As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    Unlockable mini picture.
    zf62p3bh7h7k.jpeg

Scenario 8. Squidface is quite good. The bosses were both immune to poison, which blunted him somewhat, but he’s decent. I think I might cheat a little and do only 2 Gloomhaven scenarios instead of 4 for the Brute’s Vengeance quest. If I wait for 4 it’ll likely be another half dozen scenarios before he retires and I want to try something new.

From the looks of it I won’t unlock a new class with his quest so I think I’ll try the Cragheart next.

Bogart on
    edited June 2019
    Unlockable mini pictures.
    k1yx3vk95yuz.jpeg

Did the Vengeance quest a bit sooner than I should have but I was kinda done with the Brute. Cragheart now.
    xpksejy5tqv6.jpeg

Barely managed the second Vengeance quest, but got incredibly lucky with a 2x modifier with my Brute’s strongest attack vs the very well shielded boss one turn before I was about to get hammered. Envelope X is mad and awesome.

Bogart on
    A random city event put me over 10 rep so hello there Sun dude. I’ll stick with the Cragheart for now or maybe try playing three dudes but that seems like a lot for solo play.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Three toons is the game's sweet spot, and I've been consistently solo-ing with them without problems. I use this to help keep my details organized: https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    Squid / Cthulhu Face Spoilers:
    k1yx3vk95yuz.jpeg

Did the Vengeance quest a bit sooner than I should have but I was kinda done with the Brute. Cragheart now.
    Squid/Cthulhu face spoilers
    xpksejy5tqv6.jpeg

Barely managed the second Vengeance quest, but got incredibly lucky with a 2x modifier with my Brute’s strongest attack vs the very well shielded boss one turn before I was about to get hammered. Envelope X is mad and awesome.

Just a heads up - maybe put those images behind spoilers? There's definitely a hidden class mini in there.

Also how many scenarios have you done that you could have hit max rep already? O.o My group is ~17 scenarios in and we're only at the -2 or -3 gold discount...

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    Squid / Cthulhu Face Spoilers:
    k1yx3vk95yuz.jpeg

Squid/Cthulhu face spoilers
    xpksejy5tqv6.jpeg

Just a heads up - maybe put those images behind spoilers? There's definitely a hidden class mini in there.

Also how many scenarios have you done that you could have hit max rep already? O.o My group is ~17 scenarios in and we're only at the -2 or -3 gold discount...

+/-10 isn't max, 20 is.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited June 2019
    I’m at 11 rep after 12 scenarios. I’ve picked up a few from city and road events but the main plot and the Vengeance quest give up a good sized chunk of rep (like I said I did the Vengeance quest after only 2 Gloomhaven quests rather than 4) so I got about 5 or 6 from those. My discount just got to -3, so I guess I’m at the same level as you a couple of scenarios early.

If you get an event that has a choice like help a dude or go steal some shit the help option will probably give up some rep.

Bogart on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    We unlocked Sun via a personal quest, and someone else keeps track of the party stats sheet in my group, so maybe he just didn't mention anything because of that? Shrug - unclear. It's funny to me how prosperity/reputation can shift so wildly depending on kinda random factors. We went like 5-6 scenarios gaining zero prosperity, and then the last couple we've shot almost the whole way through prosperity 3.

fdrrisv121hj.jpeg

Scenario 13. Cragheart and Cthulhu aren’t the best combo but the stun area effect power is amazing and can lock down the majority of bad guys for a nice turn of unanswered damage.

Cragheart is fine but I miss the Brute’s constant big damage hits.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Our team continues to be relentless murder machines. Eclipse is a fucking machine. The brutal efficiency is not something I was fully prepared for to be honest. It is insane that Eclipse is a ruthless murder machine leaving behind occasional left overs for other group members while also generating all the experience in the world. This class probably isn't as over powered as it feels to me, but I would be a little surprised. It helps that the class covers my greatest weakness, and I am naturally prone to a play style that overcomes the few barriers to unleashing the nasty bullshit the class is capable of.

I might try moving the scenario level up by 1 every time to see if that has an impact on the difficulty. The last mission was a breeze, so it's possible I'm reasonable enough at the game for the solo difficulty boost to be appropriate. It definitely wasn't when I started, as my repeated failures to do the first scenario will prove. Normally I wouldn't be hitting level 3 scenarios until both my guys were level 6, which feels like a long way away. We'll see how it goes.

