As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Godzilla 2014 had lots of flaws, and was arguably a shitty Godzilla movie by virtue of not actually containing any Godfuckingzilla, but it was really well crafted. A little slow, but the acting was solid, the special effects amazing, and the 8 minutes that actually had Godzilla were fantastic.

Honestly I lost interest after Bryan Cranston's character died. The rest of the characters other than Serizawa were completely forgettable and I'm glad they didn't return in the new film.

Yeah, Godzilla 2014 had some great Godzilla-ing, especially at the end. But it's basically a dull and pointless last 1/2 to 2/3rds because they kill their only compelling and motivated character.

I actually kinda liked the "Godzilla from the perspective of the people on the ground" thing it had going in several parts.

The movie is just kind of a mess with a bad script.

Cloverfield was a much better Godzilla movie than Godzilla 2014, if you want the perspective of the folks on the ground.

I have mentioned elsewhere, but the godzilla march in Cloverfield was pretty good.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kong is a really different kind of monster though. Godzilla hasn't fought a bipedal, agile monster yet. Huge Kong has some tricks.

But I always expected that film to have them fight each other then fight something else together and end as buds.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kong is a really different kind of monster though. Godzilla hasn't fought a bipedal, agile monster yet. Huge Kong has some tricks.

But I always expected that film to have them fight each other then fight something else together and end as buds.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a play on the "Martha" thing from the incredibly godawful Batman vs. Superman that I utterly, utterly refuse to watch?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Saw this yesterday and it feels like they blew their shot at a decent godzilla run.
    The 2nd one was definitely the better godzilla movie, but all the set piece shots had already been done in the first.
    I dunno, I could have fallen asleep as I watched it. A superbly meh movie.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a play on the "Martha" thing from the incredibly godawful Batman vs. Superman that I utterly, utterly refuse to watch?

If you don’t watch it you can’t truly know if it’s bad.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Yes you can

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Yes you can

You could watch Moviebob's 4 hour dissection of why it's bad.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I watched the new Godzilla tonight and it was a real fun ride, in the way that a big explosively dumb movie is great to watch specifically because I don't have to think things and can just enjoy the pure aesthetics of Godzilla punching a three-headed dragon

I will lay out one, relatively minor complaint (under spoilers just in case), but it says something to me:
    When the movie shows the locations of known Titans, it shows there being one in Australia, but the name given for the location is "Ayer's Rock" -- the colonist name for Uluru, and for nearly twenty years now relegated to second of the two gazetted names of the formation. It's a minor detail, but one that kind of glared to me in a movie that seemed otherwise detail-oriented.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Kong vs Godzilla could choose to go the Avengers route for the team up.

Godzilla does the heavy lifting while Kong shoots arrows and spouts one-liners.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I watched the new Godzilla tonight and it was a real fun ride, in the way that a big explosively dumb movie is great to watch specifically because I don't have to think things and can just enjoy the pure aesthetics of Godzilla punching a three-headed dragon

I will lay out one, relatively minor complaint (under spoilers just in case), but it says something to me:
    When the movie shows the locations of known Titans, it shows there being one in Australia, but the name given for the location is "Ayer's Rock" -- the colonist name for Uluru, and for nearly twenty years now relegated to second of the two gazetted names of the formation. It's a minor detail, but one that kind of glared to me in a movie that seemed otherwise detail-oriented.

your spoiler makes me wonder
    if New Zealand is even on that map

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I gotta admit it's bumming me out how negative most of the reviews for the new Godzilla movie are considering how much I enjoyed it...

Although I'm still perplexed why Godzilla 2014 was more widely praised than this one is.

On rotten tomatoes any time I see a low critic score and a high viewer score I figure the movie has to be great.

When I see this I assume it's not good enough for the sniff-your-own-farts crowd.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I gotta admit it's bumming me out how negative most of the reviews for the new Godzilla movie are considering how much I enjoyed it...

Although I'm still perplexed why Godzilla 2014 was more widely praised than this one is.

On rotten tomatoes any time I see a low critic score and a high viewer score I figure the movie has to be great.

When I see this I assume it's not good enough for the sniff-your-own-farts crowd.

