As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    larry bird threw out his back shoveling snow because he was too cheap to pay some kid to do it for him

I think it was paving his mother’s driveway.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I think I know what one of the topics will be this week on NBA Desktop.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Klay will play in Game 4.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    If the Raps win this series, there's going to be a heck of an asterisk next to it, given how many of the Dubs are sick/injured/on their last legs. Confident that a full-strength Warriors team does not struggle this much.

If the Raps win this series, there's going to be a heck of an asterisk next to it, given how many of the Dubs are sick/injured/on their last legs. Confident that a full-strength Warriors team does not struggle this much.

Should we add an asterisk to the title from last year too? Because the Dubs only made it because George got hurt in game 5 of the WCF.

You play the team in front of you, plus GS has gotten really really lucky with injuries during this run. Before now, of course.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    I think that if I wanted to find steroids in the nba I would start with steph curry.

Former coach George Karl:
    "I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the offseason? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.

"More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.”

I have no doubt there are PEDs everywhere. I also want to make or clear I very much dont want them to start looking for PEDs. I just want to cast aspersions on Steph because he clearly went from skinny to jacked, and is obviously doping.

Curry went from skinny to jacked from age 19 to like 24. The lifestyle of a full time professional athlete during years of physical maturity is entirely plausible. I wrestled 119 my senior year in high school and I barely eclipsed 130 when I first turned 19. I'm 35 pounds heavier now in my thirties and if I worked out half as much as he does or played half as many basketball games per year as him my body would probably look a lot like his.

Also if I drank less beer

Nope. Curry came into the league as a 21 year old skinny boy. He was still a skinny boy as recently as like 2017 (age 29). Now he is significantly buffer than like Andrew Iguodala. He is blatantly eating all the roids.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

And is there an asterisk next to last year's for the Rockets having injuries? Or LeBron with a broken hand?

Once you start adding asterisks then every single championship has them because every championship has its own stories and "what if" moments

Dhalphir on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I'm sure at some point there will be a big HGH/roids scandal, but honestly I don't think the NBA really cares and the CBA is going to limit how they test anyway.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Yeah raptors! Go you poser ass northerners!

Is this the fabled water of life?

Its beginning to sustain me!

icGJy2C.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    In 2015 the Cavaliers lost Kevin Love to a separated shoulder in the first round of the playoffs, lost (an already hobbled) Kyrie Irving to a broken kneecap in game 1 of the Finals, and had only 7 players finish the 6-game series with more than 45 minutes played. One of those players was the husk of James Jones. During that series Iman Shumpert took a hard foul from Green that he never recovered from and Matthew Dellavedova was hospitalized for exhaustion because he'd never played starter level minutes before.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

And is there an asterisk next to last year's for the Rockets having injuries? Or LeBron with a broken hand?

Once you start adding asterisks then every single championship has them because every championship has its own stories and "what if" moments

injuries are part of any halfway physical sport

if the Raptors built a team that was a bit tougher and more resilient, or plays a style less likely to injure, that doesn't make their accomplishments worth less

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    It seems like we've found a few folks down in the
    stetten_mine.jpg
    SALT MINE

Health is a talent. It is a talent that can still be upended by bad luck but it's still a talent. Among LeBron's many talents I would argue his resiliency is/was the most astonishing. To play as many games and minutes as he has with the punishment he takes (and gives) is super fucking human.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i mean klay is one of the most durable basketball players ever. still managed to get hurt this series on a dumb foul.

basketball is cruel like that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the thread title seems pretty factually inaccurate at this point

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

i n e v i t a b l e

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Don't tempt fate just yet, especially if both Klay and KD come back in Game 4.

Also, Stevens will not attend any further Finals games this year, per a release from the Warriors, and Rachel Nichols says the NBA is still investigating the incident and may issue further penalty. In before they issue a $100 fine to a dude who's worth $2.3 billion and think that's sufficient punishment.

Players want swift and severe action is the other report going around, as Stevens is just more a symptom of a larger problem of player safety vis a vis fans while on court.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i mean klay is one of the most durable basketball players ever. still managed to get hurt this series on a dumb foul.