Gnizmo wrote: »
    Our team continues to be relentless murder machines. Eclipse is a fucking machine. The brutal efficiency is not something I was fully prepared for to be honest. It is insane that Eclipse is a ruthless murder machine leaving behind occasional left overs for other group members while also generating all the experience in the world. This class probably isn't as over powered as it feels to me, but I would be a little surprised. It helps that the class covers my greatest weakness, and I am naturally prone to a play style that overcomes the few barriers to unleashing the nasty bullshit the class is capable of.

Yeah Eclipse doesn't mess around.

Although for "all the xp in the world" what you want is Notes...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I might try moving the scenario level up by 1 every time to see if that has an impact on the difficulty. The last mission was a breeze, so it's possible I'm reasonable enough at the game for the solo difficulty boost to be appropriate. It definitely wasn't when I started, as my repeated failures to do the first scenario will prove. Normally I wouldn't be hitting level 3 scenarios until both my guys were level 6, which feels like a long way away. We'll see how it goes.

Scenario difficulty is Average Character level, divided by 2, rounded up. So you actually start doing scenario difficulty 3 at average character level 5, not 6.

Vyolynce wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Yeah Eclipse doesn't mess around.

Although for "all the xp in the world" what you want is Notes...

My dude has consistently been slightly ahead of Notes in both scenarios so far. By slight I mean like a couple xp, but still.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Scenario difficulty is Average Character level, divided by 2, rounded up. So you actually start doing scenario difficulty 3 at average character level 5, not 6.

... and if you're playing solo, you're generally supposed to add 1 to the difficulty due to having perfect information.

Elvenshae wrote: »

... and if you're playing solo, you're generally supposed to add 1 to the difficulty due to having perfect information.

I haven't been doing this, mostly because I failed the first scenario three times and the second one twice, so it didn't seem like another disadvantage was wise.

The first scenario is harder than normal to drive home some strategic lessons.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited June 2019
    ue0ybio3r4yo.jpeg

This was pretty fucking hard. Scenario 14. It looked like a two player party got reamed on the difficulty compared to three, and after failing twice at +1 difficulty I put the level back down to normal.

Bogart on
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    This has probably been asked a ton of times, I apologize for not being good enough at google-fu to pull this info.

We are going to play our first game of Gloomhaven tomorrow. 3 players. I am the designated rules guy, so I've been reading the manual as my first step.
    But I thought I'd try and reach out and see if anyone has some good community resources to use.. whether some print-able player aids or frequently messed up rules sheet.
    Or even a player-revised manual or something that makes this huge monstrosity easier to parse.

I'll even take stories of hilarious first time mistakes and why I should learn from them or replicate them for similar hilarity :P

So thanks for the help I got on this; we made good use of the FAQ and the tips were helpful.

Unfortunately, it seems we are very bad at this game, ha ha. We did a 3p game with the Cragheart, Scoundrel, and Mind Thief. Maybe this isn't a good combo, because we got pretty wrecked.
    We made it to the last room of the first scenario before the Bones guys just demolished the whole party.
    Are we playing the Target symbol correctly, in that the Living Bones can attack multiple people on the same action if they're all adjacent?

We tried it again but the six bandit guards in the first room, but I guess we positioned badly because the Cragheart had the lowest initiative and was in front, so all six of the guards swarmed him and murdered him in the opening turn. At that point we considered it pointless to continue and just gave up that run.

I think we're going to have to try different starting classes next time we get together to try this or something. Or just keep losing until we level up to level 2 simply from bashing our heads against the wall.

This has probably been asked a ton of times, I apologize for not being good enough at google-fu to pull this info.

We are going to play our first game of Gloomhaven tomorrow. 3 players. I am the designated rules guy, so I've been reading the manual as my first step.
    But I thought I'd try and reach out and see if anyone has some good community resources to use.. whether some print-able player aids or frequently messed up rules sheet.
    Or even a player-revised manual or something that makes this huge monstrosity easier to parse.

I'll even take stories of hilarious first time mistakes and why I should learn from them or replicate them for similar hilarity :P

So thanks for the help I got on this; we made good use of the FAQ and the tips were helpful.

Unfortunately, it seems we are very bad at this game, ha ha. We did a 3p game with the Cragheart, Scoundrel, and Mind Thief. Maybe this isn't a good combo, because we got pretty wrecked.
    We made it to the last room of the first scenario before the Bones guys just demolished the whole party.
    Are we playing the Target symbol correctly, in that the Living Bones can attack multiple people on the same action if they're all adjacent?