I never get how this kind of attitude squares with, say, something like the John Wick series having like 80-90% RT ratings.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I never get how this kind of attitude squares with, say, something like the John Wick series having like 80-90% RT ratings.

Because revenge stories are serious and intense and adult and giant monsters are for kids.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed Godzilla 2014, I enjoyed the "Godzilla from the view on the ground" take on it.

Also Skull Island was pretty boss in setting up Kong and the background of the monsters and Monarch

I haven't seen KotM yet but I'm happy that Legendary jumped straight into the deep end with this shit

My first exposure to Godzilla was while staying at my grandparents. Bro and I wanted to watch muppets and grandad went "I ain't watching that cartoon shit" and slammed Godzilla into the vcr.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Kong vs Godzilla could choose to go the Avengers route for the team up.

Godzilla does the heavy lifting while Kong shoots arrows and spouts one-liners.

"That my secret Kong, I'm always *skreeonk*"

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Rewatched Wick 1&2 today and while 2 is nowhere near as good as 1 the museum shootout, especially the mirror room, is fucking top level good. I particularly liked the kill that was a little homage to Tango and Cash.

I do think 2 does a better job about keeping it's energy through most of the movie while 1 loses some steam after the Red Circle and never really picks up its momentum again.

Mvrck wrote: »

Because revenge stories are serious and intense and adult and giant monsters are for kids.

Or, you know, because they are actually good. And critics don't mind a good entertaining movie if it's actually well made. You can flip through the review. Like every one of them is like "it's ridiculous and pulpy and just so much fun".

It's fucking ridiculous to pretend like movie critics are too snooty to love a great popcorn flick. They love that shit.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Saw new Godzilla with my 8 year old and his best friend. I think it was the best 2.5 hours of their lives.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

edited June 2019
    I took my kids to see it, and they thought it was rad.

I enjoyed it on balance, but the script is straight up garbage. Not winking, self consciously campy, just actively bad. The humans are, for the most part, not even characters so much as fleshy plot devices, to the point where I don't think I could name a single personality trait for any character that isn't just a description of their part in the plot.

The monster action is terrific, and the film is gorgeous to look at, though a few of the initial shots of Ghidorah look a little bit stop-motion-model-y, for some reason. And unlike Godzilla '14, there's plenty of hot monster on monster action for your viewing pleasure. My one complaint, too the extent that is really even a complaint, is that I thought the creature designs on the auxiliary monsters were a lot more interesting than on the main four, and I hope we get to see more of them in the future.

I do appreciate how the movie just embraced the totally fucking bonkers mythology in this universe. Shit be cray, yo.

Terrible human stuff aside, the movie is a lot of fun, and on balance I'd recommend it to fans of the genre, but probably not to anyone that doesn't squee at the idea of kaiju. It's more fun than Godzilla '14, but nowhere near the delight that was Kong.

I give it SKREEEOOONNNNNK stars out of five.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I took my kids to see it, and they thought it was rad.

I enjoyed it on balance, but the script is straight up garbage. Not winking, self consciously campy, just actively bad. The humans are, for the most part, not even characters so much as fleshy plot devices, to the point where I don't think I could name a single personality trait for any character that isn't just a description of their part in the plot.

The monster action is terrific, and the film is gorgeous to look at, though a few of the initial shots of Ghidorah look a little bit stop-motion-model-y, for some reason. And unlike Godzilla '14, there's plenty of hot monster on monster action for your viewing pleasure. My one complaint, too the extent that is really even a complaint, is that I thought the creature designs on the auxiliary monsters were a lot more interesting than on the main four, and I hope we get to see more of them in the future.

I do appreciate how the movie just embraced the totally fucking bonkers mythology in this universe. Shit be cray, yo.

Terrible human stuff aside, the movie is a lot of fun, and on balance I'd recommend it to fans of the genre, but probably not to anyone that doesn't squee at the idea of kaiju. It's more fun than Godzilla '14, but nowhere near the delight that was Kong.

I give it SKREEEOOONNNNNK stars out of five.

That's fair.

