As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hansa Tuetonica looks right up my alley and it's weirdly cheap for being out of print.

Hmmm.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I had an Amazon gift card so I ordered Root.

Ready for some Redwall shenanigans.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Root is very good. If you're the person teaching it get real familiar with every faction because the rules explanation is basically going through four different ways to play the game.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    Root is very good. If you're the person teaching it get real familiar with every faction because the rules explanation is basically going through four different ways to play the game.

First game it's probably just enough to teach each person to play their faction and their's only, barring the woodland alliance. Cats and birds really need to know vaguely how alliance's mechanics work otherwise they can be in for a nasty surprise a few turns in.

Campy on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I also got my copy of all of the 7th Continent. Now to do all the fun parts: punching stuff out and sleeving 1800 cards. What’s that you say? The fun part is playing the game? That’s just crazy talk.

Nobody plays board games, don't be silly.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I just listened to SU&SD's podcast where they talk about Three Kingdoms Redux

and it sounded like 100% my jam...until they mentioned that literally every unit in the game is unique and has their own ability, which sounds absolutely maddening to learn

anyone here played that game and can talk about that aspect, because that sounds like the bridge too far, there's no way I can remember all of that

6F32U1X.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I had that exact same reaction. I wonder if you can just house rule out the special considerarions for each general and have it all still work.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Asymmetrical characters/factions are my jam (Chaos in the World is like my favorite game) so Root really got me going.

Would one say the Riverfolk expansion is a required purchase, or just something good to enhance the base game once you’ve played it a bunch?

YL9WnCY.png
    I think a Marquise/Eyrie/Riverfolk game is as perfect as a wargame can be, but they’re probably best saved for when you have more experience with the mechanics

6F32U1X.png
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Spirit Island owners - did you sleeve your power cards? What's the insert situation with fully sleeved power cards, do they still fit?

I sleeved my power cards. They don't fit in the base box organizer. Folded Space sells an inexpensive foamcore organizer for the game that fits everything including the expansions, sleeved, in the base box, with no lid lift. It was from their 3rd kickstarter, so it should be available for purchase relatively soon (if not already).

Alternatively, you can remove the insert, bag tokens, and use Magic Tape to organize the various decks, and that would fit just fine. I also made my own foam core organizer that worked pretty well, but got frustrated when I miscalculated the last insert size.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hansa Tuetonica looks right up my alley and it's weirdly cheap for being out of print.

Hmmm.

I finally snapped and went back to where I'd seen a copy for £25. They are now out of stock.

The lesson here is never resist the call of boardgames.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Invaders from Afar expansion for Scythe digital version came out.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular

Hmmm.

I finally snapped and went back to where I'd see a copy for £25. They are now out of stock.

The lesson here is never resist the call of boardgames.

If it makes you feel any better, maybe they actually didn't have a copy and forgot to take stock/inventory until someone tried to buy it? That actually happened to me once.

I just got my ass kicked on the second scenario of Gloomhaven and oh no maybe the game is hard

6F32U1X.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just got my ass kicked on the second scenario of Gloomhaven and oh no maybe the game is hard

I’ve played five or six times so far and my main takeaway in terms of difficulty is that, although you can discover scenarios randomly through events and stuff, the main starting path is much more balanced for your party. Largely I think because while the game tries hard to balance against your level, it doesn’t really balance at all against your equipment or perks, so if you tackle some of the harder random scenarios later on, even though they rise to meet your level, your gear and perks are going to give you a relative leg up.

Of course if this doesn’t apply to you because you ARE doing main path stuff, I dunno, there’s a learning curve there. I definitely feel like I’m a lot better at figuring out how to get the most out of my character at this point. Keep at it?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I didn't progress all the way through the main campaign, but my sense was that the first two scenarios in Gloomhaven were a bit more difficult than much of what came after. Some of that is surely to make you realize the importance of playing your deck right, some of it just seems to be that maintaining balance is tricky after you start min/maxing with item loadouts.

The second scenario can be especially crushing if the AI deck plays out just right or if you have the wrong 2- or 3-charcter starting party.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    We're about thirty scenarios deep into our Gloomhaven campaign, and I think the only times we were failed were in like ... the first ten. Once you get used to maintaining the appropriate momentum to not burn out, and how to avoid damage, it gets very manageable.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah for my group I think the second scenario is the only one we have actually failed, though some have pushed us to the limit

I'm playing a Spellweaver (Dio Brando) and a Brute (Jonathan Joestar) and its weird how the Brute, and I guess by extension every class, is playing on a timer

There's only so many turns they can take before they just completely burn out, both times I played the second scenario the Brute didn't actually die, he just ran out of cards while the Spellweaver has that handy dandy "get back your entire lost pile" get out of jail card that effectively doubles their available time

6F32U1X.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    For the record we have a dedicated Gloomhaven thread where you can find some advice and tips.

Although all of y'all saying you only failed missions in the first ten or so clearly never made it to the Oozing Grove...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    we played battle for rokugan for the first time tonight and it was pretty far from a hit. It took longer than it's supposed to, minutes wise, not sure why. I didn't keep a good eye on the clock.

