As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Generally FE games take place all over the continent, so the Church is probably going to be pulling the strings all the way until the end forcing conflict between the three kingdoms until MC gets their shit together.

It might be interesting if it mostly took place between the officer academy and the nearby church's main cathedral.

Building vs Building makes me wish there was some way to make a FE version of the FF8 Garden Battle but that is probably only possible in the outrealms.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This chapter 19 Kitsune mission is ridiculous.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yes it is. I think I ended up low-maning that mission, as too many of my units were super vulnerable to those damn foxes. I just took a couple mobile powerhouses into the field.

//

There's a small preview of the next Famitsu article out. It has two villain designs that I super was not expecting based on everything else we've seen of the game. Which is exciting:
    ub0htyk2006h.jpg
    [Edit: Translations are roughly: Reaper Knight/The Knight of Death, and The King of Flames/Flame Emperor.]

//

Oh, and I didn't post the last two twitter bios, so...

Raphael Kirsten

"I'm hungry... I can't wait until meal time... If only the cafeteria was all-you-can-eat... It's prime time to beef up my muscles..."

The son of a Leicester merchant family. He has had a tough life, as his parents passed away in an unfortunate accident, but he is quite optimistic, and all he worries about every day are the cafeteria menu and training his muscles to become a great knight. However, it seems he has little interest in sitting at lectures.

"Look at my body! I'm buffer than usual, aren't I?"

Bernadetta von Varley

*humming* "Huh? Ah, um, well, I was on my way back to my room! See you!"

The only daughter of the Varley Dukedom. Extremely shy towards strangers, so much that the only place she feels at ease while far away from home is her room in the dormitory. When not attending lectures she spends her time hiding there, getting absorbed in her hobbies.

"Y-y-you saw everything!? Why? Why were you watching!?"

(Translations from Twitter.)

Based on the Famitsu preview, tomorrow we should get a bio for Ashe (Blue Lions archer) and Lysithea (Golden Deer mage) on Friday.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This chapter 20 gimmick is even worse.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Another giant Famitsu info dump was released today; here's a Twitter thread with some initial translations:

Serenes Forest with some additional information; they're gonna post a second article later today:

https://serenesforest.net/2019/05/29/three-houses-famitsu-third-article-part-1-2-early-story-battle-system-new-classes/

F I S H I N G M I N I G A M E
    I
    S
    H
    I
    N
    G

M
    I
    N
    I
    G
    A
    M
    E

Inject this game straight into my veins please

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Here's the Twitter bio for Ashe (with translations):

"It's all thanks to my adopted father, Lord Renaud, that a commoner like me got to enroll in the Officer's Academy. He's strict but also kind, and a model knight... I want to grow up and become someone like him."

The adopted son of Lord Renaud, the landlord of the Gaspard territory in the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus. Ashe holds great respect and gratitude towards the man who took him in, raised him as his own, and sent him to the Officer's Academy despite him being a commoner. He is a serious young boy, who studies and trains hard so he can become an outstanding adult like his benefactor.

"So that's how it is... You're amazing, teacher."

//

The Famitsu article shows that (minor plot spoilers, I guess):
    Ashe's adopted father rebels from Faerghus' authority and attacks the Church.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Mini-games in Persona Emblem?!

I am so very happy right now.

Just please don't make it take time like Persona fishing... it really limits how much fun you can have with it.

DemonStacey on
    edited May 2019
    The Famitsu article revealed the names of some of the faculty, which match with what the leaker said they were. So it seems there are some legitimate spoilers floating around.

p5rb4g43pga5.jpg

(Green haired guy is Setes, mustachio'd knight is ~Alois, and the awesome lady is Catherine.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Another giant Famitsu info dump was released today; here's a Twitter thread with some initial translations:

Serenes Forest with some additional information; they're gonna post a second article later today:

https://serenesforest.net/2019/05/29/three-houses-famitsu-third-article-part-1-2-early-story-battle-system-new-classes/

I
    S
    H
    I
    N
    G

M
    I
    N
    I
    G
    A
    M
    E

Can you pet the fish's faces? :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I
    S
    H
    I
    N
    G

M
    I
    N
    I
    G
    A
    M
    E

Can you pet the fish's faces? :P

PUlUXlrl.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The Academy strikes me as, well, My Castle. The place to tool around in and prepare for the next Chapter, except much expanded than it had been.