One thing I appreciated was the twist that
    the monsters are waking up to fix the environment without devastating human civilization. I was once on board for the theme of nature's vengeance via kaiju, but after the Godzilla Netflix trilogy took that to pretty much its most pessimistic, cynical, and nihilistic extreme with
    the protagonist committing suicide-by-Godzilla to destroy mankind's last hope to restore civilization, dooming the survivors to never progress past a hunter-gatherer caveman society because all advanced civilizations throughout the history of the universe are fated to spawn monsters to destroy themselves with if the Cthulu-esque extradimensional Ghidorah doesn't do it first

I'm ready for somewhat-benevolent, eco-friendly monsters. Especially after one of the negative reviews I've read agreed with the villains' "kill humanity to save the Earth" plan. I dunno, I'm just burnt-out on misanthropic environmentalism.

Hexmage-PA on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've seen a few audience/critic splits and I always find it interesting.

The last big one I think was Hereditary, where the critics loved it but the audience really did not like it at all.

I don't think there's a blanket explanation for why these splits happen, and it's definitely something you need to take on a case by case basis.

edited June 2019
    I think viewer reviews are largely driven by the accuracy of the trailers and marketing. Like, if you're dropping money to see a Michael Bay movie, you're probably the kind of person who's going to dig a Michael Bay movie. Conversely, something like Hereditary is definitely not going to appeal to everyone, and the trailer doesn't really prepare you for what you're about to see.

ElJeffe on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I think viewer reviews are largely driven by the accuracy of the trailers and marketing. Like, if you're dropping money to see a Michael Bay movie, you're probably the kind of person who's going to dig a Michael Bay movie. Conversely, something like Hereditary is definitely not going to appeal to everyone, and the trailer doesn't really prepare you for what you're about to see.

Yeah aside from specific shenanigans (like Last Jedi) the audience score should be decent for any movie that isn't complete and utter garbage. Because most movies should be able to find an audience. Like even Rampage has a 75% on RT for the audience. And as somebody who saw that movie, I agree...it was fine, and it delivered precisely what the trailers promised.

Trailer fakeouts are particularly dangerous when the critic score is high, I'd say...with Hereditary being a great example of that. Because the high critic score will push people who may have been on the fence over into seeing it, who will then be even more disappointed.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

So if you find the trailer appealing, see the movie if the audience score is high. Don't see the movie if the audience score is low though, because then the movie is either bad or the trailer is a fake out and you probably won't like it.

So basically go off the audience score. Got it.

The line about earth fighting off an infection of humans makes me think of the movie the happening. Please tell me there isn't a twist that reveals trees were behind the chaos all along.

furbat on
    I generally completely ignore audience scores and just go with a combination of reviewers I trust and the records of the people involved in making the movie. I'm very rarely surprised by a movie that I've plopped down money for - at worst, it's like "I expected to love this movie, but I merely liked it."

Godzilla being a good example - I figured, based on reviews, that it was going to be kind of a sloppy movie with terrific action sequences that played well on the big screen, and that's what I got.

I can't actually remember the last time I've paid money for a movie that I didn't feel had been worth it. Maybe Dredd? (Which I recognize I am in the extreme minority on, and I still don't know why it didn't click with me.)

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I thoroughly enjoyed Godzilla 2014, I enjoyed the "Godzilla from the view on the ground" take on it.

Also Skull Island was pretty boss in setting up Kong and the background of the monsters and Monarch

I haven't seen KotM yet but I'm happy that Legendary jumped straight into the deep end with this shit

My first exposure to Godzilla was while staying at my grandparents. Bro and I wanted to watch muppets and grandad went "I ain't watching that cartoon shit" and slammed Godzilla into the vcr.

I agree. I feel like I'm the only one who liked the 2014 one. Then again, I also liked Peter Jackson's Kong with Naomi Watts. *swoon*

It was definitely deeply flawed - killing off the two best actors relatively early (Cranston and Binoche) was a huge mistake, and the main lead wasn't good. But I actually liked that they teased Godzilla, and didn't make it gratuitous fighting all the time. I mean, at least compared to that 2000s Godzilla that ends with "there's a little bit of Godzilla in all of us", 2014 did alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuXmr4ok_MY

I grew up on Showa Godzilla but still liked 2014. Shin Godzilla was obviously on a totally different, much higher level, but it was also not really about Godzilla at all.

