As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PHOTOGENOCIDE

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey Gafoots.

Nice av.

;)

Sheri on
  • Options
    supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    phonehand -> I found this link. I was going to try it out myself when I got the chance. If you're subjects are friends and you don't mind being laughed at, you may wanna try this. Good for eliminating shadows.

http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm

superglue on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    POPE FLOOD

(We seldom get fall colors here in Austin, so I am totally in love with the colors we're getting this year!)

Picture-021b.jpg

Guess which color is the original...

Picture-021.jpg

Picture-004.jpg

Picture-002.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And one to go along with my other cityscapes:

Picture-018-1.jpg

As always, crits and comments are invited.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Those leaves are really beautiful, especially that last one.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    tired.jpg

somaliacm6.jpg

vein.jpg

resprayrn1.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JAmp, I'm usually not a fan of your landscapes...but damn you have impressed me with that one. Very nice.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Those two middle images are really great, Jamp.

Pope, that last one is nice. Not sure what it is, but that's what makes me like the image so much.

Jonis on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JAmp

Clean your room

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JAmp, you're making me want to drive home to go take shots of an abandoned jail that's going to be knocked down in a month or so. Home happens to be 3 hours away and I don't have gas money. Thanks alot, jerk. :P

[spoiler:f8db003456]Excellent shots, I love every single one. I think it was an excellent choice to desaturate all but the 2nd, and the 2nd shows its colors well. Where were these shots taken? What's the history behind the building? I love hearing about adventures/shoots like this.[/spoiler:f8db003456]

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like the top one the best, Jamp. The composition is nice with the multiple focal points. First I see the tire because of the highest contrast then the hole in the door, then the graffiti on the door. They make a nice circular motion, keeping my eyes in the frame. I don't know if you intentionally kept the saturation higher on the tags but it works well.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nucsh wrote:
    JAmp, you're making me want to drive home to go take shots of an abandoned jail that's going to be knocked down in a month or so. Home happens to be 3 hours away and I don't have gas money. Thanks alot, jerk. :P

[spoiler:7410712acc]Excellent shots, I love every single one. I think it was an excellent choice to desaturate all but the 2nd, and the 2nd shows its colors well. Where were these shots taken? What's the history behind the building? I love hearing about adventures/shoots like this.[/spoiler:7410712acc]

"A quarry Has been on this site since 1851 finally ceasing production in 1991 with final closure of a distribution center in 1997. The owners had no obligation to demolish the buildings or restore the landscape to its natural state, so production was simply stopped. The site now stands abandoned while officials attempt to determine its fate."

Dubbed the cement works this place is god damn faba to take pictures in but a bit sketchy to get in to and around without being spotted, I think the place is in some kind of use all the time (mostly for dropping off huge truckloads of rubble) and seems to only be deserted and locked up tight every other Sunday. The plan is to go back on this day and get in to the main complex (which is far larger than these little control rooms). Also worthy of note is the sheer awesomeness of being a foot away from a 200ft drop. I’m not sure how sturdy the suspended walkways are but the buildings seem pretty dilapidated and when you're not choking on concrete dust you're in constant fear of being impaled on rusty paint covered metal girders.

There is a lot of history in this place when you are shuffling through the debris (including hundreds of empty spray cans) there is even a rusted punch card machine for the start and end of your shift. More than taking pictures though I love the excitement of exploring and being somewhere you shouldn't be, I learned a valuable lesson today also that I shouldn't carry too much when I go there, I had a tripod, film SLR and 3 lenses, digital SLR, flash and 3 more lenses as well as my other kit and a film compact. Made getting around the tight spaces a real bitch. Anyways I have tonnes more to get through as well as a lot of stuff taken on film.

Staleghoti: No, I like sleeping in my own filth :D

And ta everyone for the niceness.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    JAmp5 wrote:
    Nucsh wrote:

[spoiler:08b3869ce6]Excellent shots, I love every single one. I think it was an excellent choice to desaturate all but the 2nd, and the 2nd shows its colors well. Where were these shots taken? What's the history behind the building? I love hearing about adventures/shoots like this.[/spoiler:08b3869ce6]

"A quarry Has been on this site since 1851 finally ceasing production in 1991 with final closure of a distribution center in 1997. The owners had no obligation to demolish the buildings or restore the landscape to its natural state, so production was simply stopped. The site now stands abandoned while officials attempt to determine its fate."

