As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Sidenote: if there's no way to do a cybered up melee-only run I'll be disappointed.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Unquestionably the best cyberpunk music in my mind is the NeoTokyo soundtrack:

http://0edit.com.au/neotokyo/

A close second place belongs to the soundtracks for Frozen Synapse and its expansion + sequel:

https://nervoustestpilot.co.uk/album/frozen-synapse-original-soundtrack

Those are some of my favorite albums of all time. So, so good

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    moonbeam city confirmed that for some reason i have an irrational love of elizabeth banks

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    moonbeam city confirmed that for some reason i have an irrational love of elizabeth banks

I mean, she's reasonably rad, so it's not entirely irrational.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Does moonbeam city's art style just mean there's no black people?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've been working on this on and off for a good while, not just for Cyberpunk. But this a collection of the best Cyberpunk and Sci-Fi art I've found over the years which is specifically either gritty (no damn aliens), pretty or aww. It's also "franchise free" barring a few nods and redesigns here and there. Hopefully there's something you haven't seen before.

hFdxy9L.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    What I find surprising about that art is artists, free of franchises, come up with awesome looking vehicles and body armour.

And what we get in sci fi video games never looks anywhere near as good as what's in all that art.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So is Moonbeam City basically Archer, but set in Robocop world?

More like Archer, but set in the album cover of Duran Duran’s Rio

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I feel like especially with Sci-Fi and Cyberpunk, to use a quote from old Boba Fett talking about his helmet.

"This, is my face."

Is something I really like aesthetically. That you can have a faceless character but not have it really be faceless. For example Briareos from Appleseed's "rabbit ears" and monoeye has been subtly copied many, many times by different artists because it's such a great design. And I like that in a future society you can have a chunk of metal be accepted as your "face" and no one bats an eye.

I'm hoping for mods that let's me have a boombox for a head in Cyberpunk essentially. Complete with "rescue girlfriend" backstory.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

I have the whole season. I'd need to re-watch it, but I think there's some POC in a few episodes? I don't know if the Patrick Nagel art-style ever really allowed for anything beyond pale white face/neon everything else.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

If the question is "Is everyone white?" in the first episode, there's a quintessential Latino criminal "genius" (genius in the sense that almost everyone in the series is really stupid) cocaine smuggling in the first episode.

Everyone basically just has bleached white skin, with slightly different facial features (and voice work).

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I have the whole season. I'd need to re-watch it, but I think there's some POC in a few episodes? I don't know if the Patrick Nagel art-style ever really allowed for anything beyond pale white face/neon everything else.

That's a shame. Black skin lights so beautifully with colored lights and neon, and I'm sure they capture that well in animation. Example in the spoiler
    aa790a2a4dd75f586cfa5c23d5a7ce2b.png

Edit: Also a shame for, ya know, non-aesthetic reasons as well.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Not having cable or watching TV in recent years (no ideological stand, just have other things I'd rather spend time and money on), this was the first I'd ever heard of MBC. I'll have to catch up on that, I think. Thanks, thread!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    What I find surprising about that art is artists, free of franchises, come up with awesome looking vehicles and body armour.

And what we get in sci fi video games never looks anywhere near as good as what's in all that art.
    The two latest Deus Ex games looked more or less exactly like a ton of this art. Better, in a lot of cases, because not just the armor but also the civilian clothes were stylish.

• Options
    Also, I'm sure a bunch of that armor would be a pain in the ass to model and animate. Like 2-3x harder.

• Options
    It's just my mind actively recoils from 90s, black, skin-tight lazy "power armor".

Show me the function, the bits and bobs, logos, plugs, camo etc. I really like designs that have some thought put into them. Jensen is a great example both in his mechanical design but also his clothes.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It's just my mind actively recoils from 90s, black, skin-tight lazy "power armor".

Show me the function, the bits and bobs, logos, plugs, camo etc. I really like designs that have some thought put into them. Jensen is a great example both in his mechanical design but also his clothes.

