As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    Where's the entrance during the melt? I missed it the first time I landed and would rather just know so I don't have to keep doing the landing.
    at the part closest to the sun

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    Where's the entrance during the melt? I missed it the first time I landed and would rather just know so I don't have to keep doing the landing.
    Do you mean at the top? Like the surface?its on the very middle of the top, where the crack is

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    cursedking wrote: »
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    Do you mean at the top? Like the surface?its on the very middle of the top, where the crack is
    hmmm, I guess I missed the crack. Like it's a crack crack, not just where the ice runs?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    A lot of things about this game are pretty good but waiting for 35 fucking minutes for sand to fall sure did kill my immersion for the ending

The game only lasts 22 minutes at a time! :)
    Yeah that's why I ran out of time 3 times and died 2 times. The entire Ember and Ash Twin implementation is 10x more troll than it needed to be
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    I'm pretty sure you can't miss it if you're standing in the cracks on the sun side, the whole thing melts

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    hmmm, I guess I missed the crack. Like it's a crack crack, not just where the ice runs?
    there's a crack in the rock near the head of it that's full or ice

The ice melts out of the crack when it gets close to the sun

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Hey, so, Interloper.
    On its nose you can see the fissure and where it's filled in with ice. It will melt approximately when it gets to the twins' orbit.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Quantum Grove
    not looking for the solution, but can i get a yes/no on whether there's a puzzle to solve here? the poem seems like it's supposed to be a hint, i'm getting the vibe that maybe i'm supposed to corral the trees together to block out my vision so that i can ride the rock around, like the cave shard

• Options
    Quantum Grove
    not looking for the solution, but can i get a yes/no on whether there's a puzzle to solve here? the poem seems like it's supposed to be a hint, i'm getting the vibe that maybe i'm supposed to corral the trees together to block out my vision so that i can ride the rock around, like the cave shard
    it's just to teach you about how Quantum observation works.

• Options
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

back to the drawing board on how the fuck to get to the upper level of the quantum tower then

• Options
    i would appreciate an option to fastforward time in this game

• Options
    The actual ending was good enough that I calmed down, but I am still annoyed they created these timers without a meditate for 5 minutes button.
    i would appreciate an option to fastforward time in this game
    I DON'T LIKE SAND IT'S COARSE AND ROUGH AND GETS EVERYWHERE

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just finished as well and the timers didn't bother me. they only came up ever once or twice. What a solid game. I really enjoyed it. I had to look up a couple things to get me through, but for the most part I was able to figure it all out.

Man what a great experience. I loved it all.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

back to the drawing board on how the fuck to get to the upper level of the quantum tower then

Here are some vague hints:
    Under what conditions would you not care about whether you had a footpath?
    You can't access the Tower of Quantum Knowledge from inside The Hollow.
    Really think about what you can observe by shooting a probe at the tower.
    You already answered how to access the tower on this page.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

yeah the time limit remark was in reference to the next idea i had

near end game question
    wherrrre should i be looking to find a hint on how to get to the core of Ash Twin? All my notes say is that the project was in the core, and i just blew twenty minutes flying around in circles waiting for the sand to drain and couldn't find any entrances

if there's no in game hints beyond that, can someone point me towards where I should be looking? it just takes too dang long for the sand to drain for me to wanna hunt around randomly until i find it

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

near end game question
    wherrrre should i be looking to find a hint on how to get to the core of Ash Twin? All my notes say is that the project was in the core, and i just blew twenty minutes flying around in circles waiting for the sand to drain and couldn't find any entrances

if there's no in game hints beyond that, can someone point me towards where I should be looking? it just takes too dang long for the sand to drain for me to wanna hunt around randomly until i find it
    Consider the nature of the structures on Ash Twin, and what they all do and what each one involves. Think about what the notes on the Ash Twin towers you find in the High Energy Lab say, as well.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

near end game question

Consider the nature of the structures on Ash Twin, and what they all do and what each one involves. Think about what the notes on the Ash Twin towers you find in the High Energy Lab say, as well.
    hhhuh.

so, i know that there's six warps instead of five, and that the building that i assume corresponds to ash twin has its own warp, and i'm guessing that that's how you get to the core. buuuuuut i can't figure out how to trigger it

not necessarily looking for it to be spelled out yet, i'll give it another look in the morning. it's frustrating to be this close to the end and not be able to figure out the last puzzle piece!

