Castlevania they want to scrub from history.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Legends is the Castlevania they want to scrub from history.

From the timeline history at least, and that was Iga's doing. As far as the game goes, I don't think they really care much and would probably throw it in a collection eventually.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I was playing the PRG0 version of Castlevania I today to clean up some achievements. I had heard that it was prone to crashing, but I didn't think much of it. I didn't have any of those weird sound glitches someone showed from the Castlevania Collection. And then I got to the Grim Reaper's hallway:
    rz725fyj45id.png
    (note the messed up UI)

"Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation."

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hey, wanted to share some cool fan art I found. It's by an artist who goes by Anaugi over at Deviant Art (fair warning, there's some NSFW stuff on their gallery).
    qvgtjpxny30g.jpg
    3ug1s2ancd8p.jpg
    nuddvid1se99.jpg
    a76hkje62nxj.jpg

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm playing Portrait of Ruin right now doing a leveling up thing with Charlotte using explosion on some minotaurs. And I don't hear her saying "Explosion!" anymore. I'm hearing it as "It's bullshit!"

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Man, I miss Castlevania.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I cleaned up all the achievements for Castlevania 1 yesterday before I went to bed. The achievement I was missing was to find all the hidden treasures in stage 5-1, as well as destroy all the candles:

Turns out there's a hidden 1up in stage 5-1 that I never knew about:
    as0tk3u3sdcx.png

So while I was doing a "second quest" run, I decided to hang out in this level and hope an enemy dropped an axe. I went back and forth in the level, ranking up a ton of points. Did you know that the score counter rolls back to zero once you hit 999,999? I didn't.

I probably spent two hours in 5-1, killing skeletons and flea men. They only ever dropped daggers or the stopwatch. I gave up on this strategy and decided to go kill the Grim Reaper. I had acquired 16 lived at this point. And then I screwed up and picked up the boomerang/cross in stage 5-3 when I wasn't paying close attention. The Grim Reaper absolutely wrecked my shit. This is the second quest version, so he summons 4 scythes instead of 3. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've beaten him without the holy water, and they were all in the 1980s.

Anyway, I lost all my lives and shut off the game. Went to bed.

A few hours in, I realized I had insomnia. I decided to load up Castlevania again and try taking the axe from 3-1 to 5-1. Got it on my first try. And now I have all the achievements for Castlevania.
    6pgr498up0ea.png

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    You're a manlier man than I'll ever be.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Eh, I just had a lot of spare time yesterday.

One thing I don't have time for are the bonus achievements in Castlevania. They include "Complete stages 1-3 without using the Vampire Killer", "Finish the game without losing a life", and a bunch of "complete this series of stages without taking any damage."

Castlevania was such a great concept. Kind of a mish mash of cool horror stuff which could be recycled over and over.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    "Why don't we have a whole segment built around this series's infamously shitty staircase mechanics?" Why don't you go fuck yourself, Super Castlevania IV Block B-2?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    "Why don't we have a whole segment built around this series's infamously shitty staircase mechanics?" Why don't you go fuck yourself, Super Castlevania IV Block B-2?

I don't think I've ever made it through that level unscathed.

I'd like to know why a whip was chosen as the iconic weapon to fight evil versus a sword.

*googles*
    According to a statement made by the head director of the three Famicom Castlevania games, Hitoshi Akamatsu, the inclusion of the whip as the player's weapon of choice is a reference to Indiana Jones.

:rotate:

Castlevania is all about style. Even more so with the later games.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Still sad we never got that Julius game, although sometimes it can never match what you expected in your mind.

Julius is pretty much the Right Hand of God in terms of demon killing power.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Castlevania is all about style. Even more so with the later games.
    Leon Belmont's gauntlet is RIDICULOUS looking. But I still love it.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Castlevania was such a great concept. Kind of a mish mash of cool horror stuff which could be recycled over and over.

I've always wanted a reboot that goes back to its roots, effectively being "What would happen if you turned a guy with a whip loose inside the Universal Monsters theme park?"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    When I realized that also applied to Capcom's Darkstalkers I started to wonder how good a crossover between the two would work.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    When I realized that also applied to Capcom's Darkstalkers I started to wonder how good a crossover between the two would work.

The western equivalent would be The Witcher. It throws every paranormal critter into the world and it works.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

The western equivalent would be The Witcher. It throws every paranormal critter into the world and it works.

Is Poland considered the West? I would think that's probably a no, right?

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

When it comes to mythology, Europe is considered "Western". Castlevania and Darkstalkers are adapted Western myth via Japanese creators. Which, when it comes to myth, is considered part of "Eastern" myth.

It's honestly pretty lopsided, when things are split up for this purpose.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

If you're talking about the Cold War, then it's not.

In most other contexts, it is.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I feel like Poland and other near Russian countries deserve a different designation to "western" countries like France and Germany. The cultures and mythologies are very extremely different!

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This is going to probably garner some hatred but whatevs:

The only early Castlevanias I actually played were Simon's Quest and the first GBA one.

Other than Simon's Quest, which is kind of Metroidvaniaesqueish, are any of the games in the collection Metroidvaniaesqueish? Because I kind of don't really care for non-Metroidvaniaesqueish Castlevania games.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »
    This is going to probably garner some hatred but whatevs:

The only early Castlevanias I actually played were Simon's Quest and the first GBA one.

Other than Simon's Quest, which is kind of Metroidvaniaesqueish, are any of the games in the collection Metroidvaniaesqueish? Because I kind of don't really care for non-Metroidvaniaesqueish Castlevania games.

No, the ones in this collection are platformers like the Mega Man games. Go and buy Hollow Knight for a Metroidvania fix.