I hope this one is at least entertaining enough, and has some good payoff moments when the music kicks in.

Speaking of music kicking in, Booksmart was great. It's been 12 freaking years since Superbad and yeah, it borrowed some themes and plot points but it's been enough time, and Superbad did the same. I actually think it expanded on it, since it shows off way more of the main characters' flaws. And the music was amazing.

Jibba on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Saw Rocket Man, it took liberties with some stuff, and some songs are picked based on fitting the narrative rather then chronological, but it didn't shy away from the addictions, the musical bits are very well done. Can we give it Bohemian Rhapsody's statue for best editing?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    I grew up on Showa Godzilla but still liked 2014. Shin Godzilla was obviously on a totally different, much higher level, but it was also not really about Godzilla at all.

Have we got any word on a sequel to Shin Gojira? Beause it was fucking good, and i'd love to see a sequel. (And if you haven't seen it, go and see it. It's very much it's own beast, and it'as fantastic)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just got home from seeing Godzilla. I think it's the dumbest movie I've ever seen. The monster fights are entertaining enough, but I honestly think I'd have enjoyed the movie more if it was in Chinese, no subtitles. Charles Dance was completely wasted, he was more menacing in Last Action Hero by far. He was the most nonchalant, bored terrorist I've ever seen. I couldn't dislike this movie more if it kicked my dog.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    After a physically and emotionally strenuous family trip to Slovakia and a night on the world's second-worst night train (okay, to be fair: the train was okay, but the mattress was a narrow, lightly-padded slab of concrete) we decided to watch something pulpy and disposable last light: Split. It's not a good film and there is some stuff in there that is in decidedly poor taste, not to say offensive, but it reminded me that MNS can be quite the craftsman when it comes to staging effectively unsettling scenes. Does it hold up? Is it coherent? Not particularly, and I definitely think that especially the theme of child abuse was handled dreadfully, but for about 3/4 of the film I did rather enjoy it for the mood it establishes and for the interplay between the main characters. I do wish that it had ended differently, though, namely with Casey telling the Beast to shove it and blowing its/his head off. As it is, the film veers too closely towards leaving the Beast's world view unexamined, if not actually stealth-validating it.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Yeah, I was liked Unbreakable and was keen to see Split and Glass. Split was so bad I’m not even going to bother with Glass.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ve seen both Godzilla and Kong Skull Island and I had no idea that they were connected.

PSN: Honkalot
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I’ve seen both Godzilla and Kong Skull Island and I had no idea that they were connected.

The connection was there with Monarch, I think, though most explicit was a credit scene for Kong where they just play Godzilla’s roar

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I appreciated the hell out of the Rodan adaptation in King of Monsters:

Looks like a total bad ass
    Dabs on the Air Force
    Questionable loyalties
    Accomplishes basically nothing

Literally classic Rodan.

milk ducks on
  • NyogthaNyogtha Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »

I agree. I feel like I'm the only one who liked the 2014 one. Then again, I also liked Peter Jackson's Kong with

It was definitely deeply flawed - killing off the two best actors relatively early (Cranston and Binoche) was a huge mistake, and the main lead wasn't good. But I actually liked that they teased Godzilla, and didn't make it gratuitous fighting all the time. I mean, at least compared to that 2000s Godzilla that ends with "there's a little bit of Godzilla in all of us", 2014 did alright.

I hope this one is at least entertaining enough, and has some good payoff moments when the music kicks in.

Speaking of music kicking in, Booksmart was great. It's been 12 freaking years since Superbad and yeah, it borrowed some themes and plot points but it's been enough time, and Superbad did the same. I actually think it expanded on it, since it shows off way more of the main characters' flaws. And the music was amazing.

I also really enjoyed Godzilla 2014 and I really enjoyed Godzilla 2019 KotM as well, curious if you liked it too let me know?

Honk wrote: »

There was an after credit scene where some Monarch people show Loki and Danvers some footage of evidence of Titans they’d found. The very first image was Godzilla, followed by Rodan and Ghidorah.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    As someone who loved King of the Monsters but was disappointed with Godzilla 2014 I'd like to briefly go over things I liked and disliked about both.

