As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bramblepelt
    Can someone give me a breadcrumb for finding the vessel? I thought following the red light would take me there, but it seems like no? I just found...fish eggs maybe idk

Here's some hints
    You've found other escape pods, right?
    If you've scanned the beacons on those, your scanner will have an escape pod scanner you can use to track down an escape pod.
    The fish eggs are in the right area, but you need to go through one more "node" thing from there to find the vessel.
    Oh ok thanks, I had found the pod in bramblepelt, and the Wrong seed that’s thorny with the dead dudes, but hadn’t seen any other signals. I’ll try again.

Sorry, I guess I should be clear, I mean the huge original ship they came in

Oh well
    You know the signal was coming through the wrong seed with the dead dudes, so what can you do to find the signal for the vessel? They did say it was dying out
    The vessel signal is dead, so fire a probe through the seed to see where the vessel is, then track that down. Don't get anglerfish'd

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Bramblepelt
    Can someone give me a breadcrumb for finding the vessel? I thought following the red light would take me there, but it seems like no? I just found...fish eggs maybe idk

Here's some hints
    You've found other escape pods, right?
    If you've scanned the beacons on those, your scanner will have an escape pod scanner you can use to track down an escape pod.
    The fish eggs are in the right area, but you need to go through one more "node" thing from there to find the vessel.
    Oh ok thanks, I had found the pod in bramblepelt, and the Wrong seed that’s thorny with the dead dudes, but hadn’t seen any other signals. I’ll try again.

Sorry, I guess I should be clear, I mean the huge original ship they came in

Oh well
    You know the signal was coming through the wrong seed with the dead dudes, so what can you do to find the signal for the vessel? They did say it was dying out
    The vessel signal is dead, so fire a probe through the seed to see where the vessel is, then track that down. Don't get anglerfish'd

Oh because it stays there I’m such a fucking idiot thank you so mucj

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Well, I finished the game. The ending was definitely satisfactory.

late/end game spoilers
    The final rush of getting the new warp core from the Twin Ash project and then having to rush through angler-infested Dark Bramble to the Vessel was, frankly, terrifying.

Also, meeting one of the Nomai on the Quantum Moon and getting to talk to them and find out just how their whole script language worked was kind of amazing.

Anzekay on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I "finished" up Giant's Deep last night, moved on to the twin planets after. Had a crazy thing where I wound up on the other planet and was out of fuel and burning oxygen and just scrambling to find out as much as possible before the end of the loop, it was real cool.

Anzekay wrote: »

late/end game spoilers
    The final rush of getting the new warp core from the Twin Ash project and then having to rush through angler-infested Dark Bramble to the Vessel was, frankly, terrifying.

Also, meeting one of the Nomai on the Quantum Moon and getting to talk to them and find out just how their whole script language worked was kind of amazing.

end game spoilers and question
    it showed how well the game had taught me how the quantum stuff worked that when I saw the corpse right at you land that I said "ah, I bet I meet them alive at the secret place"

end game question
    there are three masks lit in the project. You're one and gabbro or whoever is one, what is the third?

late/end game spoilers

it showed how well the game had taught me how the quantum stuff worked that when I saw the corpse right at you land that I said "ah, I bet I meet them alive at the secret place"

end game question
    there are three masks lit in the project. You're one and gabbro or whoever is one, what is the third?

end game spoiler
    you did get to the 6th position of the Quantum Moon right?

edited June 2019

late/end game spoilers

end game question

end game spoiler
    yeah, it's not that person. that person is both dead and alive. Their corpse is on the moon, they're entangled with it. If you push the conversation, they get sad and confirm they're dead and ask if it's ok that to call you their friend.

They're not linked to the masks, they died hundreds of thousands of years before the masks turned on

cursedking on

late/end game spoilers

end game question

end game spoiler
    yeah, it's not that person. that person is both dead and alive. Their corpse is on the moon, they're entangled with it. If you push the conversation, they get sad and confirm they're dead and ask if it's ok that to call you their friend.

