As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man I checked the replies on the tweet anthem put out about the stream today and like damn people are sad. Like I get it you hate the game, why do you still follow Anthem's twitter then? Good lord all the flavors in the universe and you choose salty.

It's not that they hate it, it's that they wanted to like it and were disappointed and haven't moved on yet. They should do that and stop bugging people who are stilling enjoying the game, yes.

I would argue that for a lot of the people being toxic about the game, it's just what they do. I mean, how many people do you think really were/are going to see that Sonic movie vs followed the meme about Sonic's teeth?

The anonymity of the internet lets people bring out their inner edgelord, when in real-life they are about as 'edgy' as a Saturn full of Creed fans.

Yeah, and it feels like it gets worse during the E3 period.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »
    Man I checked the replies on the tweet anthem put out about the stream today and like damn people are sad. Like I get it you hate the game, why do you still follow Anthem's twitter then? Good lord all the flavors in the universe and you choose salty.

It's not that they hate it, it's that they wanted to like it and were disappointed and haven't moved on yet. They should do that and stop bugging people who are stilling enjoying the game, yes.

I would argue that for a lot of the people being toxic about the game, it's just what they do. I mean, how many people do you think really were/are going to see that Sonic movie vs followed the meme about Sonic's teeth?

The anonymity of the internet lets people bring out their inner edgelord, when in real-life they are about as 'edgy' as a Saturn full of Creed fans.

Yeah, and it feels like it gets worse during the E3 period.

Honestly there are times I find myself really done with a lot of my fellow "gamers".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Someone asked about "what happens after the 8 weeks" and it sounds like they're not ready to announce exactly what happens but it sounds like it's not just going to vanish:

I think the intent is that a lot of the fun is doing it as it happens but they want to keep it around and still let you get rewarded etc, it would really suck to just lose out on the higher level gear because you missed this, after all.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I imagine that—much like events in almost every other game as a service that people have played over the years—it may be a rotational/seasonal event, possibly once every few weeks or some other nonsense.

Starting to feel like they were better off not communicating and just doing.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Eh they had to communicate so the player base knows what's coming. It takes the mystery away but very rarely is mystery something I appreciate in a multi player game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    They probably don't have any idea themselves when they'll be able to get back on schedule. Which will cause a lot of griping, but hey, these games bring out the gripers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Considering the flak they got at the end of the Elysian Cache event, a need to clearly communicate their intent going forward shouldn't be a surprise.

Even if they don't know the particulars, simply saying 'this is something we plan to repeat every so often', whether it's a quarterly basis, annual, whatever, would be reassuring.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Considering the flak they got at the end of the Elysian Cache event, a need to clearly communicate their intent going forward shouldn't be a surprise.

Even if they don't know the particulars, simply saying 'this is something we plan to repeat every so often', whether it's a quarterly basis, annual, whatever, would be reassuring.

To clarify, "just doing" would be the Cataclysm event dropping with the blurb that defines what it is, and when (precisely) it will happen. A release date of "TBA" from them, knowing that there is a large swathe of people sowing negativity about their product, is just not a good idea. The removal of "luck", melee enhancements, higher item level cap and a few other things are all major things, but the goto has been "Cataclysm unknown..."

Looping back to the caches, it was pretty clear the event was going to be a limited time thing. Yet, the end of the event was framed and presented as them removing content, though at least some bloggers acknowledged that they said it was timed (there was a countdown timer ingame too ffs)... But eh, IDK.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, we knew the caches were a limited time thing, we had the countdown timer from the day it went live, and people doing the math and realizing how much they were going to need to grind out strongholds to get most or all of the contents.

I'm not addressing the (misplaced, either willfully ignorant or outrage agenda driven) angle, but the dangling questions that shouldn't have surprised anyone. There were loading screens indicating that keys would go away when the event ended, but they never bothered to say whether or not they planned to revisit the idea in the future. I don't recall them even saying if they were happy how it all played out. Surely they must have gotten some remarkable stats from that thing, just a blog post saying "hey Freelancers, good job! Across X,000,000 players, Y0,000,000 chests were opened across Z00,000,000 strongholds run across all three platforms! __% of you managed to open all of them, which took some real dedication! While this event is over, we do/don't plan to revisit this style in the future (and if so, with new rewards and tweaks based on feedback, if not, then other events that take feedback on how this played out into account)!"

