As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Also the fact that the non-chaos warbands each have specific symbols on the graphic give me hope that they’ll be more integrated and less of an afterthought

My first thought is 'how did the >other> teams in blood bowl get treated when the latest version hit?

Define "Other" in Bloodbowl. Less Competetive? Goblins were pretty early in the release schedule and just now we got Halflings as the second stunty team out of 10 (i think) released teams so far. Halflings are actually the first team to get an actual rules adjustment with new new positionals. Chaos Renegades on the other hands only got a resin markerset so far and have to be built from other teams.

Due to the fact that none of the team rules actually really change all that much if at all in Bloodbowl I don't think it's really comparable.

honovere on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the gobbos got new positionals; I certainly don’t remember them having eight or so before…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    You're right, hooligan and doom diver are new, I think

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a rules release for legacy teams that didnt get new releases(yet) for blood bowl? That is what I am referring to.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, but those were literally the previous edition’s team lists ported over to the new style with no changes. I’m not sure how that works for a game with no ‘previous edition’ to fall back on.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Aside from slight tweaks BB has had a pretty consistent ruleset for years

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Wasn't there a rules release for legacy teams that didnt get new releases(yet) for blood bowl? That is what I am referring to.

Halflings and goblins were both in that teams of legends pdf and got releases while some of the teams from the rule book and death zone haven't gotten a release yet. Blood bowl is in really weird situation that sets it apart from the rest of GW's games. For a huge part of its existence it has been handled and kept alive by people outside of gw.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    A better analogy would be the 'side' gangs in current Necromunda (Chaos, Stealer Cult, Bounty Hunters) who don't have any specific Necro models as they expect you to use 40k figures and first appeared as WD articles. And they've actually been pretty good to those, refining their rules to make sure they fit with the updated campaign structure they came up with and subsequently incorporating them into books proper.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I messed around with contrast a little bit at my local GW's demo days. I didn't take my time just to see how it would look a little rushed. Not the best work I've done but... it really wasn't bad for how long I spent on it.

HNeWvhVh.jpg
    9dAkckJh.jpg
    q6Bhkh4h.jpg
    YeX1UGsh.jpg
    9QFZ6COh.jpg

Colours used:

Skeleton horde/Orc Flesh on the cloak
    Tallasar Blue Shoulders
    Bascillicum Grey for the armor
    Black Templar for the weapon except the middle part with is Volupus Pink
    Aethermatic Blue for the gem stone
    Iyandan Yellow for the thunderbolts
    Magos purple on the beads on the front (kinda rushed those a little)
    Apothecary White on the base except the pot which is Syish Purple. They ran together, I was definitely rushing that part. In the final picture the base was NOT yet dry.

All told this took me a little under half an hour to paint. I really didn't spend much time on the base though. Just slapped the White on there cause I wanted to see how it looked.

TheGerbil on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I wouldn't think it would be very useful for characters, but that seems real nice for speed painting armies

You say that now but…

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Well the dudes a competition winning painter.

edited June 2019
    You can definitely spend more time with it to get a better effect. That stormcast up there was something I did it in sub 30 mins. I was trying to speed paint it.

TheGerbil on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So I apparently missed a bunch of news on Generals Handbook 2019.

Implied new allegiance stuff for Ironjawz, Seraphon, Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Free Peoples, Slaves to Darkness and Dispossessed. It saddens me to see seraphon on the list because that means it's probably not getting a battletome update this year. Good to see ironjawz getting stuff though, it sounded like competitively they had fallen by the wayside.

They did put an article out describing mercenary forces though. I am hoping it allows for me to put my custom nurgle stuff back into my pestilens force.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/the-generals-handbook-2019-mercenary-companiesgw-homepage-post-2/

They have details for smaller game modes as well:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/11/the-generals-handbook-2019-meeting-engagementsgw-homepage-post-2/
    Meeting engagements are built for ~1k armies on much smaller tables. I like that they are trying to figure out how to get off 4'x6' tables, I don't know about you guys but I have real issues trying to find tables to set up in my personal space that I wouldn't have to custom build or drop hundreds on. I have the same problem with most skirmish games tables, most card tables are just short of what you need minimum.

steam_sig.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Fortunately I tend to play either at tournaments or in a GW store, so 6x4 tables are not hard to come by, but I'm certainly interested in the Meeting Engagement rules to get games rolling out faster. They don't mention anything about it in the article, but I wonder if they've added anything to curtail summoning mechanics in some way, at that low of a points level it can get quite out of hand.

I don't know if you can take the list of allegiance abilities in the GHB as any sort of roadmap to what may or may not be coming next, the Beasts of Chaos had abilities in the previous GHB and got a book a few months later, and Gutbusters have never had any allegiance abilities but have no book in sight!

Quick question my boys and girls.

I have a kit for the burning chariot of tzeentch.

Exalted flamer on the chariot or Herald? The one not on the chariot is gonna be hoofing it.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'm not super familiar with Tzeentch right now, I suppose the 'real' answer would be to magnetise/pin the kit so that either rider can go on the chariot or on its own base as required (which might be handy for summoning too, I can't remember what the summoning options are for Tzeentch).

The Herald on chariot makes for a fast moving wizard, which is handy in those missions where wizards score more easily, while the Flamer chariot is more of a fire support platform I guess. In a vacuum I would probably put the herald on the chariot and let the flamer roll around on foot? The flamer can do its job without the extra movement most of the time I think.

if I had to pick, the herald

tzeentch likes a bunch of enlightened for fire support, rather than flamers

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Which one looks cooler?