They're not linked to the masks, they died hundreds of thousands of years before the masks turned on
    you sure? they're wearing a mask and it's clear they're aware of the cycles. I assumed it must be them.

late/end game spoilers

end game question

end game spoiler

you sure? they're wearing a mask and it's clear they're aware of the cycles. I assumed it must be them.
    all of the precurser race wear masks, when you find preserved bodies they all have them.

solanum was on the moon when the ghost energy was released, they were in a quantum state, and died while at the shrine (and at the south pole and other places), so they're stuck there.

that's the only thing that makes sense, because the sun is exploding (and powering the project) now, not 200k years ago when they all died. there are no living of the precursor race

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

late/end game spoilers

end game question
    Third one is the probe tracker.

late/end game spoilers

end game question

end game spoiler

all of the precurser race wear masks, when you find preserved bodies they all have them.

solanum was on the moon when the ghost energy was released, they were in a quantum state, and died while at the shrine (and at the south pole and other places), so they're stuck there.

that's the only thing that makes sense, because the sun is exploding (and powering the project) now, not 200k years ago when they all died. there are no living of the precursor race
    dunno about the third mask then, there's no-one else who activated a statue afaik

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Ghost matter is a really lame mechanic

6F32U1X.png

late/end game spoilers

end game question

wait how does that work

late/end game spoilers

end game question

wait how does that work
    It sends the probes location back in time. There should be a thing about it in your rumor chart.

late/end game spoilers

end game question

wait how does that work
    It sends the probes location back in time. There should be a thing about it in your rumor chart.
    yeah just not sure why it'd be connected to a mask. I thought the masks were about storing people's memories?

late/end game spoilers

end game question

wait how does that work
    yeah just not sure why it'd be connected to a mask. I thought the masks were about storing people's memories?
    the masks store information,
    like memories, or the probe location.

hmm, Dark Bramble is panic attack-inducingly scary

I love everything this game is doing but I honestly don't know if I have the constitution for it, I'm so scared whenever I play it

6F32U1X.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ok finally made it onto the Quantum Moon.

Think i've crossed off everything there, was certainly a cool experience, but now i'm stumped as to what to do again. I figured that would open up a big lead or whatnot but no was just a neat side thing that really only gave flavor for the setting.
    I guess it's just as well that Solanum doesn't understand my language. Would be a bit of a bummer to tell them that everyone they know and love and their entire civilization is dead and gone. Also the sun will explode in 15 minutes.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

What's wrong with it?

What's wrong with it?

moving the probe around is really finicky and slow (holding down the button instead of having an instant recall was a bad call), and having an instantaneous environmental kill being a thing you literally cannot see is only frustrating

it feels like a bullshit I Wanna Be The Guy-level trap instead of becoming familiar with your surroundings, it's not like the rest of the environmental stuff where there are specific rules you learn to mitigate it, you just either have to memorize where it is or spend too much time finding it

6F32U1X.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Probe launcher/ghost matter tip:
    You can set the probe launcher to camera mode and just use it like a normal camera.

broken image link

What's wrong with it?

moving the probe around is really finicky and slow (holding down the button instead of having an instant recall was a bad call), and having an instantaneous environmental kill being a thing you literally cannot see is only frustrating

it feels like a bullshit I Wanna Be The Guy-level trap instead of becoming familiar with your surroundings, it's not like the rest of the environmental stuff where there are specific rules you learn to mitigate it, you just either have to memorize where it is or spend too much time finding it

I’ve basically finished the game and there weren’t any areas where picking your way through ghost zones in that way was necessary.

If it seems too crazy hard you’re probably making it harder than it is or forcing your way through an area where there’s another path.

In almost every case it’s “not this path, this one” level stuff

edited June 2019
    Ugh my stupid memory.

I found a code that I need to input somewhere, and I know i've been to the place that it needs to be put into, but I can't remember where it is in the slightest.

E: I figured it out. And that's the game over.

