As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Turns out I spoke too soon and our plan for tonight didn't work.

So we had two good nights in a row in the main bedroom upstairs.

Last night he wouldn't settle and was very warm so we decided to go downstairs to the living room where he promptly slept like a log for about 7 hours (except for feedings).

So tonight we though we'd get the windows open and cool everywhere down. We went to bed in the downstairs bedroom thinking the cooler room would help, but he had the same issue as last night.

So we brought him in to the living room and he fell asleep straight away despite the rooms being the same temperature.

I'm not sure why the living room works so well for him. Is it because he has most of his daytime naps in there and is used to that room? But that wouldn't explain why he slept perfectly fine upstairs for two nights.

He's only 8 days old but I don't want him developing bad habits!

8 days old? You let that kid sleep wherever the fuck they want, if they're actually sleeping there

And don't stress out too much about all of these variables. Some might be a factor, most aren't, but you'll never nail down some kind of magic formula before he goes flip flopping on you anyway at this age.

We did sleep training with both of ours, and they are both great sleepers. Our second started sleeping through the night so young we feel guilty telling people. And then we have friends who follow the same tactics and have opposite results.

But one thing is the same in all cases: an 8-day-old baby just DGAF.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    An 8 day old is a reflex driven larvae. Don't worry about bad habits.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Niko is also going to be heading into pre-K having had little exposure to kids his own age!

Hopefully he and Mini-Muzz are just fine. :)

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I currently view dropping Middle Guy into a preschool class with the same dread horror I'd have dropping a live grenade into a preschool class

Half of me is convinced I'll be down at that school resolving conflicts with kids or teachers every other day, and the other half is sure he'll adapt immediately and become their leader and run them like a cult

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    An 8 day old is a reflex driven larvae. Don't worry about bad habits.

Yep. They can't even reliably move the right limb on command.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    I currently view dropping Middle Guy into a preschool class with the same dread horror I'd have dropping a live grenade into a preschool class

Half of me is convinced I'll be down at that school resolving conflicts with kids or teachers every other day, and the other half is sure he'll adapt immediately and become their leader and run them like a cult

I know a lot parents. I don't know any that weren't at least partly apprehensive about preschool.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Figgy wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »

I know a lot parents. I don't know any that weren't at least partly apprehensive about preschool.

I know he's not unique in this, but Middle Guy can be (usually is) a lot to handle. He's high energy, the needy middle child, highly manipulative, a Daredevil, with a preternatural sneak ability, and a *massive* charisma score

Just now running down to move clothes in the basement (less than sixty seconds), I was asked the following questions: Can I have a milk? Can we watch a movie? Are you doing laundry? Can you bring us fire chips? Are fire chips Doritos? Can I have some? Can we build a tower? Can we build a rocket ship? Are you going upstairs?

The dude does not take no for an answer, and does nothing that isn't his idea. His battery doesn't run out; just switches from "juiced" to "asshole mode", and he can charge it by doing literally hundreds of laps around the first floor of our house (usually just before naptime, because *of course*). Sometimes he'll scream at random intervals, literally just because he's bored and entertaining himself. We just had workers here fixing our first floor, and they knew we had a big guy who went to school, and a baby, but they knew Middle Guy by name because they heard him get his name yelled at him all week to get away from their power tools and stop pretending to be their site manager

I love him and he's my Daddy's boy, but he's also the single most exhausting one of the kids by a fair bit most days. I worry about him chewing up everyone's time and patience, and being "the problem kid", but mostly because he's my little guy and I already know his pain in the ass characteristics are all worth it: he's whip smart, and wickedly funny, has a bizarre and enthralling sense of imagination, and will in strange moments let his guard down and be completely loving and tender and open, and then in that moment swipe your wallet and run out of the room cackling, you dumb sucker thinking he was injured. And I hope the preschool (teachers and kids) realize that he's worth it too, instead of deciding he's "just too much"

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I highly recommend "The Solar System Song" from KidsTV123 on YouTube and "The Planet Song" by Kids learning tube.

Have been watching these on repeat for the last two weeks.

Also Story Bots sun song.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I highly recommend "The Solar System Song" from KidsTV123 on YouTube and "The Planet Song" by Kids learning tube.

Have been watching these on repeat for the last two weeks.

Also Story Bots sun song.

Oh man, my daughter listened to the song so much when she was one. She'd put her arms out wide like the planets and slowly rock from side to side. It was super cute.

She doesn't listen to it anymore, which is fine since it doesn't include Pluto. Declassifying Pluto as a planet is a mockery of justice!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Who has four* thumbs and just made the firstish page of the local news website in a photo for the grand opening of a new local park?

If you guessed me and my oldest in our Cub Scout uniforms, you guessed right!

And then both of my kids made their own jibneh at the farmers market today with their favorite booth lady. Which turned out amazing.

Good parenting days, man

* Technically 8, I guess, since my parents were there, too ...

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just looked it up, jibneh = arab feta cheese? Sounds delicious

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Just looked it up, jibneh = arab feta cheese? Sounds delicious

Yeah, it’s amazing. They wrap it in something halfway between naan and a tortilla and cook it up on an inverted wok.

They also make amazing zaatar maneesh.

There are actual terms for the rest of these that I’m forgetting right now, but they’re all delicious.

I think it's awesome that you're teaching them how to cook. I've been trying to have Little Man learn to cook along with me, but he learns best doing things by hand, and has managed to get himself bad burns the last couple times we tried. So currently he's been downgraded to some simple microwave stuff until we've decided he'll remember what "hot" means for the whole process

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lordy, I could cry.

Little miss had been identifying numbers for what feels like ages. She can do basic add and subtract and can count more or less to at least thirty. Sometimes she skips seventeen.

But she's refused to do any work with her letters and it's been making me nervous (she's not even 3.5 yet). But I'm a letters person not a numbers person and I want her to be good at them.

Yesterday while we're driving home from the hardware store (the one that has a bouncy castle inside for kids), she points to a sign "mummy! That has my letter name on it!"

And it was a sign that said "Elevated" something. Her name is Eleanor.

Y'all. I could've cried.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sapling just gave us a heart attack. She tripped and fell, and I think she cut a part of her lip/gums with her teeth, because blood was pouring out of her mouth. Does anyone know if they do mouth stitches?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah they do mouth stitches. They are not easy to get used to.

Her upper lip was attached to her gums in the front by some connective tissue that looks like it was mostly severed in the fall.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Today baby mittens (6 months) learned how to make fart noises with her mouth. I can neither confirm nor deny I was the one who taught her that...

This is the first of many bad habits I'm going to teach her, right? :biggrin:

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ouch, I’d probably get her checked out. :bigfrown:

Edit, meant for Brody, but maybe works for m!ttens??

davidsdurions on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Today baby mittens (6 months) learned how to make fart noises with her mouth. I can neither confirm nor deny I was the one who taught her that...

This is the first of many bad habits I'm going to teach her, right? :biggrin:

Teaching Peanut how to stick it tongue out has probably been one of my favorite joys, mainly because momma bear and I taught him how to do it when taking selfies.

Boy was grandma surprised when she took a selfie with him and he instinctively stuck his tongue out right when she took the picture.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

@Brody sounds as if she may have had a slight lip tie which ripped in the fall. Hopefully that’s it! But if there’s a lot of blood I would definitely have her seen!

It stopped bleeding pretty quick.

Spoilers for kind of gross
    dinuc9arikxh.jpg

Hey, a few of my friends paid good money to have their kids’ lip ties severed by a doctor. She just did it for free!

I mean, also, ouch, and I hope it heals quickly! I’m glad it was nothing serious though!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Hey, a few of my friends paid good money to have their kids’ lip ties severed by a doctor. She just did it for free!

What? Why? I've never heard of this before.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

it's supposedly meant to help with getting a good latch for breastfeeding. Also done with tongue ties.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ohhhh, that makes sense.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

it's supposedly meant to help with getting a good latch for breastfeeding. Also done with tongue ties.

It may have been something that we would have done, but with her cleft palate, she couldn't breast feed anyways.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Huh, I had never heard of that either.

Ranlin on
    There’re mixed opinions in the medical fields as to how useful it is, but my friends who had it done swear it made a real difference.

It’s also rarely done to help with speech difficulties, and there’s also some who believe a thick lip tie might hasten/cause tooth decay, since it’s then harder to clean the teeth.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It's called a labial frenectomy. My wife had one done when she was younger, and it's been suggested that we do one on our little dude, but his dentist says it's not needed, and almost certainly not the root of his food or language issues, so we'll wait for now.

On the tongue it's a lingual frenectomy.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I know tongue ties can cause problems with latching, but lip ties are a new one to me as far as causing that kind of problem. I read somewhere before I had my son that if the baby has an obviously problematic tongue tie at the time of birth the midwife (or anyone delivering I guess, he was a home birth though) can loosen or cut it right away and it's done without a fuss, but if it isn't done at that point then it's considered a procedure with rules about how and when and where you need to be and stuff.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My wife just texted from her first day at a new job that she's experiencing spotting now. She's having like a total breakdown.

I'm trying to tell her from what I've read and heard here that I know it's scary but lets just try to stay calm.

She's talking like she's 100% sure she miscarried but I have no idea if she's blowing it out of proportion or what. It's hard to ask questions while she's at work because I don't want her to get all worked up and upset. She keeps apologizing for "making you think this was actually happening".

This sucks.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    It sucks 110%.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Try to focus on the bright side, when she gets home and everything is ok, you’ll have a anchor point to use for calming things down in the future. I used it with my wife a lot during her first pregnancy. There were countless times of, “Remember when you were spotting and feared the worst?” and “Let’s wait until we hear what the doctor says.” The wife always trusted the doctor”s advice over mine and it made for a good calming technique.

It’s all really scary and unknown, so just keep trying to be as supportive and calm as you can. And never let her see you sweat, no matter how twisted up you’re feeling. Gotta be a rock and tell her after the pregnancy how scared you were at times. Although calmly admitting you’re nervous too is sometimes the right call. Can’t have her think you’re an uncaring machine.

Basically it’s a big balancing act. :wink:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    Toward the beginning of my second pregnancy I ended up with a yeast infection, which I am told is not the world's least common thing. You really can't take diflucan without a doctor's say-so, so I called my doctor and they said monistat is okay. I happened to have a little spotting shortly after and called and they were like no stop it's fine, spotting happens and is common in early pregnancy. And it was fine. The end.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Also, it would probably help to just acknowledge that she is scared. She'll have probably started thinking a lot about what being pregnant is going to be like, and being a mother, and now she's worried that her body is failing to do that, and I can't imagine how upsetting that must be. My parents had at least two miscarriages in the course of also having my brother and I, and I know that those moments were super devastating for my mom. If there is shit around the house that she normally takes care of, it might help if you tried to cover some of it for her.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also, something that's often lost:

Every pregnancy is different. Even for the same person. So while yes, the worst could be happening, it just as likely could be excessive attachment spotting, which my wife got with our #2 I think.
    You're a sample size of 1, so best to stay positive as pregnancy does crazy things to the body which often includes random bleeding.

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    Have her call her doctor/midwife and tell them everything. They can tell her if she needs to be concerned. I spotted through my whole first trimester with my first kid. Scared me shitless every time and every time I was on the phone with my doctor to make sure we were ok. There’s a bunch of things they’ll check for to make sure they are both ok. But spotting is pretty normal. Terrifying, but normal.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thank you all so much for your support and comments. I appreciate it very much.

She's telling me she's very confident it's happening. Right now I think it's best to just be agreeing with her, supporting her, and telling her I'm there for her rather than asking "are you SURE?" over and over via text. When she gets home from work I'll gently try to ask if she's really positive or what. She has complained of painful cramps.

I asked her to please call the doctor but we hadn't even called one yet so she doesn't want to. Again, I want to argue that she should but don't know if it's my place. This would be the start of her 5th week, and when she called her OB last time they said don't even schedule anything until week 8 so she's feeling like there's no point.

I'm hopeful that it's just a bad scare but she seems very confident it isn't.

We're both first timers with this though so I hope she's just freaking out.

Thanks again for keeping me sane during the workday...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.