We tried it again but the six bandit guards in the first room, but I guess we positioned badly because the Cragheart had the lowest initiative and was in front, so all six of the guards swarmed him and murdered him in the opening turn. At that point we considered it pointless to continue and just gave up that run.

I think we're going to have to try different starting classes next time we get together to try this or something. Or just keep losing until we level up to level 2 simply from bashing our heads against the wall.

I haven't played with Mindthief, but Cragheart and Scoundrel are solid. Be careful with Cragheart, though, because he has a lot of AoEs that hit friendlies and enemies. If you want to switch classes, I'd suggest swapping either the Cragheart or the Mindthief for the Brute - the Brute's got some decent staying power and some good CC / defensive cards. But, still, the best defense is to not get hit at all - make sure you're focusing down enemies!

Yes, you played the target symbol correctly - the skeletons can, depending on their attack card, beat up multiple people. IIRC, though, their multiattack card doesn't let them move, so with careful positioning you can mitigate most of it.

The first two scenarios are actually pretty difficult; they're designed to basically force you to learn positioning, timing, and ability and item usage in order to win. So, don't worry if you lose your first time or two - you're kinda supposed to.

Even with low initiative, the Cragheart shouldn't have been targeted by all of the guards unless he, like, ran right up into the middle of the pile - in which case, yeah, this is a really good way to end up dead. Remember that initiative is a tiebreaker, and enemies will go for the closest target first.

edited June 2019
    We cleared the first scenario using those three plus the Brute and 4p isn't easier than 3p so you should be fine. Once you get the hang of tactics, at any rate. Don't get discouraged; figure out what you did wrong and/or what you can do differently.

Also don't open a door unless you have a plan.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Tip: after revealing enemy action cards at the start of the round, look at what they're going to do. If they are going to be doing especially big attacks, try not to be there when it happens, and especially try not to be where multiple opponents can unload big attacks on you.

You can extend this somewhat to choosing your action cards for the round, as well. Looking at the monster's stat sheet give you an idea of what a typical turn will look like for them. If the enemies are melee with a speed of 2, and you're farther than they could reach with a move of 2, that might be a good turn to use a slow initiative to try to act after they do.

In my experience, nobody among the starting classes is "a tank," at least for the first few scenarios. If someone has the mindset that they're going to stand in the middle of the bad guys and absorb a bunch of hits, things are going to go poorly for them (and by extension, the rest of the party)

• LorekLorek Registered User regular

I haven't played with Mindthief, but Cragheart and Scoundrel are solid. Be careful with Cragheart, though, because he has a lot of AoEs that hit friendlies and enemies. If you want to switch classes, I'd suggest swapping either the Cragheart or the Mindthief for the Brute - the Brute's got some decent staying power and some good CC / defensive cards. But, still, the best defense is to not get hit at all - make sure you're focusing down enemies!

Yes, you played the target symbol correctly - the skeletons can, depending on their attack card, beat up multiple people. IIRC, though, their multiattack card doesn't let them move, so with careful positioning you can mitigate most of it.

The first two scenarios are actually pretty difficult; they're designed to basically force you to learn positioning, timing, and ability and item usage in order to win. So, don't worry if you lose your first time or two - you're kinda supposed to.

Even with low initiative, the Cragheart shouldn't have been targeted by all of the guards unless he, like, ran right up into the middle of the pile - in which case, yeah, this is a really good way to end up dead. Remember that initiative is a tiebreaker, and enemies will go for the closest target first.

So wait, do the Bones only multi-target when they get a card that has the Target on it? Or is that just for the regular, because the Elite bones has the Target right on his stat sheet, so we assumed he got that all the time.

I think what happened with the bandits was the first time we went through, we didn't know what we were doing, so we all picked ranged attacks to open the fight. Then the guards rushed us so that was hard to come back from.
    So when we started the second time, we expected to get rushed again, so we prepped melee attacks. And then the Guards drew their ranged attack card, advanced a couple spaces forward, and they all shot the Cragheart who was standing one tile forward from me and the other player and we didn't get to attack back again.

In my experience, nobody among the starting classes is "a tank," at least for the first few scenarios.

I disagree, it seems quite obvious to me that the Brute is meant to fill this role.