Maybe they had something out and I missed it, but I don't recall seeing it come up in this thread or elsewhere.

The point is less that people got salty over assumption and demanding ever more, but instead that simply having a post-mortem on how the event went, what the numbers were like, would provide some insight into things.

Of course, the flip side of that would be cries of 'lawl, only 2,000,000 unique players? Guess Anthem is dead lol" assholes crowing, but they're going to drive outrage regardless of whether they say anything or not, so focusing on things in a positive way is better than letting their incessant negativity dictate the conversation.

Which kind of loops into my larger point about focusing on the positive side. Yeah, TBA isn't a good look, but it's a realistic one. "Focusing on solidifying the game mechanics and fixing bugs has taken up a lot of the time and effort we'd planned to use to launch more events in a shorter timeframe. We get that it's frustrating, but felt it was best for the health of the game to shore up the foundation. TBA isn't the kind of time frame you want, but as fellow gamers and speaking plainly and directly as we can, it's either that or just not saying anything." and then yeah, focus on the good stuff. Getting rid of luck? Awesome! Melee enhancements? I hadn't heard that, great!

Basically, I'm tired of letting edgelords dictate the conversation on any given topic, whether it's politics or gaming.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    "Reviews" are streaming into the ATG Reddit about the Cataclysm event and they are...

exactly the way you expect them to be.

Also, people that are saying that they like the things are all sock puppet accounts. Yes, this is the level of discourse that we're at now.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    So people hate it who aren't playing it and anyone who says they like it are of course paid accounts just parroting market copy instead of the clear free thinkers parroting their own talking points?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    So people hate it who aren't playing it and anyone who says they like it are of course paid accounts just parroting market copy instead of the clear free thinkers parroting their own talking points?

Also, the (ATG) mods are in on it, and are deleting posts pointing out that the people who like the event are either paid or involved in an organized attempt to say positive things about the game.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    "Reviews" are streaming into the ATG Reddit about the Cataclysm event and they are...

Also, people that are saying that they like the things are all sock puppet accounts. Yes, this is the level of discourse that we're at now.

I mean, you're doing the same thing here, saying anyone who doesn't like it is faking it as Part of The Discourse

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Do people ever stop and think that like conspiracy theories like that are just insane? People can like things? Mods can want to you know moderate and say "hey attacking other posters because they like something is an asshole thing to do?"

But I still see like just this hate parade. Like I was watching a bit of Gothalion's stream this morning to hear about the failed attempt on the d2 raid last night, and his chat had people shitting on anthem and its like jesus guys what the fuck is this? I guess as I get older I understand gaming internet spaces less and less.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

Also, the (ATG) mods are in on it, and are deleting posts pointing out that the people who like the event are either paid or involved in an organized attempt to say positive things about the game.

Lol, what?

Imagine thinking your hate of a thing is so pure and genuine that others are paying people to trick you out of it

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I mean, you're doing the same thing here, saying anyone who doesn't like it is faking it as Part of The Discourse

Actually, I don't think people are faking it, I think they don't know how to shut the fuck up and move on. Because that's the thing they're incapable of doing. But that's a larger argument that serves no purpose, So. Yeah.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    PTS is another 55 GB...

geez....

yeah that's going on my SATA
    my poor little SSD :(

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Do people ever stop and think that like conspiracy theories like that are just insane? People can like things? Mods can want to you know moderate and say "hey attacking other posters because they like something is an asshole thing to do?"

But I still see like just this hate parade. Like I was watching a bit of Gothalion's stream this morning to hear about the failed attempt on the d2 raid last night, and his chat had people shitting on anthem and its like jesus guys what the fuck is this? I guess as I get older I understand gaming internet spaces less and less.