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Quantum Grove
    wellll nuts

near end game question

hhhuh.

so, i know that there's six warps instead of five, and that the building that i assume corresponds to ash twin has its own warp, and i'm guessing that that's how you get to the core. buuuuuut i can't figure out how to trigger it

not necessarily looking for it to be spelled out yet, i'll give it another look in the morning. it's frustrating to be this close to the end and not be able to figure out the last puzzle piece!
    take a look at the surroundings and see what things you might learn from that

• Options
    Actually, since I looked it up because I was mad, why is the
    warp pad to Ash Twin Project only active when Ember is inconveniently overhead? Obviously there's the gameplay reason but in the story since it's below you shouldn't it always be lined up

• Options
    warp pad to Ash Twin Project only active when Ember is inconveniently overhead? Obviously there's the gameplay reason but in the story since it's below you shouldn't it always be lined up
    There are several messages about the pains they went to seal the core, I imagine it has to do with that.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

The best explanation I saw for this is
    The interior is rotating and is synced up with Ember. That's why you can get out immediately when you disable to artificial gravity, it just locks onto the pad at that point. It's maybe the worst puzzle in the whole game though.

• Options
    okay yeah i broke down and read these spoilers and i'm glad i did, that doesn't make any sense with the pre-established rules
    also that's what i already tried, i guess it didn't work because i got vacuumed up by the sand column and you have to wait til that's clear?

• Options
    okay yeah i broke down and read these spoilers and i'm glad i did, that doesn't make any sense with the pre-established rules
    also that's what i already tried, i guess it didn't work because i got vacuumed up by the sand column and you have to wait til that's clear?
    it's right when it's at the middle. if you wait for the sand vacuum to clear it won't work.

• Options
    it's right when it's at the middle. if you wait for the sand vacuum to clear it won't work.
    that makes sense, since if i'm right about what i have to do i'll have to book it to dark bramble afterward

which, boy oh boy am i not too excited about having to go to the #1 death trap in the entire game after standing around waiting for the warp to lemme in

• Options
    edited June 2019
    that makes sense, since if i'm right about what i have to do i'll have to book it to dark bramble afterward

which, boy oh boy am i not too excited about having to go to the #1 death trap in the entire game after standing around waiting for the warp to lemme in

yeah, it's not the worst time crunch but it's enough to make you uncomfortable

endgame spoilers, seriously
    also for me, I didn't want to chance it, so my steps were:

do the thing in Ash Twin
    Fly to bramblepelt
    fly to the escape pod/mass grave
    shoot a scout into the seed
    use that to have a direct pinpoint to the vessel
    fly to the vessel using basically no power at first because that opening is swarming with fishies

cursedking on
  • Options

do the thing in Ash Twin
    Fly to bramblepelt
    fly to the vessel using basically no power at first because that opening is swarming with fishies

yeah that's basically what my gameplan is

• Options

do the thing in Ash Twin
    Fly to bramblepelt

yeah that's basically what my gameplan is

yeah that's what I did

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So there is a trick to make the last section a bit faster. I was able to do it first try no problem.

Spoilers for this obviously!
    If you've been to the vessel before, go to your computer on your ship and set it to show up on the hud. It will give you the directions to the correct nodes (red first!) inside Dark Bramble without having to burn time going to the pod.

Tips for Dark Bramble as well. As you approach the first node, make sure you are aligned decently and as you enter the node burn a bit (but let off as you transition), you should come out with enough momentum to get you through the anglers to the eggs, where you can re-align to the final node to the vessel. I had no time constraints this way.

Extra spoiler, this is just a tip really for the final final part
    write down the code to the eye, its in your computer but when you need it you can't access it.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So there is a trick to make the last section a bit faster. I was able to do it first try no problem.