Godzilla 2014
    - The fact that the early teasers included Robert Oppenheimer's "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" quote alongside apocalyptic imagery led me to believe the movie would hew much more closely to the original Godzilla film in tone and in the representation of Godzilla himself as a highly dangerous and destructive entity. In the actual movie he was "a force for balance" who did very little to harm humans and hardly destroyed anything unless he was engaged in battle.
    - The most interesting character (and the one featured most in the trailers) died very early on. The other characters were far less interesting and felt like little more than boring distraction from the monster action. I cared nothing at all about the main character's family. The wife in particular had nothing to do other than look distressed every now and then.
    - I personally didn't mind Godzilla himself not getting much screentime. My bigger annoyance is that they teased a battle and cut away from it twice.
    - The main character pulls his handgun on a MUTO right before Godzilla kills it. What the fuck was that gonna accomplish? The futile gesture drew a laugh in my theater.
    - The scenery was perpetually dark and dreary.
    - Serizawa's reason for his trust in Godzilla wasn't established, so it came off as inexplicable.
    - Just realized all my points so far have been negative. Ummm...Godzilla breathing atomic fire down the second MUTO's throat and tearing off its head was cool.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    - Whereas I went into Godzilla 2014 with high expectations (due to glowing critical reviews) that were crushed over the course of the film, I went into this one almost anxious that it was going to suck (based on widespread critical condemnation) and came out wired and thoroughly satisfied with the movie. The trailers were also very honest about what this movie was going to be like, unlike the trailers for the 2014 installment.
    - Though there were still a number of dark and obscured scenes of monster action, but at least this time it was largely because of fantastical elements such as King Ghidorah being able to manifest a hurricane around himself.
    - "Sad Dad" was at least more interesting than the main character of the first movie. The kid and villainous mom were also way more interesting than their counterparts in the first film.
    - In general, Godzilla 2014 had great acting with characters that did next to nothing, whereas King of the Monsters had less-impressive acting with characters who were very active and had their own agendas.
    - Godzilla got plenty of screentime, and while there were moments where the movie would cut away from the action it never felt actively obnoxious like in the first movie.
    - It was great seeing King Ghidorah especially. He was very well realized, and had more personality and menace than ever before. There were many beautiful shots of him, such as his heads and tails writhing as he emerged from the ice, his triumphant pose upon the volcano, his gradual reveal within the hurricane as the Monarch airship approached, his pursuit of the ORCA device, etc.
    - It was clear to see the love and attention to detail put into this movie, with plenty of references to various aspects of the Godzilla franchise (for example, one of the Ospreys the characters use is called "Raptor One", which may have been a reference to one of the late 90's Godzilla novels by Marc Cerasini which featured a modified Osprey with the same name). In contrast, it made the first movie feel like it was trying too hard to be a critical darling because it was a bit embarrassed to be a Godzilla film.
    - The tech level in this one was more unrealistic, especially the giant flying base, but improbable tech is a franchise staple so I don't really care.
    - The only major complaints I have with the movie are that one comic relief character in particular was very off-putting and that the characters, in general, seemed strangely unconcerned with being around radioactive monsters all the time.

- The main character pulls his handgun on a MUTO right before Godzilla kills it. What the fuck was that gonna accomplish? The futile gesture drew a laugh in my theater.

I mean, he was literally about to die. Why the fuck not?

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Saw Rocket Man, it took liberties with some stuff, and some songs are picked based on fitting the narrative rather then chronological, but it didn't shy away from the addictions, the musical bits are very well done. Can we give it Bohemian Rhapsody's statue for best editing?

I was talking to my dad about it - singing the movie's praises. (My mother just had a surgery though, so they'll not be seeing it for a bit.) Anyway, he breaks out the dad-trivia, and asks if they go into where the name Elton John came from. And I mention the bit with Elton Dean, and then the picture of the Beatles.

And my dad gets really annoyed, because he's a big Long John Baldry fan and I guess the movie's done him dirty by excluding him and making up the Beatles nod.

I hope they still go see it though. It's the best movie I've seen so far in this (admittedly weak) year.

This discussion has been closed.