I had a terrible time because I chose the sailing secret objective and then got my command stuff in the wrong order? I never drew my Raid at all, and my 5 actions in year 5 were 3 army+2s and 2 army+1s. I had seven coastal areas controlled, of the six I needed, and one adjacent to me was raided. I think I had two spots I could attack. I acted last and placed my bluff first and by the time I was ready to act a third time, I was facing 5 invasions. So it sort of felt like drawing a garbage hand in year 5 made what I'd done in the previous 4 years irrelevant. With 4 people it kind of seemed that way in general? A ton of shit changed hands every turn and it didn't seem like people were really building to anything. With so many commands on the board it felt like there wasn't a lot of information to make your choices with, and if you were attacked 8 times and somebody else was attacked 5, that mattered more than anything you decided. We took half of the bonus-area cards at the end of year 1 and used almost all of them immediately.

Final scores were like 33-32-20-11

Does it generally play well with 4?

sig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Scenario 2 is the hardest one I have yet played.

I failed the first two scenarios a few times with the Brute and Spellweaver and sometimes it was luck and sometimes it was bad hand management. Killing the boss before he opens too many doors is incredibly important.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Tried War of the Ring 2nd edition. Haven't played WotR for 7 years.

Eh? It was okay-ish to play once, but didn't seem worth the huge time investment, both in playing and memorizing character cards.

Ultimately I have the same problem with it that I did Root: it's multiple stripped down games thrown together that are supposed to be greater than the sum of their parts but that never materializes for me. It feels like a super simplistic Yahtzee with a super simplistic Axis & Allies with a dash of super simplistic Scotland Yard.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Tried War of the Ring 2nd edition. Haven't played WotR for 7 years.

Eh? It was okay-ish to play once, but didn't seem worth the huge time investment, both in playing and memorizing character cards.

Ultimately I have the same problem with it that I did Root: it's multiple stripped down games thrown together that are supposed to be greater than the sum of their parts but that never materializes for me. It feels like a super simplistic Yahtzee with a super simplistic Axis & Allies with a dash of super simplistic Scotland Yard.

I am on a phone so I can not really elaborate but I must say I quite disagree with this assessment.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ori7iolijxw

From PAX Unplugged. The giant size version looks gorgeous.

Yes I will take one giant root

Played Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition and reminded that I still would like that game more if it didn’t have units or combat

The combat suuuuuuucks and I had a grand strategy that fell apart entirely because of the bad luck to fail seventeen dice rolls in a row and took me out of the running completely

Fun!

6F32U1X.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    7th Continent is finally punched, assembled, sleeved, boxed, etc, and placed on a shelf to possibly never be played

Actually I’m deeply annoyed that the game is in four or five separate boxes right now. I really wish they’d offered one big box that holds everything.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    7th Continent is now so spread out amongst separate containers for me that I'm honestly wondering whether I should just sell it off rather than try to deal with all of that.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I mean, if you're not insane enough to sleeve everything then it all fits in the two big boxes. I can see an argument for sleeving the blue deck that get shuffled quite a bit, but doing the rest is really quite excessive.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Oh god.

I just got 7th continent/what goes up and thunderstone quest/barricades delivered and dear lord these take up so much space. Both expansion boxes are the same size as their base games. On top of the recent birthday viticulture/Tuscany I have like 4' high of boardgame I need to find a home for.

My board game shelf is dead now.

...Shelf? as in singular? Begone rookie.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    7th Continent is finally punched, assembled, sleeved, boxed, etc, and placed on a shelf to possibly never be played

Actually I’m deeply annoyed that the game is in four or five separate boxes right now. I really wish they’d offered one big box that holds everything.

Huh? everything should be able to fit into the main box + expansion box. what do you have seperated?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Tim Fowers just launched a new Kickstarter game called PegLeg. It's a not only a board game, but a video game as well (combined price of $27).

The boardgame is 1v1 (or 2v2 w/2 copies of the game) where the players are pirates defending their treasure from enemy crabs. You use cannonballs to clear the crabs out, which in turn adds more crabs to your opponent's board.

The video game is the same thing, just vs an AI. The gameplay is basically Peggle meets Plants vs Zombies. You use special cannonballs and ricochet them off special pegs in hopes of clearing crabs. It looks like a lot of fun.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Tim makes good, gorgeous games.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarters, I backed Tussie Mussie because it's cheap, pretty, and about looks like something my wife and I will enjoy. It's a little card game about Victorian flowers.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I considered that yesterday, and ultimately it was the shipping costing as much as the game that put me off, but I still have some personal doubt it's going to be much of anything? It seems like way too much Wingspan hype driving it. The artwork is gorgeous though, and given the number of people backing it maybe some second hand copies will pop up (thus enabling my stingy, bitter self to partake :p ).

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Oh god.

I just got 7th continent/what goes up and thunderstone quest/barricades delivered and dear lord these take up so much space. Both expansion boxes are the same size as their base games. On top of the recent birthday viticulture/Tuscany I have like 4' high of boardgame I need to find a home for.

My board game shelf is dead now.

...Shelf? as in singular? Begone rookie.

We just have zero more room in our current apartment unless I use these boardgames to build the shelves for other smaller boardgames. I blame us owning books. If only we never learned to read!

Broken Tolen is having a sale today. Just ordered one for Terraforming Mars.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Here's a example playthrough of PegLeg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOCINVq22GI

Seems weird only being 2 lanes, but it works. And hey, you can give your opponent crabs! Er wait...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page