This is a murky world. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but there's the old adage of one hand washes the other. High level social media reviewers across a number of templates do get gifted books and games for doing a review (altho they usually aknowledge this within the review itself too). Drug companies spend ridiculous amounts of money catering food and drinks into doctor's offices on a day to day level, presumably to create more favorable business relationships and get their products prescribed more often. It's super easy to suggest that any form of social media opinions are influenced or outright fake in this world. I'm not a Conspiracy Theorist, but I am jaded and cynic. :)

The real point is that xXxEdgelordxXx on reddit likely isn't really being influenced in any such way, because why pay random people to hawk something without some kind of name recognition or following? Likewise, its unlikely a company would pay a random person to fake accounts to praise a game. But then, isn't it accepted that various public speakers and theaters have paid audience members to cheer/clap at all the right times for important performances?
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Again, I'm cynic enough to believe its possible both sides have bandwagon advocates. There are almost certainly people hating on this game because that's popular, and I doubt anyone is paying someone to praise the game but its not outside human experience for such to happen.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I still don't understand why folks are so crazy negative right now. Reaper of Souls came out roughly 2 years after Diablo 3 and is generally considered the point the game became fun long term. And Diablo 3 was in better shape then Anthem at launch. Do people think EA is keeping every single Bioware staff member working Anthem DLC at crunch pace? I wouldn't even want to support the game if that was case.

I'm excited to jump back in when the event is released and see if a lot of the bugs I was running into at launch are better.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    It's just they hate bioware at this point. And anything any game, any news anything that comes from there gets a ton of hate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I enjoyed most of what I played right up until all that was left to do was run missions non stop for a slight chance for a legendary which was exactly the same as the MW drop. At the time there was nothing worthwhile buying in the cash shop and he loot was lacklustre in all categories. What was promised and what was delivered were quite quite different. Luckily I had just paid for the month of EA access so I just let it lapse and haven’t gone back since. Movement was great, gunplay was eeeeh, most skills were pretty awesome. Lots of UI stuff was terrible, story was middling and the game for obvious reasons felt half baked. I hope they manage to turn this into a great game, but I’ll be playing other stuff until then.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I'm tentatively optimistic. I've put the game down and moved on to other things, but I love the game enough I'm always watching this thread for news that might bring me back. I will definitely be brushing off the dust when cataclysm hits. It already sounds a hell of a lot more engaging then the keys ever were.

XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Well I mean honestly this is how I play any online game. I play it for a bit, soak up a bunch of it, and then wait for new content. More games need to embrace a seasonal type thing like Diablo 3 or Path of exile.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, I think Anthem is okay, and I play it from time to time.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why folks are so crazy negative right now. Reaper of Souls came out roughly 2 years after Diablo 3 and is generally considered the point the game became fun long term. And Diablo 3 was in better shape then Anthem at launch. Do people think EA is keeping every single Bioware staff member working Anthem DLC at crunch pace? I wouldn't even want to support the game if that was case.

I'm excited to jump back in when the event is released and see if a lot of the bugs I was running into at launch are better.

Bluntly? "BioWare fans". Fun game is looking through the really negative articles and trying to find "as a long-time BioWare fan" or analogues.

They REAL mad.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Because by your own admission they released a buggy, "not fun long term" game for $60?

Negative fan reaction isn't going to torpedo Anthem all on its own, the way they released and have handled things since launch are major factors. Right now, I bet EA is happy people are still paying attention in some way, since it means they have a chance to get them back if they release an unbroken, good content update. That's way better than no response, because everyone moved on and your player base is a ghost town.

Like I don't want EA to continue to crunch Bioware into the dirt, but I kind also wish I hadn't bought the game at launch knowing what I know now. Games like Diablo got a bit more of a pass because they had first mover advantage, and no benefit of hindsight. Even with those the backlash for the 2 year gap between D3 release and Reaper of Souls was huge and ongoing right up until the auction house went away.

ronzo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I enjoyed playing through the game, and I knew that I would fall off grinding the raids and whatnot, because that isn't really how I play games. Some of the stuff was a little disappointing, but I generally enjoyed my time with it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ever sit back and realize that the only posts in this thread in the past like two weeks are dumping on people who don't like the game instead of actually talking about the game?

No?

Carry on then.