If you've been to the vessel before, go to your computer on your ship and set it to show up on the hud. It will give you the directions to the correct nodes (red first!) inside Dark Bramble without having to burn time going to the pod.

Tips for Dark Bramble as well. As you approach the first node, make sure you are aligned decently and as you enter the node burn a bit (but let off as you transition), you should come out with enough momentum to get you through the anglers to the eggs, where you can re-align to the final node to the vessel. I had no time constraints this way.

write down the code to the eye, its in your computer but when you need it you can't access it.

Code will show up in the bottom left hand corner of the screen when you need it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Oh man that would have helped me.
    end spoilers
    I made it to the eggs and then panicked trying to figure out which node had the vessel in it since I didn't think I had enough time to go to the escape pod grave first and very nearly got anglerfished.

• Options
    my only wish is that you could kill those eggs before the sun does

• Options
    edited June 2019
    The good news is that when you're doing the ending
    failing doesn't reset your progress even though by the story it should
    Although that would be very obnoxious since
    completing the Sixth Place is kind of a hassle and a nice part of the ending (and I believe necessary for the post-credits scene)

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Ending
    I had to do this like seven times (more if you include the times I died trying to get there), because I thought the "up" light on the coordinate column just made the column raise, because by fiddling around with it before, it DOES make it do that when you don't have the new warp corp in, or if you have it set to the warp bubble.

I thought you were supposed to input the coordinates, turn the power towards the personal warp bubble and use that to get the to Eye. I could NOT for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ending
    I had to do this like seven times (more if you include the times I died trying to get there), because I thought the "up" light on the coordinate column just made the column raise, because by fiddling around with it before, it DOES make it do that when

I thought you were supposed to input the coordinates, turn the power towards the personal warp bubble and use that to get the to Eye. I could NOT for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong.
    Yeah I had the same problem. Like I said, I hate sand...

• Options
    One thing I do wish. Character/other explorer spoilers
    I wish there was more you could do with Gabbro. I get that it seems like the game doesn't support/isn't built to have someone do other stuff, but he's aware! of the loops! and he just kind of sits there.

I wish there was stuff you could update him on, that he was more active since he actually found a mask.

Like, you could even have a sub-quest of trying to spend loops getting the other explorers to sync with masks, so you're all looping together, with updated dialogue.

• Options
    One thing I do wish. Character/other explorer spoilers
    I wish there was more you could do with Gabbro. I get that it seems like the game doesn't support/isn't built to have someone do other stuff, but he's aware! of the loops! and he just kind of sits there.

I wish there was stuff you could update him on, that he was more active since he actually found a mask.

Like, you could even have a sub-quest of trying to spend loops getting the other explorers to sync with masks, so you're all looping together, with updated dialogue.
    Yeah it's ridiculous, he has fewer opinions than the guys on Brittle and Ember! I know localization is painful for small studios, but come on, it's just text you can write some more dialogue.

• Options

Code will show up in the bottom left hand corner of the screen when you need it.
    Ahhh. After the big image disappeared I didn't notice it in the lower left. Just like the launch code eh?

I Just alter tabbed out and image searched it.

• Options
    Bramble
    yeah no sorry the angler fish need to be like 20% less sensitive, it's incredibly obnoxious to stand around waiting to pick up the core only to get chomped and have to do it again

• Options
    Bramble
    yeah no sorry the angler fish need to be like 20% less sensitive, it's incredibly obnoxious to stand around waiting to pick up the core only to get chomped and have to do it again
    if you can see any part of their body (except the light of course), don't use your thrusters. You can still turn your ship, but using any directional thrusters will alert them

it takes a while and some patience but just drifting slowly by is how I did it

• Options
    edited June 2019
    finished

that ending was... a lot
    the thing you have to do to unlock it combines my two least favorite parts of the game and also kind of just straight up cheats in a way that i don't understand, but the payoff is extremely worth it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    is it just me or is the "you're almost outta time" music kind of reminiscent of a song from another game about exploring space on a time limit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUs-4u7_i64