And one thing I really enjoyed doing in My Castle was redesigning the place over and over again according the my aesthetic whims at the time. I'd really like to spruce up the Academy according to my moods as well, but alas, I don't think it's in the cards.

Still, one can hope.

"That new teacher is rearranging all the shrubbery and statues again. I even hear he kicked down a wall and said he wanted to move a class... something about team instinct not being allowed..."

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I
    S
    H
    I
    N
    G

M
    I
    N
    I
    G
    A
    M
    E

Everyone else wants to make couples and form strategic marriages.

I'll be fishing the rivers to the brink of extinction.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I really like how the Reaper Knight's mask design makes him look concerned as he threatens you:
    zim1rhzddgu1.jpg

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    "Are you sure the Church has your best interests in mind? I'm just worried about you, buddy!"

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    edited June 2019
    Just finished chapter 21, and this plot is mind numbingly stupid. I just want to punch Corrin in the face.

Good lord, grow a spine. Gameplay wise, though... it's easily the most difficult FE I've ever played.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    That's Conquest for ya.

At the risk of Fire Emblem overdose with the new game coming up I got Fire Emblem Echoes for my birthday. It's very good!

The game is so breezy though. I haven't had to restart my game once- Mila's Timewheel is such an overpowering safety net. It's... not a bad thing but... there's so little tension in the battles. No fear of making a mistake that can't be undone. No need to double-check the danger that archer might pose. I miss it... although... it is nice to not waste time on stupid mistakes like "I misclicked a unit and now it will die". It's also nice to move quickly through the game. Although the game certainly likes to spawn extra battles and throw them at you to waste your time in other ways... it's quite difficult to avoid accidental grinding in this game!

Man I had actually forgotten this Echoes has no weapon triangle too. It's quite the outlier from what I normally expect from Fire Emblem but I am loving it all the same. I wonder what experiments will make it over into Three Kingdoms. Three... Houses? Dammit I think Total War is confusing me.

Another thing I have loved is that I generally try to level all of my units pretty equally. Keep them within a nice power band of each other. No crazy "Robin will solo this entire map with Nosferatu" stuff. Combined arms tactics means keeping all the arms even and strong! Normally FE games make you choose a sub-set of your units to deploy but Echoes is pretty generous. Outside of dungeons you always have your full army! I like that.

That being said...
    Act 4-5 spoilers
    I am on the precipice of entering Duma Tower after completing Alm's Act 4 story and it feels like the rest of the game will be based on the ten units I can take into that dungeon... that sorta sucks. Should I drop resources into powering up ten units? What about Celica's crew? There are a lot of strange unknowns right now.

The VA in the game is very good too. Berkut's character is really made by his voice actor. What a performance to capture the entitled, desperate, whiny garbage can of a person that Berkut is. I'm always impressed with those scenes.
    Poor lil' Rinea is definitely gunna get sacrificed on the altar of his bruised ego. Poor girl, you only existed to get refrigerator'd basically...

Conquest does feel pretty balanced. I don't think I have any one unit that can solo a map.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Shephard, do NOT open this spoiler until you have resolved Berkut's arc.
    I find your choice of phrasing w.r.t. Rinea's fate deeply ironic.

:lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Conquest does feel pretty balanced. I don't think I have any one unit that can solo a map.

Echoes feels fairly similar just because most units are extremely stratified in 'I am a resistance monster' or 'I got a defense'. Not a lot of in-between units aside from Mathilda.

The limited and simplified supports was sort of a bummer at first but it is fun to have some Canon murderous couples like Clive and Mathilda rampage across the battlefield while complimenting each other.

There are some good characters in echoes in general! Mae is a character I saw in FE: Heroes and thought she seemed a bit lame but her bubbliness and (once again) gear voice acting in Echoes makes her a treat!