I love when stuff has brand names on it (not necessarily actual brand names mind you). Although I suppose given the context I wouldn't be against real brand names. Like a war-bot with "BAE Systems" on it or a set of hightech armor with "Lockheed Martin" stamped on it. Either way, stuff in the real world has logos/brands on it all the time and it is something that is often mission in a lot of future-y stuff. It is a small detail that goes a long way to making a place feel real to me.

For example;

In the most recent season of Full Metal Panic, Sagara is told to pick up AS parts from town and is given a list of the parts needed. It was stuff like "Muscle Package- Texas Instruments or Siemens, Siemens Fluid Capacitor, Honeywell Laser Gyro (no Chinese knockoffs!!!)".

I am a sucker for details like that.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I actually only like the non-Cold-War-Power-Armor-Magic-Arms-Race parts of Fullmetal Panic (in other words, Fumoffu), but I give the series big credit a great cameo by Janes.

That being said, logos have an actual context, and it depends on the functional niche occupied by power armor. Military aircraft, tanks, armored fighting vehicles--none of these are done up like Nascar. They don't have logos--they do have emblems, roundels, tail numbers and sometimes squadron markings. But not logos. Over commercialization is a thing, but there's a reason why the elaborate, clearly tangible power armor in Stand Alone Complex or, for that matter, Bubblegum Crisis isn't pasted with corporate logos, even from their own manufacturers.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I actually only like the non-Cold-War-Power-Armor-Magic-Arms-Race parts of Fullmetal Panic (in other words, Fumoffu), but I give the series big credit a great cameo by Janes.

That being said, logos have an actual context, and it depends on the functional niche occupied by power armor. Military aircraft, tanks, armored fighting vehicles--none of these are done up like Nascar. They don't have logos--they do have emblems, roundels, tail numbers and sometimes squadron markings. But not logos. Over commercialization is a thing, but there's a reason why the elaborate, clearly tangible power armor in Stand Alone Complex or, for that matter, Bubblegum Crisis isn't pasted with corporate logos, even from their own manufacturers.

It's not mandatory, but even things like Future Soldiers having flags on their shoulders, harnesses, canteens, little details like that.

For civilian cyberpunk characters, the fashion is the big thing. Which 2077 looks awesome about. I'm exciting about 2077 mods just for the fashion.

• Options

Oh no I don’t mean like corporate sponsorships, I meant manufacturer’s stamps. Which is something that you can find on most all military hardware from guns to jets.

Hell, our MATV’s in the US Army have the Oshkosh logo right on the front.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Axen wrote: »

Oh no I don’t mean like corporate sponsorships, I meant manufacturer’s stamps. Which is something that you can find on most all military hardware from guns to jets.

Sure. Again, contextual. In the land of Boeing and Lockheed, massive corporations that they are, branding is a lot more common with, say, Uralvagonzavod (the Russian JSC that is also the largest tank manufacturer in the world, and has partners in India and elsewhere), or the United Aircraft Corporation. Outside of demonstration and airshow models (and even then those too sometimes), their actual delivered hardware is rarely visibly branded--but it's obvious emblazoned with the force fielding it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

The two latest Deus Ex games looked more or less exactly like a ton of this art. Better, in a lot of cases, because not just the armor but also the civilian clothes were stylish.

Might have to give them a go then. I've got both of them.

• Options

Sure. Again, contextual. In the land of Boeing and Lockheed, massive corporations that they are, branding is a lot more common than, say, Uralvagonzavod (the Russian JSC that is also the largest tank manufacturer in the world, and has partners in India and elsewhere), or the United Aircraft Corporation. Outside of demonstration and airshow models (and even then those too sometimes), their actual delivered hardware is rarely visibly branded--but it's obvious emblazoned with the force fielding it.

