As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I remember a Celtics vs Lakers game where Bird had Magic guarding him in the post and he yelled to teammate with ball "hey, I got a little fella on me" (they are both 6' 9", Bird is thicker).

Yes, I am old.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I feel like Bird is in this weird spot where he is both underrated and overrated.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bird was a god before his back gave out on him. Then he was just the best shooter in the game for a decade.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah he's legit an all-time great, but he doesn't get the same level of respect in popular consciousness that he probably should. And he's one of the few players where I think if he played in the modern era it's almost certain that he would be considered even better now than he was then, because he could stretch the floor and played amazing defense.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I feel like Bird is in this weird spot where he is both underrated and overrated.

bird is underrated because people kinda forget about him for whatever reason but overrated because racist boston fans say he's the best player that ever lived cause he was white.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bird’s H O R S E game tho

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Also, Larry Bird wasn't that great of a 3 point shooter. Sorry.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

The three-point line was a novelty in his day.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

What? He won the first three NBA 3-point contests in a row and only Craig Hodges has matched that total since then and that was just like right after. Bird was the best 3-pt shooter of his time and the shot barely existed. I imagine if he’d played high school and college with the 3 as an option, he’d have assimilated quite well.

• Options

What? He won the first three NBA 3-point contests in a row and only Craig Hodges has matched that total since then and that was just like right after. Bird was the best 3-pt shooter of his time and the shot barely existed. I imagine if he’d played high school and college with the 3 as an option, he’d have assimilated quite well.

Lifetime .376 3P% on 1,727 attempts. In five seasons he shot over .400, and in the seasons he shot poorly he had by far his fewest attempts (<1 attempt per game), so it's likely they were just due to small sample.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Bird is one of my favorite players of all time. He was at his best keeping the offense flowing, and making plays when they needed them most. He was a really streaky 3-point shooter, but man when he was on a roll it was a thing to watch. Too bad his back couldn't hold out and put an end to his career.

EDIT: God damn I miss the Celtics vs Lakers "Showtime" era so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lt1x-k3QGU

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Larry Bird was mostly boring as hell to watch

• Options
    edited June 2019
    HOW DARE YOU.
    39925465a1b4f47269eada5620da0e50baf2175adc54fc7d30d1f490078143d2.jpg

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Klay officially out tonight

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Wow, some astonishingly bad calls early.

• Options
    I think that if I wanted to find steroids in the nba I would start with steph curry.

• Options
    Is this quarter setting an airball per minute record?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

OMG!!! The shitty shorts rumor is true!? I am so happy right now.

Why did he tell us this? I cant imagine what good I could have done in the world to deserve this joy.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    that is one way to hide it

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The refs have taken over this game in the worst way.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Paul Pierce owes us for all his TV work lately

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    I think that if I wanted to find steroids in the nba I would start with steph curry.

Former coach George Karl:
    "I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the offseason? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.

"More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.”

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

This game is blatantly rigged. The number of no-calls on Curry in this game alone is atrocious.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

"I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the offseason? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.

"More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.”

I have no doubt there are PEDs everywhere. I also want to make or clear I very much dont want them to start looking for PEDs. I just want to cast aspersions on Steph because he clearly went from skinny to jacked, and is obviously doping.

• Options

This game is blatantly rigged. The number of no-calls on Curry in this game alone is atrocious.

Hahahha ridiculous.

• Options

Hahahha ridiculous.

Watch Curry on any offensive play where he doesn't have the ball. He literally gets fouled nearly every play. This game is particularly egregious because Lowry has gotten away with manhandling him and only gotten called on a small percentage of them. Even then, he still manages to accumulate a crazy number of fouls.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Curry putting up lots of points but doesn’t seem to be enough.

I think the raps got this, but never know. Curry could be pretty fatigued for game 4 as well

• Options
    It's pretty fun to see Steph have to play a Dame style game with this team. Just want to see them bust out the auto trap again.

• Options

Hahahha ridiculous.

Watch Curry on any offensive play where he doesn't have the ball. He literally gets fouled nearly every play. This game is particularly egregious because Lowry has gotten away with manhandling him and only gotten called on a small percentage of them. Even then, he still manages to accumulate a crazy number of fouls.

Welcome to the life of star nba point guards who dont have the 2nd best shooter in the world next to them.

• Options
    I love the Hail Mary 3’s

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    So many 3’s

• Options
    Yeah raptors! Go you poser ass northerners!

• Options
    For the record, the true northern most team in the nba is your portland trailblazers.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    For the record, the true northern most team in the nba is your portland trailblazers.

rip vancouver grizzlies

• Options
    And good riddance Sonics.

<---Oregon resident.

• Options
    Oh man. I just figured it out.

You know the old Jalen Rose via Bill Simmons take that 95% of NBA beef is over cards or women?

The reason that Paul Pierce admitted to Shitty Shorts (tm) is because he gambled with Jalen and that is how he had to pay up. Watch that fucking video. Tell me that Paul Pierce doesn't look like a hostage. Tell me Jalen Rose isnt instigating.

If the bet had gone the other way, we would have been seeing Jalen Rose giving an excruciating apology to C Webb at half time or something.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    larry bird threw out his back shoveling snow because he was too cheap to pay some kid to do it for him

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I have no doubt there are PEDs everywhere. I also want to make or clear I very much dont want them to start looking for PEDs. I just want to cast aspersions on Steph because he clearly went from skinny to jacked, and is obviously doping.

Curry went from skinny to jacked from age 19 to like 24. The lifestyle of a full time professional athlete during years of physical maturity is entirely plausible. I wrestled 119 my senior year in high school and I barely eclipsed 130 when I first turned 19. I'm 35 pounds heavier now in my thirties and if I worked out half as much as he does or played half as many basketball games per year as him my body would probably look a lot like his.

Also if I drank less beer

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.