For any Canucks: Amazon.ca currently has Three Houses for a $65 pre-order (down from $80).

This castle storming mission, it's actually designed in a way that I feel like I am storming a castle. So many possible approaches, it's nuts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Conquest is probably my favorite FE campaign from a gameplay standpoint.

The plot/writing is just so tragically...tragically terrible.

Is Revelations worth playing after this, or is it just more of the same?

Worse, do I have to play Birthright too?

wVEsyIc.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Is Revelations worth playing after this, or is it just more of the same?

Worse, do I have to play Birthright too?

Birthright might be a bit of a letdown after all the great mission objectives in Conquest.

I found Birthright to be a total waste after Conquest. The enemy units almost never have skills and you just fight back stat-block generic enemies in massive waves on most maps until you win.

I don't remember any additional interesting context of "what the hell is actually going on" from Birthright either. It doesn't cover any real new ground. The story is far more generic compared to Conquest which considering that Conquest's logic is painful... well it's an upgrade of sorts but I don't think either are very good.

I can't comment on Revelations because I burnt out on Birthright foolishly. I still do want to try it though... maybe after Echoes.

I have Echoes queued up after this, and I hear it's much better.

wVEsyIc.png
    I have Echoes queued up after this, and I hear it's much better.

It's a much improved port of Gaiden for the NES. But it's still a port of Gaiden for the NES.

Some of the maps and challenges are pretty great. Some... not so much.

Birthright's storytelling is better than Conquest's, but still poor. The gameplay is a step down, but still pretty good. I prefer the Conquest cast, but I know many hold the opposite position. It also has a few more of the "new" classes (Oni Savages, Mechanists, Kinshii Knights, etc.), whereas Conquest felt slightly more traditionally focused (Knights, Cavaliers, Mercenaries, etc). If you're jonesing for more Fire Emblem it's a solid option, but there's no pressing need to seek it out.

Revelation is - well, I've said before: it's more. All the characters in a story that tries to "reveal the truth" but which ends up a big confused mess. I enjoyed playing it, but was very much in a mood for its nonsense. (And it has more of the amazing Fateswakening style cutscenes, so if you're not playing the game at least look those up.)

Echoes is brilliant in a number of ways. Great presentation, fun characters, and a magic system that I really like. (Characters learn spells, and spend HP to cast them. This means that you don't have to worry about using up a really good tome or staff, negating the common "save it for when I'll need it" effect that leads me to never using them.) The map design though... while occasionally memorable, is usually pretty bad. And you'll get tired quickly of the dungeon maps.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    The dungeon maps in Exhoes would have been more interesting if they’d been a literal chunk of the dungeon you’d been exploring when you got into the fight. Instead of the exact same map almost every time.

Actually got through Chapter 24 in one go, almost done with 25... I think.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So the latest trailer pretty much confirms what a lot of us were thinking.
    Totally gonna be a time skip.

This also confirms that leak that's been making the rounds, so watch out for further spoilers around the internet.

Should I give a spoiler warning for a trailer? Whatever, spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nVt0EntCAQ

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea kinda sucks they decided to spoil that.

Would have been awesome to have seen a surprise like that in game.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's revealed in an official trailer, it's not really a spoiler. We can give it a few days, but I don't really wanna use spoiler tags for that specific thing up until release.

Although, I will say that trailer made me consider doing a Blue Lions playthrough.

Not as my first one, that's still gonna be Black Eagles. But at some point.

Although, I will say that trailer made me consider doing a Blue Lions playthrough.

Not as my first one, that's still gonna be Black Eagles. But at some point.

I'm not really a fan of Edelgard's new outfit. Claude looked badass though, and he was my least favorite before today.

I gotta say the one thing I am most excited about apparantly really confirming the leak at this point is..
    I asked the leaker directly if you could mix and match the house members and they said that you can. You just can't mix and match the leaders. So Claude is 100% my choice now that I can use him without the other members of his house.

This discussion has been closed.