I liked it a lot, that was pretty dang cool. Couple of stuff I never would have figured out without asking/looking it up, but that's most puzzleish games for me.

It will definitely rank on some sort of list that is maybe put together in several months near the end of a year or something along those lines.

Aistan on
    Probe launcher/ghost matter tip:
    You can set the probe launcher to camera mode and just use it like a normal camera.

yeah this is generally what I did

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    okay the dark bramble is obnoxious
    the angler fish are so sensitive that the fact that they're blind barely even matters, whether you can get past them feels like dumb luck

the angler fish are so sensitive that the fact that they're blind barely even matters, whether you can get past them feels like dumb luck
    if you can see any part of their body (aside from the light, seeing the light is fine) don't use your thrusters at all

when you first enter a new bramble zone, just wait and see if there are any near the entrance, align to where you want to go, tap your thrusters a couple times and just coast towards it. then if there aren't any in sight when you get near the next bramble thing, quickly hop through and repeat

edited June 2019
    if you can see any part of their body (aside from the light, seeing the light is fine) don't use your thrusters at all

when you first enter a new bramble zone, just wait and see if there are any near the entrance, align to where you want to go, tap your thrusters a couple times and just coast towards it. then if there aren't any in sight when you get near the next bramble thing, quickly hop through and repeat
    yeah, the point of the bramble is to use your signal transmitter to figure out what straight line you need to follow, and then just thrust towards it from the entrance. Then you can't be seen/chomped.

cursedking on
    End Game Spoilers:
    I haven't explored the black hole forge yet or...one other small thing I think. Is there anything that fully explains the ghost matter explosion, or are you just supposed to extrapolate from the comet?

Like, i get that the comet exploded and killed them all, but why did our species survive? I don't really understand the timeline there.

End Game Spoilers:
    I haven't explored the black hole forge yet or...one other small thing I think. Is there anything that fully explains the ghost matter explosion, or are you just supposed to extrapolate from the comet?

Like, i get that the comet exploded and killed them all, but why did our species survive? I don't really understand the timeline there.
    still living in water pools as pre-sentient races, I think? so probably shielded from the ghost matter and it started to dissipate over time

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Interloper question:
    Is there anything to discover beyond the recorder in the room with 4 tunnels? As far as I can tell, all of them lead to certain doom (which I imagine is what we're supposed to learn here), but I don't think I got any ship updates.

Madpoet wrote: »
    Interloper question:
    Is there anything to discover beyond the recorder in the room with 4 tunnels? As far as I can tell, all of them lead to certain doom (which I imagine is what we're supposed to learn here), but I don't think I got any ship updates.
    There is a path that leads to the center.

Interloper question:
    There's a way to navigate the tunnels.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Interloper question:
    Ah, found it. I had made it to a large pit of ghost junk and thought it a dead end. Common gamer mistake - forgot to look up.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Interloper question:
    Ah, found it. I had made it to a large pit of ghost junk and thought it a dead end. Common gamer mistake - forgot to look up.

FUCK. I did this twice and didnt realize the spoiler. Guess what I'm doing tonight?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I started this last night and aw jeez my brain

CYpGAPn.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I think this might be my new favourite game ever? It's just so good!

broken image link
    So like a year ago Microsoft had a thing where if you watch thier E3 conference on Mixer, you'd get a bunch of free stuff on Xbox. One of those free things was Outer Wilds, which is what got it on my radar. Seeing it in action I knew it was totally a game I'd fall in love with, but I figured most people would probably sleep on it.

It has been extremly gratifying to see how popular this game is getting.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    A lot of things about this game are pretty good but waiting for 35 fucking minutes for sand to fall sure did kill my immersion for the ending

edited June 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    A lot of things about this game are pretty good but waiting for 35 fucking minutes for sand to fall sure did kill my immersion for the ending

The game only lasts 22 minutes at a time! :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    Where's the entrance during the melt? I missed it the first time I landed and would rather just know so I don't have to keep doing the landing.