For all my feelings are still mixed about the aftermath and the 2017 offseason, it does warm my heart to see Kawhi and Danny getting a shot at revenge.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin

I’ll still be terrified that the Warriors are going to win until I see the Raptors on floats for their victory parade.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Seriously, Golden State is one Draymond Green suspension away from winning four championships in a row. If you're willing to count them out because they're down 1-2 in a best of 7, then good luck I guess.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah sure but also boy they sure aren't giving off that inevitable vibe at the moment

BahamutZERO.gif
    if klay and kd come back for game 4 i wouldn't feel real great about being up 2-1 if i was toronto.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I think maybe Klay will be back for game 4, but KD seems less likely as the days pass. Curry may be pretty wiped out as well.

klay is 100% back for game 4, already confirmed. the warriors seemed content to more or less give game 3 since they wanted him to have the functional week to rest since the time between games is so long. reports are he wanted to play in game 3 but they asked him not to.

reports are also saying kd is optimistic for game 4 return and they were working him into practices pre-game 3.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Dixon wrote: »
    I think maybe Klay will be back for game 4, but KD seems less likely as the days pass. Curry may be pretty wiped out as well.

Klay will be back, but likely not at 100%.

KD might play, but even if he does he hasn’t played in almost a month.

I also think GS made a big mistake playing Curry and Draymond so many minutes last night. Those guys were gassed (and Steph was already dehydrated for game 2) at the end of the game, and they play tomorrow.

Klay hurt himself by trying to draw a foul. It's hilarious he hurt himself doing the splits on a 3 pointer while pretty much untouched.

Klay hurt himself by trying to draw a foul. It's hilarious he hurt himself doing the splits on a 3 pointer while pretty much untouched.

jesus christ no he didn't. he got hip checked by danny green.

why do people listen to jeff van gundy literally ever.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    People like to hate. If it was that same exact play reversed, with Kawhi getting bumped and subsequently injured, the pitchforks would be out and Klay would be the dirtiest player to ever play the game.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've watched that like two dozen times now, even slowly manually scrolling the timer, where's the hip check?

Psykoma on
    There’s contact, but it seems pretty light. I think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to call it a hip check.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    JVG and Mark Jackson are the basketball equivalent of Fox News.

KD officially not playing Friday.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Part of it is that during the broadcast they only showed the reverse angle when talking about his injury. You can't see the contact on that one and it looks like he hurt himself trying to draw contact.

Apparently the minority owner who pushed Lowry has been suspended from all team activities, not just the finals.

Carpy on
    Yeah the contact looks pretty light. The landing is awkward though. Like he tried to make it seem worse and went too far with it

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently the minority owner who pushed Lowry has been suspended from all team activities, not just the finals.

Warriors going into damage control overdrive, aka the "we never even knew this guy, he's a friend of a friend of a cousin, someone left the back door unlocked and he snuck in, we never liked him anyway"

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah the contact looks pretty light. The landing is awkward though. Like he tried to make it seem worse and went too far with it

If you get hit unexpectedly in the hip midair it throws you completely off balance. We aren't talking about two guys trying to go for a rebound. Klay jumps straight up and then his entire center of gravity is shifted from under him from behind.

edited June 2019
    Maximum wrote: »
    Seriously, Golden State is one Draymond Green suspension away from winning four championships in a row. If you're willing to count them out because they're down 1-2 in a best of 7, then good luck I guess.

Yeah the Cavs only managed to beat them three times when Green was on the court. Surely it would be impossible for them to beat them a fourth! Oh and they were also one Klay going super saiyan game away from missing the Finals entirely.

Hot take:
    The Bogut injury was the actual killer for GS in that series.

Butters on
    edited June 2019

If you get hit unexpectedly in the hip midair it throws you completely off balance. We aren't talking about two guys trying to go for a rebound. Klay jumps straight up and then his entire center of gravity is shifted from under him from behind.

While normally I agree, he didn't really go off balance, he just split his legs apart too far and then his feet slid on the floor. Not really off balance, it wasn't a hard enough hit, his top half doesn't really react much.

EDIT: That hit in the 4th when Siakam I think got the ball off a pass and ran into someone was bad, im surprised he got up so quickly on that one.

Dixon on

Ok, you're right. It's pretty clear he got bumped from that angle.

This discussion has been closed.