I'm not talking giant corporate logos. I'm talking about manufacturer's stamps. Everything has a manufacturer's stamp.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Sure. Again, contextual. In the land of Boeing and Lockheed, massive corporations that they are, branding is a lot more common than, say, Uralvagonzavod (the Russian JSC that is also the largest tank manufacturer in the world, and has partners in India and elsewhere), or the United Aircraft Corporation. Outside of demonstration and airshow models (and even then those too sometimes), their actual delivered hardware is rarely visibly branded--but it's obvious emblazoned with the force fielding it.

I'm not talking giant corporate logos. I'm talking about manufacturer's stamps. Everything has a manufacturer's stamp.

Well, like you said, those aren't necessarily logos. Things like serial numbers, factory codes or even proofing marks probably won't be visible at a distance. Or even up close necessarily.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yeah the new Deus Ex games are pretty good.

Makes the bullshit Square pulled with Mankind Divided even worse.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Yeah the new Deus Ex games are pretty good.

Makes the bullshit Square pulled with Mankind Divided even worse.

Human Revolution is legit one of my favourite games ever. It's funny, because I sort of bounced off it on my first go. Deciding to give it another shot was a very, very good idea. I have four copies of it now :lol:

Mankind Divided is still very good, although not to the same heights. Shame what Squeenix pulled with it, but it's definitely still worth playing, there's some great stuff in there.

I still live in hope that there might be another one, one day.

Jazz on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    What uhh

What did Squeenix pull?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What uhh

What did Squeenix pull?

Forced Eidos to make it into a two parter, which contributed to people feeling that the game didn't end well and definitely had an effect on its reception.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    What uhh

What did Squeenix pull?

Forced Eidos to make it into a two parter, which contributed to people feeling that the game didn't end well and definitely had an effect on its reception.

And then decided to shelve the series rather than making the next part (so far), because their sales expectations were utterly insane.

• Options
    Also Technobabylon is a truly great and fair point and click adventure game on Steam.

• Options
    Also Technobabylon is a truly great and fair point and click adventure game on Steam.

I've been meaning to get to that.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    What uhh

What did Squeenix pull?

The microtransactions, pre order model, the multiplayer mode, and all of the "jenses stories" were from publisher interference.

Basically they overloaded what was supposed to be just a single player campaign to extract value from players, overworked the devs, and in the end made it less profitable than its predecessor due to lukewarm reviews and ratings.

And since the publisher-mandated "Deus Ex Universe" bullshit didnt pan out they canned the 2nd game.

Basically fuck Square.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    At least they fixed the pre-order model before the game came out. But it was stupid enough that I think it left a bad taste in a lot of mouths, which wasn't aided by other stupid stuff still being there.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Human Revolution had one time consumable dlc items in a single player game. That's the most egregious shit I've ever seen. The only thing worse would be if they came from a loot box.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    All of the attempts to extract long term value from customers were bad, but the multiplayer took actual people off the main project to work on it. They lost man hours that were going to the single player campaign to make some half assed breach mode nobody asked for, and consequently nobody played.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Human Revolution had one time consumable dlc items in a single player game. That's the most egregious shit I've ever seen. The only thing worse would be if they came from a loot box.

Wasn't that MD rather than HR? I forget.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Is that the one that starts with you
    locked in an apartment
    or is that something else? I couldn't get out. It's the only time a game made me feel daft.

danx on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Wasn't that MD rather than HR? I forget.

MD gave you 3 or 4 consumable praxis kits if you linked your account to the iPad version. HR's DLC was preorder bonuses like unique guns.

• Options
    danx wrote: »

Is that the one that starts with you
    locked in an apartment
    or is that something else? I couldn't get out. It's the only time a game made me feel daft.

With the Indian girl hacker? Yeah, it's real good. I was going to pick up Gemini Rue as well once I finish this semester of school.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    All of the attempts to extract long term value from customers were bad, but the multiplayer took actual people off the main project to work on it. They lost man hours that were going to the single player campaign to make some half assed breach mode nobody asked for, and consequently nobody played.

Time out MD had multiplayer? I beat that game 3 times and I don't think I ever once launched that