Dubbed the cement works this place is god damn faba to take pictures in but a bit sketchy to get in to and around without being spotted, I think the place is in some kind of use all the time (mostly for dropping off huge truckloads of rubble) and seems to only be deserted and locked up tight every other Sunday. The plan is to go back on this day and get in to the main complex (which is far larger than these little control rooms). Also worthy of note is the sheer awesomeness of being a foot away from a 200ft drop. I’m not sure how sturdy the suspended walkways are but the buildings seem pretty dilapidated and when you're not choking on concrete dust you're in constant fear of being impaled on rusty paint covered metal girders.

There is a lot of history in this place when you are shuffling through the debris (including hundreds of empty spray cans) there is even a rusted punch card machine for the start and end of your shift. More than taking pictures though I love the excitement of exploring and being somewhere you shouldn't be, I learned a valuable lesson today also that I shouldn't carry too much when I go there, I had a tripod, film SLR and 3 lenses, digital SLR, flash and 3 more lenses as well as my other kit and a film compact. Made getting around the tight spaces a real bitch. Anyways I have tonnes more to get through as well as a lot of stuff taken on film.

This sounds exactly like the jail, except the jail straddles a main road and the only part of the jail that isn't swarming with NCDOT is the filled quarry on the back of the property.

Nucsh on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sorry to break up the party. ;)

IMG_3057b1.jpg

JAmp, you know they're great. Third is my favorite.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Nucsh wrote:
    This sounds exactly like the jail, except the jail straddles a main road and the only part of the jail that isn't swarming with NCDOT is the filled quarry on the back of the property.

This place has a main road cutting it in two also. There were two ways to get across originally, the first was a corrugated conveyor tunnel that was about 20ft above the road and connected the main production building with the distribution centre and offices (now severed), the second is a tiny (and fucking scary) tunnel that goes under the road in to the 2nd site. This other side is smaller and mostly filled with abandoned office spaces and series of carts about the size of a minivan for moving cement on to the now disused and buried railway line. They now use this place for storing busses and old mobile homes (which make up a nice little zombie village) but I have yet to get on to this bit. And I read in the local paper that someone had hidden a grow room here :D

So basically Nucsh get off your ass and go exploring :^:

*how very serene sheri *breathes a deep breath*

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    JAmp5 wrote:
    So basically Nucsh get off your ass and go exploring :^:

Give me a week or so and I'll be back home doing aerial work for the production company I freelance with who's using the jail for their most recent film endeavor. I've been through the jail before with the crew, but I was sans camera (aside from the Canon XL2 I was using to shoot behind the scenes work for a music video).

Nucsh on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Urban exploration is fucking dope. There's an abandoned hospital just a few minutes by foot from my house. I've been in it once and saw some crazy stuff. There's a morgue, crematorium, all kinds of crazy pathways in the basement and just general weird medical instruments everywhere. The place is like 10 stories with 200+ rooms. I got busted by the cops when I went and now they have 24/7 guard on the place with dogs ready to unleash on you because some dumbass kid went in there while high and fell down an elevator shaft and died or some shit. I want in there soooo bad. I've contacted the owners of the thing and they won't let anyone in because of liability.

Here are a couple pics of it.

hospital.jpg

hospital1.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    torchesjc4.jpg

I'm impartial to torches.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JAmp5 wrote:

Very . . . Ansel Adams-ish-ness-ful. :^:
    Sheri wrote:

Your latest photos have been very blue, but in a good way. :^:

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shake: like the middle one, nice creamy looking smoke

saltiness: like all of the stuff the last 2 pages, except the first one in the first group

sheri: also nice

pope: the last one is great. the big thing in the corner kinda appears like it could be a sand dune or something, then the little duct vent/chimney thing gives it away as a building, which I dig

JAmp: like the landscape, lots of values, I feel a larger print would do it justice, to let the detail in the rock in the bg and the water and the grass up front to come out

phonehand: i like that portrait. dunno why but I do

smart hero: keep shooting and posting. feedback will make you bettar

fresh: love the one with all the cars, effect accomplished well :^:
    might want to crop some of the blurry top out though

edit: staleghoti and phonehand reminded me of this site

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

has some useful flash stuff

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sheri wrote:

Your latest photos have been very blue, but in a good way. :^:

I like blue.

