As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Or maybe he got hurt during a basketball play, and we don't have to break down every frame like it was the freaking Zapruder film.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah the contact looks pretty light. The landing is awkward though. Like he tried to make it seem worse and went too far with it

If you get hit unexpectedly in the hip midair it throws you completely off balance. We aren't talking about two guys trying to go for a rebound. Klay jumps straight up and then his entire center of gravity is shifted from under him from behind.

While normally I agree, he didn't really go off balance, he just split his legs apart too far and then his feet slid on the floor. Not really off balance, it wasn't a hard enough hit, his top half doesn't really react much.

EDIT: That hit in the 4th when Siakam I think got the ball off a pass and ran into someone was bad, im surprised he got up so quickly on that one.

He didn't go off balance because he split his legs. As someone who is familiar with mid-air collisions, that's probably the safest thing he could've done in that situation. Imagine an alternative where he just lands only on his left leg and doesn't distribute the load, and suddenly his ankle snaps because all of his weight got shoved into it at an awkward angle.

He had no real options in that situation other than to try to spread out your landing as much as possible.

Klay wasn't trying to sell contact. That's a dumbass narrative being peddled by two people who have consistently shown themselves to be wrong on a regular basis.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently the minority owner who pushed Lowry has been suspended from all team activities, not just the finals.

Warriors going into damage control overdrive, aka the "we never even knew this guy, he's a friend of a friend of a cousin, someone left the back door unlocked and he snuck in, we never liked him anyway"

I don't really think it's overdrive. That's the kind of thing they (both the league and any teams involved) need to come down on really hard.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah the contact looks pretty light. The landing is awkward though. Like he tried to make it seem worse and went too far with it

If you get hit unexpectedly in the hip midair it throws you completely off balance. We aren't talking about two guys trying to go for a rebound. Klay jumps straight up and then his entire center of gravity is shifted from under him from behind.

While normally I agree, he didn't really go off balance, he just split his legs apart too far and then his feet slid on the floor. Not really off balance, it wasn't a hard enough hit, his top half doesn't really react much.

EDIT: That hit in the 4th when Siakam I think got the ball off a pass and ran into someone was bad, im surprised he got up so quickly on that one.

He didn't go off balance because he split his legs. As someone who is familiar with mid-air collisions, that's probably the safest thing he could've done in that situation. Imagine an alternative where he just lands only on his left leg and doesn't distribute the load, and suddenly his ankle snaps because all of his weight got shoved into it at an awkward angle.

He had no real options in that situation other than to try to spread out your landing as much as possible.

Klay wasn't trying to sell contact. That's a dumbass narrative being peddled by two people who have consistently shown themselves to be wrong on a regular basis.

lol wouldn't the safest thing to have been to land bending his knees instead of keeping a straight leg? I don't think I'd tried to spread my legs like that. I know if i get hit in mid air I don't try to land wide an incredibly wide stance.

Not quite sure your logic checks out. The thing that seems to have screwed him was when he landed his feet kept going out

Dixon on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I still think Drake should be punished for doing shit like giving a coach a back rub or touching Steph's hair. I get that they're "friends" but not even the actual owner of the team goes up and does shit like that in the middle of a game. It sets a terrible precedent.

Inquisitor77 on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I still think Drake should be punished for doing shit like giving a coach a back rub or touching Steph's hair. I get that they're "friends" but not even the actual owner of the team goes up and does shit like that in the middle of a game. It sets a terrible precedent.

Eh, there’s also intent. Drake sits on the sideline and behaves, for the most part, and is a knucklehead most nights. He shouldn’t ever touch anyone though, I agree there.

But apparently his antics were such that the league had to have a discussion with him and the Raptors.

If I were Drake I’d stir up a huge amount of shit if I had to have a stern talking to compared to what this asshole pulled last night.

I mean, the guy who shoved Lowry literally owns part of an NBA team and he was essentially banned from attending NBA games until the investigation resolves itself (which likely means at least the Finals, perhaps longer).

Drake got a stern talking to, and even then only after being protected by the Raptors franchise first.

Pretty sure Drake got the better end of the deal there in terms of "punishments".

yeah there’s a big difference in context and severity between the two scenarios.

GSW did good in how they reprimanded him and so quickly. Nice to see even though he is a partial owner he can’t pull that shit.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'd be curious if this comes up in a union meeting. LeBron has had quite a bit to say about it on Twitter

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Banned for a year and fined $500K. I'd be surprised if he ever showed his dumb face at another NBA game.

Butters wrote: »
    I'd be curious if this comes up in a union meeting. LeBron has had quite a bit to say about it on Twitter

And yet when Drake directly interacts with the game... *crickets*

Which isn't to say that they are equivalent. But still. If you're going to draw a line in the sand, maybe find something clearer than "this guy pushed me and I didn't like it" vs. "this guy got in my face and touched my hair and I laughed it off".

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I would laugh so hard if that happened to Drake. Remember, as someone earlier in the thread pointed out, Drake is part of the organization.

Dirtyboy on
    Drake doesn't even own a stake in the Raptors. He's just paid to be a "global ambassador".

As a 20+ year player and fan of basketball, I would file Klay's injury under "NBA playoffs normal play". Part of gamesmanship on the court is doing little things to try to mess with other player's game, and by following through on his half-assed attempt to defend he was letting Klay know he's gonna get tagged every time he takes a shot. Kind of like how NFL defenders follow through and hit or bump QB after they pass. It's on the refs to control that stuff, and lots of times they don't see it.

People try to slap, poke, scratch you, yell, trip, anything to prevent you from scoring. I had a guy elbow me in the ribs one time and no one saw it, so on other end of court I waited til he jumped for a rebound and slid into his landing zone and "low bridged" him and left him laid out. I just said oops, sorry.

edited June 2019
    Drake doesn't even own a stake in the Raptors. He's just paid to be a "global ambassador".