• Options
    I mean, there are also posts about what's coming out and what's being done by the devs. But then those get shat on by people who hate the game, or who qoute or link people who hate the game. So I think it's only natural that the actual fans of the game fight back in this thread about the game they like.

But none of this is really new to the internet.

(I think some of the posts about the state of the game are meant to be more observational, but in this environment can you really fault a fan for defending themselves when it seems so popular for people not even playing the game to continue to rag on it so much?!)

XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah hell, I copy-pasted my post about the Anthem artbook over there, and while ultimately I got 99% positive and thankful responses for doing the posting, literally the first response on my thread was claiming how what I did was a waste of time. Some folks sheesh. I enjoyed the campaign for what it was, and once I recognized the lack of progression endgame, I just put it down. Plus seeing through the artbook about what it could have been kinda contributed to me drifting away from it. I'm honestly not even sure I'll reinstall for the Cataclysm but I guess we'll see.

• Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    I mean, there are also posts about what's coming out and what's being done by the devs. But then those get shat on by people who hate the game, or who qoute or link people who hate the game. So I think it's only natural that the actual fans of the game fight back in this thread about the game they like.

But none of this is really new to the internet.

(I think some of the posts about the state of the game are meant to be more observational, but in this environment can you really fault a fan for defending themselves when it seems so popular for people not even playing the game to continue to rag on it so much?!)

IDK... if negativity is inevitable, why not dictate the terms of it? People take advantage of staying high when they go low, and discussion on gamers who rage and rag on Anthem is just as topical as what is being said by them.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Would take smarter minds than mine, my friend. I don't know about dictating the argument tho, I'd kinda feel like some types would take that as a challenge to further escalate.

I just took offense to a forced argument about there being nothing but vitriol, when we literally just had posts about a new event going into PTS servers and etc. Heated arguments between lack of other news is nothing new to any Games as a Service model. What's the alternative? Weeks of nothing then maybe one or two posts about a lackluster event and no other thread traffic? ;)

You could make the argument that, good or bad, as long as there's discussion than there's interest. I kind of like the idea of Anthem having a few (perhaps overzealous) White Knights here (at least somewhere then, right?). I do tend to misinterpret a lot though.

Edit: (Like literally, there's no context on the internet and my mind often works at odd tangents to real meaning).

Papagander on
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Meh...I'm just waiting for new stuff to come out so I can see for myself. I already bought the game.

I guess where I'm at right now is like apathetic. Like the game was obviously half finished, but I did get some decent playtime out of it already, and if Bioware actually manages to make it into something great that would be cool, if not...my backlog is huge.

IMO I kind of feel like at this point they should just do some Realm Reborn thing and release a "complete" version of the game with the PS5/NextBox's release.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I might check out the new stuff on the test server this weekend. Depends how much shuffling I have to do to fit test client on ssd though. I'm not sitting through hdd load times.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Personally I feel like the attitude that every title in the Games as a Service genre needs to be some sort of monolithic job simulator that sustains tens of hours of game play every week, is unrealistic, but that's what happens when people find the need to compare these sorts of games to the usual suspects I guess

• Options
    Personally I feel like the attitude that every title in the Games as a Service genre needs to be some sort of monolithic job simulator that sustains tens of hours of game play every week, is unrealistic, but that's what happens when people find the need to compare these sorts of games to the usual suspects I guess

It's this weird thing of "don't make it too grindy so I feel if I don't grind 50 hours a week I fall behind" and "why don't I have to play this 50 hours so I feel I can't not play it?!"

I get this at my job where people will complain we have too many rules and then in the next breath complain we need more.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

In general I think that's just a product of streamer culture. They want games with long legs cause it's their job and a lot of folks parrot what they say.

That said a lot of devs/publishers kind of banked on this to be able to reuse the same assets at lowered cost so they aren't completely innocent.

But I'm happy to see more players and devs pushing back against that kind of mentality.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I would much rather play Anthem than Division 2 at this point.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    For anyone (such as myself) who's been following the discussion but didn't actually own the game, it's currently on sale for $30 ($40 for Legion of Dawn). Which, for me at least, seems like a reasonable cost to play it single-player.