Sheri on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I apologize in advance for my bad pictures, present and future.

It was very cold and grey today, so I couldn't really feel my hands during any of these. Either way, here you go, religion and balls.

OhJesus.jpg

Mary.jpg

MoreBawls.jpg

BallsLawl.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    I like blue.

Me too.

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nucsh wrote:
    seeing the match lit and then being extinguished would be a much more interesting subject to me.

finality4.jpg

master_shake on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I apologize in advance for my bad pictures, present and future.

It was very cold and grey today, so I couldn't really feel my hands during any of these. Either way, here you go, religion and balls.

Overcast skies are not condusive to photography. Some of these would improve had they been exposed slightly longer, or had a better light source to illuminate the subject. Though you have no control over the lighting, you still have post processing options.

Simple level editing in photoshop along with dodging/burning can be effective in making a bad photo good. However, you shouldn't rely on this to make up for poor balancing.

yargce1.jpg

I edited the levels very slightly, making the grey areas a little whiter and the darks a little darker. I then went in with a dodge/burn tool to make certain areas that weren't effected by the level edit to make them pop out a little more.

Hope this helps you out somewhat.

Also, that second photograph has a handpainted quality to it, I dig it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forbe! wrote:
    However, you shouldn't rely on this to make up for poor balancing.

Cannot emphasize this enough.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sometimes it is impossible to avoid unless you have an assitant to carry around a lamp with you, or have invested the money in a stand-alone flash.

Though, UnknownSaint it looks as though you didnt change the aperture/shutter speed while you were taking these, which would result in bland unbalanced photo. Getting familiar with the light-meter in your camera would probably be a good idea.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thank you once again for the advice!

Yeah, I woke up today and thought it would be a little brighter, but it really wasn't, and I didn't feel like not doing anything while there was still some light, though I understand the conditions are pretty bad.

And yeah, I noticed that about the second one, I probably should have gone with a higher ISO and made it a little grainier intentionally to see if it would improve that quality a bit.
    Though, UnknownSaint it looks as though you didnt change the aperture/shutter speed while you were taking these, which would result in bland unbalanced photo. Getting familiar with the light-meter in your camera would probably be a good idea.

Y'know, I'll be honest with you, I do use various apertures and shutter speeds, but I think it's more to make up for bad lighting and not to improve the overall effect. I still have a lot to learn though, so I'll just try to pay attention to it a bit better from now on. Thanks!

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forbe! wrote:
    Sometimes it is impossible to avoid unless you have an assitant to carry around a lamp with you, or have invested the money in a stand-alone flash.

I know, I'm just emphasizing that it's never a good idea to take a picture and go 'Oh, I'll just fix that in Photoshop.' It's especially not a good idea (and I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to UnknownSaint) to not know how to work your camera to get the best shot, and to just leave it up to Photoshop.

That wasn't really directed at anyone. I just felt like ranting. ;)

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I agree, and I wasn't directing it at you, just continuing from the last post based upon what you said.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forbe! wrote:
    I agree, and I wasn't directing it at you, just continuing from the last post based upon what you said.

Let's just keep agreeing, then!

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I agree to disagree.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forbe! wrote:
    I agree to disagree.

But we were agreeing!

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I disagree.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    fags

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    no u

Okay srsly photos

IMG_3080b1.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Photos, eh?

I set up an amateurish studio yesterday to do some quick headshots for my friend.

dsc0175bng9.jpg

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sheri just cannot keep people from sucking her dick

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    That girl is gorgeous. Tell her grats.

torches2wa2.jpg

More fire. Sorry. I'm doing a demonstration speech tomorrow and i'm showing people how to use an oxy-acetylene torch. Had to set up a camera to take pictures of the torch in use as examples (too dangerous to bring in cylinders of compressed gas, i guess).

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
This discussion has been closed.