Still "part of the organization" and subject to NBA rules. If a Raptors cheerleader, towel person, or any lower level employee pushed a player they would get banned and NBA most likely would fine the team.

The focus of the game should be on the players on the court, not the morons on the sideline.

Dirtyboy on
    Butters wrote: »

And yet when Drake directly interacts with the game... *crickets*

Which isn't to say that they are equivalent. But still. If you're going to draw a line in the sand, maybe find something clearer than "this guy pushed me and I didn't like it" vs. "this guy got in my face and touched my hair and I laughed it off".

Except your clearly trying to treat them like they are. Owner douche apparently was also cursing and screaming at him. Drake was definitely crossing some lines but this dude went way further by basically assaulting a dude at work

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    No, I'm not. I'm pointing out similarities to illustrate the types of problems that can arise when you have ambiguous rules and ambiguous enforcement of them. The entire point is that there isn't always a clear line that delineates acceptable behavior from unacceptable behavior based on how the NBA has treated the Drake situation.

Lets say a fan with courtside seats walked up to Mike D'Antoni in the middle of the game and grabbed him on the shoulders from behind.

Would you consider this assault? What if they know each other? What if they don't but the fan was just really happy and wanted to share his joy? What if MDA felt attacked and retaliated? Who gets to mess with players and who doesn't? Can Obama? What about Nav? Is there going to be a list now?

None of these things are the same, but enforcing and interpreting them become a lot more difficult when you open up that can of worms in the first place. That was my point.

But nah it's cool clearly I just wanted to throw shade at Drake?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    500k to a dude who is a billionare is a paltry sum. Guy is getting off light.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    "The NBPA has previously expressed its support of a 'zero-tolerance policy' with respect to verbal and/or physical assaults perpetrated against players," executive director Michele Roberts said in the statement. "Stevens' status as a member of the ownership group does not alter that view."
    "Mr. Stevens' behavior last night did not reflect the high standards that we hope to exemplify as an organization," the Warriors said in the statement. "We're extremely disappointed in his actions and, along with Mr. Stevens, offer our sincere apology to Kyle Lowry and the Toronto Raptors organization for this unfortunate misconduct. There is no place for such interaction between fans -- or anyone -- and players at an NBA game."

I would not be opposed to seeing him banned for life and forced to sell his stake.

I would not be opposed to seeing him banned for life and forced to sell his stake.

I did see a complaint forcing him to sell his stake would be giving him money, but at the same point this dbag doesn't need the money but losing the prestige of being an owner of the warriors would hurt him more than any money gets out of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Drake shouldn't touch players or interact with them like that. Nobody on the sidelines should do anything beyond jawing with players (and even then, threats/bigotry/racism should get you tossed).

Honestly move the fans back a row. Let us watch the actual basketball game. I don't give a shit about rich people getting to sit on the court.

NBA teams would never move a row back unless ordered to, that is waaaaaaaaaaay too much money to lose per game. If anything, teams keep trying to pack in more rows down front.

Yeah that's a ton of $$$$$ lost for sure

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yes yes I know. Let a lady gripe.

My biggest gripe is mouthguards. WASH THAT SHIT BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK IN YOUR MOUTH OH GOD WHY

Definitely avoid NFL then if you think those mouthguards are nasty.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Lets say a fan with courtside seats walked up to Mike D'Antoni in the middle of the game and grabbed him on the shoulders from behind.

They'd be thrown out. Obviously.

This hypothetical you're posing is not the slam dunk "gotcha" that you think it is.

That fan is not Drake, is not friends with most of the players, and that fan's intentions would also be unknown, where Drake's are not.

This really just comes down to you not seeming to comprehend that it's totally fine to have different standards and rules for different people, and to enforce them differently.

Was reading an article about teams who could potentially be fucked this offseason (Celts, Knicks, Raptors, Lakers, Hornets) and saw that Clippers need to move Gallinari to get two max slots for free agency. He's 30, averages 15pts per game (20 this season). I was thinking he would be a great fit for the Blazers, who desperately need a scoring forward. They would have to ditch a salary or two (Evan Turner makes $17 mil vs $21 mil for Dino) in either a separate deal or three-way. Dame and McCollum each have three years left on contracts and Dino two.

Durant is really earning his cupcakes.

Either his injury is more serious than they are letting on or him and agent saying fuck it and saving themselves for his free agency max contract.

Meanwhile in NHL, guy takes a puck to face, breaks jaw, plays next game...

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Durant has two finals MVPs

I think he's contributed

the Nets are gonna be amazing with Allen/Durant/LeVert/Russell/Kyrie

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Durant would get a max contract next year even if he tears his ACL now. It's very possible the Warriors completely misdiagnosed the injury and it's worse than they initially thought.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Also if you break your jaw you shouldn't go out and play a sport, it's very stupid to do that. The post playoffs injury report from NHL teams is kinda horrifying! They shouldn't do that, it's stupid!

Danny Green disappeared again

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Also if you break your jaw you shouldn't go out and play a sport, it's very stupid to do that. The post playoffs injury report from NHL teams is kinda horrifying! They shouldn't do that, it's stupid!

Yeah its like that dumb meme about Lebron crying because he had a cramp, but a hockey player had a heart attack and wanted to return to action. It's like no that's fucking horrible? If you had a heart attack the last thing you should do is go back to strenous action?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Doris Burke in the fucking tunnel reporting on backup guard's stitches is a fucking tragedy.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    VanVleet ow.

Yeah 7 stitches and a tooth lol

Still looks like raptors got it

Curry and Klay airballing was something to see

niceeeeee 3-1 series.

Klay looked pretty stiff as well.

This discussion has been closed.