In practice, I find that taking Gadget and his Decoy in the early missions is a better course, altho the Decoy will not soak up many hits before being destroyed. There's another starting class, I forget which, that can summon a Rat Swarm to achieve a similar goal.

edited June 2019

So wait, do the Bones only multi-target when they get a card that has the Target on it? Or is that just for the regular, because the Elite bones has the Target right on his stat sheet, so we assumed he got that all the time.

I think what happened with the bandits was the first time we went through, we didn't know what we were doing, so we all picked ranged attacks to open the fight. Then the guards rushed us so that was hard to come back from.
    So when we started the second time, we expected to get rushed again, so we prepped melee attacks. And then the Guards drew their ranged attack card, advanced a couple spaces forward, and they all shot the Cragheart who was standing one tile forward from me and the other player and we didn't get to attack back again.

Skeletons naturally attack up to 2/3 different targets with every normal attack if they can. One of their cards lets them focus all of their hits on the same target; do not let this happen to you unless you really want it to.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

If it's on their stat sheet, they do it every time they make an attack. I forgot that the normal Living Bones have it on their card; I thought it was Elite only at low levels, and should've checked first. Sorry!

Yeah, I can see how that could happen. Generally, when setting up, you want to ...

1) Make sure that, if the monsters go first, they don't gang-tackle one person.
    2) Set up so that you can focus-fire on one or two enemies and take them down.
    3) Have some crowd-control available to reduce the incoming attacks from people you can't target.

So in the very first room of the campaign (assuming characters 1, 2, and 3) ...
    pj0knjn1qzic.png

... is not a good set-up, because the enemies going first will all target #1, unless you can guarantee you're going first and can take out some of the enemies and / or get someone up and "tank" a couple of the enemies to attack them instead of #1 (e.g., #2 charges over to the left and attacks).

Something more like ...
    mare52590vg5.png

... would be better, because monsters A and B will target #3 first, and C will go after #1 or #3 depending on initiative. It's a far, far better idea, though, to just kill a couple of the badguys straight out. The Scoundrel is honestly pretty good at this. They could start at position 2, move up and beat up on enemy D with a good chance of killing it. That means A and B would go after 3, C and the next one over would go after 1, and the last one would go after the Scoundrel (assuming, like, a range 3 attack). That way, you've reduced total incoming attacks per-character, meaning someone isn't going to get immediately pulped.

But still, this is a really good opportunity to go early and take out a couple enemies before they even get to act.

Fairchild wrote: »
    In my experience, nobody among the starting classes is "a tank," at least for the first few scenarios.

I disagree, it seems quite obvious to me that the Brute is meant to fill this role.

He's supposed to be, but he doesn't have the cards, items, or abilities yet to do it well. Tanks let the enemies focus on them and shrug off the damage, and trying to do that in the first scenario is asking for trouble. :D

Leather armor doesn't seem very good to me; Hide Armor is where it's at, IMO.

Hide Armor will let you take an extra attack or two over the course of a scenario. Warding Strength will let you take an extra attack or two over the course of a scenario (but then, so does losing a card from your hand). But people look at Warding Strength and Shield Bash and say to themselves "hey, this guy is a tank" without realizing that Shield Bash is actually moderately hard to successfully deploy, and that overall the Brute is still only going to be able to take maybe 2-3 more hits over the course of a scenario than anyone else. Those extra hits will get used up in a hurry if you just run the Brute right into the middle of a crowd or the waiting arms of Living Bones doing the multiple attacks at one target action.

Did the scenario that gives you three options as a reward: I took the scenario that promised riches to carry forward Squidface’s Greed quest, and ended up coincidentally completing the Cragheart’s kill 15 vermlings quest in two attempts at scenario 17. Unlocked lightning bolts, who seems fun.

z12du5k1tycb.jpeg

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

In practice, I find that taking Gadget and his Decoy in the early missions is a better course, altho the Decoy will not soak up many hits before being destroyed. There's another starting class, I forget which, that can summon a Rat Swarm to achieve a similar goal.

I played Brute and he felt kinda useless as a tank. It wasn't until I went full kill mode with him that he felt like a viable character.

emex5s77zqbg.jpeg

Scenario 10. Lightning bolt and squidface combine reasonably well. Squidface is especially good at poisoning people with high shield and then killing them next turn with their -3 health power, or stunning people so lightning can go in and just whale on them for a turn or two. I also like the ability to go from almost dead to full health lightning has. Almost able to retire squidface now, maybe another two missions.

We ran a boss scenario last night. Due to a road event, we all started disarmed. The boss had 45 hp.