PiptheFair wrote: »
    if I had to pick, the herald

tzeentch likes a bunch of enlightened for fire support, rather than flamers

Is it enlightened or skyfires for fire support?

Skyfires have the bows, Enlightened are more of a shock assault unit.

yeah I meant skyfires

My main concern is the spell seems... Less good on the Herald on chariot vs Herald on the ground. The Herald on a disc has yet another spell.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Not sure about the demon side of things but Enlightened are basically meta right now (probably a group of 6-9 with a shaman and Fold Reality for coming back to life shenanegans).
    The new GHB might change things around tho, GW seems quite trigger happy about changing tzeentch points costs (thematic!)

Speaking of, the GHB changes to Ironjawz plus the new contrast paints means its time to finally build and speed paint all them boyz what i still got on the spru!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Point drops for a three pack of Chaos Chariots means I should grab a couple more.

I generally run my Blades of Khorne army as the Goretide (because 20+ inch charges on turn 1 is hilarious), so more chariots fits the GOTTAGOFAST theme of my army.

Dayspring wrote: »
    Not sure about the demon side of things but Enlightened are basically meta right now (probably a group of 6-9 with a shaman and Fold Reality for coming back to life shenanegans).
    The new GHB might change things around tho, GW seems quite trigger happy about changing tzeentch points costs (thematic!)

Speaking of, the GHB changes to Ironjawz plus the new contrast paints means its time to finally build and speed paint all them boyz what i still got on the spru!

GHB seems to be quite a light touch this year in most cases from what I see, perhaps too light in some instances, we'll see how things shake out. Enlightened are up 20 I think, which doesn't seem unwarranted.
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    My main concern is the spell seems... Less good on the Herald on chariot vs Herald on the ground. The Herald on a disc has yet another spell.

Mmm, the spell isn't super hot, no, though you can use the potion to try and force it through if needs be and run the chariot as a suicide distraction perhaps, he gets a spell from the Tzeentch lore as well, so there are options at least.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    FWIW I was in the same position, I decided on ground herald and flamer chariot.

said chariot ate a skull canon today so I feel okay with that choice.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    FWIW I was in the same position, I decided on ground herald and flamer chariot.

said chariot ate a skull canon today so I feel okay with that choice.

I'm leaning towards that. Maybe in the future I'll grab a start collecting Tzeentch daemons and make both.

I noticed that if your general is a herald on the chariot then burning chariots become battleline? That's kinda hilarious.

So I spent a FUCKTON of time this weekend and painted up my Chaos Manticore Lord (Of Tzeentch).

Holy shit this is by far the most ambitious thing I have ever painted and it took me for fucking ever. I learned a lot though. No contrast was used (Not any spare funds to get new paints).

Flegix4h.jpg
    LwOl469h.jpg
    rXO26qJh.jpg
    v91gYyvh.jpg
    USl1h9Zh.jpg
    4nCGJvdh.jpg
    cSpIqQgh.jpg

Base has some extra bits to make it look like he's approaching a fight (both chaos warrior and Stormcast Sequitor) as well I magnetized his left arm options and put them onto the base as effects I can swap around.

So uh general's handbook 2019 comes out today. Anyone grabbing it?

I have it on pre-order, but I'll have to pick it up during the week. Though it is kinda weird this year cos every reviewer and their brother has already got a copy last week, so most of the interesting stuff is already out there if you want to see it.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This will be my fourth General's Handbook. Maybe I'll play more than one game per edition now that my friends got way more active.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone know when/if they are updating the warscroll builder on the community site? It's been obsolete for 2 days now. I want to know if I need more models for my BCR or not.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    They've updated. Net effect is two more mournfang rider models in the list than before. But I had extras.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Having picked up the Soul Wars big box and played all of one game with it, I'm also hoping that these new small scale rules will get some more players in.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    My brother gave me the slaves to darkness battleforces for Christmas (no complaints there I like the look) with neither of us knowing anything of the meta for AoS.

Having played a few games with StD I sure hope they get a Battletome soon. Chaos warriors sure do cost a lot of points for what you get.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the thing with slaves to darkness is that while they get their own allegiance abilities, its more for people who want to do multi-god/unmarked armies. Appropriately marked models are valid units in any of the big four chaos battletomes.

You lose the option to use knights as battleline but you gain a whole lot of options, including summoning.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited June 2019
    the thing with slaves to darkness is that while they get their own allegiance abilities, its more for people who want to do multi-god/unmarked armies. Appropriately marked models are valid units in any of the big four chaos battletomes.

You lose the option to use knights as battleline but you gain a whole lot of options, including summoning.

Yeah I've noticed this. I currently don't have many other God's units (I want to go Tzeentch and have the Herald on foot and flamer on burning chariot as a gift) and no money to get more dudes at the moment. So I'm a little stuck.

The battleforce gave me 1260 points of StD though.

It has
    16 Chaos warriors
    10 Chaos Knights
    1 Chariot\Gorebeast Chariot.
    1 Manticore Lord (can use these bits and chariot to make:)
    1 mounted sorcerer lord
    1 Chaos Warshrine

I went against some similar points list and got decimated.

TheGerbil on
    The StD have some really nice, old school models going for them, but the rules are sadly lacking, they're definitely one of the weaker factions in terms of competitive play. I'm vainly assuming they have something planned for them, cos I can't imagine that they want to leave stuff like Archaon and his varanguard without a real faction to call their own in the long term. My hope is that after Warcry drops that will be used a springboard to update the unaligned, mortal chaos stuff into something more suitable for the current AoS.

This discussion has been closed.