As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Championing Idleness

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Championing Idleness

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I've seen a few ads for this, and... I'm struggling to imagine how they built P2W features into the game (I'm assuming there are some). You spend money to... not idle as much? Get more for equal amounts of idleness? Be more efficient at idling?

MaryAmelia on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I think you unlock different heroes items and powers to be idle with.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Most idle games absolutely let people spend more money to be idle more efficiently.

It’s madness.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned the top steam review has links to gamblers anonymous. So yeah.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I'm so good at idle games I never installed any of them, or spent money in them.

Making me the true winner in the end.

• Options
    MrMiracleMrMiracle Registered User regular
    There was an episode of CR's Mame Drop where the show sponsor was Idle Champions, and the cast had more fun playing Gauntlet 2 for an hour.

The best way to learn a new word is to use it 10 times in everyday conversation.

Today's word: Spankological
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I just like this quote from the newspost:

"It [today's comic] also allowed us to return to a classic Penny Arcade pastime, that of kicking sponsors directly in the mouth. I can already feel my youthful vigor return!"

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    When I get the urge for some good idling gameplay I fire up Progress Quest for a few weeks.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Just a few examples from the various idle games I've used as sleep aids:

-Special upgrades unlocked with premium currency
    -Temporary buffs like super rapid clicking or increased money per second
    -Time skip (spend some funbux, get your next 24 hours of idle instantly)
    -Whatever the "start over but better" system is called, get more of it for premium currency
    -Gacha style units with the best ones almost impossible to get without premium currency
    -Crazy expensive upgrades that would take weeks, or just spend a dollar or so in premium currency
    -Lootboxes containing any of the above
    -Lootboxes containing any of the above INCLUDING the above lootboxes, because God no longers loves His creation and all is now misery

Like... seriously, these are games built around arbitrarily long progress bars that get geometrically longer by design. How hard is it to imagine the horrible ways they can be monetized? Take Dungeon Keeper Mobile and strip out everything except the progress bars and the numbers and it still wants you to spend exactly as much money to get anywhere.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    well I didn't know they have ads for this game on the site, adblocker ftw

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    This is what happens when you replace the game designers with psychologists and marketers.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Do they? Or is that just a guess? Signed out of ClubPA (no ads) and refreshed several times and never got one.

They have a bunch of their characters in the game. I figured the developer paid them money for that license. That's what I assumed the "sponsor" bit was.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Wait, Idle Champions has lootboxes?

It's like they saw Battlefront II and said "Hold my 4Loko"

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

There aren't any ads for anything anywhere on the site that aren't PA related as far as I can tell. Sponsorship doesn't necessarily equate to ads.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I'm not generally a fan of the Idle Clicker genre, but I got a kick out of Universal Paperclips. It didn't ask much of my time, has no transactions of any kind (the mobile version does cost $1.99), and has an ending.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've given money to those adorable Neko Atsume cats so they can have more toys and a bigger house. That's my extent with an idle game. Not even sure if that is one.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Cookie Clicker is the one true champion and can never be beaten.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Cookie Clicker may have been the original... But Sandcastle Builder is the idle game to end all idle games.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    pwgcbcpwgcbc Registered User new member
    I've been playing idle champions for 15 years. They are called Folding@Home and SETI@Home.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    AFK Arena has its hooks in me, if only because the art is just beautiful.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    If I have a computer on at work or home then Cookie Clicker is running.

steam_sig.png