The scenario was over in 4 rounds.

Bolt is dumb. She hit the boss for 21 damage in one attack. No, she did not crit.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Scenario 72 is no fucking joke. We managed it, but just barely due to a touch of arrogance on our parts. Spoilers to follow.
    Fucking oozes everywhere. We have Bolt, Note, Eclipse, and 2 Mini. I had high hopes and thought we had a plan for the mission. I went head long into the tree on the left and started invisibility cheese as quickly as I could. Managed to get there turn one thanks to a quick sniping of a forest imp, and then using the solo item to get the ball rolling. The rest off the team charged the middle one, but due to paralyze shenanigans they got delayed and killed theirs the same turn as I did. Burning potions to keep the 10 damage invis bullshit combo going helped.

That is when we see a fatal flaw in our plan. I am cut off which Eclipse can manage well enough. Not ideal, but easily manageable. The huge wall of bullshit between us and the final tree on the other hand is not as easily managed. Like 8-9 monsters between us and any path to that tree. I work my way to clearing a path back to the party, and Bolt scrapes together enough health for the AOE blast that opens a hole just big enough for us to try and squeeze through.

This is where shit goes bad. 2 mini goes down to 1 mini, Bolt drops, Note drops, and my rests have left me without a ton of great options to keep wailing on the damn tree. Further they are about to split and lock me in as the only one able to hit it So everything is basically fucked. We go to split and realize there is one Ooze left not on the board which isn't awesome. Still the path is open, but we have like 10 collective health on the team and that is when we get attacked by 7 or so monsters left alive (we had some oozes trying to catch up).

Note's final gift comes through and we take maybe one hit in total. We slink across the finish line with my character opting to use the signature attack as a simple 3 damage strike which crits, and then 2 mini finishes the damn tree off with a flurry of attacks locking in the win even as the torrent of shit was about to unload on us.

Unlocked 3 journal entries and set up the next map we need to take on. Not bad for a day's work. Really happy to not be dealing with that bullshit ever again.

edited June 2019
    Worst scenario ever. We failed it like three times before resorting to making new, lower-level characters and IIRC dialing the difficulty down to easy (-1 scenario level) . And even then we still had to get lucky with the Oozes.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited July 2019
    We tried to retire my Notes tonight; she's on the "Finding the Cure" PQ and we unlocked the final step (Scenario 60) last week.

It has been a long time since we failed a scenario, but tonight it happened. Wow that is some BS but I think I see some things we could have done a bit differently. Hopefully next week we have our full team for the re-run, as this feels like one where the extra bodies will outweigh the extra/ tougher enemies.

I have 778 xp. LET ME DIE.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited July 2019
    First time out for Saw in our group.
    seemed pretty ineffective, but that might just be because the rest of our team has gotten very good at killing things before they can hurt us.

Also, what is going on with that mini. Who holds a saw like that?

Our spell weaver retired, unlocking triforce.
    oh god, that player had terrible Analysis Paralysis before, a quick skim of Triforce's cards looks like it's going to be even worse. Also, the rest of our party doesn't generate elements practically at all. I will probably want to do a careful review of that class's cards before the next game, so I can try to figure out what it can even usefully do.

Might recommend going to the elemental plane next, just so hopefully the various demons will give him something to work with.

Fry on
    Fry wrote: »
    Our spell weaver retired, unlocking triforce.
    oh god, that player had terrible Analysis Paralysis before, a quick skim of Triforce's cards looks like it's going to be even worse. Also, the rest of our party doesn't generate elements practically at all. I will probably want to do a careful review of that class's cards before the next game, so I can try to figure out what it can even usefully do.

Might recommend going to the elemental plane next, just so hopefully the various demons will give him something to work with.

The problem with that plan is that they're just as likely to steal them from you.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Retirement successful! After last week's recon mission (ignoring the specifics of the scenario that make that concept amusingly impossible), we went in with a rock-solid strategy and pulled everything off. My Notes rides off into the sunset with 14 perks (ONE check away from the last one...) and a scant 805 xp. Also unlocked Envelope X, which was... interesting.
    We had already found similar runes in a road event, and that gave us a leg up on translating this note. Cryptic indeed...

Rolled up a Chtulhu because I like the character concept and I didn't want to repeat a character I've already been (as much as I would love another run as Eclipse). Gonna be a rough transition from the XP-factory that was Notes, but at least now I can attack again.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif