As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Infinity] Holy shit it took us seven years to get to 100 pages, but we did it!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Basically Secret Weapon.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Antenocitis workshop do a bunch of bases, as well as other Infinity type goodies.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Antenocitis workshop do a bunch of bases, as well as other Infinity type goodies.

I'll give that a look. Not really into the bases on secret weapon.

How do I get the infinity app to give me a list I can post? Can't seem to figure it out.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Keep in mind Antenocitis is currently in very rough shape and could collapse in the near future.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I'll give that a look. Not really into the bases on secret weapon.

How do I get the infinity app to give me a list I can post? Can't seem to figure it out.

You want to click the speech bubble on the builder above your list, it'll give you a code you can past into forums

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It is formatting weirdly on the phone though at the moment

Solar on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I think I have two lists I want to test out and take to the tournament next month!

One spicy tanko link team list. Shinobu for messing up their strongest counter pieces to the link team. Doctor because, of course, and a hacking device cheerleader to throw up fairy dust if they have hacker threats, buff the REM and push buttons otherwise. Lu Dan and Ryuken HRL as aggressive template-wielding power pieces that can protect my deployment zone and really hurt enemy link teams.
    Tanko Time
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 / 3
    SHINOBU Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0.5 | 47)
    TANKŌ Missile Launcher / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Shock CC Weapon. (1.5 | 32)
    TANKŌ Flammenspeer, Contender / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 23)
    TANKŌ Blitzen, Submachine Gun / Pistol, Monofilament CC Weapon, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 23)
    DOMARU Spitfire / Pistol, E/M CCW, Shock CC Weapon. (2 | 39)
    OYAMA Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Breaker Pistol, AP CCW, EXP CCW. (0 | 28)
    TOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    KEISOTSU Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 17)
    KEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    LÙ DUĀN Mk12, Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)

GROUP 22
    RYŪKEN (CH: Limited Camouflage) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 23)
    KEISOTSU Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

and a double Forward Deployment, Double Remote list. Use whichever remote is more appropriate for any given turn- the Lu Dan will wreck clumped groups or link teams and the Ru Shi will eat up their camo troops and sit in suppressive fire for the reactive turn. Two FD Ryuken-9 offer loads of mid-field board control with mines and their own suppressive fire + ODD combo, and the HRL Ryuken gives them some long-range cover. Saito, I haven't used him before, but sticking him in HD in the mid field without an infiltration roll needed is super rad for either suddenly dropping smoke to cover your advance, or to slice up their flanks if they advance.
    Double FD, Double REM (bag bot)
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10
    KEISOTSU Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 14)
    KEISOTSU Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 17)
    DOMARU Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW, Shock CC Weapon. (0 | 26)
    KEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    YURIKO ODA Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 24)
    YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    RUI SHI Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
    LÙ DUĀN Mk12, Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
    RYŪKEN (Forward Deployment L2, ODD) Submachine Gun, Antipersonnel Mines, D-Charges / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    RYŪKEN (Forward Deployment L2, ODD) Submachine Gun, Antipersonnel Mines, D-Charges / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 24)
    RYŪKEN (CH: Limited Camouflage) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 23)

GROUP 23 / 1 / 1
    SAITO TOGAN Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW, Knife. (0 | 39)
    YOJIMBO Contender, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 21)
    TOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    PANGGULING (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I think either list could do okay for Highly Classified. I'll probably decide based on what classifieds I draw. Quadrant Control probably suits the REM list better, since I can do a lot of sitting around in suppressive fire, and there's the baggage bot to punch about its weight for holding quadrants. Frostbyte is definitely for the Tanko list, since the HI can ignore the need for heaters and go wherever they like. Unmasking I might see what the terrain setup is like, but the REM list will probably be ideal for that thanks to all my mid-field deployment options, but the shinobu list could be really good as well as she's perfectly set up for going HVT hunting.

• Options
    Should I cut off that metal tab on the feet of my Infinity models? I usually do it for my GW stuff but I'm not sure with these ones.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Should I cut off that metal tab on the feet of my Infinity models? I usually do it for my GW stuff but I'm not sure with these ones.

YMMV but they're designed to be attached using the tab. If you use the tab they'll align to the base the same way they do in the photos.

Though you'll often need to trim off the ends of the tab and clip off some of the bottom to make it fit.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Very few will be at a wierd angle using the tab. Even if it's a model at a weird angle, I tend to figure out where I'm putting it and forcefully cut a new tab slot rather than cut the tab off the feet. It gives such a strong anchor.

The only time I cut tabs off feet is when I'm using resin bases.

• Options
    Anyone else as excited about O-12 as I am?

Also that tournament earlier this month... I came like 8th out of 15ish people? Was a pretty good day with some very close games, too! Turns out Karakuri are really good and really fun right now.

Won a $20 gift voucher which I promptly used for going halves on a Wildfire preorder with a friend of mine who is after the Shasvasti

• Options
    They look pretty awesome. Lovely minis and strong profiles. I'd be getting them except I barely have the time to play Haqq and Nomads and NA2 already!

• Options
    Yeah they'll be my second army after my JSA, so I think I'll be pretty set for Infinity for ages xD

I had been tempted by Onyx Contact Force, but I think O-12 will fit the ticket for what I was wanting from a second army!

• Options
    O-12 are also a new faction, not just like a lone Sectoral, so they'll serve you well there. Could probably get some ALEPH stuff too as they'll probably overlap.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I made a decision long ago to stick to a single faction per game because I just don’t have time to play more.

It’s not working.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Were they planning on releasing a smaller, squad level version of the rules for this? Ala Kill Team or Company of Iron?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    They announced the N4 (ie 4th edition) at the GenCon panel this year, coming some time mid next year. What that actually entails is entirely unknown as of yet.

Though to your point, isn't the game already at that point? Most list's don't end up being any more than 10-15 models. Were you thinking rolled down to like 5-10? Could just play smaller games as opposed to the standard right?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    They announced the N4 (ie 4th edition) at the GenCon panel this year, coming some time mid next year. What that actually entails is entirely unknown as of yet.

Though to your point, isn't the game already at that point? Most list's don't end up being any more than 10-15 models. Were you thinking rolled down to like 5-10? Could just play smaller games as opposed to the standard right?

Yeah the rules are already def squad-level.

If you want to play with fewer models, agree to build lists with fewer points. Or just get a TAG.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Search for Infinity Recon, it’s a set of restrictions for smaller games. Things like 150pt cap, only a single 2w model, no named characters, etc.

• Options
    So I kind of want to play O-12

I feel bad because I'm a dirty Nomad lawbreaker and the O-12 list includes ALEPH stuff

But I want to

Mostly because Betatroopers look so fucking radical

• Options
    I guess I'm just endlessly stuck in a search for a lower cost wargame. Which I probably won't have time to actually play anyways, but that's not something that'll be fixed anytime in the next 20 years.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I guess I'm just endlessly stuck in a search for a lower cost wargame. Which I probably won't have time to actually play anyways, but that's not something that'll be fixed anytime in the next 20 years.

WarCry might be a real answer. Designed by the same people as Shadespire, which is the first actual game GW's released since 7E of WHFB.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I keep seeing models in pictures of the game that don't currently seem to be available on their site. Do they regularly remove shit from factions?

Nevermind, I'm just really bad at browsing their store.

Other question though, is there a good resource on how list building works? And a faction breakdown with "Here is a model, here are its stats"? Cause otherwise its just a bigass list of names with nothing to really go on.

Brody on

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The army builder on the corvus belli website is pretty comprehensive.

You can get it to filter by troop types, such as light, medium heavy troops, as well as their skills, for instance show you which troops can be hackers or lieutenants, troop costs, set it to check if your army list is legal, set the army point limit, etc...

It will provide links to skills, show weapon stats and ranges and so on.

You can get it to save your army lists and provide all this info.

It is pretty amazing before you take into accounts it’s free.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There's an official app for that.

https://infinitythegame.com/resources/tools/infinityarmy

Which also has links directly to the rules wiki which makes it really easy to look stuff up as needed when list building or in game.
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Main_Page

*edit*
    It takes a little bit of doing to figure out your way around, how it validates lists and all that stuff, but it's pretty good in the first place, and being free makes it all the better.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Yeah, I've seen the app, but I guess none of the available entries really represent anything to me?

Like I get what all the stats are supposed to represent, but fusilier has 9 entries. Can I just take 5 HMG fusiliers? What do their models look like? Do I get benefits for all my units being from the same sectoral? Can I take a mix of sectorials? I'm not sure if I missed something, but I feel like a lot of that was skipped in the rule book.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    There wasn't but did you read the all the rules, or just the basics? For example, the rules for sectorials and fireteams are in the Human Sphere N3 book.
    Brody wrote: »
    Can I just take 5 HMG fusiliers?
    SWC - Support Weapons Cost
    What do their models look like?
    https://store.corvusbelli.com/wargames/infinity/miniatures/fusiliers
    Also, due to the variety and not particularly self-explanatory appearance of so many weapons, there's no strong component of 'if your model has weapon X it MUST be this gun on this model.'
    Do I get benefits for all my units being from the same sectoral? Can I take a mix of sectorials?
    Sectorial Army Lists

• Options
    I guess I just read the regular N3 rule book.

• Options
    The rules could be organized better. When I got into Infinity, I'd been exposed to it by other people playing for a while, so there were multiple times when I was asking 'wait, I know X is a thing, why are we now going into Y, because X totally should have come up already.' Only to find X later.

That is one of the nice things about having an officially supported rules wiki, especially when you need to look up something on the fly, like, 'this guy has a mutlispectral visor 1. What's the difference between that and MSV 3?' Or various skills and abilities.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Every time I see this thread I'm reminded of how desperately I want to play Infinity and how completely uninterested anyone in my state is to play it. 4th edition seems interesting, I kinda feel like they got the rules done right this time?

@Brody This game has all the loveliness of being based on a homebrew 3rd edition D&D game, while also being privileged to have some of the densest multi-layered rules of any TT game I've ever read (and I've read a lot), and did we mention it's spread out among several books? Each with their own errata? Not to mention the spotty translation, of course. That said it's still a brilliant game with a ton going for it, and it's extremely unique and engaging.

Sectorials have their own army lists that are limited to specific units in exchange for unique options, higher AVA, and Link Teams. 'Vanilla' lists get to mix and match the best stuff, but has few/no/bad Link Teams. Looking at Nomads' sects, you've got Tunguska with nasty heavy infantry links, cheap repeaters (things that let you hack from a distance), and the best+cheapest hacker in the game. Bakunin gets very strong warbands (guys that move quickly but can't take cover), very affordable links, and great hackers. Corregidor offers loads of advance deployment, camouflage, and dirt-cheap links. Vanilla Nomads get everything those three sectorials offer, but no link teams.

Each unit has different profiles, each with differing, gear, or abilities. You can take as many of each or any profile you want, up to the AVA. SWC is another limiting factor; loading up your best weapons on weak profiles is pretty bad in practice (the difference between two wounds with three armor, and one wound with zero armor is HUGE), but it is a good way to spend extra SWC.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Waiting for my Wildfire stuff to arrive to hopefully get back into this.
    I now have more space than a 1 bedroom, so I can actually have a hobby desk now and shut the cats off from it.
    Clearly that's all that's been stopping me from painting these hundred or so minis lying around.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @Carnarvon whereabouts are you located? Even though I'm in aus, from reading the WGC Infinity page on FB it seems there are quite a few people spread all over the US.
    I got back into the game early last year after about a 4 year break and have been really enjoying it, to the point where I have organised several local tourneys and am part of a group organising a 2 day tournament a couple of weeks before PAX Aus.
    Came 17th out of 70 at the Australian satellite tournament in January with JSA and I've been playing Tohaa most recently - Rasail are just crazy good!

@Brody I HIGHLY recommend getting a demo of the game. It is the sort of game that really benefits from playing it rather than reading the rules. Especially with the ARO mechanism, it's so different to most other wargames out there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Infinity is arcane nonsense only really teachable via demonstration and word of mouth.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Questor wrote: »
    @Carnarvon whereabouts are you located? Even though I'm in aus, from reading the WGC Infinity page on FB it seems there are quite a few people spread all over the US.
    I got back into the game early last year after about a 4 year break and have been really enjoying it, to the point where I have organised several local tourneys and am part of a group organising a 2 day tournament a couple of weeks before PAX Aus.
    Came 17th out of 70 at the Australian satellite tournament in January with JSA and I've been playing Tohaa most recently - Rasail are just crazy good!

@Brody I HIGHLY recommend getting a demo of the game. It is the sort of game that really benefits from playing it rather than reading the rules. Especially with the ARO mechanism, it's so different to most other wargames out there.

I'm back in Delaware again. If it's not MTG or D&D 5e, it's not getting played; I'm honestly just happy I managed to get a Pathfinder 2e game going with some friends.

• Options
    Infinity is arcane nonsense only really teachable via demonstration and word of mouth.

This is only half joke - but it's definitely a system worth getting into.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My gaming group is finally getting into this beyond the tutorials, playing some 150 and 200 pt games

The various jamming and hacking status conditions seem incredibly brutal. The fact that a hacker from half a board away, or a throwaway dogged 5 point model, can inflict Isolation on powerful models is bad enough, but you can't get rid of that status without an engineer? And then there's EM attacks that just eliminate the model altogether unless an engineer can fix it.

It seems hugely risky to invest in expensive TAGs or HI because of this, especially since there don't seem to be all that many engineer models (and they're expensive too, especially if you start giving them little helper bots).

• Options
    Well, they can only hack you from half a board away through a repeater, which you will know is there, so at least you can plan for it!
    TAGs are certainly tough to get the best out of, but when they work, they can be brutal.
    We had a 2 day tournament here over the weekend, and TAGs definitely seem to be making a resurgence in our local area anyway, and the extra Tactical Awareness order now in season 11 definitely helps. I got murderised by a Marut, though I did manage to get rid of a Sphinx quite successfully.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Saw this new Puppetatica Company box for Nomads. Anyone know if it is any good? It looks pretty cool.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Saw this new Puppetatica Company box for Nomads. Anyone know if it is any good? It looks pretty cool.

I’ve played against it a bunch, it’s really strong. The main dude is vulnerable but is a super cheap order with counterintelligence. The puppets are super underpriced for 2 wound burst 2 aros (particularly because losing them doesn’t impact your order pool) and can do ok work on their own as well.