As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Quiet Year] Life in the shadow of ancient wars

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Spring

f399wt5zk36x.png
    Abundances: fresh water
    Scarcities: scrap, ships, warriors
    Projects: dismantling a graveyard mech (3 weeks)
    The Third Week - 8♥️
    An old piece of machinery is discovered, broken but perhaps repairable. What is it? What would it be useful for?
    or...
    An old piece of machinery is discovered, cursed and dangerous. How does the community destroy it?

@Elldren is up.

simonwolf on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    One of the older children discovers another ancient intact mech in the depths of the graveyard, but this one is somehow still alive. It calls to her. It would take some effort, and the scrap we harvest from its dead counterparts, to bring it back to full health.

We could use it for defense but such beasts are temperamental. Once they have chosen a rider they bond with only them and accept no other. The girl is young and has no training or experience as a warrior.

I hold a discussion: should we restore the ancient mech?

fuck gendered marketing
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    We have so few warriors left that there’s little choice. Maybe this girl was meant to find it. We should repair what we can.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    There is a reason why we make Scrap from the behemoths rather than make them allies. We must not rekindle the ancients’ follies.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    This is an unprecedented opportunity to harness some of our forebears' power and better understand their technology. We should do everything possible to restore and operationalize the mech.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    I suppose we will try and train the girl as best we can to use the power of the ancient mech to protect the village...

And that brings the discussion to a close

fuck gendered marketing
    Spring

f567np0jnb8s.png

Projects: dismantling a graveyard mech (2 weeks)
    The Fourth Week - 7♥️
    Where does everyone sleep? Who is unhappy with this arrangement, and why?
    or...
    What natural predators roam this area? Are you safe?

@desc is up.

I should probably draw our anime protagonist on the map.

fuck gendered marketing
    Probably! Feel free to post up a fresh map

zd0b2q0osjky.png

The predators roaming the area are the shard wolves that are believed in folklore to have been genetically modified in the last war for unknown purposes but are now a massive network of packs that roam the countryside.

We had always been safe enough with warriors to patrol and guard, but now the wolves are emboldened and wander near the village at night.

Hold a discussion:

Could we repair the mech and use it to defend us against the wolves?

We mustn’t rely on this “mech” to save us; our community must restore its warriors, rather than rely on one girl.

If what we believe to be true about the mech's capabilities holds, it should be able to trivially dispatch the wolves at no risk to its pilot or our community.

Neither the mech nor the girl are ready yet to take on such foes. We must do everything we can to bolster our defenses for now, including but not limited to repairing ancient weapons.

fuck gendered marketing
    The village debates the issue back and forth and is unable to come to a clear consensus — the issue is shelved, but some villagers walk away still plotting and discussing the potential to use the machine for wolf defense if it’s able to be repaired.

The conversation is closed.

Spring
    Projects: dismantling a graveyard mech (1 weeks)
    The Fifth Week - 10♥️
    There’s another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?
    or...
    What belief or practice helps to unify your community?

Hairyfolk tramp across the lands in the south, wandering shepherds who live in leather tents and lead their herds of woolly goats from one fertile grassland to another. Bound by their animals to the dirt, they fear travelling too close to the western saltwaters, and drink only the milk of their beasts.

g5hq4satym3u.png

@credeiki, the dismantling project is complete; please tell us how it ended.

The ancient mech has successfully been dismantled and we no longer have a scarcity of scrap for the moment. One younger scrap collector was injured when an old hinge popped open unexpectedly; another older one feels confident that dismantling this mech has given them enough technical knowhow to get a good start on repairing the other one.

3hlyomo88th4.png

I start a project. Speartips, arrowheads, and blades begin to be cold-forged using the new scrap, to arm and train a new generation of warriors for the community. It will take two weeks to supply enough to arm a small militia.

That ends the week.

edited June 2019
    Spring
    Scarcities: ships, warriors
    Projects: cold-forging weapons (two weeks)
    The Sixth Week - 5♥️
    There is a disquieting legend about this place. What is it?
    or...
    Alarming weather patterns destroy something. How and what?

@credeiki is up.

simonwolf on
    There is a disquieting legend about this place. What is it?

There are said to be technological ruins in the depth of the lake that some day will lose their structural integrity and leak poisons and mutagens into our only source of water. Or is it already happening? Are we the same as we were before? Do we live as long?

I hold a discussion: what is our community's relationship to the hairy folk? What do we want it to be?

The hairy folk are our lessers. It would be beneath us to interact, even in a time of need!

The hairy folk refuse to trade with us for our water or our fish. If we could open them up to trade it would be a boon, but they are superstitious and weird and clothe themselves only in hair.

fuck gendered marketing
    Perhaps the wolves haunt their herds as they haunt our lands; there is potential for us to trade security to them for wool and milk.

Why would we trade for their milk--we don't want to contract whatever it is that makes them so weird and hairy.

The discussion is closed

Spring

3hlyomo88th4.png
    Projects: cold-forging weapons (one week)
    The Seventh Week - A♥️
    What group has the highest status in the community? What must people do to gain inclusion in this group?
    or...
    Are there distinct family units in the community? If so, what family structures are common?

@Elldren is up.[/quote]

calling doctor @elldren, doctor fine, doctor howard

edited June 2019
    What group has the highest status in the community? What must people do to gain inclusion in this group?

The highest status and political power are held by the village Elder and the Elder's Wives. Selection to become a Wife is of course done by the Elder, and they then ceremonially marry. By long-standing tradition, when the Elder retires or dies the new Elder is elected by the Wives from their own number. It is rumored that the first Elder was originally a man, but that's just silly: after all a man can't be a Wife.

I start a project: it's long since time the village repaired the Mech we discovered to aid in our defense against Wolves and Hairy-folk. This should take 5 weeks

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    The project to cold forge weapons ends. Hammering scraps of mech-steel into shape, sharpened on the stones, strapped and made into spears and gladiī, we now have arms to supply a small militia.

The week ends.

5c33c67p1r6z.png
    Projects: mech repair (5 weeks)
    The Eighth Week - J♥️
    You see a good omen. What is it?
    or...
    You see a bad omen. What is it?
    @desc is up.

f92ouv8ff8qh.jpg

We see a bad omen: the aurora borealis has returned, but this season it is warped and unnatural.

Discover something new: When the warped aurora is visible at night, the shard wolves begin howling in voices that sound more human. Their howls are in an uncomfortably musical harmony. This animal chorus grows closer every time the aurora is seen.

edited June 2019
    The Ninth Week - 4♥️
    What important and basic tools does the community lack?
    or...
    Where are you storing your food? Why is this a risky place to store things?

Salted fish, smoked meat, dried berries are stored in the longhouse, hanging from rafters or in pottery and brine, with its comings and goings kept track of by the Elders. But the doors, kept open to let wind and cool air maintain the preserving of the food, would pose little challenge to any committed predator, man or beast alike -- and with too few committed guards left, even less chance of stopping one.

I start a project. We may have the weapons, but none trained to use them. A five-week process will take our remaining able-bodied, and the young close enough in age to train, and forge them into something akin to the warriors we lost to the Jackals.

simonwolf on
    dk8u7p7pd2x7.png
    Projects: mech repair (3 weeks), warrior training (5 weeks)

The Tenth Week - 9♥️
    A charismatic young girl convinces many to help her with an elaborate scheme. What is it? Who joins her endeavors? Start a project to reflect.
    or...
    A charismatic young girl tries to tempt many into sinful or dangerous activity. Why does she do this? How does the community respond?

@credeiki is up.

Benne, the young girl who heard the mech calling to her, tells her friends that her affinity comes from spending playing with the hidden violet crystal at a young age; she believes it gave her powers. A group of teenagers begins to follow her into the forest at night to sit around the crystal in the hopes of experiencing a similar effect.

I start a project: ...mech pilot transformation camp?? this will take 3 weeks.

The Eleventh Week - 3♥️
    Someone new arrives. Who?
    or...
    Two of the community’s younger members get into a fight. What provoked them?

@Elldren is up.

paging elder @Elldren to report to the council of chiefs

edited July 2019
    Two of the community’s younger members get into a fight. What provoked them?

At Benne's camp two of the teenagers, Aura and Caele, get into an argument over which one of them is Benne's favorite. Benne, not wanting to make a decision between them and hoping for everyone to get along, says that she likes both of them equally. This of course backfires and Aura starts a fight for Benne's affection, punching Caele in the face. Caele responds by grabbing one of the newly forged spears nearby and he stabs Aura, severely wounding her.

I hold a discussion: What action should the community take in response to Caele's transgression?

(edit: sorry for how long it's been taking me to reply.)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    Without ships, we cannot send the child on a traditional exile -- perhaps they can be cast out to the southern hinterlands, instead.

This southern hinterlands idea has merit — I fear we’re too soft on this younger generation but perhaps a good exiling will teach a lesson.

We don't have enough hale warriors to protect our lands as it is without banishing more youths; conscript him.

The boy can serve as a lone picket to the south. He has at least shown he knows how to use a weapon after all.

The discussion is closed

fuck gendered marketing